Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:25 am

Bands that you would like to see re-unite 
Post Bands that you would like to see re-unite
After seeing Evenflow's SoaD topic I started to think, "Man I miss those guys." Then, I wonder if you guys want some other broken-up band to re-unite. And I'm talking the original or "famous" line-up (The Journey we all know and love isn't the original line-up but it's better known than the original). Also, I'm talking about bands that can re-unite since all the members are still alive, so we all like to see Zepplin together but not with John Bonham still dead.

So I have two such bands...or at least I did have two but one of them is coming back. That band is Aqua...yes the "Barbie Girl" band....shut up!

The other band is Creed. Yes, I know that liking Creed is a horrible offense but so what. They had good riffs and bombastic choruses. They were a great band, especially since Scott Stapp's solo career isn't that good and how much I think that Alter Bridge sucks, even though "Metalingus" is descent proves that they all need each other. I would kill to see that band re-unite.

Last edited by Patrick on Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:03 pm
Post Re: Bands that you like to see re-unite
Hi there

I don't know these bands.

I was raised on British heavy metal in the seventies. My favorite band and album at the time was Deep Purple and their line up from Made in Japan.

Like so many bands, acrimony set in and they split up.

Rob

PS - You mentioned Journey. One of their band members lives round the corner from me :-) He's the coolest guy, always helping with the school, etc. None of the Je suis un rock star BS

Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:10 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Hi there

I was raised on British heavy metal in the seventies. My favorite band and album at the time was Deep Purple and their line up from Made in Japan.

Rob

PS - You mentioned Journey. One of their band members lives round the corner from me :-) He's the coolest guy, always helping with the school, etc. None of the Je suis un rock star BS

Damn, I miss Ritchie Blackmore when he went electric. Now he's playing Renaissance music at Renaissance fairs in tights.

But Deep Purple never actually split up, they just got new guys like David Coverdale from Whitesnake was in it for a few years.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:17 pm
Creed? Really? I suppose it would be interesting to see Nickelback duke it out with them for "the most over-produced pap in the world" award.

How about the Beatles? Or Led Zeppelin? The Dismemberment Plan, Nirvana, Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band, Zappa and the original lineup of the Mothers of Invention, Joy Division, the original Misfits, hell even bring back Cliff Burton and Dave Mustaine to form the original Metallica lineup.

I know half of those bands have dead members, but if we're going to be hypothetical I figure I would go all out. I'd love to see Buddy Holly, Charlie Parker, Nick Drake, Elliot Smith, or Buddy Rich perform.

Aqua is not necessary, there's a ton of candy-pop out there, just go search Aqua on youtube, and I'm sure somebody is making similar music. Same deal with Creed, there's a million bands that sound exactly like their post-grunge "lite" music.

The Dismemberment Plan and Captain Beefheart are the only two acts that could possibly physically reform to play in my list, but I would probably only want to see the D-Plan. I hear Captain Beefheart has some real medical issues these days.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:42 pm
But Aqua was the best candy-pop band and they even pulled off serious music like "Around the World" and "We Belong to the Sea".

Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:51 pm
That's not serious music. That's a band who's style is no longer in vogue trying something different and failing. The backing music is boring, and you can tell their voices are heavily produced.

Not to discriminate based on age, but how old are you Patrick? Your taste indicates you're an adolescent, but I could be wrong. Open your mind, there is music out there that will shatter your perception of what's "good."

Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:38 pm
Patrick wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Hi there

Rob

Damn, I miss Ritchie Blackmore when he went electric. Now he's playing Renaissance music at Renaissance fairs in tights.

But Deep Purple never actually split up, they just got new guys like David Coverdale from Whitesnake was in it for a few years.

There were frequent issues between members of the band and once Blackmore was gone combined with the frequent turnover of lead singers, the soul was lost

That said, Come Taste the Band remains a favorite

Rob

Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:00 pm
I'd love to see The Beatles reunite. That would involve two members rising from the dead, but whatever. So there are obstacles in the way. I'd also like to see Europe perform The Final Countdown with Will Arnet performing some kind of dance in front of them. <3 Arrested Development

Other than that, I'm fairly ignorant about who's dead, broken up, in limbo, or performing. My taste in music, I'm sure, would anger munroe to no end. At the end of the day, music is not the same thing as movies to me. Liking bad or boring music doesn't make me hate myself. It's not an age thing, either, because when I'm fifty, I'm still not going to give a damn. I like what I like.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:03 pm
Pedro wrote:
My taste in music, I'm sure, would anger munroe to no end.

