Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:05 am

Elite school references in film 
Post Re: Elite school references in film
aameen wrote:
authun wrote:
The problem is that there's essentially nothing to qualify her discontent, aside from his understandably being busy, beyond extended stretches of panning the camera to focus on Scarlett's ass. Now, that's Oscar-worthy.

dont you insult that shot. this is one of the best shots in the film. it puts us right into the pace where the director wants us. and it does so with a beautiful pose. lying down. exactly how the character should open. just dont insult that shot. JUST DONT!!!

Hmm, I didn't realise that authun was joking here. I take it pretty serious when someone describes a shot of Scarlett Jo's ass as Oscar-worthy.

aameen wrote:
PS - no, ed, whatever this may lead you to think, im not having an "argument" with "myself", now. :lol:

I feel like if I just got cockblocked...

Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:02 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
aameen wrote:
authun wrote:
The problem is that there's essentially nothing to qualify her discontent, aside from his understandably being busy, beyond extended stretches of panning the camera to focus on Scarlett's ass. Now, that's Oscar-worthy.

dont you insult that shot. this is one of the best shots in the film. it puts us right into the pace where the director wants us. and it does so with a beautiful pose. lying down. exactly how the character should open. just dont insult that shot. JUST DONT!!!

Hmm, I didn't realise that authun was joking here. I take it pretty serious when someone describes a shot of Scarlett Jo's ass as Oscar-worthy.

as i take it, of course he's not joking, but he is being sarcastic. maybe im wrong. but i dont think i am.
and im being totally serious. in a funny way. as in, my opinion is what the text says, although the text is meant to crack a smile.
this thread feels like a zombie with his legs and an arm shot off but still wont stop as he's pulling himself with that 1 arm.

aameen wrote:
PS - no, ed, whatever this may lead you to think, im not having an "argument" with "myself", now. :lol:

I feel like if I just got cockblocked...[/quote]
hmmm....i dont know if you got my joke, but i certainly didn't get yours.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:20 pm
aameen wrote:
this thread feels like a zombie with his legs and an arm shot off but still wont stop as he's pulling himself with that 1 arm.

You wouldn't feel that way if you had attended Yale. Surely a Harvard student could have come up with a better analogy? Perhaps a parallel universe amen who will be enrolling at Dartmouth in the fall would have some pointers on how to revive this thread. All the kids at Columbia reading this post are fuming that they haven't been mentioned. Just imagine how furious the people at University at Pennsylvania are, then! And, although it's only early morn at Princeton, the students are hard at work annotating each and every word of your post. The people at Brown are too good to bother responding.

Fuck Cornell. It's a safety school.

Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:55 am
majoraphasia wrote:
aameen wrote:

You wouldn't feel that way if you had attended Yale. Surely a Harvard student could have come up with a better analogy? Perhaps a parallel universe amen who will be enrolling at Dartmouth in the fall would have some pointers on how to revive this thread. All the kids at Columbia reading this post are fuming that they haven't been mentioned. Just imagine how furious the people at University at Pennsylvania are, then! And, although it's only early morn at Princeton, the students are hard at work annotating each and every word of your post. The people at Brown are too good to bother responding.

Fuck Cornell. It's a safety school.

hmmm....you seem under the impression that i want the zombie to keep going. or maybe not. as we all know, i didnt go to yale. :P

of all these, i think i like the ones at brown the best.

Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:48 am
aameen wrote:
and im being totally serious. in a funny way. as in, my opinion is what the text says, although the text is meant to crack a smile.

Well if you and ed weren't bickering like ninnies, maybe we wouldn't have a zombie apocalypse on this board.

Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:35 am
Patrick wrote:
aameen wrote:

Well if you and ed weren't bickering like ninnies, maybe we wouldn't have a zombie apocalypse on this board.

OH!!

Oh!!

oh!
so im ruining this thread am i? or rather we're ruining it. well...

well..ill say to you...

OH!! i just read it again..im ruining the whole board huh? well...:cough: well...
i'll tell you, sir...

yeah.

Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:10 pm
aameen wrote:

ed_metal_head wrote:
I feel like if I just got cockblocked...

hmmm....i dont know if you got my joke, but i certainly didn't get yours.

/sighs...the last time I'll bicker on this zombie...

