Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:00 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
'Meeting James' 
Author Message
Post 'Meeting James'
No, this is not a reality 'show', but instead a thesis to everyone. James has stated on his last Reel Thoughts that he believes that the anonymity of the internet leads people yto say things that they would not otherwise say in real life, including the vitriolic comments left on the weatherman's blog. Is the same true of the good things you say about people?


My main hook here is: if you ever ran into James in real life, how would you react, and what would you most likely (likely) say? Would you start a film convo, shrivel in defeat and pretend you don't know him, just say 'Hi', etc?


P.S. - This is not intended to encourage stalking, so if you are thinking about it... stop ;)


Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:04 pm
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
I would probably react the same way that I reacted when I met Michael Beihn....like a blithering fanboy without bones and a voicebox :lol:


Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:20 pm
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
I'd run for the hills.
These internet people are weirdos.
I heard his middle name was Travis
Rob :lol:


Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
talk about the phillies...
and zooey deschanel.
he'd like that.
hehehe


Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:14 pm
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
I'm probably either freak out, not bother him, or introduce myself as forum member Pedro. You know, the one with the top ten list in his signature. XD It's not like I can stalk him, living in California and all.


Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:24 pm
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
Pedro wrote:
I'm probably either freak out, not bother him, or introduce myself as forum member Pedro. You know, the one with the top ten list in his signature. XD It's not like I can stalk him, living in California and all.


Not with that attitude you ain't!


Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:49 pm
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
Probably about the same when I met Don Coscarelli, Verne Troyer and R. Lee Ermey:

"Nice to meet you, love your work, and it is very cool to be able to see you in real life" only less generic! :)

I guess I am just not as excitable as I should be. For me celebrities are just people with more exposure and a bigger paycheck than me! :) Helps that the town I grew up in saw its share of stars, old and new.

I do think it would be cool to run into James though. My only interaction with him has been one email exchange and a few non exchanges.


Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:46 pm
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3136
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
Of the thirty-plus current members to the forums, I believe I have only met one face-to-face. I'm far from a recluse, though. I do a lot of public speaking, but almost all of it is local. In fact, this upcoming weekend will be consumed by public speaking, which is one big reason why I'm not opening these forums until next weekend.

Funny thing - in high school, I dreaded public speaking. Now, I love it. In the past 10 years, I have done more than 200 speaking engagements.


Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:45 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
We need a Berardinelli world tour list and tee shirt

Get ready to book your flights team :-)

Rob


Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:49 am
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
James Berardinelli wrote:
Of the thirty-plus current members to the forums, I believe I have only met one face-to-face. I'm far from a recluse, though. I do a lot of public speaking, but almost all of it is local. In fact, this upcoming weekend will be consumed by public speaking, which is one big reason why I'm not opening these forums until next weekend.

Funny thing - in high school, I dreaded public speaking. Now, I love it. In the past 10 years, I have done more than 200 speaking engagements.


Have you ever posted any of these online? This would at the very least be intriguing to the Reelviews die-hard.

By the way, to answer my own question, I would unassumingly ask to borrow 50 cents so I could rent 'Captivity' later that evening. I have no idea what would happen next, but I can't imagine it would be pretty.


Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:51 pm
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
I would like to see a video of this. Seeing James turn into The Incredible Hulk and beat some sense into you


Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:43 pm
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
I'd ask where his wife is.


Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:45 pm
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3136
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
Joseph wrote:
I'd ask where his wife is.


Closer than you might think...


Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:07 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
Evenflow8112 wrote:
My main hook here is: if you ever ran into James in real life, how would you react, and what would you most likely (likely) say?

I'd buy him a beer, as a token thank-you for the value I've gotten from his reviews over the years. And if he's not a beer drinker, I'd even drink it for him -- that's the kind of guy I am :lol:


Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:16 pm
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
James Berardinelli wrote:
Of the thirty-plus current members to the forums, I believe I have only met one face-to-face. I'm far from a recluse, though. I do a lot of public speaking, but almost all of it is local. In fact, this upcoming weekend will be consumed by public speaking, which is one big reason why I'm not opening these forums until next weekend.


Wow! I'd love to see one of these lectures online! It'd be insanely interesting to hear you go on and on about film. (which I'm guessing these lectures are about)


Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:59 pm
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
Talisker wrote:
I'd buy him a beer, as a token thank-you for the value I've gotten from his reviews over the years. And if he's not a beer drinker, I'd even drink it for him -- that's the kind of guy I am :lol:

Hey James, I've had a couple thank-you beers on your behalf tonight, since you weren't here to drink them. Just FYI.


Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:16 pm
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
I would probably just smile, say thanks so much for the time and effort and enjoyment he has given me in his words, and give a big handshake of thanks,


Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:47 am
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
well, considering I live in Peru it's very VERY improbable I'll ever run into him, but if for some reason whenever I travel to the US I meet him...

I guess I'd act pretty normal, say how much I admire his work and how much I enjoy reading his writing, and probably introduce myself as forum member Sebastian... shouldn't make a big deal about it, should I?


Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:04 am
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
It would be an honor for me to meet James. I visit the website daily and love his writing.
It wouldn't be hard for me to meet him actually, we live in the same state.

Oh, not to sound like a creep or crazed fan but you're listed. I'd talk to someone about that James :)


Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:24 pm
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3136
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: 'Meeting James'
Film Femme wrote:
It would be an honor for me to meet James. I visit the website daily and love his writing.
It wouldn't be hard for me to meet him actually, we live in the same state.

Oh, not to sound like a creep or crazed fan but you're listed. I'd talk to someone about that James :)


Yes, I know I'm listed. Never had much of a need to go unlisted. I have only been stalked once in my life, and that was in college, long before I became a film critic.


Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:21 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr