It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:50 am

April 30, 2009: "Confessions of a Lapsed Trekkie (Part 3)" 
Site Admin

Post April 30, 2009: "Confessions of a Lapsed Trekkie (Part 3)"
Click here to read topic.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:29 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: April 30, 2009: "Confessions of a Lapsed Trekkie (Part 3)"
You never saw Enterprise? Wow, lucky you. Your decision to skip it was a smart move. I watched the first ten or twelve episodes, quit watching and saw two from season two and then decided not to waste my time with it anymore. It wasn't even fun on a "so bad it's good" level that Voyager was able to accomplish. Enterprise is just plain bad TV. I read once that one of the executive producers for the show complained that Enterprise wasn't a huge success because it had to compete with Battlestar Galactica. I think that's nonsense because if Enterprise was actually a great show or even a good show, we would have watched both Enterprise and BSG.

I just wonder at this point whether 4 years of no new Trek will really be enough of a break to get people excited about the new movie. Sure, I get really up for every season of baseball and when you're a Pirates fan it's usually the same thing over and over and over again, but the chance that this could be the year they finally turn things around gets me excited. As a Steeler fan though, it's hard to get excited about new seasons when your team won two of the last four Super Bowls. Maybe that's what will make the new Trek an "event movie". After over a decade of bad Trek (Voyager, Enterprise, Insurrection, Nemesis), this will be the movie that will turn things around and get people to like Star Trek again. On the other hand, it could be bad and it'll just be proof that Star Trek has run it's course and it's time to move on.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:41 pm
As the saying goes, eventually one becomes a man and puts
away childish things. Though I have fond memories of the early
days of "Star Trek," I can't say that I've watched an episode
in years. Haven't paid attention to the movies in years, as I tend
to prefer much darker entertainment. I don't have very high hopes
for the new one, seeing as it's coming from the guy who gave us
the much ballyhooed and thus overhyped "Cloverfield," which was
fun enough, but also relatively forgettable, and I'm not terribly
encouraged by whispers of "Star Trek 90210."

I'm thinking "Terminator: Salvation" is going to be the winner.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:22 pm
I didn't follow Trek following TNG. Maybe saw a couple of episodes of DS9, but didn't bother to go on with it. Never gave Voyager a look and didn't bother with Enterprise. I did hear a lot of people didn't like the last episode of Enterprise since it felt like TNG was stealing its thunder. If you've seen the episode you know what I'm talking about. Seems to me a lot of the later Trek shows lost what Trek was all about in the first place. More about style over substance and about snagging ratings than creating a good show.

Anyway, so far it seems this new Trek movie is getting positive marks. The consensus so far is that while no masterpiece the movie does help restore the Trek name. We'll see pretty soon if Star Trek will continue or bury itself once again.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:52 pm
Second Unit Director

JB makes an interesting point: that the TNG TV series stole some of the thunder away from the movies, starting with ST5. All I remember was thinking how awful ST5 was. It was so bad (IMO) that it not only destroyed my enthusiasm for all the later movies, but also made me reconsider my positive views about the earlier movies as well, especially ST3 and ST4.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:25 pm
Quote:
I penned a short "review" of the episode. It was a personal tribute. No one has read any of those Star Trek mini-reviews except me.

We want to read them ;)

Fri May 01, 2009 12:43 pm
jksander wrote:
Quote:
I penned a short "review" of the episode. It was a personal tribute. No one has read any of those Star Trek mini-reviews except me.

We want to read them ;)

What about Sheryl? Has she read them?

Fri May 01, 2009 2:02 pm
loved all three reelthoughts. nice reads.

Patrick wrote:
jksander wrote:
Quote:

We want to read them ;)

i think when a guy says "No one has read any of those reviews except me. " its pretty much certain he's the only one.

would certainly be interested in reading them though. but i think there's little chance we'll get an opportunity to.

Fri May 01, 2009 2:11 pm
I agree, but hey ... he mentioned them, so he had to know we'd want to read them ... especially knowing he'd held onto them for so many years WITHOUT letting anyone.

Fri May 01, 2009 5:08 pm
So...has James actually seen "Star Trek" yet?

The suspense is killing me.

Sat May 02, 2009 1:14 am
He either saw a screening last night or is seeing one today. The review's due today.

Sat May 02, 2009 10:54 am
I've heard positive things about it so far, but they're written by critics with whom I'm unfamiliar, so I have no idea of what their tastes are. Given the background James has, his review is the one I'm waiting for.

Sat May 02, 2009 12:50 pm
Site Admin

Patrick wrote:
jksander wrote:
Quote:

We want to read them ;)

She has not. They're not hidden from her (in fact, they're in a binder on a book shelf not five feet from where I'm sitting), but she doesn't have any interest.

Sat May 02, 2009 9:01 pm
Profile WWW
Jim,

Out of curiosity, which Star Trek movies do you own on VHS/DVD? I think it's safe to assume you own "Wrath of Khan" since it was part of your top 100 list (or at least was an honorable mention).

Also, what are your favorite episodes from "Star Trek" and "The Next Generation?

Sun May 03, 2009 2:36 pm