Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:40 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Recent DVD Purchases 
Post Re: Recent DVD Purchases
Patrick wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Funny, my kids and i are holding a garage sale on saturday where we'll sell my last 2-300 DVDs
They are very excited as they on 10% commission :-)
Rob

When will you be selling that massive television of yours? That should be good for at least +3 karma points.

Some of those DVD's could have been ours major. Some of them...and we could even split the cost on the TV.

No go on the "tv" but Pedro is coming round tomorrow for the DVD sale
Hope he's happy with whatvhe finds
It will be fun to meet my first Reelviewer

Rob

Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:22 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
No go on the "tv" but Pedro is coming round tomorrow for the DVD sale
Hope he's happy with whatvhe finds
It will be fun to meet my first Reelviewer

Rob

I plan to show up around ten. Bear in mind I may show up earlier or later, but this is my goal. :)

Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:27 am
Can't wait to meet you. Seriously, this should be fun!
So glad you're gonna drop by

I'll have food and drinks ready and you can check out my theater, the dog et al

Rob

Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:56 am
Pedro,
We should take a photo of what i think maybe the 1st Reelviews meet up
Make sure you tell lots of people where you're going :-)
Rob

Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:59 am
majoraphasia wrote:
ram1312 wrote:
Supposedly Beauty and the Beast is being "released from the vaults" the 15th this month. I'm thinking about doing a blind buy here. What do you guys say? Yeah, I know...another effing movie I haven't seen that everyone's seen. Word of mouth, and forum says it's a great movie.

And why the hell do they say "released from the vaults" for. There's no effing vaults.

That's for the Blu-Ray release. It's been devaulted otherwise.

That's a smart blind buy. One of Disney's greatest works.

My girlfriend just bought this the other day. Disney is doing the smart thing by putting regular DVDs and Blu-Rays in a combo pack. They have a bunch of special features alll on Blu-Ray, but you can watch the movie on a regular DVD player if you don't have Blu-Ray. They seem to be doing this with a ton of their releases and calling it the Diamond Edition.

Yeah, it's a solid blind buy, it's a really great movie.

Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:23 pm
I picked up the The Darjeeling Limited and In The Mood For Love Criterion releases today. Should be good times.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:24 pm
While shopping at Costco the other day I was forced to buy the BluRay/DVD of Raging Bull. 12 bucks, 99 cents.

It's the BluRay that enticed me...hell of a movie to watch high def like that.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:04 pm
ram1312 wrote:
While shopping at Costco the other day I was forced to buy the BluRay/DVD of Raging Bull. 12 bucks, 99 cents.

It's the BluRay that enticed me...hell of a movie to watch high def like that.

That's a strong move, Ram. Good price for a classic.

My most recent purchase was Criterion's BluRay of Chaplin's The Great Dictator. I haven't watched it yet, so I can't really comment, but I know it's a great movie and I can't wait to get into those special features.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:16 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
My most recent purchase was Criterion's BluRay of Chaplin's The Great Dictator. I haven't watched it yet, so I can't really comment, but I know it's a great movie and I can't wait to get into those special features.

Great film but I don't think Criterion added much over the previous release from MK2. The Dictator and The Tramp feature is fantastic. I did pick up the Modern Times Criterion a few weeks back and The Thin Read Line last week.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:55 pm
PeachyPete wrote:

Oh hey...that's one I've got on the DVR. Did you get that on sale? Same question to you Bondurant. I notice that sometimes you guys post Criterion sales and I'm real curious when the next one is cuz I've got a movie I must buy.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:02 pm
Bondurant wrote:
Great film but I don't think Criterion added much over the previous release from MK2. The Dictator and The Tramp feature is fantastic. I did pick up the Modern Times Criterion a few weeks back and The Thin Read Line last week.

That's a shame to hear. I had The Dictator and The Tramp DVRed for about 2 months until I saw it was going to be on Criterion's release. I deleted it to clear up some space knowing I was going to be buying the movie when it came out. Good to hear it's worthy.

ram1312 wrote:
Oh hey...that's one I've got on the DVR. Did you get that on sale? Same question to you Bondurant. I notice that sometimes you guys post Criterion sales and I'm real curious when the next one is cuz I've got a movie I must buy.

Watch that movie. It's all kinds of awesome.

