It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:00 pm

May 03, 2009: "1984" 
Site Admin

Post May 03, 2009: "1984"
Click here to read topic.

Sun May 03, 2009 8:30 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: May 03, 2009: "1984"
I'm surprised James thinks "Ghostbusters" is hugely overrated. Why do you believe this to be true, James?

Would be nice to find out his opinion on some of the other movies he saw in 1984 like Beverly Hills Cop, Gremlins, Starman, etc.

Sun May 03, 2009 9:17 pm
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on Ghostbusters.

ck100 wrote:
Would be nice to find out his opinion on some of the other movies he saw in 1984 like Beverly Hills Cop, Gremlins, Starman, etc.

I was thinking that myself. He stated in his RT that he thought Starman was, at the time, second to only The Terminator.

Since he's said that there were movies that he rewatched as part of this exercise that he ended up not liking (as much, anyway) in retrospect, maybe that was the case with Gremlins and Starman (kind of a shame, I love both those movies).

Sun May 03, 2009 9:22 pm
Plus, based on the home page, he is doing a T2 review, which will probably make up for the lack of reviews for this year.

Sun May 03, 2009 9:23 pm
MTRodaba2468 wrote:
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on Ghostbusters.

ck100 wrote:

I was thinking that myself. He stated in his RT that he thought Starman was, at the time, second to only The Terminator.

Since he's said that there were movies that he rewatched as part of this exercise that he ended up not liking (as much, anyway) in retrospect, maybe that was the case with Gremlins and Starman (kind of a shame, I love both those movies).

Yeah, when he said that he considered 1984 to be one of the stronger years in films, I thought that he'd post several reviews. For example, where is The Killing Fields or even The Karate Kid in addition to the other aforementioned films? He said that he considered 1983 to be a weak year in film but so far, I think he has more reviews from that year than from the other years in his series thus far.

Last edited by oafolay on Sun May 03, 2009 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 03, 2009 9:25 pm
It's kind of amusing in retrospect to think that the Gremlins concept originated in the mind of Chris Columbus, who's better known for family fare these days.

Sun May 03, 2009 9:32 pm
ShrunkenHead wrote:
It's kind of amusing in retrospect to think that the Gremlins concept originated in the mind of Chris Columbus, who's better known for family fare these days.

Wasn't Gremlins considered a family feature back in the day, especially considering the involvement of Speilberg as one of the producers?

Sun May 03, 2009 9:39 pm
oafolay wrote:
ShrunkenHead wrote:

Wasn't Gremlins considered a family feature back in the day, especially considering the involvement of Speilberg as one of the producers?

Spielberg and director Joe Dante certainly made the film more family friendly (reportedly, the original script was even darker), yet the film, along with Temple of Doom, was still intense enough to inspire the creation of the PG-13 rating.

Sun May 03, 2009 9:43 pm
I too would like to hear James’ opinion of Gremlins.

Sun May 03, 2009 10:53 pm
Huh. I was really hoping for a Ghostbusters review, even if it would be negative like implied.

I'll also join in with people wondering about his opinion on Gremlins.

Mon May 04, 2009 12:29 am
Funny, in the indroduction to this 80s retrospective, Ghostbusters was originally one of the reviews he was going to do. I wonder what made him change his mind.

Mon May 04, 2009 12:40 am
Grrr

I wanted to hear James thoughts on

Paris Texas - Wim Wenders
Once Upon A Time In America - Segio Leone
Love Streams - John Cassavetes
Stranger Than Paradise - Jim Jarmusch

Rob

Mon May 04, 2009 1:04 am
Compliments to the chef

I loved reading your post about Mondale, Star Trek, girls and movie going - great stuff!

Rob

Mon May 04, 2009 1:05 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Grrr

Rob

As fun as it would be hearing about his opinion on obscure 80's films (I've never heard of "Paris, Texas" though), I think the point of this series is to review popular hits of the 80's.

Mon May 04, 2009 1:07 am
Ryan wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Grrr

Rob

As fun as it would be hearing about his opinion on obscure 80's films (I've never heard of "Paris, Texas" though), I think the point of this series is to review popular hits of the 80's.

Er, Ryan, I don't want to be a smartass, but Paris, Texas is anything but obscure - it won the Cannes Festival's Golden Palm and is Wim Wender's most famous film. But it certainly isn't a popular hit and more of an arthouse classic.

I would've loved to read reviews of The Killing Fields and Once upon a time in America as well. The latter is one of my all-time favourites.

Mon May 04, 2009 5:01 am
Site Admin

MTRodaba2468 wrote:
Plus, based on the home page, he is doing a T2 review, which will probably make up for the lack of reviews for this year.

I was originally going to review STARMAN but swapped it out for T2, which makes more sense in the overall scheme of things (with T4 coming out).

There will be four 1985 movies.

Mon May 04, 2009 12:15 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

ShrunkenHead wrote:
Funny, in the indroduction to this 80s retrospective, Ghostbusters was originally one of the reviews he was going to do. I wonder what made him change his mind.

I started re-watching it, fell asleep, and didn't feel like rewinding it and re-watching the parts I slept through. I wasn't a big fan when it came out and I was even less of a fan when slogging through it again. It simply does not work for me.

Mon May 04, 2009 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Unke wrote:
Er, Ryan, I don't want to be a smartass, but Paris, Texas is anything but obscure - it won the Cannes Festival's Golden Palm and is Wim Wender's most famous film. But it certainly isn't a popular hit and more of an arthouse classic.

Winning the Golden Palm doesn't mean a whole lot in North America, and even worldwide it only has meaning in cineaste circles. Can you name the last three winners? (I can't, at least not without consulting a reference.)

Also, PARIS, TEXAS is not Wenders' most "famous" film. That honor would go to WINGS OF DESIRE.

Mon May 04, 2009 12:23 pm
Profile WWW
Another 1984 film that I would've expected to see James review would be Places in the Heart. I would if he would consider adding more reviews to this year as there were a lot of potentially intriguing titles.

Mon May 04, 2009 12:34 pm
James Berardinelli wrote:
Unke wrote:

Winning the Golden Palm doesn't mean a whole lot in North America, and even worldwide it only has meaning in cineaste circles. Can you name the last three winners? (I can't, at least not without consulting a reference.)

Also, PARIS, TEXAS is not Wenders' most "famous" film. That honor would go to WINGS OF DESIRE.

Okay, I might have misunderstood the meaning of the word "obscure". The corresponding German word "obskur" means something like "deliberately hidden from view", "dodgy", "suspicious" etc. In the context of movies, I would use the word for something which must be ordered from a hard-to-get video store.

So apologies if I caused any offence.

As with all award-winning films, my memory stretches back only to the last winner. I don't remember the winner of last year's Oscars, for instance. At the last Cannes festival, it was a French film, which was called something like "the school class" (In German: "Die Klasse", don't know the English or French title).

"Wings of Desire" is better known than "Paris, Texas"? I'm surprised!

Mon May 04, 2009 12:48 pm