Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:18 pm

Songs you hate from bands you love 
Post Songs you hate from bands you love
I was just listening to Science by Incubus and thinking how great of a record that was. So i'm going to turn this topic on its head a bit.

How about albums you hate by bands you love. For me I've been an Incubus fan since Science was released, I liked every single one of their records except A Crow Left of the Murder. I thought that album was garbage comparetively.

So what do you think? Albums you hate by a band you love.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:31 pm
Post Re: Songs you hate from bands you love
I love, love Judas Priest but there are some songs of theirs I find horrible like Beyond the Realms of Death, Screaming for Vengeance, Sinner and Delivering the Goods.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:25 pm
I love Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds but they've had their share of terrible ideas, the worst of which is the entirety of their Murder Ballads album from the mid-1990's. I wouldn't expect something so sterile, dull, and flat-out laughable from a band that has a history of some of the best songwriting in the last thirty years. It's a giant misfire but it indicates, to me at least, the band takes some big risks -- they were bound to fail pretty big at least once.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:29 pm
St. Anger by Metallica. This was by far the worst thing I've heard from them. I know Load and Reload get their share of lumps, but there are enough decent tracks on those albums for me to like them.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:06 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
St. Anger by Metallica. This was by far the worst thing I've heard from them. I know Load and Reload get their share of lumps, but there are enough decent tracks on those albums for me to like them.

Ah crap, now I'm having flashbacks to that abortion of an album

Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:17 pm
Patrick wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

Ah crap, now I'm having flashbacks to that abortion of an album

I actually bought it as soon as it came out. Since then I've downloaded/streamed every single album I'm interested in before making a decision to purchase.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:39 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
I love Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds but they've had their share of terrible ideas, the worst of which is the entirety of their Murder Ballads album from the mid-1990's. I wouldn't expect something so sterile, dull, and flat-out laughable from a band that has a history of some of the best songwriting in the last thirty years. It's a giant misfire but it indicates, to me at least, the band takes some big risks -- they were bound to fail pretty big at least once.

The track 'Stagger Lee' is a twisted meisterstroke. It's an overrated album, really - nothing more or less. It's solid and it has alot of disturbing ideas, but nevertheless it can also be quite dull in stretches. Nevertheless, The Bad Seeds are nowhere near as unsettling as The Birthday Party were - and probably shouldn't try.

A great band doing a genuinely horrible song? 'Hats Off To Roy Harper' from Led Zeppelin. Oh boy, what a horror. And from their golden era, too. Very mystifying.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:56 pm
stiefmo wrote:
How about albums you hate by bands you love. For me I've been an Incubus fan since Science was released, I liked every single one of their records except A Crow Left of the Murder. I thought that album was garbage comparetively.

In opinion, not only was A Crow Left Of The Murder a near-masterpiece (imagine one of their contemporaries pulling it off). If anything, I was bitterly disappointed by the relative lack of ambition displayed on Light Grenades. I should make it clear that I despise older Incubus, mostly; this decade has been their best, by far.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:01 pm
now i wont say i love opeth - i like em. my opinion on them is "they're pretty good" - but i just hated watershed. complete mess.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:14 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
stiefmo wrote:

In opinion, not only was A Crow Left Of The Murder a near-masterpiece (imagine one of their contemporaries pulling it off). If anything, I was bitterly disappointed by the relative lack of ambition displayed on Light Grenades. I should make it clear that I despise older Incubus, mostly; this decade has been their best, by far.

Evenflow, I'm just going to have to accept that our musical tastes are exact opposites of each other.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:33 pm
Director

"She's Like Heroin" by System of a Down. One of the greatest rock bands ever IMO, but this song blows. You could see the demise of SOAD in this song, when Malakain completely takes over vocally and Serj is limited to mere shrills here and there. Just a catastrophe.

Basically anything from "St. Anger" by Metallica other than "Frantic", "Shoot Me Again", and "The Unnamed Feeling". That album is pretty bad, it's not horrible like people make it out to be, but it's certainly not good.

I was a big Linkin Park fan growing up, and I still love their first two albums, as repetitive in style they are, but their latest single "A New Divide" is atrocious, it just goes to show they're losing the screaming style that made them popular, and are instead going down that lonely road that is standard alternative rock music. To me this song means they've lost their edge and tenacity, which is disappointing.

First that come to mind.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:13 am
Profile WWW
DunkinDan89 wrote:
"
Basically anything from "St. Anger" by Metallica other than "Frantic", "Shoot Me Again", and "The Unnamed Feeling". That album is pretty bad, it's not horrible like people make it out to be, but it's certainly not good.