I got your joke. You were referring to the instance where I thought you and authun were the same person. Thus when you two were arguing I might infer that you were arguing with yourself.

I said it felt like being "cockblocked" [urbandictionary.com] because you denied me the pleasure of asking why you were arguing with yourself.

Now, let me try to say something ontopic, before poor Patrick has an aneurysm...

Sure, it's often lazy writing to say a character attended a specific school, but sometimes these shortcuts are necessary. I'm not sure that I'd want several scenes demonstrating a character's intelligence when the point of the film is, say, a romance set in Japan.

Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:25 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i wondered if you would explain it... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
but i must apologise. for making you.

PS-i have to say though, your vocabulary is pleasantly odd. :D

PPS-love that you used an urban dictionary link.

Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:04 pm
aameen wrote:

I liked the first one, aameen, as any man should. It seemed the second (third?) time around it was getting a bit purposeful, though, as if the "cinematographer" didn't know what else to do with the camera.

ed_metal_head wrote:
Sure, it's often lazy writing to say a character attended a specific school, but sometimes these shortcuts are necessary. I'm not sure that I'd want several scenes demonstrating a character's intelligence when the point of the film is, say, a romance set in Japan.

Extra scenes are not necessary. In fact, I feel the whole drive to "run down" the vacuous L.A. female friend of the husband (her father was a starving P.O.W. by the way - they're certainly known for raising bimbo daughters) served no purpose to the story whatsoever, other than a comedic outlet, perhaps. It was about as funny as the retarded and offensive call girl humor. How lazy can an L vs. R reference to an Asian speaking English possibly be? Weak...

The criticism of the L.A. girl was utterly hypocritical IMO given how unconvincingly superficial the first half of the movie was.

A scholastic shortcut is necessary, perhaps, in some political piece, a film where some national or global issue is being addressed or, of course, a story set in high society. Her character, by no means "has" to be highly intelligent. Just intelligent would suffice, and I don't even know if that's necessary. Either the scriptwriting (my candidate) or the casting (of the husband) is to blame.

Regardless, my criticism of Lost In Translation at large has less to do with my point, which is to discourage these shortcuts and note how they impact the plausibility of a film at large.

I agree that the thread is dying in that the remaining participants just don't seem to get it, or can simply overlook such blots in a film script. Welcome to the 21st century, authun...

Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:15 pm
aameen wrote:
PS-i have to say though, your vocabulary is pleasantly odd. :D

Once upon a time it was just pleasant. Now it's as bad as my sentence structure and grammar.

Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:26 pm
hmm...let me just clear something. the device is good. its a good device. saying that a character went to a big college signifies at the very least some intellectual capabilities and a lot of hard work. its a good device. an overused one, but not lazy writing. actually its better than just the character showing intelligence. cuz in that case we just subconsciously believe the character is "intelligent". if the writer includes a scene just to show me a character's intelligence, well, THAT is bad writing. so to me, its an overused, yes, but a good writing device. but the problem comes when everything else doesn't live up to it. then, its a cheap trick. its not bad writing to use it. hell, where would good will hunting stand if it were? it takes place AT MIT!! BUT, its bad writing to rely upon that little peice of dialogue to convey something that isn't part of the de facto character but does increase that character's appeal. that, to me, is the problem. i think the best point was made by trevor and it was unfortunately overlooked.
Trevor wrote:
Yeah, and forget film/tv--what about in the professional world and in politics? It's just Yale this, Harvard law that! Of course Obama went to Harvard--what a poorly written character!

Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:01 pm
I couldn't disagree more, with the exception of the statement that it is overused. In fact, it is becoming all the more overused, which is a disappointing trend. It is a by-product of the referential "link to information" age we live in, which is perfectly appropriate in the context of the internet, but completely out of place in the role of a storyteller, unless he/she wants the story to be particularly hollow.

Trevor's pointless statement was not overlooked.

Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:12 am
authun, here's my take at it dude. look at it in absolution. whats better - if a film-maker shows you the thing or makes you subconsciously think it.
thats the way i look at it.
yes, it is overused and has become lazy. but surely we must judge each thing by what it is, rather than where it stands in the world. of course, there comes a question of originality with that sentence, which i disregard, saying that im only talking ideally and am accepting that because of that, it points to lazy writing. i will give you that.

Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:42 am