Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:11 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
'Meeting James' 
Author Message
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
I'd ask him to trade our glasses. :D


Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:22 pm
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
James

Confession time. In about '03 or '04, while at school in one of our joke classes in which we had ample free time, I maaay have enabled my friend with a cell phone and your googled phone number to leave a vulgar tirade on your answering machine regarding his dissatisfaction with your Dumb and Dumber review while I laughed hysterically in the background (only he had the balls to actually make the call). I even remember the mention of one Charlie Chan on your recording. So sorry about that. Please don't ban me!

These forums have brought about a revelation and now I feel better.


Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:43 pm
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
I dont think I'd really seek out talking with James since I don't even really wish to talk to most famous people. If we ended up in the same room together I'd probably just say I'm regular reader of his site and go from there. Probably very casual.


Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:54 pm
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3185
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
BrianB wrote:
James

Confession time. In about '03 or '04, while at school in one of our joke classes in which we had ample free time, I maaay have enabled my friend with a cell phone and your googled phone number to leave a vulgar tirade on your answering machine regarding his dissatisfaction with your Dumb and Dumber review while I laughed hysterically in the background (only he had the balls to actually make the call). I even remember the mention of one Charlie Chan on your recording. So sorry about that. Please don't ban me!

These forums have brought about a revelation and now I feel better.


In what I hope will not be a blow to your ego - If the call was made, I don't remember it. (Then again, maybe you pranked the wrong person.)


Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:12 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
I'd probably say "Hey, what's up, I love your stuff" If I met you.


Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:19 pm
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
It would be fantastic to meet James. I came onto the site when it was still in "Purple Mode" and am still an enormous fan. I'm so happy that this site is becoming more interactive, I hope the forums become a place where people can not only comment on James' reviews, but on the film industry in general. James, you're making the right move and I can't wait to see what this section becomes.


Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:19 am
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
I would probably offer to buy tickets for a Phillies game. They would have to be playing the Astros, of course. The only thing better than watching movies is going to a ballgame. And talking about movies while drinking a beer at the ballpark.


Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:55 pm
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
I can see a film now ... Being James Berardinelli ... someone's just got to find the portal ;)


Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:37 pm
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
Since I ran into Reel Views over a decade ago, I've emailed James every now and then, and every time got polite and respectful responses(some of my questions weren't even movie related, FWIW).

Hey-not only we've met him via email, but we have him right here! :mrgreen:


Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:55 am
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
James Berardinelli wrote:
Of the thirty-plus current members to the forums, I believe I have only met one face-to-face. I'm far from a recluse, though. I do a lot of public speaking, but almost all of it is local. In fact, this upcoming weekend will be consumed by public speaking, which is one big reason why I'm not opening these forums until next weekend.

Funny thing - in high school, I dreaded public speaking. Now, I love it. In the past 10 years, I have done more than 200 speaking engagements.


Just curious-do you follow the Eagles, Sixers, Flyers, Penn State, and other Philly sports teams as closely and passionately as the Phillies?


Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:25 pm
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3185
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
TunaFanForever wrote:
Just curious-do you follow the Eagles, Sixers, Flyers, Penn State, and other Philly sports teams as closely and passionately as the Phillies?


The only team whose games I attend is the Phillies. I watch the Eagles on TV, although I don't live or die with them (but I rarely miss a game). I don't pay much attention to the Sixers or Flyers - I lost my love of basketball in the '90s and have never been much of a hockey fan. I do pay attention to the local college basketball teams - the Big Five plus Drexel - but usually not until around this time of the year.


Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:29 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
I'd probably have to ask him how he can get so much movie-related "work" done with a full time job? Or, maybe, how does his full time job suffer while he's posting on the net?

His employers must be aware of his "fame" and sideline productivity.


Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:39 pm
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3185
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
Awf Hand wrote:
I'd probably have to ask him how he can get so much movie-related "work" done with a full time job? Or, maybe, how does his full time job suffer while he's posting on the net?

