Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:09 am

April 27, 2009: "Confessions of a Lapsed Trekkie (Part 2)" 
Post Re: April 27, 2009: "Confessions of a Lapsed Trekkie (Part 2)"
I'll never understand the dislike towards Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Sure, some things about it don't make sense. But some of the ideas are interesting. In later viewings, I've enjoyed it more. Star Trek IV wasn't nearly as good for me. I like it, but so does my mom. Its her favorite. What fun is that? Give me Wrath of Khan. Heck, I now think that V is a great one. The ideas there are fantastic, or were the last time I saw it. It has flaws, but so what? I think its highly underrated.

I didn't get really into Star Trek until a few years into Star Trek TNG. I'm definitely a fan of TNG, but I also enjoyed the other series. However, I watched each less than the other. DS9 was good, and I saw most of it. Voyager was okay, and I saw about a 1/5th of it. Enterprise was fine, but I no longer was watching much TV so I caught only a few episodes.

I wonder if I'd enjoy getting these series on DVD and rewatching. I don't need to rewatch TNG. Pretty sure I've seen every episode at least once. I used to rewatch them alongside my Nitpickers Guide. What a waste of a book. Okay not a total waste. It was fun at times.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:33 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: April 27, 2009: "Confessions of a Lapsed Trekkie (Part 2)"
James Berardinelli wrote:
STTMP: Siskel thumbs down; Ebert thumbs up
ST2: Both thumbs up
ST3: Both thumbs up
ST4: Both thumbs up
ST5: Both thumbs down
ST6: Both thumbs up

Ebert always admitted to being a "Star Trek fan" (meaning he had watched episodes on TV, not that he was a "Trekkie"). Siskel admitted never to having seen a TV episode.

That looks about right. Regardless of the thumbs, I seem to remember both Siskel and Ebert saying that ST4 was their favorite. I always thought that Siskel had less enthusiasm in general for genre films than Ebert; it seemed to be rare when Siskel really liked one.

But I admit my memories are 25 years old now, and subject to distortion.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:13 pm