Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:43 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Songs you hate from bands you love 
Author Message
Post Re: Songs you hate from bands you love
derangedperson wrote:
Patrick wrote:
I love, love Judas Priest but there are some songs of theirs I find horrible like Beyond the Realms of Death, Screaming for Vengeance, Sinner and Delivering the Goods.


Image

Blasphemy.

The discussion of all things bad about Judas Priest begins and ends with Turbo.


What a horrible way to misspell Ram it Down, 'cept for Blood Red Skies that's awesome.


Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:04 pm
Post Re: Songs you hate from bands you love
ed_metal_head wrote:
St. Anger by Metallica. This was by far the worst thing I've heard from them. I know Load and Reload get their share of lumps, but there are enough decent tracks on those albums for me to like them.


Load and Reload are decent rock albums in my opinion. But St. Anger was absolute shit. The songs are crap, the sound is crap, and the whole thing just sounds like some amateur garage band. Thankfully they rebounded with Death Magnetic.

I'm a huge The Offspring fan, though I have to admit they have a boatload of shit songs, mostly crappy filler joke songs.

And I used to really like Linkin Park, I thought they were one of the few nu-metal bands that worked... but "Minutes to Midnight" was a bunch of poppy, slow crap; I don't know what the hell they were thinking.


Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:25 pm
Post Re: Songs you hate from bands you love
Metal thrives on shapeless adolescent rage. This is why Metallica was at its most relevant when the first album came out, and why an exponential slide in quality ensued. The band, these days, sounds exactly like what it is: a bunch of contented old guys trying to make it in a discontented young guy's genre. Trujillo is the most authentic element of the band at this point, and it's no coincidence that he's the only guy who has yet to make tenure.

When Lars tries to relate to his fans, it's like watching your mom throw the horns at a Boston concert. It's fucking weird and uncomfortable.


Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:38 pm
Post Re: Songs you hate from bands you love
I hate St. Anger like most everyone else on here, and i'm normally a guy who likes widely hated albums like X Factor and Virtual XI, and I gave St Angera chance despite the reviews, but it just throughly sucks ass in every single imagineable way! There's just no defending it! It sounds like Metallica were intoxicated and stoned at the same time when recording this, I can't think of any other way to explain the horrible sound! I had lost all hope for them after that dreadful piece of plastic, thank god they redeemed thmeselves with Death Magnetic! As for individual osngs, well while i've always loved the Scorpions, they've got some lame songs like Money And Fame, Woman, Hate To Be Nice, and the incredibly overrated Send Me An Angel, never understood why that song was a hit, it always bored the hell out of me!


Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:03 am
Post Re: Songs you hate from bands you love
Vexer wrote:
I hate St. Anger like most everyone else on here, and i'm normally a guy who likes widely hated albums like X Factor and Virtual XI, and I gave St Angera chance despite the reviews, but it just throughly sucks ass in every single imagineable way! There's just no defending it! It sounds like Metallica were intoxicated and stoned at the same time when recording this, I can't think of any other way to explain the horrible sound! I had lost all hope for them after that dreadful piece of plastic, thank god they redeemed thmeselves with Death Magnetic! As for individual osngs, well while i've always loved the Scorpions, they've got some lame songs like Money And Fame, Woman, Hate To Be Nice, and the incredibly overrated Send Me An Angel, never understood why that song was a hit, it always bored the hell out of me!


Send Me An Angel was awesome dammit! It should've been THEIR power ballad, not Winds of Change or Still Loving You


Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:44 am
Post Re: Songs you hate from bands you love
Patrick wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I hate St. Anger like most everyone else on here, and i'm normally a guy who likes widely hated albums like X Factor and Virtual XI, and I gave St Angera chance despite the reviews, but it just throughly sucks ass in every single imagineable way! There's just no defending it! It sounds like Metallica were intoxicated and stoned at the same time when recording this, I can't think of any other way to explain the horrible sound! I had lost all hope for them after that dreadful piece of plastic, thank god they redeemed thmeselves with Death Magnetic! As for individual osngs, well while i've always loved the Scorpions, they've got some lame songs like Money And Fame, Woman, Hate To Be Nice, and the incredibly overrated Send Me An Angel, never understood why that song was a hit, it always bored the hell out of me!


Send Me An Angel was awesome dammit! It should've been THEIR power ballad, not Winds of Change or Still Loving You
I'm glad it wasn't, those 2 songs gave me chills when I first them, Send Me An Angel just made me feel drowsy whenever I heard it.


Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:34 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 1602
Post Re: Songs you hate from bands you love
The first one to come to mind is "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" by Aerosmith. That song to me symbolizes their downfall. An utterly calculated attempt to get them on adult contemporary radio alongside Celine Dion. If I wanted to listen to Celine (and I don't) I'd listen to Celine.

