Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:59 am

B.E.T sucks!!! Anyone else agree? 
Director

Post B.E.T sucks!!! Anyone else agree?
I don't like B.E.T., it portrayes Blacks in the same stertypes that has been associated for years. The music videos are one thing,but those stupid reality shows......OH, MY GOD!!! I'm an eighteen year old African-American and having black people think College Hill is the best show on t.v. is just wrong. Any takers?

Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:07 pm
Profile YIM

Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:10 pm
Post Re: B.E.T sucks!!! Anyone else agree?
I look at their programming to see if they'll play Bebe's Kids...someday they will and I'll see it.

Oh and to your answer your question, I'm indifferent cause I don't watch it.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:13 pm
Director

Patrick wrote:
I look at their programming to see if they'll play Bebe's Kids...someday they will and I'll see it.

Have you tried to look for the film online, it's been a loooong time since B.E.T. shown that movie.

P.S. I understand your indifference, buddy.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:19 pm
Profile YIM
corpen11 wrote:
Patrick wrote:

Have you tried to look for the film online, it's been a loooong time since B.E.T. shown that movie.

P.S. I understand your indifference, buddy.

They played it last month! And no, I'm not a pirate...at least not when my I still live with my parents and still use their dial-up.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:23 pm
Director

I mean if you are trying to by the film online and oh, i didn't know the film was still on B.E.T.

I seen the movie before(I think I was 3 or 4) but I won't spoil anything.

P.S. TV One is a better substitute channel for B.E.T.. I can watch the channel with it's old show Sanford and Son, Good times, The Jeffersons, real black t.v. shows.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:29 pm
Profile YIM
I caught Bamboozled on B.E.T. a long, long time ago and thought that Spike Lee was commenting on how networks like B.E.T. have managed to create an air of confabulation around black culture -- sort of perpetuating old-fashioned stereotypes in order to create a gulf between actual black culture and the popular perception of the culture. Imagine my disappointment, then, when Spike Lee claimed the film was really more about the history of blacks in entertainment. Gone were the insights into a culture pigeonholing itself into the Classic mode for the sake of simple entertainment.

So, if you take my misinterpretation of Spike Lee's film and apply it to B.E.T. I completely agree that the network is founded on a horrifying concept. If I accept Spike Lee's view of his own film (and who really wants to discount authorial intent?) I'm forced to claim that B.E.T. is progressive.

I'll put it a third way: B.E.T. is on the same level as NBC. Whatever you find on NBC and see as a representation of a normal 'white experience' is just as ludicrous as B.E.T. as the barometer for the 'black experience'. And while B.ET. may not benefit from accuracy it's still better to think of the network as an analog for all the rest of the nonsense every single other network produces. This is to say that Black Entertainment Television is just as milquetoast as White Entertainment Television, bridging the gap between assumed confabulation and accurate mediocrity. Could there be anything more progressive than that?

Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:49 pm
Director

majoraphasia wrote:
I caught Bamboozled on B.E.T. a long, long time ago and thought that Spike Lee was commenting on how networks like B.E.T. have managed to create an air of confabulation around black culture -- sort of perpetuating old-fashioned stereotypes in order to create a gulf between actual black culture and the popular perception of the culture. Imagine my disappointment, then, when Spike Lee claimed the film was really more about the history of blacks in entertainment. Gone were the insights into a culture pigeonholing itself into the Classic mode for the sake of simple entertainment.

So, if you take my misinterpretation of Spike Lee's film and apply it to B.E.T. I completely agree that the network is founded on a horrifying concept. If I accept Spike Lee's view of his own film (and who really wants to discount authorial intent?) I'm forced to claim that B.E.T. is progressive.

I'll put it a third way: B.E.T. is on the same level as NBC. Whatever you find on NBC and see as a representation of a normal 'white experience' is just as ludicrous as B.E.T. as the barometer for the 'black experience'. And while B.ET. may not benefit from accuracy it's still better to think of the network as an analog for all the rest of the nonsense every single other network produces. This is to say that Black Entertainment Television is just as milquetoast as White Entertainment Television, bridging the gap between assumed confabulation and accurate mediocrity. Could there be anything more progressive than that?

After reading this, I understand your meaning and reason. There are t.v. shows with white families that are not real. If you ever seen the t.v. show Rescue Me on F.X., then that's a real family decription.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:44 am
Profile YIM
About NBC...

I'm amazed at how many network programs are about a fat guy married to a hot woman with 2+ kids, living in expensive areas like New York City or Chicago. They somehow manage to stay employed and married. It's a riot.

About BET...

Can't stand the channel though I can't stand rap music so I never have a reason to watch. I wasn't aware they ventured into programming though I'm not surprised as that's what MTV and VH1 did. For the record I don't watch MTV or VH1 either. Mainstream pop music is garbage. Bring on the King Khan & BBQ Show!!!!!

Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:51 am
Director

If anyone wants the see the methodical minds working at B.E.T., go to youtube and type in Black Evil Television.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:26 am
Profile YIM
majoraphasia wrote:

The merit of the post withstanding (agreed on all accounts), I'd like to commend your usage of the word 'milquetoast'. Impressive.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:31 am
PeachyPete wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

The merit of the post withstanding (agreed on all accounts), I'd like to commend your usage of the word 'milquetoast'. Impressive.

It's compensation for my profoundly humble composure. And profoundly humble *cough cough cough cough*.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:45 pm
Assistant Director

BET and is owned by the same company that bring you MTV and VH1, Viacom. So, it's pretty much no coincidence that all three networks are complete crap. Nothing but reality shows that pander to a mindless audience; my wife told me how many C- and D- list celebrities are getting their own shows now and lo and behold, they're on these networks. Yikes.

Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:10 pm
Without looking to start up too much controversy, would you consider it racist if a channel was called WHITE ENTERTAINMENT TELEVISION?

Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:27 pm
That old "point" that a White Entertainment Television is racist and Black Entertainment Television should be considered racist as well ignores history and culture. To me there is a distinct culture that applies to black Americans than a culture that applies to whites overall.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:42 pm
Patrick wrote:

I hate to be a tool and quote myself, they did play Bebe's Kids tonight and I did see it. I have no more use for BET

Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:38 pm