I figured this would happen eventually, it wasn't my intention though. It just frustrates me to see people champion music that is made for money, not for the music itself, and that fits a corporate outlook for how the band should be marketed.

I don't expect you to go listen to some obscure band that only plays concerts on Tuesdays, in tiny jazz clubs that accepts civil war memorabilia as currency. You don't even have to leave the major labels to find bands that nudge the envelope, and who really, truly care about their music. The Flaming Lips, Prince, Led Zeppelin, and Johnny Cash all released the majority of their music on one of the four major labels. Meaning it's easily accessible.

The radio is not the place to find new music, just like how television is not the place to find out about movies like Let the Right One In, or JCVD.

Bands like Creed, Nickelback, Fall Out Boy, and Linkin Park are the musical equivalent to the "Disaster/Epic/Date" style of movies. Stuff churned out via established templates, that appeals to the greatest number of people possible by lowering the standard of what's acceptable. If you don't put the effort in, you don't have to be held accountable, you just don't get to sit at the adult table on Thanksgiving.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:15 pm
munroe wrote:
It just frustrates me to see people champion music that is made for money, not for the music itself, and that fits a corporate outlook for how the band should be marketed.

I see your point and I don't disagree completely, but I do have a problem when you claim to be inside the head of bands like Creed, Linkin Park, etc. You have no idea why they make the music they do, and there is nothing wrong or undignified about making pop music. Sure, it's made to be easily consumed -- just like The Dark Knight, Titanic, etc -- but that alone does not condemn it. Don't get me wrong, much of what is on the radio is tripe -- just like much of people's favorite indie stuff is tripe.

munroe wrote:
The radio is not the place to find new music, just like how television is not the place to find out about movies like Let the Right One In, or JCVD.

Bands like Creed, Nickelback, Fall Out Boy, and Linkin Park are the musical equivalent to the "Disaster/Epic/Date" style of movies. Stuff churned out via established templates, that appeals to the greatest number of people possible by lowering the standard of what's acceptable. If you don't put the effort in, you don't have to be held accountable, you just don't get to sit at the adult table on Thanksgiving.

You need to define what makes a band "like" those bands. Again, I'm not defending those bands individually, but you are coming a cross a bit like popularity equals crap.

That's obviously not the case, just like being indie doesn't mean anything is good. There are plenty of terribe indies. Let the Right One In is solid and should be widely seen, but JCVD trying (and failing miserably) to be "original" doesn't make it any more meritable than any big-release picture that fails at what it tries to do.

And really, let's not make this a place of elitism -- listening to The Flaming Lips instead of Kanye West doesn't make you any more of an adult.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:58 pm
Patrick wrote:
But Aqua was the best candy-pop band and they even pulled off serious music like "Around the World" and "We Belong to the Sea".

I believe that was by the group ATC, although they may be related.

I'm going to be la cruel and pick Nirvana, followed closely by the actual Guns N' Roses.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:29 pm
Shade,

I could get into specifics about each of the four bands, but it wasn't my point. My point was about "art" made specifically for the purpose of cash money. Nobody is going to make the argument that Garfield is better than Toy Story, or that Epic Movie is better than Borat.

I have absolutely no issues with popular music. None. I love Prince, the Beatles, Rage Against the Machine, Distrubed, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Offspring, NWA, Snoop Dogg...I could go on. My issue is sticking with the same band forever, and never progressing your own taste. It's choosing to see Saw 5 instead of Vacancy because you're not sure if you'll like it, but you know what Saw has to offer. The lack of wanting to discover new things.

My point was definitely not popularity equals crap. Titanic, The Dark Knight, and Die Hard are fantastic movies. The bands I listed above are great, the Harry Potter novels are a great read...and so on. And certainly don't get me wrong about "indie" or the "underground," they produce their own steaming piles of shit. I really don't like the Animal Collective, and Mirror Mask was a huge disappointment, as two examples.

So I wasn't trying to be an elitist prick, more of a jerk shoving someone in a different direction.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:05 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Patrick wrote:

I'm going to be la cruel and pick Nirvana, followed closely by the actual Guns N' Roses.

Both ATC and Aqua had a song called "Around the World" but that's where the similarities end.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:09 pm
munroe wrote:
That's not serious music. That's a band who's style is no longer in vogue trying something different and failing. The backing music is boring, and you can tell their voices are heavily produced.

Not to discriminate based on age, but how old are you Patrick? Your taste indicates you're an adolescent, but I could be wrong. Open your mind, there is music out there that will shatter your perception of what's "good."

I'm almost 23 and I do have decent taste in music. I love Aqua the same way I like my crappy action movies, cheesy and entertaining and here's some of my other favorite bands so you can look at my music taste

-Judas Priest
-Queensryche
-Rise Against
-Kanye West
-Three Days Grace
-Dio
-Filter
-Nine Inch Nails
-Metallica

Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:15 pm
Shade wrote:
And really, let's not make this a place of elitism -- listening to The Flaming Lips instead of Kanye West doesn't make you any more of an adult.

I'm sorry, but, to an elitist, what would be the difference? Are you saying that Kanye West is critically unpopular?

Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:21 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Shade wrote:

I'm sorry, but, to an elitist, what would be the difference? Are you saying that Kanye West is critically unpopular?

Not to sound like a further elitist dick, but yeah, he's not very good. I'll admit he's a wonderfully talented producer, but he needs to stop picking up the microphone. He can't rap or sing with any proficiency. His lyrics are ridiculous too.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:23 pm
munroe wrote:
Not to sound like a further elitist dick, but yeah, he's not very good. I'll admit he's a wonderfully talented producer, but he needs to stop picking up the microphone. He can't rap or sing with any proficiency. His lyrics are ridiculous too.

Yep, and that was my point. Sure, Kanye is a critical darling in schlock like People magazine and Rolling Stone, but really his own music is pretty weak (although I agree he's a solid producer, just a tier below Timbaland).

munroe wrote:
My point was definitely not popularity equals crap. Titanic, The Dark Knight, and Die Hard are fantastic movies. The bands I listed above are great, the Harry Potter novels are a great read...and so on. And certainly don't get me wrong about "indie" or the "underground," they produce their own steaming piles of shit. I really don't like the Animal Collective, and Mirror Mask was a huge disappointment, as two examples.

So I wasn't trying to be an elitist prick, more of a jerk shoving someone in a different direction.

Fair enough. That's what I figured, but I wanted to be sure that's where you were coming from. I totally agree about expanding your artistic surroundings, and I have no problem encouraging people in a certain direction. My problem, again, is that you are claiming to be in the heads of certain bands, claiming that Creed et al are in it for the money, but certain other bands are not. That's bullshit. No one plays music for a living because it's easy, and everyone who does wants to make money. "Selling out" is the most misunderstood term in show business, and it works both ways: as much as I wish that, say, Linkin Park would try something new and am not impressed by their repetitiveness, I'm equally unimpressed by The Killers trying to break away and end up doing a bad Born to Run imitation.

Overall, Munroe, I feel like our tastes are actually pretty similar, and I can only encourage you in pushing others into good directions.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:38 pm
Blind Faith (don't know if all members are still alive)

Soundgarden

All the famous guitar players for Yardbirds (Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Paige). I don't think they played in the band at the same time but it would be nice to see the 3 of them in one band.

The Who and Pink Floyd have performed reunion concerts/shows recently, right?

New Kids on the Block reunited recently too lol

Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:23 pm
Patrick wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Patrick wrote:

Both ATC and Aqua had a song called "Around the World" but that's where the similarities end.

Not sure which "Around the world" song you guys are referring to. Red Hot Chili Peppers also had a song called Around The World in their Californication album.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:26 pm
sheryl wrote:
Blind Faith (don't know if all members are still alive)

Soundgarden

All the famous guitar players for Yardbirds (Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Paige). I don't think they played in the band at the same time but it would be nice to see the 3 of them in one band.

The Who and Pink Floyd have performed reunion concerts/shows recently, right?

New Kids on the Block reunited recently too lol

No disrespect towards Black Hole Sun but I'd rather see Audioslave reunite than Soundgarden.

As for Beck, Clapton and Page in one band, that's just too much awesome-ness for the universe to contain. Why do you think that none of the three have been in the same room at the same time?

Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:28 pm