I don't hate "Last Kiss" by Pearl Jam. But the fact that it became their biggest hit chart-wise is kinda disappointing.

In terms of albums, this is kinda different. But I personally am not a fan of most of Disturbed's post 2000 output. Yet I still have not come to regreat buying The Sickness back in October 2001, even though I caught some hell for it.

No Line On The Horizon by U2 and Around The Sun by REM fall into the category of albums I hate by bands I love. It's sad seeing two of my favorite bands get passed by by the groups they inspired.

_________________
This ain't a city council meeting you know-Joe Cabot

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599


Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:17 pm
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:20 pm
Posts: 162
Post Re: Songs you hate from bands you love
I hate Lars Ulrich, the gurning idiot.

St Anger was a very poor album indeed. I'm not really into Metallica, but I can certainly tell what's good or bad in terms of their output. St Anger had the odd little riff that I quite enjoyed, but I just can't get past the sound of those drums, they're terrible on every level.


Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:28 am
Profile
Post Re: Songs you hate from bands you love
The most infuriating thing about the production of St. Anger isn't that it's careless or underdone. On the contrary, it's very careful and overdone. They had one of the poppiest producers in the world and they cut-and-pasted as many times as you'd hear on any Linkin Park or Miley Cyrus album, intentionally trying to get it to sound like shit.

If they wanted to re-establish their cred as a grassroots metal band, they could have dispensed with the big budget, the professional studio, and Bob "I do not" Rock, and made their album in a real basement with actual shitty equipment.


Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:26 pm
Post Re: Songs you hate from bands you love
Ken wrote:
The most infuriating thing about the production of St. Anger isn't that it's careless or underdone. On the contrary, it's very careful and overdone. They had one of the poppiest producers in the world and they cut-and-pasted as many times as you'd hear on any Linkin Park or Miley Cyrus album, intentionally trying to get it to sound like shit.

If they wanted to re-establish their cred as a grassroots metal band, they could have dispensed with the big budget, the professional studio, and Bob "I do not" Rock, and made their album in a real basement with actual shitty equipment.


Oh Ken, I want to cover you in kisses for that post. Everyone says St. Anger was underproduced but you are completely right. It's an overproduced, Pro Tools album that was designed to sound like an underproduced Jack White record.

As a Metallica fan I still have a lot of time for Load/Reload but St. Anger, which many critics hailed as some sort of comeback, is easily the worst thing they've done. I blind-bought it and am more than slightly embarrassed to have it so close to Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning.


Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:38 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 1602
Post Re: Songs you hate from bands you love
ed_metal_head wrote:
Ken wrote:
Oh Ken, I want to cover you in kisses for that post. Everyone says St. Anger was underproduced but you are completely right. It's an overproduced, Pro Tools album that was designed to sound like an underproduced Jack White record.

As a Metallica fan I still have a lot of time for Load/Reload but St. Anger, which many critics hailed as some sort of comeback, is easily the worst thing they've done. I blind-bought it and am more than slightly embarrassed to have it so close to Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning.


I'll third that. Load wasn't the disaster a lot of people made it out to be. I actually liked Re-Load better than Load and think it might've been better if they'd pulled some of the stronger songs from Load, put them on Re-Load and shelved the rest. Load had some good songs. But it also had some filler. If they coulda moved the better songs from it to replace a couple of the weaker ones on Re-Load, they might've had an album that could've stood with the Black Album if not quite MOP/RTL material.

On St Anger the album was overproduced yet the production stunk big time. That wouldn't have been as big a deal (And Justice For All also suffered from shoddy production) if the songs had been up to par. But they weren't. A lot of the lyrics sounded like rejected Linkin Park ones.

Luckily it's not in my collection alongside the aforementioned masterworks. 2 weeks after I bought it I'd listened to ti enough to determine that it was a waste of their talent and my money I headed back to the store with it. Unfortunately I was only able to get a measly $5.00 for it.

Death Magnetic did represent something of a rebound.

_________________
This ain't a city council meeting you know-Joe Cabot

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599


Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:40 pm
Profile
Post Re: Songs you hate from bands you love
Back on the topic of St. Anger...

I recently watched Some Kind of Monster... and actually really liked it. The band is somewhat humanized by the film. Lars is still a douche, but at least he comes off as more human and vulnerable than I thought. There's a scene there with his father, who has no bones about telling his son a new song sounds like crap, and it's funny because even though he's a thin, small, frail old man with a huge beard, Lars is completely emasculated in his presence.

James definitely has some anger management issues though. Jason Newsted had some harsh truths to tell, and the meeting between Lars and Dave Mustaine was probably the best scene in the film. Dave is never going to get over the fact that he got kicked out of the band, poor bastard.