His employers must be aware of his "fame" and sideline productivity.


full time job = 40 hours per week
movies/writing = 30 hours per week

That's 70 hours - not too hard to fit everything in. Leaves me, on average, 14 hours per day to sleep, eat, watch TV, read, and do other stuff. I'm also fortunate in that my FT job allows me to flex my hours somewhat, so I can work 9 am to 1 pm, take a couple hours off, then come back and work 3 pm to 7 pm (or something similar). Parceling out time is not something I have a problem with.


Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
James Berardinelli wrote:
Awf Hand wrote:
I'd probably have to ask him how he can get so much movie-related "work" done with a full time job? Or, maybe, how does his full time job suffer while he's posting on the net?

His employers must be aware of his "fame" and sideline productivity.


full time job = 40 hours per week
movies/writing = 30 hours per week

That's 70 hours - not too hard to fit everything in. Leaves me, on average, 14 hours per day to sleep, eat, watch TV, read, and do other stuff. I'm also fortunate in that my FT job allows me to flex my hours somewhat, so I can work 9 am to 1 pm, take a couple hours off, then come back and work 3 pm to 7 pm (or something similar). Parceling out time is not something I have a problem with.


FWIW-I know people who pretty much can live without sleep, and take up hobbies, like yourself, to kill time et al.

I'm just the opposite-I need my 8+ hours of (beauty)sleep. 8-)

BTW-I have another question for you. When you go to press screenings, how often do you see the film critics from the Philly papers? Have you also seen(and met) other journalists outside of the entertainment sections(for example, Stephen A Smith-does he work for the Inquirer anymore now that he's on ESPN?).


Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:57 pm
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3185
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
TunaFanForever wrote:
BTW-I have another question for you. When you go to press screenings, how often do you see the film critics from the Philly papers? Have you also seen(and met) other journalists outside of the entertainment sections(for example, Stephen A Smith-does he work for the Inquirer anymore now that he's on ESPN?).


I know all of the local film critics quite well.

A lot of the local TV personalities show up for movies - anchors, reporters, and so forth. If it's a sports-related movie, all of the sports people will show up. Ukee Washington is there for a lot of movies - he seems to be a movie-buff in general. Generally speaking, if someone is in the media, they can get into the screenings, but interest varies. Stuff filmed in Philadelphia always draws a big crowd.


Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:04 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
My foremost question of the meeting, in all seriousness:


'How did you get accredited for films? How long does this process take?'


I hope not long :(


Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:06 pm
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3185
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
Evenflow8112 wrote:
My foremost question of the meeting, in all seriousness:
'How did you get accredited for films? How long does this process take?'
I hope not long :(


Define "long."

I started writing reviews in 1992. I was accredited in 1997.

Getting accredited these days generally means being accepted into the On-Line Film Critics Society (OFCS). Their requirements are stringent - an on-line home for reviews, several hundred reviews, and at least fifty new reviews every year. Getting accredited outside of the OFCS is possible, but not necessarily easy. Again, you have to have a large body of work, prove that you've been doing this for a few years, and continue to provide new reviews on an on-going basis.

Worse still, if you piss off a publicist for any reason, you can get banned from screenings (although the ban usually doesn't stick). It has happened to Roger Ebert. It has happened to me. So accreditation is only the first step. After that, you have to learn to "play nice" with the studio reps.


Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:45 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
James Berardinelli wrote:
I have only been stalked once in my life, and that was in college, long before I became a film critic.


I think this calls for a Reelthoughts post! Or not, depends how you feel about that. I do enjoy your writing though James, and especially the Reelthoughts that are a little more personal... like the one about your 'geek history' or how you met your wife.


Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:43 pm
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
Come to think of it, has anyone considered a ReelViews reunion? We had a Pure Volume one, sad enough. And it was fun, too, even more sadly. I can't say I'd mind meeting most of you, except those Facebook hold-outs (j/k) Just a thought.


Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:26 pm
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Come to think of it, has anyone considered a ReelViews reunion? We had a Pure Volume one, sad enough. And it was fun, too, even more sadly. I can't say I'd mind meeting most of you, except those Facebook hold-outs (j/k) Just a thought.


I think the only people I truly do want to meet is my fellow mods...and that includes James and Sheryl. There's a few normies here that I won't mind meeting like you Philip, Pedro, ADayintheLife, Commodorefirst and aameen.


Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:34 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr