Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:25 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Best Picture 2009 Nominated Movies 
Post Re: Best Picture 2009 Nominated Movies
I was more surprised that Frost/Nixon got nominated.

I want Milk to win, but if Slumdog Millionaire wins, I wouldn't have problem with that. In terms of the best picture categories would be:
First Choice: Milk
2nd Choice: CCoBB
3rd Choice: Slumdog Millionaire
4th Choice: The Reader
5th Choice: Frost/Nixon

Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:05 pm
I loved, loved, loved Slumdog Millionaire. Just more brilliance from Danny Boyle, my favorite current filmmaker.

Button was good, but I just couldn't get the possible pitch meeting out of my head: "Ok, it's based on a famous short story, think Forrest Gump meets Titanic!" A lot of schmaltz and outside of his mother, I didn't really get sucked into the movie. Not like I did with Gump.

Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:10 am
I just watched Slumdog Millionaire for the first time today and found it to be among Danny Boyle's best; very touching. Although my own favorite movie of 2008 was not nominated, I can easily be happy with this taking home the big prize tomorrow night.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:17 pm
I think that Slumdog will win these year though I do not consider it an all time film. I thoroughly enjoyed it and though and would pick it this year particularly because of it's feel good theme(which by the way I never thought I would say but this movie just grabbed me like I think it did quite a few others, particularly in these uneasy social and economic times).

I loved Milk. I would say this is the second best nominated film. Sean Penn was great and the story was not only interesting but personally I'd say important as well.

The Reader was good. That's right, I'm going to say something good about it. It's funny that it has become this year's Oscar punching bag. Yes, I would've picked The Dark Knight over it too but you can't fault the movie for that. Winslet was her usual solid self. I really enjoyed and would've like to see more of the young man's story of his struggles throughout his life with is decision. That would've given the story more depth.

Frost/Nixon was incredibly engrossing. It was a good adaptation of the stage production and in any other year we would've heard more buzz for Frank Langella.

Button is the one that challenges me here. Upon watching it I enjoyed it but left feeling a little hollow. I just felt like the end was a little rushed and I wasn't as impressed with Henson as most people in this. Of the five movies here, I would put this no higher than fourth.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:41 pm
I was actively rooting for Slumdog Millionaire on Oscar night. I saw three films that I thought were head and shoulders above the others in 2008, and The Dark Knight and Wall-E weren't up for best picture. It involved me emotionally in a way none of the other nominees did. Also, I admired the storytelling, flashing back and forward, which engaged without confusing -- no small trick.

I found Frost/Nixon totally engrossing, and agree with the previous post that Langella's work deserved more praise. He captured the appeal and frustration of Nixon in a way that Anthony Hopkins didn't quite in his nominated Nixon performance.

I appreciated Milk more on the second viewing. Van Sant really captured an era in a way I appreciated more the second time. I don't think the film showed me Harvey Milk as well as the Oscar winning documentary The Times of Harvey Milk did, which was probably the source of some of my disappointment.

I admired Benjamin Button on a technical level, but on an emotional level it didn't capture me. I also thought the third act had some sizable storytelling problems which undermined the effectiveness of the ending.

The Reader is so self-important yet offers me nothing. How many shots of Ralph Fiennes thinking were there? Mr. Daldry, there is this thing called pacing. Please learn it before I have to suffer through another one of your overrated boring films.

Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:15 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2