Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:24 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PS3, 360 or Wii? 
Author Message
Post PS3, 360 or Wii?
I'm on the market for a new system. Which one should I go for? I love some of the things Wii has to offer: Punch Out, Wii Sports and the ability to download my NES, SNES and Sega favorites. Plus my sister could get use out of it as well.

But I also want to play the new Ghostbusters game something fierce. The version available on Wii looks to be a dumbed down version. Plus I've been told the sports games aren't very good for Wii. Checking out the new Madden could end up on my radar and I know I'd be on the market for the next editions of FIFA and PES.

I already have a Blu-ray player so that's not an advantage for PS3 in my book.

Thoughts?


Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:01 am
Post Re: PS3, 360 or Wii?
When I read the topic title I thought "There's a poll similar to this question!"

But then I read the post and it wasn't similar at all. I don't have any of the next-gen systems but I would buy the Wii first, then the 360 and finally the PS3.


Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:05 am
Post Re: PS3, 360 or Wii?
Yeah, though keep in mind that the Wii may still be tricky to find in stores, and the PS3 while easy to find is still a bit too expensive for most people to buy new, so with those 2 it's best to buy them online, whereas 360 consoles are both easy to find and reasonably price, plus IMO they also have the best selection of games.


Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:20 am
Post Re: PS3, 360 or Wii?
1. Wii - Seems like a great choice at first. It is hugely popular, has fun motion-controls, nintendo-based games, etc. But you will tire of the motion controls very quickly. There is lots of waggling and waggling and waggling. Apparently the new controller is better, but I have not tried it. After you tire of the controls you will notice that the selection of games is pathetic compared to the other consoles.

2. PS3 - A great choice if you don't have blu-ray player already. Has lots of great games and free online multiplayer.

3. XBOX360 - The best choice right now if you want a separate bluray player. It has the best catalog of games, netflix streaming built-in, the best controllers, etc. It's also way cheaper than the PS3 (by about half).


Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:48 pm
Post Re: PS3, 360 or Wii?
Trevor wrote:
1. Wii - Seems like a great choice at first. It is hugely popular, has fun motion-controls, nintendo-based games, etc. But you will tire of the motion controls very quickly. There is lots of waggling and waggling and waggling. Apparently the new controller is better, but I have not tried it. After you tire of the controls you will notice that the selection of games is pathetic compared to the other consoles.

2. PS3 - A great choice if you don't have blu-ray player already. Has lots of great games and free online multiplayer.

3. XBOX360 - The best choice right now if you want a separate bluray player. It has the best catalog of games, netflix streaming built-in, the best controllers, etc. It's also way cheaper than the PS3 (by about half).
Don't assume that everyone will tire of the motion controls, everyone feels differently about them, some people like them some don't, it's just that simple, ans besides with the Wii you can purchase NES, SNES, N64, Trubografx, AND Genesis games on the Wii shop channel! So even if you don't like the motion controls you can always play all your favorite old Nintendo and/or Sega games with the Wii classic controller, now how's that for a bargain? The PS3 has almost ZERO bakcwards compatibility since Sony completely abandoned the whole idea last year, yet another one of their bone-headed decisions :roll: And one more thing, not everybody wants a Blu-Ray player, personally I don't care a good a movie looks, I only care if the film itself is any good, i'll watch a film on VHS before I watch it on Blu-Ray.


Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:17 pm
Post Re: PS3, 360 or Wii?
Vexer wrote:
And one more thing, not everybody wants a Blu-Ray player, personally I don't care a good a movie looks, I only care if the film itself is any good, i'll watch a film on VHS before I watch it on Blu-Ray.


Yes cause why would you want to watch something that's clear when you can watch something grainy and prone to fires.

Disclaimer: I do not have a Blu-Ray player but I did see the X-Men Blu-Ray at a friend's place...it didn't look that amazing...DVD can do that. The features on Blu-Ray...the ones that are actually different sounds cool but it could be poorly executed for all I know.


Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:21 pm
Post Re: PS3, 360 or Wii?
I own all three and I play my 360 the most, but I USE my PS3 the most because I watch most of my movies on blu-ray (including the 50+ I own on the format). I own 10 games for my PS3, about 20 for my 360, and 6 for my Wii. In my opinion the pickings are slim on the Wii and there's not a whole lot coming out in the future to change that.

It also depends on what kind of games you play. I play mostly RPGs and action games, which the 360 trumps both systems on that front. There are a few exclusive to the PS3 that are very good too though (I love me some Uncharted: Drakes Fortune, InFamous, Resistance 2, Ratchet & Clank, and Metal Gear Solid 4).


Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:38 pm
Post Re: PS3, 360 or Wii?
Patrick wrote:
Vexer wrote:
And one more thing, not everybody wants a Blu-Ray player, personally I don't care a good a movie looks, I only care if the film itself is any good, i'll watch a film on VHS before I watch it on Blu-Ray.


Yes cause why would you want to watch something that's clear when you can watch something grainy and prone to fires.

Disclaimer: I do not have a Blu-Ray player but I did see the X-Men Blu-Ray at a friend's place...it didn't look that amazing...DVD can do that. The features on Blu-Ray...the ones that are actually different sounds cool but it could be poorly executed for all I know.

