Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:53 pm

Movie-going game 
Post Movie-going game
If there's something I always try to do, it's to pass the time before the movie starts (well, before the commercials that preceed the trailers that themselves preceed the film start). A little game that I've played with friends before the film is to predict the number of trailers that will play before the movie starts. Sometimes, we'll make the prize into something like the winning prognosticator getting a drink from each of the other participants. No one is allowed the pick the same number as someone else, so this usually ensures that only one is going to win.

The trick is to think about how popular the film is- a summer blockbuster will usually have 4-5 trailers on average while a less popular film will have 2 or less. Sometimes, no one wins because there are either no trailers at all (it does happen, believe it or not) or more than anyone predicted (the most I ever saw before a film was 7). Believe me, winning free drinks from your friends can be a real help when the film itself turns out to be a big steaming pile of crap <*cough*Daredevil*cough*>.

Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:37 pm
Post Re: Movie-going game
Ragnarok73 wrote:
If there's something I always try to do, it's to pass the time before the movie starts (well, before the commercials that preceed the trailers that themselves preceed the film start). A little game that I've played with friends before the film is to predict the number of trailers that will play before the movie starts. Sometimes, we'll make the prize into something like the winning prognosticator getting a drink from each of the other participants. No one is allowed the pick the same number as someone else, so this usually ensures that only one is going to win.

The trick is to think about how popular the film is- a summer blockbuster will usually have 4-5 trailers on average while a less popular film will have 2 or less. Sometimes, no one wins because there are either no trailers at all (it does happen, believe it or not) or more than anyone predicted (the most I ever saw before a film was 7). Believe me, winning free drinks from your friends can be a real help when the film itself turns out to be a big steaming pile of crap <*cough*Daredevil*cough*>.

We always did a similar game -- try to guess what trailer it is before it plays the title. Usually the adept moviegoers will have it in the first few seconds.
After working in a major chain theater and making up prints of movies, I have found that EVERY movie has either 5 or 6 trailers on it. Now, that can change once the movies start to come out and trailers are removed, but every movie starts with this many, usually 6.
However, I have noticed this is different at independent movie theaters, so maybe it depends more on the theater than on the movie.

Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:13 am