Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:57 pm

May 03, 2009: "1984" 
Post Re: May 03, 2009: "1984"
Unke wrote:
James Berardinelli wrote:
Unke wrote:
Er, Ryan, I don't want to be a smartass, but Paris, Texas is anything but obscure - it won the Cannes Festival's Golden Palm and is Wim Wender's most famous film. But it certainly isn't a popular hit and more of an arthouse classic.

Winning the Golden Palm doesn't mean a whole lot in North America, and even worldwide it only has meaning in cineaste circles. Can you name the last three winners? (I can't, at least not without consulting a reference.)

Also, PARIS, TEXAS is not Wenders' most "famous" film. That honor would go to WINGS OF DESIRE.

Okay, I might have misunderstood the meaning of the word "obscure". The corresponding German word "obskur" means something like "deliberately hidden from view", "dodgy", "suspicious" etc. In the context of movies, I would use the word for something which must be ordered from a hard-to-get video store.

So apologies if I caused any offence.

As with all award-winning films, my memory stretches back only to the last winner. I don't remember the winner of last year's Oscars, for instance. At the last Cannes festival, it was a French film, which was called something like "the school class" (In German: "Die Klasse", don't know the English or French title).

"Wings of Desire" is better known than "Paris, Texas"? I'm surprised!

Maybe that's the case in Germany, but in America it's Wings of Desire! Or maybe Until The End of the World if only for it's backstage stories.

Mon May 04, 2009 12:50 pm
Site Admin

Unke wrote:
Okay, I might have misunderstood the meaning of the word "obscure". The corresponding German word "obskur" means something like "deliberately hidden from view", "dodgy", "suspicious" etc. In the context of movies, I would use the word for something which must be ordered from a hard-to-get video store.

So apologies if I caused any offence.

As with all award-winning films, my memory stretches back only to the last winner. I don't remember the winner of last year's Oscars, for instance. At the last Cannes festival, it was a French film, which was called something like "the school class" (In German: "Die Klasse", don't know the English or French title).

In the United States, PARIS, TEXAS is not readily available. You'd have to get it from a store that carries virtually everything (like amazon.com). Understandably, it's probably easier to get in Germany.

Likewise, in North America, WINGS OF DESIRE is considerably better known than PARIS, TEXAS. It may be different in Germany.

Mon May 04, 2009 12:54 pm
Profile WWW
Patrick wrote:
Unke wrote:
Also, PARIS, TEXAS is not Wenders' most "famous" film. That honor would go to WINGS OF DESIRE.

Maybe that's the case in Germany, but in America it's Wings of Desire! Or maybe Until The End of the World if only for it's backstage stories.

In the United States, PARIS, TEXAS is not readily available. You'd have to get it from a store that carries virtually everything (like amazon.com). Understandably, it's probably easier to get in Germany.

Likewise, in North America, WINGS OF DESIRE is considerably better known than PARIS, TEXAS. It may be different in Germany.

I thought that "Paris, Texas" would be better known internationally, because it is set in America and Wings of Desire has a German cast (Peter Falk aside). Well, my guess was wrong. "Wings of Desire" and "Paris, Texas" are probably equally well-known in Germany. To people who are interested in cinema rather than to the general public, that is - Wim Wender's most popular success was probably the soundtrack to Buena Vista Social Club. ;)

Mon May 04, 2009 1:12 pm
Finally, for those who can't wait, here are a few of the titles: The Terminator, Wall Street, Back to the Future, The Shining, Ghostbusters, First Blood, Risky Business, The Sure Thing, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Robocop, Top Gun, The Dead Pool. There are more, of course, but that's a sampling. So sit back and get ready for a little time travel. There are plenty of reasons to revile the '80s and even more to lampoon that era. But, for many of my age, when viewed through the sepia-tinted glasses of nostalgia, it's hard not to regard the '80s with a modicum of affection.

Liar!

Mon May 04, 2009 4:23 pm
ShrunkenHead wrote:
Funny, in the indroduction to this 80s retrospective, Ghostbusters was originally one of the reviews he was going to do. I wonder what made him change his mind.

I started re-watching it, fell asleep, and didn't feel like rewinding it and re-watching the parts I slept through. I wasn't a big fan when it came out and I was even less of a fan when slogging through it again. It simply does not work for me.

Ouch.

A shame, really. The Ghostbusters films are some of my childhood favorites (the sequel being the first film I saw in a movie theater).

Mon May 04, 2009 5:42 pm
Huh, who would have thought my lack of knowledge of the films of Wim Wenders (who's "Wings of Desire" is the only film that I know him of, somewhat ironically) would spark such a debate! My definition of "obscure" in this case was talking about arthouse, independent films that were not the box office hits of the year. James seems to be using this series to review the biggies, the hits and the Oscar winners, if I'm correct.

Well, even though we're missing out on a Ghostbusters review, that does mean we're only mere weeks away from the Back to the Future review! :D

Mon May 04, 2009 5:43 pm
Director

Quote:
Huh, who would have thought my lack of knowledge of the films of Wim Wenders (who's "Wings of Desire" is the only film that I know him of, somewhat ironically) would spark such a debate!