Bah! Off the hundreds of VHS tapes that i've viewed not one of them has ever caught on fire, i don't know how that happens but I think that's pretty rare, and the griany look dosen't bother me, and besides that are several obscure films that will most likely never be availible on DVD so therefore VHS is the only option. I usually get VHS over DVD at Amazon since it's usually much cheaper.


Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:56 pm
Post Re: PS3, 360 or Wii?
Patrick wrote:
Vexer wrote:
And one more thing, not everybody wants a Blu-Ray player, personally I don't care a good a movie looks, I only care if the film itself is any good, i'll watch a film on VHS before I watch it on Blu-Ray.


Yes cause why would you want to watch something that's clear when you can watch something grainy and prone to fires.

Disclaimer: I do not have a Blu-Ray player but I did see the X-Men Blu-Ray at a friend's place...it didn't look that amazing...DVD can do that. The features on Blu-Ray...the ones that are actually different sounds cool but it could be poorly executed for all I know.

I don't need the visual quality to blow me away. With some of the best blu-ray transfers you can see everybody's pores and the actors' makeup and everything. That almost seems like overkill.

I am more concerned about the fact that now that I have a decent-sized HDTV, DVDs that aren't great transfers do not look very good anymore. Many DVDs still look good, and the best DVD transfers are close to the worst blu-ray transfers, but mediocre DVD transfers now bug me much more than they used to. The Dark Knight really does not look very good on DVD in my opinion, and I would only buy the blu-ray.


Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:37 pm
Post Re: PS3, 360 or Wii?
Trevor wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Vexer wrote:
And one more thing, not everybody wants a Blu-Ray player, personally I don't care a good a movie looks, I only care if the film itself is any good, i'll watch a film on VHS before I watch it on Blu-Ray.


Yes cause why would you want to watch something that's clear when you can watch something grainy and prone to fires.

Disclaimer: I do not have a Blu-Ray player but I did see the X-Men Blu-Ray at a friend's place...it didn't look that amazing...DVD can do that. The features on Blu-Ray...the ones that are actually different sounds cool but it could be poorly executed for all I know.

I don't need the visual quality to blow me away. With some of the best blu-ray transfers you can see everybody's pores and the actors' makeup and everything. That almost seems like overkill.

I am more concerned about the fact that now that I have a decent-sized HDTV, DVDs that aren't great transfers do not look very good anymore. Many DVDs still look good, and the best DVD transfers are close to the worst blu-ray transfers, but mediocre DVD transfers now bug me much more than they used to. The Dark Knight really does not look very good on DVD in my opinion, and I would only buy the blu-ray.

I have no plans of ever getting an HDTV as A-I really don't need or want one and B-They're all WAAAYYYY out of my price range, epsecially the Sony ones. Until HDTV becomes the standard viewing format i'll stick with my regular TV as it works just fine, and i've also heard that HDTV can slow down the framerate of video games, that's one hassle I don't need!


Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:47 pm
Post Re: PS3, 360 or Wii?
Vexer wrote:
Trevor wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Yes cause why would you want to watch something that's clear when you can watch something grainy and prone to fires.

Disclaimer: I do not have a Blu-Ray player but I did see the X-Men Blu-Ray at a friend's place...it didn't look that amazing...DVD can do that. The features on Blu-Ray...the ones that are actually different sounds cool but it could be poorly executed for all I know.

I don't need the visual quality to blow me away. With some of the best blu-ray transfers you can see everybody's pores and the actors' makeup and everything. That almost seems like overkill.

I am more concerned about the fact that now that I have a decent-sized HDTV, DVDs that aren't great transfers do not look very good anymore. Many DVDs still look good, and the best DVD transfers are close to the worst blu-ray transfers, but mediocre DVD transfers now bug me much more than they used to. The Dark Knight really does not look very good on DVD in my opinion, and I would only buy the blu-ray.

I have no plans of ever getting an HDTV as A-I really don't need or want one and B-They're all WAAAYYYY out of my price range, epsecially the Sony ones. Until HDTV becomes the standard viewing format i'll stick with my regular TV as it works just fine, and i've also heard that HDTV can slow down the framerate of video games, that's one hassle I don't need!


Not sure where you live, but it is the standard viewing format now. Everything in the U.S. is broadcast in digital now, almost everywhere the networks broadcast in 16x9 aspect ratio which is HDTV format.

Also, the prices have come way down. You can get a 32in HDTV for under $300 now if you shop around.

It's a better way to view DVDs in general because of the aspect ratio as well. As for video games, I have noticed no frame-rate problems, but for those who are conscious of such things, there are 120Hz HDTVs out there now I think.


Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:02 pm
Post Re: PS3, 360 or Wii?
Oh right, what I meant was when regular TVs no longer exist then i'll get an HDTV, but that won't be for quite awhile, and I really don't see the point in spending 300 dollars just for a better picture, it just seems like a waste to me, and the last HDTV my family bought(a Toshiba for those who care) didn't work at all, probably due to our antenna signal not being strong enough(and my family isn't about to get a new antenna anytime soon), so even if I did want an HDTV it wouldn't work anyways, so that's one thing i'll have to live without for awhile, but I sure as hell won't lose any sleep over it.


Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:34 pm
Post Re: PS3, 360 or Wii?
Vexer wrote:
Oh right, what I meant was when regular TVs no longer exist then i'll get an HDTV, but that won't be for quite awhile, and I really don't see the point in spending 300 dollars just for a better picture, it just seems like a waste to me, and the last HDTV my family bought(a Toshiba for those who care) didn't work at all, probably due to our antenna signal not being strong enough(and my family isn't about to get a new antenna anytime soon), so even if I did want an HDTV it wouldn't work anyways, so that's one thing i'll have to live without for awhile, but I sure as hell won't lose any sleep over it.


And don't you need something else to make a HDTV actually be HD. I remember a few years ago when my parents were asking some guy at Best Buy about it and he said if you just bought the TV we would be coming for bloody vengeance and we needed some other thing. But this was a few years ago so I don't know what the deal is now. And do you have converter boxes Vex cause antenna's are basically useless now with digital taking over?


Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:47 pm
Post Re: PS3, 360 or Wii?
Thanks for the feedback. In reality I'll choose between the 360 and Wii but I thought I'd toss the PS3 into the mix to see what you fine folks thought. Can FIFA and Ghostbusters trump Punch Out, Wii Sports and Mega Man 6? That is what I will have to decide.


Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:14 pm
Post Re: PS3, 360 or Wii?
Bondurant wrote:
Can FIFA and Ghostbusters trump Punch Out, Wii Sports and Mega Man 6? That is what I will have to decide.



:x


Being we evidently do NOT have the same taste in video games, I'm powerless to tell you which one to pick. I'd say the 360 and PS3 are the best overall systems, and the Wii is just a novel distraction in the form of a video game console. If yo have to consider both budget and quality, then the 360 is the best choice.


Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:56 pm
Post Re: PS3, 360 or Wii?
We have Wii and PS3

I play neither but the kids love both - they are 10 & 13

Ultimately it's about a fun remote versus great graphics on these two

Our neighbor has the XBox and my kids don't see real benefit versus the PS3

and just in case ... the PS3 is a Blu Ray player thrown in

Fave games are Call of Duty, Bad Company, GT5 Prologue and Guitar Hero World Tour

Biggest issue is the endless fight for my kids to try and play M rated games

Hope this helps
Rob


Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:10 pm
Post Re: PS3, 360 or Wii?
Bondurant wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. In reality I'll choose between the 360 and Wii but I thought I'd toss the PS3 into the mix to see what you fine folks thought. Can FIFA and Ghostbusters trump Punch Out, Wii Sports and Mega Man 6? That is what I will have to decide.

That's fine if you want to make it about that decision for now. But I will tell you that down the road if you want to get other games you will realize that there are so many more good titles to pick from on the 360, and very few on the Wii.


Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:23 pm
Post Re: PS3, 360 or Wii?
Blace wrote:
I own all three and I play my 360 the most, but I USE my PS3 the most because I watch most of my movies on blu-ray (including the 50+ I own on the format). I own 10 games for my PS3, about 20 for my 360, and 6 for my Wii. In my opinion the pickings are slim on the Wii and there's not a whole lot coming out in the future to change that.

It also depends on what kind of games you play. I play mostly RPGs and action games, which the 360 trumps both systems on that front. There are a few exclusive to the PS3 that are very good too though (I love me some Uncharted: Drakes Fortune, InFamous, Resistance 2, Ratchet & Clank, and Metal Gear Solid 4).



Walking through Target the other day my son started playing Infamous on the PS3 in electronics. He absolutely fell in love with it and I thought it looked gorgeous. So I might be buying the PS3 and that game in specific. Is it really that good?


Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:05 pm
Post Re: PS3, 360 or Wii?
It's a really fun game and it has a cool story. The ending comes out of nowhere. I wasn't expecting it at all. I definitely recommend it. I think it's a better sandbox game than GTAIV.


Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:19 pm
Post Re: PS3, 360 or Wii?
Patrick wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Oh right, what I meant was when regular TVs no longer exist then i'll get an HDTV, but that won't be for quite awhile, and I really don't see the point in spending 300 dollars just for a better picture, it just seems like a waste to me, and the last HDTV my family bought(a Toshiba for those who care) didn't work at all, probably due to our antenna signal not being strong enough(and my family isn't about to get a new antenna anytime soon), so even if I did want an HDTV it wouldn't work anyways, so that's one thing i'll have to live without for awhile, but I sure as hell won't lose any sleep over it.


And don't you need something else to make a HDTV actually be HD. I remember a few years ago when my parents were asking some guy at Best Buy about it and he said if you just bought the TV we would be coming for bloody vengeance and we needed some other thing. But this was a few years ago so I don't know what the deal is now. And do you have converter boxes Vex cause antenna's are basically useless now with digital taking over?
Oh we have a converter box, so we still do get a signal, only it's in letterboxed stnadard definition format rather thne widescreen HD format, but that works fine for me.


Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:19 am
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr