Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:50 am

Thoughts on PETA... 
Post Thoughts on PETA...
I always used to think that PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) was an admirable and, well, ethical organisation. All that changed a couple of years ago when I caught the PETA episode [youtube.com] of Penn & Teller: Bullshit! on Showtime. Most of the points raised can be easily verified.

For instance, in 2008, PETA euthanised 95.8% of the animals they "rescued". 7 animals ended up being adopted. Now, I know these statistics are from a website called "PETA Kills Animals", but they do compile their data from PETA's actual numbers.

Burning down research labs? PETA approves, and no need to dig around, they say so on their own website [peta.org], where they compare the practice to the Underground Railroad and the French Resistance:

“How can you justify the millions of dollars of property damage caused by the Animal Liberation Front (ALF)?”

Throughout history, some people have felt the need to break the law to fight injustice. The Underground Railroad and the French Resistance are examples of movements in which people broke the law in order to answer to a higher morality. The ALF, which is simply the name adopted by people who act illegally in behalf of animal rights, breaks inanimate objects such as stereotaxic devices and decapitators in order to save lives. ALF members burn empty buildings in which animals are tortured and killed. ALF “raids” have given us proof of horrific cruelty that would not have otherwise been discovered or believed and have resulted in criminal charges’ being filed against laboratories for violations of the Animal Welfare Act. Often, ALF raids have been followed by widespread scientific condemnation of the practices occurring in the targeted labs, and some abusive laboratories have been permanently shut down as a result.

Finally, here are "7 Things You Didn't Know About PETA".

These days I find PETA to be a distasteful, hypocritical organisation*.

* I sure do enjoy looking at those scantily clad women (a google image search looking only for the term "peta") they use in their protests though.

Mon May 25, 2009 2:57 pm
Post Re: Thoughts on PETA...
I don't know what to think. I took a class last year that focused on Animal's and their history in our culture and the Vice President from PETA came in as a guest speaker. He was very well-spoken and honest with everyone. It made me admire him and his position....and then I searched him on google and found out that he got arrested for things along the lines of bashing an airplane with a sledgehammer and running around naked shouting for animal rights...

i dont know what to think hahaha.

Mon May 25, 2009 3:33 pm
I'm all for saving animals and stuff even though I'm a meatatarian but it's a case of the lesser of lots of evils. I don't think they ever engage in terrorist or tried to save Seattle salmon only to cause a massive population drop.

Mon May 25, 2009 4:11 pm
My impressions of PETA have been fairly negative from day one, mainly because I see them as a group of people who criticise without providing viable alternatives. For example: the stupid "Got Beer?" campaign aimed at getting people to drink beer instead of milk? I mean, really, BEER instead of MILK, for f@#@#$@? My favorite is still how PETA criticized Inuit peoples for hunting seals even though they do it to survive. Thanks, PETA, you f#@tards- what alternatives do you propose to the Inuit in how to survive? That's what I thought, you pricks.

Basically, PETA provides a fashionable cause for celebrities to follow which in turn gives the self-proclaimed attention-whores to spread the "fame" of their organization across the globe. The depth of my contempt for them can't be expressed easily in words.

Mon May 25, 2009 8:18 pm
PETA belongs to a list I have of "benign fascists". They have great theoretical aims and, when it comes to bridging the gap between theory and action, they tend to use wanton violence and property destruction to bring home their points. They're labeled leftists but that doesn't sound right to me -- they're Crusaders of the Conscience, another in a long line of activists that don't care one bit what you think and wouldn't hear you even if you liked their position. They have the power to turn people pro-whaling and lovers of fur with their tactics -- why would anyone want to align themselves with a group that murders dialectic and uses bully tactics to make a point that people, rightfully, don't feel insanely strong about?

It's like the Truth campaign for anti-smoking: all the class and artistry of Johnny Knoxville without the faith in others to listen to them. PETA and The Truth: two organizations that use condescension and collective guilt as a sweet talking technique.

Mon May 25, 2009 11:49 pm
I don't know much about PETA, but at least they're good for a laugh: Some months ago, I read about one of their campaigns: They wanted fishes to be called "sea kittens" in the future in order to raise awareness on the cruel treatment of fish. Meow!

Tue May 26, 2009 3:36 am
Unke wrote:
I don't know much about PETA, but at least they're good for a laugh: Some months ago, I read about one of their campaigns: They wanted fishes to be called "sea kittens" in the future in order to raise awareness on the cruel treatment of fish. Meow!

I... what... llamas... you've done... I can't. But... hold. Hold on. JOY OVERLOAD.

Why has nobody told me this?! Why have I come to this information, this blessedly delightful information, only now?! Sea kittens! They've dubbed fish SEA KITTENS! This is so exciting a development I'll be speaking in tongues for the rest of the day.

In the spirit of PETA's bizarre method to put fish, an animal as un-mammal like as they come, in the same cuddly arena as our recognizably mammalian pets (though not mine as I'm allergic to both land cats as well as those felines of our great waters) I want to offer up the grassroots attempt at rebranding all birds as airfood.

Imagine a soaring eagle, the very symbol of the American Dream, flying his way onto your dinner plate.

Cause that's what I did when I came up with my new "Got Airfood?" campaign poster.

Tue May 26, 2009 6:31 am
majoraphasia wrote:
Unke wrote:

I... what... llamas... you've done... I can't. But... hold. Hold on. JOY OVERLOAD.

Why has nobody told me this?! Why have I come to this information, this blessedly delightful information, only now?! Sea kittens! They've dubbed fish SEA KITTENS! This is so exciting a development I'll be speaking in tongues for the rest of the day.

In case you're interested: here's the official homepage of the campaign: http://www.peta.org/sea_kittens/

I just don't hope that some supporters of this campaign will be severely disappointed when they interpret a "sea kitten" swimming belly up as an invitation to stroke the "sea kitten's" belly.

Tue May 26, 2009 6:46 am
Some PETA people are okay but as an organization they suck. I couldn't stand them before the Bullshit! episode. Back when I used to go to Warped Tour I always regretted not going to the PETA booth whilst eating a meat product.

Tue May 26, 2009 9:04 am
One of Ed metal head’s links brought this up already, but what the heck:

The PETA protest I remember most vividly was the 2003 Holocaust on your Plate Exhibition—that’s where they contrasted images of the Nazi death camps with images of animal husbandry. They got into all kinds of legal trouble in Germany. I can remember they had images of dead pigs contrasted against images of dead Jews.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2003/mar/03/advertising.marketingandpr

Classy organization, PETA,…

Tue May 26, 2009 8:07 pm
Ratel wrote:
One of Ed metal head’s links brought this up already, but what the heck:

The PETA protest I remember most vividly was the 2003 Holocaust on your Plate Exhibition—that’s where they contrasted images of the Nazi death camps with images of animal husbandry. They got into all kinds of legal trouble in Germany. I can remember they had images of dead pigs contrasted against images of dead Jews.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2003/mar/03/advertising.marketingandpr

Classy organization, PETA,…

Today was a horrible, horrible day. Just unbelievably frustrating. To come home and read more on PETA and their tactics reminds me that a silver lining is only a Holocaust on Your Fucking Plate away. Every time I swallow an antacid I think of it as a holocaust on pH. Each time I take an antibiotic it's only five minutes before I'm screaming at my reflection for MURDERING those innocent bacteria. When I meet someone who's on an antiviral for herpes I'm quick to grab them by the shoulders, lock eyes, and accuse them of treating the herpes simplex virus like a Jew headed for the death camps.

"You goddam Hitler!" I shout as they back away, hands held aloft to protect themselves from the inevitable punches I'll be attempting to land on their genocidal little skulls.

"What did herpes ever do to you, you son of a bitch?" And yet, still, they take the tablets. Fools! FOOLS!

Why can't we peacefully coexist with bears, chickens, and streptococcus? Has this world gone made with man's feverish desire to control everything before him?!

Fuck it. I'm anthropomorphising everything I see. How can I conscionably continue typing this stupid, overlong screed when every fingerstroke leads to more death?

Man. I should calm down, huh? Yeah.

Tue May 26, 2009 11:01 pm
Most of my former ignorance stems from the fact that I live in a country where PETA has zero presence and animals are treated rather poorly. Every now and again I'd browse the newspaper and see a PETA protest that featured a photo of some rather attractive half nude women protesting fur. "They're quite alright" I used to say. "At least someone is sticking up for the animals". Besides they have all these celebrities ("celebrities"?) who support their cause, so they can't be crazy, can they?

While I can't begin to match Unke's Sea Kittens I do know that they asked the Pet Shop Boys to change their name to the Rescue Shelter Boys [bbc.co.uk]. Doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?

majoraphasia wrote:
(though not mine as I'm allergic to both land cats as well as those felines of our great waters)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Heads up: I intend to liberally plagiarize "felines of our great waters".

Tue May 26, 2009 11:40 pm
im going to address a bigger issue here. where does this mentality come from?
how fucking complex is the human brain that it gets to such arrogance that it thinks its not part of something it itself defined as everything.

all this save animals, save nature crap. i mean, we're all part of nature. a lion eats a deer. that's ok. i eat a chicken - well?

Thu May 28, 2009 11:34 pm
If it's alright by dolphins...it's alright by me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojydNb3Lrrs

:shock:

Thu May 28, 2009 11:42 pm
aameen wrote:
how
fucking complex is the human brain that it gets to such arrogance that
it thinks its not part of something it itself defined as everything.

all
this save animals, save nature crap. i mean, we're all part of nature.
a lion eats a deer. that's ok. i eat a chicken - well?

Why... you smug son of a bitch. Who are you? Hmmmm? Hitler? You eat a chicken? You... who the f*ck do you think you are? Huh? Only an arrogant, Nazi-like punk such as yourself would voice the Sounds of The Fourth Reich. Perhaps if you weren't so stupid, "aameen", and you could appreciate that a gentle sea pussy cat has feelings just as complex as your own, you wouldn't eat a chicken. Don't you know that chickens are the sea kittens of the land?

Go to hell, Himmler.

Fur is murder! Fur is murder! Save the whales! Mondale/Ferarro '84! Fur is murder!

Fri May 29, 2009 1:05 am
majoraphasia wrote:
aameen wrote:
how
fucking complex is the human brain that it gets to such arrogance that
it thinks its not part of something it itself defined as everything.

all
this save animals, save nature crap. i mean, we're all part of nature.
a lion eats a deer. that's ok. i eat a chicken - well?

Why... you smug son of a bitch. Who are you? Hmmmm? Hitler? You eat a chicken? You... who the f*ck do you think you are? Huh? Only an arrogant, Nazi-like punk such as yourself would voice the Sounds of The Fourth Reich. Perhaps if you weren't so stupid, "aameen", and you could appreciate that a gentle sea pussy cat has feelings just as complex as your own, you wouldn't eat a chicken. Don't you know that chickens are the sea kittens of the land?

Go to hell, Himmler.

Fur is murder! Fur is murder! Save the whales! Mondale/Ferarro '84! Fur is murder!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"fur is murder" genius... now im not a biologist but fur is hair. do they really use "fur is murder"? :lol:

i regret that i cannot respond to the post. just dont want another competition-argument thing happening. but brilliant none the less.

PS - "....Perhaps if you weren't so stupid, "aameen", and you could appreciate..... " - its my name dude. not a moniker. :)

Fri May 29, 2009 2:07 am
aameen wrote:

"fur is murder" genius... now im not a biologist but fur is hair. do they really use "fur is murder"? :lol:

You know, I have no idea if they chant "fur is murder" during any protests. I've heard the slogan in popular media but have no proof of it's actual usage. The idea is that animals shouldn't be killed only for their pelts -- a fair point, actually. I agree. The tactic reportedly used, during the 'fur is murder' chanting, was to throw red paint on people wearing fur coats.

aameen wrote:
i regret that i cannot respond to the post. just dont want another competition-argument thing happening. but brilliant none the less.

It was worth a shot. It marks the first and last time I'll be trying it.

aameen wrote:
PS - "....Perhaps if you weren't so stupid, "aameen", and you could appreciate..... " - its my name dude. not a moniker. :)

I guessed. One could imagine an angry, PETA-admiring forum member calling your name into question. If you went by Diablo Cody, however, I'd have definitely meant it with complete sincerity.

Fri May 29, 2009 4:52 am
PETA: F&*^ them and the horse they rode in on (which is probably delicious).

As much as I dislike that horrible, horrible woman from 'Roger & Me' (you know who), I still can't sympathize with PETA. They are unbearably self-righteous, and, since there are vegetarians in the world with a scintilla of common sense (I know a few), it's unfortunate that they have such a terrible organization to represent them. As for Truth... they skipped the line into self-parody in the late 90's, and they never did as effective a commercial as D.A.R.E (I think) did for heroin... you know, the one with the woman taking off her make-up slowly to reveal her scars in the mirror in black and white. Now THAT was effective. Even chilling.

Fri May 29, 2009 5:23 am
majoraphasia wrote:
aameen wrote:

You know, I have no idea if they chant "fur is murder" during any protests. I've heard the slogan in popular media but have no proof of it's actual usage. The idea is that animals shouldn't be killed only for their pelts -- a fair point, actually. I agree. The tactic reportedly used, during the 'fur is murder' chanting, was to throw red paint on people wearing fur coats.

well, i know the intended use of the slogan, it was just something stupid i typed. but to address the actual use of fur.
im not sure i agree with this. if you like to wear fur, and can live with the fact that its made in a process which is cruel, all the power to ya. wear whatever you want to wear. i wont criticize someone for their tastes. also, why only fur, why not silk. i may be wrong here, but i remember that an insect had to be killed in its cocoon to obtain silk threads, right? thats the way i remember it, and in case i am right - why the hell not protest silk shirts? why only fur? just cuz the animals seem more cuddly? :lol:

majoraphasia wrote:
aameen wrote:

It was worth a shot. It marks the first and last time I'll be trying it.

oh man! now i wish i had done it....

majoraphasia wrote:
aameen wrote:

I guessed. One could imagine an angry, PETA-admiring forum member calling your name into question. If you went by Diablo Cody, however, I'd have definitely meant it with complete sincerity.

well, yeah... :)

Evenflow8112 wrote:
PETA: F&*^ them and the horse they rode in on (which is probably delicious).

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri May 29, 2009 7:23 am
Their hearts are in the right place, but they're freakin' crackpots. To quote Carlos Mencia:

"I don't eat anything alive!"
"Well, enjoy this tasty rock!"

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:14 pm