I was rather taken aback by your comment as well. Paris, Texas was on many 'best of the decade' lists in the US at the end of the 80s. I think Ebert picked it as the best movie of '83 or '84. Its not obscure by any means.

Quote:
In the United States, PARIS, TEXAS is not readily available.

its on netflix & amazon, where else does it need to be to be considered 'readily available?' I'm pretty sure blockbuster carried it way back when(vhs era) as well.

Mon May 04, 2009 8:10 pm
I'm sorry, but did you just say Ghostbusters is overrated? I'm sorry James but now your messing with one of the pillars of my childhood. This affront to my nostalgia will not stand!

Alright so maybe Ghostbusters is just a tad bit overrated and history has been rather kind to its faults, but its still a decent flick. The dick-less line in the mayor's office is one of my favorite lines of dialogue in film history. Also Bill Murray is fantastic, especially considering that in almost all of his scenes all of his lines are improvised.

Good ReelThoughts, I have been thoroughly enjoying your VideoViews journey through time.

Tue May 05, 2009 1:39 am
Site Admin

Zeppelin wrote:
Finally, for those who can't wait, here are a few of the titles: The Terminator, Wall Street, Back to the Future, The Shining, Ghostbusters, First Blood, Risky Business, The Sure Thing, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Robocop, Top Gun, The Dead Pool. There are more, of course, but that's a sampling. So sit back and get ready for a little time travel. There are plenty of reasons to revile the '80s and even more to lampoon that era. But, for many of my age, when viewed through the sepia-tinted glasses of nostalgia, it's hard not to regard the '80s with a modicum of affection.

Liar!

Also jettisoned: Ferris Bueller, Top Gun, and The Dead Pool. In the case of the first two, they didn't stand up when re-watched. I substituted Sudden Impact for The Dead Pool.

Wall Street, Back to the Future, The Sure Thing, and Robocop will still be there, along with things like The Color of Money, The Mission, Lethal Weapon, Dangerous Liaisons, and The Abyss.

Nothing is official, however, until it's posted. :)

Tue May 05, 2009 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
Zeppelin wrote:

Liar!

Also jettisoned: Ferris Bueller, Top Gun, and The Dead Pool. In the case of the first two, they didn't stand up when re-watched. I substituted Sudden Impact for The Dead Pool.

Wall Street, Back to the Future, The Sure Thing, and Robocop will still be there, along with things like The Color of Money, The Mission, Lethal Weapon, Dangerous Liaisons, and The Abyss.

Nothing is official, however, until it's posted. :)

No Ferris Bueller! I understand Top Gun cause it was made by Bad Tony Scott but Ferris was an awesome teen flick. But at least Robocop still lives.

Tue May 05, 2009 12:23 pm
Great to see "Robocop" and "Wall Street" being reviewed. It would be a shame though if James doesn't review other popular 1987 movies like "Predator", "Fatal Attraction" and "Full Metal Jacket".

Tue May 05, 2009 12:28 pm
Unke wrote:

:shock:

What stuff do you read?!

P.S., on 'The Mission' - James, I'm surprised to see you willingly watching a Roland Joffe film after 'Captivity' :) I'm glad The Dead Pool was nixed, though. No offense to anyone, but I never saw what was so amazing about the Dirty Harry series.

Tue May 05, 2009 3:58 pm
Unke wrote:

Well keep in mind, Wings Of Desire was remade here as City Of Angels, which kinda gives it an advantage when it comes to the popularity contest...

calvero wrote:
Quote:
In the United States, PARIS, TEXAS is not readily available.

its on netflix & amazon, where else does it need to be to be considered 'readily available?' I'm pretty sure blockbuster carried it way back when(vhs era) as well.

It's OOP in the US at the moment (that won't last for long though; Criterion is going to release new versions of some Wenders films this year, including Paris, Texas and Wings Of Desire), therefore not really "readily available".

Wed May 06, 2009 12:19 pm
1987 better see a Full Metal Jacket review!

Wed May 06, 2009 5:19 pm
MTRodaba2468 wrote:
It's OOP in the US at the moment (that won't last for long though; Criterion is going to release new versions of some Wenders films this year, including Paris, Texas and Wings Of Desire), therefore not really "readily available".

1. It's out of print? *checks Amazon* Wow, you're right. I guess I was taken aback because my friend has a copy. So does Netflix.

2. Where'd you hear about the Criterion Collection doing that? I'm not doubting you, but I never heard anything. :O

Thu May 07, 2009 10:27 pm
No Ferris Bueller? I have to watch it again, but the first time I watched it (sometimes September 2008) I thought it's going to be one of my new favorite movies when I need something cheerful to watch. I would easily give it ***.

PS. No more Starman now too?

Fri May 08, 2009 3:43 pm
Pedro wrote:
Where'd you hear about the Criterion Collection doing that? I'm not doubting you, but I never heard anything. :O

The "clue" that Criterion puts in their monthly newsletters for January was referring to Wings Of Desire. There was apparently more confirmation on various Criterion-based message boards that other Wenders films, including Paris, Texas, were also getting planned Criterion releases...

Mon May 11, 2009 12:40 pm