Frantic?! The laziest Metallica song ever with the worst Metallica lyric "My lifestyle is my deathstyle!" I can't even think of any other Metallica lyric that is so lazy and heavy-handed and I'm really staining to think of some. I'm getting a headache trying to think of some!

Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:49 am
Director

Patrick wrote:

Frantic?! The laziest Metallica song ever with the worst Metallica lyric "My lifestyle is my deathstyle!" I can't even think of any other Metallica lyric that is so lazy and heavy-handed and I'm really staining to think of some. I'm getting a headache trying to think of some!

To be fair it's "My lifestyle determines my deathstyle" :). I don't know, maybe it's nostalgia, I loved that song when I was in 8th grade, I still like it for the most part today. I found/find the chorus line catchy with the "tic tic tock!", hey, whatever, haha. I think "St. Anger" is a bad album, but not a total piece of crap, "The Unnamed Feeling" is definitely listenable.

Speaking of Metallica, I've been hooked on the song "Die Die My Darling". Pretty repetitive, but extremely catchy, just my opinion though.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:02 am
Profile WWW
Evenflow8112 wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

The track 'Stagger Lee' is a twisted meisterstroke. It's an overrated album, really - nothing more or less. It's solid and it has alot of disturbing ideas, but nevertheless it can also be quite dull in stretches. Nevertheless, The Bad Seeds are nowhere near as unsettling as The Birthday Party were - and probably shouldn't try.

Nobody doesn't love The Birthday Party. If anyone ever starts a thread of 'Songs You Love from Bands You Love' I'll be the one that posts Birthday Party's 'Cry'. You know, Evenflow, between The Birthday Party and Manic Street Preachers... to offset the lyrics of either one of those bands you're gonna need to add some bubblegum pop to your collection. More songs about ponys and wanting to dance all night long. Although too much of that will probably lead to murder.

Moving on, I'm the one guy on earth that really loves The Residents. Hate The Gingerbread Man album. It's a CD-ROM concept piece that combines creepy, melodramatically depressing songs with creepy, depressing visuals. Too much cynicism for one album alone. Every time I hear it I think of the last scene of Penn and Teller Get Killed, a movie that time has forgotten.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:42 am
aameen wrote:
now i wont say i love opeth - i like em. my opinion on them is "they're pretty good" - but i just hated watershed. complete mess.

<voice="Sheila Broflovski">

What, What, WHAT?

</voice>

DunkinDan89 wrote:
Speaking of Metallica, I've been hooked on the song "Die Die My Darling". Pretty repetitive, but extremely catchy, just my opinion though.

I agree. There are some pretty decent covers on that disc: Loverman and Astronomy come to mind.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:51 pm
stiefmo wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:
stiefmo wrote:

Evenflow, I'm just going to have to accept that our musical tastes are exact opposites of each other.

I've never been more grateful ;)

I think we can all agree that compared to a band like Hoobastank, who inhabited Incubus' mainstream niche, that they are a genuinely artistic and earnest band; they make music that actually inspires them. This only makes sense, since they do love Pearl Jam, the pinnacle of this school of thought.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:17 pm
Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da by the Beatles,
Pictures of Lily by The Who,
and Prostitute by Guns N' Roses (but I did like the rest of the album, especially Chinese Democracy, IRS, and Shackler's Revenge)

Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:45 am
Patrick mentioning Iron Maiden got me thinking...

I like most of their albums but neither The X Factor nor Virtual XI did anything for me. The fact that Bruce Dickinson wasn't involved with those two albums surely played a huge part, but that said, I don't think he is that vital. Their pre-Bruce stuff is still really good.

Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:38 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Patrick mentioning Iron Maiden got me thinking...

I like most of their albums but neither The X Factor nor Virtual XI did anything for me. The fact that Bruce Dickinson wasn't involved with those two albums surely played a huge part, but that said, I don't think he is that vital. Their pre-Bruce stuff is still really good.

Dickinson became vital once he joined, imagine Paul Di'Anno singing Aces High, Run to the Hills, The Trooper or any other post Di'Anno songs....horrible chaos.

Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:02 pm
Patrick wrote:
I love, love Judas Priest but there are some songs of theirs I find horrible like Beyond the Realms of Death, Screaming for Vengeance, Sinner and Delivering the Goods.

Blasphemy.

The discussion of all things bad about Judas Priest begins and ends with Turbo.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:45 pm