I didn't get it on sale, I paid full price on Amazon. Usually, they sell the movies a few dollars cheaper than the Criterion site. I would also love to know when the next Criterion sale is because I have a few I've been eyeing as well.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:38 pm
ram1312 wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

The Chaplin films are cheaper by Criterion standards because they are single disc. A local shop was selling The Great Dictator for $15.99 when it first hit the shelves. I picked up The Thin Red Line at the same place for $22.99. Criterion has online sales from time to time and I heard Barnes and Noble is having a half price Criterion sale this summer (I have not confirmed this).

Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:58 pm
Let's say a lot:

From my current living place I discovered that a Barnes and Noble near me have a good amount of Criterion. So with that and a few others, I've bought since my job:

Antichrist
Salo
Hoop Dreams
A Better Tomorrow I and II
Schindler's List

When I go home there's a Disc Replay by me that sells lots of stuff, including movies. Suffice to say, I have bought A LOT! So much that I don't know what I have bought

Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:31 pm
Hey Petey and Rammy, do you guys still have the complete Metropolis on the DVR? Not a bad movie, you know.

Patrick wrote:
Let's say a lot:

From my current living place I discovered that a Barnes and Noble near me have a good amount of Criterion. So with that and a few others, I've bought since my job:

Antichrist
Salo
Hoop Dreams
Schindler's List

When I go home there's a Disc Replay by me that sells lots of stuff, including movies. Suffice to say, I have bought A LOT! So much that I don't know what I have bought

Check out the cinephile. What happened to The Marine-loving Paddy? That's a pretty sweet haul, I still have to see a few of those.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:48 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Hey Petey and Rammy, do you guys still have the complete Metropolis on the DVR? Not a bad movie, you know.

Patrick wrote:
Let's say a lot:

Antichrist
Salo
Hoop Dreams
Schindler's List

Check out the cinephile. What happened to The Marine-loving Paddy? That's a pretty sweet haul, I still have to see a few of those.

He's still there, but Salo...that shouldn't be around anymore!

Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:53 pm
Patrick wrote:

Barnes and Noble has the widest selection of Criterion's I've seen. The problem? They're $40 a pop! It's one of the best places on Earth when they have a sale or when you have a gift card or something. Everytime I go in there I have to stop myself from buying whatever Criterion currently strikes my fancy by reminding myself that I can get it from Amazon for almost half the price.

ed_metal_head wrote:

I don't. It was lost when I moved. However, it is available to stream on Netflix, so maybe I'll check it out soon.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:43 am
PeachyPete wrote:
Patrick wrote:

Barnes and Noble has the widest selection of Criterion's I've seen. The problem? They're $40 a pop! It's one of the best places on Earth when they have a sale or when you have a gift card or something. Everytime I go in there I have to stop myself from buying whatever Criterion currently strikes my fancy by reminding myself that I can get it from Amazon for almost half the price.

I see what you mean even though I was lucky and only Salo cost me $40. Antichrist cost me $30 and Hoop Dreams cost me $25 but I don't trust the mailing system in my dump so nothing goes there.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:30 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:

Dude...I owe you like 15 hours worth of movie viewing, don't I? And you know what I just noticed yesterday? One of the local movie theaters is showing the LOTR trilogy, one movie a Tuesday for 3 weeks. You know when they showed the first of the three? Last fucking Tuesday. What a bitch.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:12 pm
ram1312 wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

Dude...I owe you like 15 hours worth of movie viewing, don't I? And you know what I just noticed yesterday? One of the local movie theaters is showing the LOTR trilogy, one movie a Tuesday for 3 weeks. You know when they showed the first of the three? Last fucking Tuesday. What a bitch.

You do! And I seem to owe you nothing in return. I'll add the Spanish-language (was it Mexican?) film you mentioned to my text list. Anything else? Wait, I think you've tongue lashed me for never seeing Swingers, yes?

Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:43 pm
Patrick wrote:
From my current living place I discovered that a Barnes and Noble near me have a good amount of Criterion.

PeachyPete wrote:
Barnes and Noble has the widest selection of Criterion's I've seen.

Dude...you guys weren't kidding. I went to the local B&N a night ago and had to hold back from buying about 17 titles. The cover art on these things is so delicious. Really can't wait for that next sale.

ed_metal_head wrote:
Wait, I think you've tongue lashed me for never seeing Swingers, yes?

Holy shit, that's right...although, I will not continue to bash you for it since 16 hours versus 90 minutes would make me a huge hypocrite.

But you really need to say that flick, man. It's so money and you don't even know it.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:16 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next