Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:27 am

Gwyneth Paltrow 
Post Re: Gwyneth Paltrow
Awf Hand wrote:
In Sky Captain and the WoT, I found GP to be the perfect fit. She can look great in a period film like Shakespeare and Great Expectations (which wasn't all I'd hoped it would be), so that says it for me. She's ranked about equal to Gwen Stefani on my 'meter'.

The term 'butter face' was invented for SJP.

You know, I'd say that GP is an example of talent triumphing over looks, but I just don't think she's that great an actress. A better example of ability over appearance for me is Cate Blanchett. I doubt that many of us in this forum would find Cate to be super-hot (though I think she's fairly attractive), but she's got excellent acting ability IMO.

SJP might be more attractive if her schnoze (re: nose) wasn't too big for her face. The beak doesn't work as well for her as it did for Jennifer Grey who messed up her career by having the rhinoplasty done.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:44 pm
I find Cate Blanchett to be extremely hot!

Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:02 pm
Patrick wrote:

Like I said, I find Cate fairly attractive, but I also see her as one of those actresses that require make-up to look their best. Another actress I feel fits into that category is Tilda Swinton (many of you may know her as the White Queen in Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe).

Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:08 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Patrick wrote:

Like I said, I find Cate fairly attractive, but I also see her as one of those actresses that require make-up to look their best. Another actress I feel fits into that category is Tilda Swinton (many of you may know her as the White Queen in Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe).

Tilda Swinton? I don't know. Maybe. I guess I know what you mean. I'd always thought of her as a bit of The Woman Who Fell To Earth type but that doesn't mean she isn't attractive. One may kindly apply the word 'exotic' if they so choose.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:59 pm
Going a bit more offtopic, where are you folks on Batman's Rachel Dawes debate? Most of the world seems to prefer Katie Holmes, but I'd take Maggie Gyllenhaal any day any time (for acting ability and attractiveness). She has a certain quality which I find enchanting.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:21 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Going a bit more offtopic, where are you folks on Batman's Rachel Dawes debate? Most of the world seems to prefer Katie Holmes, but I'd take Maggie Gyllenhaal any day any time (for acting ability and attractiveness). She has a certain quality which I find enchanting.

oh...gyllenaal all the way. holmes is ok, but cant compete here. maybe a different personality would have seen different results.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:10 am
ed_metal_head wrote:

Gyllenhaal is the better actress between the two but Katie Holmes is the more attractive. In a traditional sort of way, at least. She's cute. So's Maggie. Whatever. Rachel's dead.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:23 am
aameen wrote:
and paltrow has a certain silent beauty i like.

Does "silent beauty" refer to those moments where someone you find attractive reveals how utterly vapid and ridiculous they are when they open their mouths, forever drowning whatever physical appeal they held in an ocean of stupid?

I that case I agree, she's definitely one of those.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:30 pm
Sören Höglund wrote:
aameen wrote:
and paltrow has a certain silent beauty i like.

Does "silent beauty" refer to those moments where someone you find attractive reveals how utterly vapid and ridiculous they are when they open their mouths, forever drowning whatever physical appeal they held in an ocean of stupid?

I that case I agree, she's definitely one of those.

:lol:

no, i meant peaceful. as if her entering a room would slow the tempo down.
anyway,

well, to be fair to the person in question, i know nothing of her stupidity. ive never even seen her speak a sentence outside of "in the movies". but i'll take your word for it.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:37 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:

To be truthful, I don't really find either of them to be that attractive. I do prefer Gyllenhaal for acting ability, though. I thought she held her own quite well in what I feel is the better of the 2 reboot films by far.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:24 pm