A lot is shown about how that album was made... the band pulling all-nighters composing songs, having to work around their own issues and James having been to rehab, and whatnot... and I kinda felt bad because, you see the effort they put in it, and the end result was still garbage.


Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:19 pm
Post Re: Songs you hate from bands you love
Vexer wrote:
It sounds like Metallica were intoxicated and stoned at the same time when recording this, I can't think of any other way to explain the horrible sound!


Bill Hicks would have something to say about this...


Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:15 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:20 pm
Posts: 162
Post Re: Songs you hate from bands you love
Ken wrote:
The most infuriating thing about the production of St. Anger isn't that it's careless or underdone. On the contrary, it's very careful and overdone. They had one of the poppiest producers in the world and they cut-and-pasted as many times as you'd hear on any Linkin Park or Miley Cyrus album, intentionally trying to get it to sound like shit.

If they wanted to re-establish their cred as a grassroots metal band, they could have dispensed with the big budget, the professional studio, and Bob "I do not" Rock, and made their album in a real basement with actual shitty equipment.


Perfectly put. The raw-ness and energy that they were looking to put out was completely lost in the production.

The production can add or take away so much from a song. I know they may not be to everyone's taste, but the self titled Slipknot album is fabulous. The aggression they exhude from that album is immense. If that album was over-produced and touched up, it wouldn't have the same impact (just like their later albums).

Now I don't particularly know a lot about music production (I've recorded the drums for a few CD's, that's about it), but I know what I like to hear.


Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:53 am
Profile
Post Re: Songs you hate from bands you love
Jeff Wilder wrote:
On St Anger the album was overproduced yet the production stunk big time. That wouldn't have been as big a deal (And Justice For All also suffered from shoddy production) if the songs had been up to par. But they weren't. A lot of the lyrics sounded like rejected Linkin Park ones.

Death Magnetic did represent something of a rebound.


Agree with both points Jeff, but just to say the obvious: The production on Justice wasn't intentionally made to sound shoddy (at least I don't think so. Mr. Newstead?) whereas St. Anger was. I liked Death Magnetic quite a bit, but it did win the loudness war. Wish it could be re-mastered.


Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:08 pm
Post Re: Songs you hate from bands you love
neco82 wrote:
Back on the topic of St. Anger...

I recently watched Some Kind of Monster... and actually really liked it. The band is somewhat humanized by the film. Lars is still a douche, but at least he comes off as more human and vulnerable than I thought. There's a scene there with his father, who has no bones about telling his son a new song sounds like crap, and it's funny because even though he's a thin, small, frail old man with a huge beard, Lars is completely emasculated in his presence.

James definitely has some anger management issues though. Jason Newsted had some harsh truths to tell, and the meeting between Lars and Dave Mustaine was probably the best scene in the film. Dave is never going to get over the fact that he got kicked out of the band, poor bastard.

A lot is shown about how that album was made... the band pulling all-nighters composing songs, having to work around their own issues and James having been to rehab, and whatnot... and I kinda felt bad because, you see the effort they put in it, and the end result was still garbage.


Whoops, forgot to respond to this. I liked this a lot too. Was a pretty fascinating documentary about the near collapse of a band. It did humanise them, but it didn't help their image either. All those therapy scenes (with the therapist giving his input for the music!) weren't what you expect of a metal band. Still, I agree that it was fascinating to watch.


Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:10 pm
Post Re: Songs you hate from bands you love
Mustaine's subsequent public behavior makes me strongly doubt his sincerity as displayed in the movie.


Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:56 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1768
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Songs you hate from bands you love
Evenflow8112 wrote:

A great band doing a genuinely horrible song? 'Hats Off To Roy Harper' from Led Zeppelin. Oh boy, what a horror. And from their golden era, too. Very mystifying.


:shock: :o :shock:

Blasphemy. "Roy Harper" is great, menacing slide blues. When you hear Plant groaning about how he's going to kill his lady with a shotgun, you know he's deadly serious. It's one of my favorite Zeppelin songs. Now the Presence album...that's another story.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:12 am
Profile
Post Re: Songs you hate from bands you love
I always thought the discussion of all things bad about Judas Priest began with the "Judas Priest Discography"


Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:20 am
Post Re: Songs you hate from bands you love
Timmy Shoes wrote:
I always thought the discussion of all things bad about Judas Priest began with the "Judas Priest Discography"


Ok, this might not be entirely fair. They had some (NOTE: [U]SOME/U]) good stuff before the 80's. But once they abandoned their bluesy roots, it was all downhill from there. Why listen to Judas Priest when you can listen to much better metal bands from the same era?


Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:30 am
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr