Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:56 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Least Deserving/Most Deserving Oscar Winners - Actors 
Post Least Deserving/Most Deserving Oscar Winners - Actors
Do as you will, I think this is self-explanatory. Me, I'll lock it down to a top 5. You can even add a nominee who didn't win, just to be mean. That's the point. Can be supporting actor nods.

Most Deserving:

5. Ellen Burstyn's Best Actress nod for 'Requiem For A Dream' - She was brilliant, although I am not sour at Julia Roberts for winning. Not really.
4. Marlon Brando, Best Actor for 'On The Waterfront' - The classic Best Actor win, one of the most lauded selections the academy ever made.
3. Tom Hanks, Best Actor for for 'Forrest Gump' - For nailing the tricky serio-comic role. A perfect performance.
2. Meryl Streep, Best Actress for for 'Sophie's Choice' - This is simply heartbreaking, dazzling work. Devastating turn.
1. Robert DeNiro, Best Actor for 'Raging Bull' - Greatest male acting performance perhaps of all time.

Least Deserving:

5. Linda Blair, Best Supporting Actress for 'The Exorcist' - Good film, with a terribly overrated turn by Miss Blair. She would only go on to prove me right with a wretched sequel and a million horrible exploitation flicks.
4. Jamie Foxx, Best Actor for 'Ray' - Joaquin Phoenix's performance as Johnny Cash has only put this one in harsher perspective. Paul Giamatti was the pinnacle choice for this year, and it earned him a no-show. F*cking Academy...
3. Al Pacino, Best Actor for 'Scent Of A Woman' - This performance, of all of Pacino's work, goes down in history? Oh, such sins, such sins...
2. Tommy Lee Jones, Best Supporting Actor for 'The Fugitive' - Not only is it not his best performance, but it came at the cost of Ralph Fienne's best, as well (even if awarding just a fictitious Goeth is digusting on principle).
1. Art Carney, Best Actor for 'Harry And Tonto' - Any other year, man. Over Pacino in 74', no good. Terrible blemish on the Academy.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:59 am
Post Re: Least Deserving/Most Deserving Oscar Winners - Actors
Linda Blair was the bomb in Chained Heat dammit!

Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:07 am
I'd move Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump to the least deserving category. Morgan Freeman or Nigel Hawthorne should have won that year.

Also, I don't think Hanks (sorry Tom!) should have won the year before for Philadelphia. Anthony Hopkins should have won for The Remains of the Day. However, Hopkins was fortunate to win later for The Silence of the Lambs.

My Most Deserving list would include Kevin Spacey for American Beauty.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:44 am
Well, I just saw A Streetcar Named Desire last night so Marlon Brando's performance comes to mind for the most deserving. As far as least deserving I'm still not sure where Alan Arkin's win for Little Miss Sunshine came from. It was a fun role but it certainly didn't even merit a nomination.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:04 pm
I'll try least deserving

Lee Marvin for Cat Ballou. I really like LM but surely this was Rod Steiger's for the Pawnbroker.
Realizing their mistake 2 years later they screw up again and give Steiger the award over Paul Newman

It just goes on and on :-(

How does Jeremy Irons beat Gerard Depardieu as Cyrano in 1990?
Al Pacino wins for SOAW in 1992 - all 4 other nominations were superior
Daniel Day Lewis needed to be a gay irishman in 1993
I'd even say that in retrospect Cruise should have won for Jerry Maguire in 96 - Geoffrey Rush?
Nicholson mugs away and beats the great Robert Duvall and Peter Fonda in 1997
as for Roberto Benigni, it's an embarassment

I try and fail to keep away from the Oscars because it's just littered with this stuff
Rob

Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:38 pm
Five more most deserving:

William H. Macy, Best Supporting Actor Nomination, 'Fargo' - His definitive 'loser' portrayal. Has he ever been more effectively used?

Jim Broadbent, Best Supporting Actor Win, 'Iris' - His performance here is of great depth and also traversed more paths and time changes than most performances I can recall at the moment.

Javier Bardem, Best Supporting Actor Win, 'No Country For Old Men' - Chilling, masterful performance of pure, thrilling evil. I even think it outdoes his role in 'The Sea Inside'.

Nicolas Cage, Best Actor Win, 'Leaving Las Vegas' - He may not pick all of the best parts, but here he picked that definitive, perfect role that he did better than anyone else could. Once in a lifetime.

Anthony Hopkins, Best Actor Win, 'Silence Of The Lambs' - Even more chilling than Bardem's, this is one of the best male acting performances, ever. Have you ever looked into his eyes when watching 'Silence Of The Lambs'? Do so, and you may find youself running out the nearest door. Truly frightening.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:27 pm
Some most deserving:

Gene Hackman for Unforgiven: Took what could have been just another bad guy and portrayed him sympathetically. Great performance.
Ellen Burstyn for Requiem for a Dream: In a clear case of the Academy picking the popular actress over the most deserving, Julia Roberts beats what I consider to be the greatest performance by an actress in movie history.
Tom Hanks for Philadelphia: He was overrated in Forrest Gump, I thought, but was brilliant in Philadelphia

Least deserving:

Judi Dench for Shakespeare in Love: An Oscar for 8 minutes of screen time? Are you kidding me?
Benicio del Toro for Traffic: He didn't even give the best performance in that movie, let alone deserved the Oscar for it
Kevin Spacey for The Usual Suspects: He was very good, but his performance was the weakest of all the nominess

Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:08 pm
MOST DESERVING
Heath Ledger for The Dark Knight;;; sorry, but it has to be said.
Kate Winslet for The Reader;;; an apparently boundless actress gives the best performance of her career.
Meryl Streep for Sophie's Choice;;; Jesus.
Peter Sellers for Dr. Strangelove;;; what genius this man had.
Dustin Hoffman for Midnight Cowboy;;; turns what could be a pitiful character to one who you feel deserves redemption.
Marlon Brando for The Godfather;;; it's part of what makes the movie what it is.
Robert De Niro for Raging Bull;;; duh.
Audrey Hepburn for Breakfast at Tiffany's;;; made me love her.
Gloria Swanson for Sunset Blvd.;;; an obvious choice.
Charlize Theron for Monster;;; who knew she had it in her?

I agree with what everyone else has said so far. I'm not qualified enough to make a least deserving list. I'm not even sure Al Pacino belongs on it.

I'll do supporting in another post.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:52 am
Least deserving:
Shakespeare In Love winning Best Picture. Should've been Saving Private Ryan.

Most deserving:
Tom Hanks for Philadelphia. Up until that point, he was strictly a comedic actor.
Heath Ledger for The Dark Knight. No one should ever play the Joker on film again.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:20 pm
I wish Shakespeare in Love was an actor, so I could literally force them to hand it over to Mr. Saving Private Ryan, but in the real world I would have to go through the entire produiction team, and that's so much hassle to work about.

As far as least deserving, Sean Penn over Mickey Rourke, if arguable, also makes his victory over Bill Murray especially cruel; Penn may win another on top of this, but Rourke and Murray will likely never get that close ever again, and both were better in their respective years.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:56 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
I wish Shakespeare in Love was an actor, so I could literally force them to hand it over to Mr. Saving Private Ryan, but in the real world I would have to go through the entire produiction team, and that's so much hassle to work about.

As far as least deserving, Sean Penn over Mickey Rourke, if arguable, also makes his victory over Bill Murray especially cruel; Penn may win another on top of this, but Rourke and Murray will likely never get that close ever again, and both were better in their respective years.

Penn, in my opinion, was better than Rourke. He had to hide his gigantic ego and play a character who's almost completely intangible. He's more of an idol than a real person nowadays. Rourke played himself, in a sense. While he may have had to confront some personal demons to be his character, that's not acting. That all being said, I enjoyed Rourke's performance more (and that should be taken into account) and Murray DEFINITELY deserved the Oscar for Lost in Translation. My mother even said that night Bill Murray's probably never going to be a nominee again.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:03 pm
Sean Pen is often criticized, as Nicholson is, for playing 'himself'. I don't know - I've never met him. Same with Rourke.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:55 pm
That's why he didn't deserve the Oscar for Mystic River lol. He's kind of a dick in real life, which he amplified in Mystic River with little subtlety. That's why he had that part in his acceptance speech for Milk about knowing how hard it is to appreciate him often.

Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:16 pm
For least deserving actor, I go to 1939. The year of Jimmy Stewart giving one of the greatest speeches ever in Mr Smith Goes to Washington. The year of Clark Gable giving one of the greatest exit lines ever in Gone With the Wind. How exactly did the academy decide Robert Donat was more deserving in Goodbye, Mr. Chips?

Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:42 pm
Some Least Deserving Ones:

- Judi Dench for Shakespeare in Love: Like someone said... for 8 minutes of screen time?

- Sean Penn over Mickey Rourke. I haven't seen The Wrestler, and Penn's performance wasn't bad at all; but I just think Mickey deserved his full comeback.

- Al Pacino, Scent of a Woman. Sure, he's fun to watch, and truthfully, the movie would be a gigantic turd without him, but he definitely has had better performances that deserved recognition (Serpico, The Godfather, Dog Day Afternoon - hell, I even thought he was better in Insomnia). A clear case of "Let's reward the guy now since we've ignored him his whole career".

- William Hurt getting nominated for A History of Violence. Now that I've seen the movie again recently, I can call his glorified cameo an overacting mess (Funny, though).

- Tom Hanks in Philadelphia. Ok, a very good performance; I just think Denzel Washington deserved equal or more recognition for what he did in that movie. On that note, I think Hanks deserved it more for Cast Away; not many actors can be by themselves on screen for more than an hour and still manage to hold your interest.

- Ellen Burstyn deserved it, hands down, over Julia Roberts.

Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:25 pm
neco82 wrote:
- Ellen Burstyn deserved it, hands down, over Julia Roberts.

This is a great example of how The Academy likes to work it. Julia could have turned in a performance that was nothing but her sitting on a toilet for two hours and would have won -- it was Her Time. It's the Pretty Pretty Dresses method of picking the winner. They've got it down.

Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:25 pm
Producer

Only doing winners for now. Not nominees.

Undeserving:

Kate Winslet in The Reader
Penelope Cruz in Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Jennifer Hudson in Dreamgirls
Cate Blanchett in The Aviator
Renee Zellweger in Cold Mountain
Judi Dench in Shakespeare in Love
Frances McDormand in Fargo

Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:46 pm
Director

It's eleven plus years too late, but L.A. Confidental should have won best picture not the overrated(thought it's good)Titanic.

Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:51 pm
Profile YIM
Most Deserving: Lead Male
1. Nicholson in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
2. Deniro in Raging Bull
3. Brando in The Godfather
4. Daniel Day Lewis in There Will be Blood
5. Gregory Peck-To Kill a Mockingbird
Least Deserving: Lead Male
1. Al Pacino-Scent of a Woman
2. Roberto Begnigni-Life is Beautiful
3. Rex Harrison-My Fair Lady
4. Paul Newman-The Color of Money
5. Jack Nicholson-As Good as it Gets
Most Deserving: Male Supporting
1. George Kennedy-Cool Hand Luke
2. Deniro-Godfather II
3. Denzel Washington-Glory
4. Heath Ledger-The Dark Knight
5. Joe Pesci-Goodfellas
Was nominated but should've won: Male
1. William H. Macy-Fargo
2. Samuel L. Jackson-Pulp Fiction
3. Ralph Fiennes -Schidler's List
4. Orson Welles-Citizen Kane
5. Humphery Bogart-Casablanca
6. Paul Newman-The Hustler
7. Peter Sellers-Dr. Strangelove
8. Robert Downey Jr.-Chaplin
9. Morgan Freeman-Shawshank Redemption
10. Bill Murray-Lost in Translation

Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:34 am
Hi,
Most Deserving:
Tom Hanks, Best Actor for for 'Forrest Gump' - For nailing the tricky serio-comic role. A perfect performance.
Least Deserving:
Linda Blair, Best Supporting Actress for 'The Exorcist' - Good film.
Thanks,
--------
Andrew
Movies World

Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:54 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next