Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:58 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
April 27, 2009: "Confessions of a Lapsed Trekkie (Part 2)" 
Author Message
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3111
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post April 27, 2009: "Confessions of a Lapsed Trekkie (Part 2)"
Click here to read topic.


Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1439
Post Re: April 27: "Confessions of a Lapsed Trekkie (Part 2)"
Quote:
Not until Marley and Me, did I again experience a movie in which so many people were moved to tears.


how about Schindler's List or Titanic? it seemed like everyone was crying when I saw those.


Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:55 pm
Profile
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3111
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: April 27: "Confessions of a Lapsed Trekkie (Part 2)"
calvero wrote:
Quote:
Not until Marley and Me, did I again experience a movie in which so many people were moved to tears.


how about Schindler's List or Titanic? it seemed like everyone was crying when I saw those.


I remember some tears during SCHINDLER'S LIST and TITANIC, but nothing like MARLEY AND ME. Never seen anything like that.


Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:06 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: April 27: "Confessions of a Lapsed Trekkie (Part 2)"
James Berardinelli wrote:
calvero wrote:
Quote:
Not until Marley and Me, did I again experience a movie in which so many people were moved to tears.


how about Schindler's List or Titanic? it seemed like everyone was crying when I saw those.


I remember some tears during SCHINDLER'S LIST and TITANIC, but nothing like MARLEY AND ME. Never seen anything like that.


I can't tell if that's a good thing...or a bad thing....


Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:19 pm
Post Re: April 27, 2009: "Confessions of a Lapsed Trekkie (Part 2)"
Mr. B, I'm totally with you. A couple of years ago, I caught STII on tv late at night, and of course I was totally sucked into it. And although that must've been at least the fifth time I've seen the movie, tears were streaming from my eyes at the end. That scene between radioactive Spock behind the glass and Kirk outside, looking in -- it's bromance at its finest.

Really enjoyed this piece, by the way. I didn't get into Trek until 1989, so I missed watching II and III and IV in the theater, but like you, I ended up recording all the TOS episodes on VCR. My Tholian Web was Return to Tomorrow, and a great friend from high school knew this and bought me a retail copy as a surprise present. I still have all of those tapes in the basement!


Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:37 pm
Post Re: April 27: "Confessions of a Lapsed Trekkie (Part 2)"
calvero wrote:
Quote:
Not until Marley and Me, did I again experience a movie in which so many people were moved to tears.


how about Schindler's List or Titanic? it seemed like everyone was crying when I saw those.


I remember people staying through the end credits of "Saving Private Ryan" because they were so moved by it.


Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:51 pm
Post Re: April 27, 2009: "Confessions of a Lapsed Trekkie (Part 2)"
For those who saw "Star Trek III" in theaters:

What was the crowd reaction when Spock appeared on screen at the end? How did people react to the Enterprise being destroyed?

One of my favorite moments from the series is when Spock talks to Kirk at the end and says "Jim. Your name is Jim." Just something about that moment makes it really poignant. You also have to love how Spock raises his eyebrow, the music becomes upbeat, and then the sun comes over the mountains on Vulcan and says "And the adventure continues....."

People always remember this movie for the Enterprise being destroyed. I'm sure a lot of fans were probably sad to see their favorite spaceship of 20+ years exploding in space.


Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:56 pm
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:52 pm
Posts: 271
Location: North Carolina
Post Re: April 27, 2009: "Confessions of a Lapsed Trekkie (Part 2)"
ck100 wrote:
For those who saw "Star Trek III" in theaters:

What was the crowd reaction when Spock appeared on screen at the end? How did people react to the Enterprise being destroyed?


I remember it well: there was loud applause when Nimoy first appeared. Of course, it was not exactly a surprise: everyone knew that Nimoy would show up eventually, it was just a matter of when.

I thought that the destruction of the Enterprise was even sadder than Spock's "death" in ST II (especially since the way they sent his body to the Genesis planet made it pretty obvious they were setting up Spock's eventual rebirth). I've always been very critical of the decision to blow up the Enterprise in ST III. Not only did we lose a beloved character from the series, but it meant that we would never again be quite so attached to the subsequent models of the ship in later movies. Seems like every other movie they were destroying (or threatening to destroy) another version of the Enterprise, and eventually I just didn't care.


Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:10 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:52 pm
Posts: 271
Location: North Carolina
Post Re: April 27, 2009: "Confessions of a Lapsed Trekkie (Part 2)"
I'm in the minority of fans who actually enjoyed the first ST movie. I could see what Robert Wise was trying to do: inject some awe and wonder into the first big screen version of ST. Of course, it desperately needed an editor who could cut at least 20 minutes out of that final product. Though flawed, and certainly not nearly as good as The Wrath of Khan, ST:TMP represented an honest attempt to go beyond the boundaries of a weekly episode and make a genuine big screen film. Later sequels, including ST's III and IV, seemed more like extended episodes than true big screen movies.

I remember that ST IV got by far the best mainstream reviews of any of the ST movies. Even Siskel and Ebert, who had been divided about the first three movies, were highly enthusiastic about ST IV, especially its sense of humor. It's interesting today, because ST IV has not aged well, IMO. Its story and humor seem lame today. Of course, no one could foresee the depths that ST V would bring (but that will be in the next installment, I assume).


Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:28 pm
Profile
Post Re: April 27, 2009: "Confessions of a Lapsed Trekkie (Part 2)"
I'm an oddball Trek fan I guess. A few years older than James, my story is nonetheless similar to his, insofar as TOS reruns were concerned. I was hooked when I was 11 1/2, watching Changeling on my grandmother's black & white after my grandfather's funeral; the series' themes strongly resonated with my idealistic side. Like James there were a few eps which I kept missing, tho eventually by c. 1979 I got to watch them all (tho at this late date their identities escape me). However, after reading the lukewarm reviews that Movie #1 got, plus the feeling I got from the buildup before the premiere that it was all a pure cash cow, and, being a 17 year-old in the throes of a very cynical mindset at the time, I just basically had no interest in the film and didn't go see it. Nor did I go see II or III (by those dates there were other...extenuating circumstances in my life and I'll leave it at that)-heck even my sister, hardly a Trek fan, saw II and III in the theates. I finally caught IV during its first run, and loved it. In all tho TOS-cast films in retrospect are very much a mixed bag and overall as a whole somewhat disappointing. My "cash cow" suspicions had a germ of truth in them, as I feel they had to dumb down most of the plots to make them palatable to mass audiences.

I eventually warmed up some to TNG after a season or two, tho it is 3rd on my hierarchy behind TOS and DS9, the latter a series which actually had the gumption to inject some real depth and intrigue into the proceedings. I still will go out of my way on occasion to catch reruns of the various eps, Voyager & Enterprise mostly excepted (and at some point once I have the wherewithal I'll likely spring for the DS9 series discs because I can't bear to catch occasional eps here and there aired out of order).


Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:21 am
Post Re: April 27, 2009: "Confessions of a Lapsed Trekkie (Part 2)"
TWOK was, and (so far) still is the best of the Trek movies. And it's not because of epic space battles or action sequences or even melodrama: It's about the characters; specifically how they interact.

The perfect example of this is one of the final scenes. Earlier in the film, Kirk had been given birthday presents from Spock and McCoy. Spock gave Kirk a book and McCoy gave him glasses. This symbolizes that Spock's cold logic gives Kirk knowledge, while McCoy's fiery emotions give Kirk vision. And at the end of the film, Kirk tries to read Spock's book with McCoy's glasses, but they were broken in the fray. This wonderfully symbolizes that without vision, knowledge is useless, and without his friends, Kirk is broken.

This film not only works in terms of the Trek universe but also as a truly great movie. The fact that it has not appeared on any of the AFI's lists (it was nominated for best science fiction film in the Ten Top Ten, but didn't make the final cut) is appalling.


Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:23 am
Post Re: April 27, 2009: "Confessions of a Lapsed Trekkie (Part 2)"
Go rewatch the ST:TNG Promo video, and at 38 seconds, listen to the announcer say "Security Officer Yar, and Jordie, a man with unique vision."

His delivery is hilarious!

A member of The Old Guard...


Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:37 am
Post Re: April 27, 2009: "Confessions of a Lapsed Trekkie (Part 2)"
Perhaps it comes down to age after all.

I enjoy TNG much more than TOS. :D


Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:25 am
Post Re: April 27, 2009: "Confessions of a Lapsed Trekkie (Part 2)"
Great article.

I'm of "The New Guard," with The Search for Spock being my first Star Trek movie experience in the theater. I watched The Next Generation from beginning to end on TV and loved it; I consider First Contact to be its movie high point, and Nemesis to be its movie low point. For some reason Deep Space Nine didn't interest me very much at the time of its original run. I stuck with Voyager through the first season, but it just wasn't my thing. Enterprise didn't hold my attention past the first few episodes.

Over the past few years, however, I've had the opportunity to watch every Deep Space Nine episode in order on DVD. It is now easily my favorite of the three Star Trek series I've seen in their entirety (TOS, TNG, and DS9). The first two seasons are rough in spots as the show finds its feet, but from the third season on I consider it to be among the best of Trek. The characters are many and their development is exceptional; Sisko went from being my least favorite of the Trek captains to my favorite. It's a complex show that, in my opinion, best showcases the possibilities of Trek, and one that I would strongly recommend to folks who may have passed it over initially.

Still and all, I'm really looking forward to the new movie, as well as the next article!


Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:31 pm
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3111
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: April 27, 2009: "Confessions of a Lapsed Trekkie (Part 2)"
ck100 wrote:
For those who saw "Star Trek III" in theaters:

What was the crowd reaction when Spock appeared on screen at the end? How did people react to the Enterprise being destroyed?


I used to have it on audiotape, so I remember the reaction quite well. :)

No reaction to Nimoy's first appearance, although I would have expected applause. I guess it was a more sedate audience. Kind of a stunned silence when the ENTERPRISE was destroyed.

One thing I remember clearly from the tape: After David is killed, Kirk stumbles back and ends up on the floor. The little girl a couple of rows behind me shouted, "He missed his chair!" I listened to the soundtrack of that movie so many times on tape that when I watch the film I keep expecting to hear that line.


Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:45 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3111
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: April 27, 2009: "Confessions of a Lapsed Trekkie (Part 2)"
slksc wrote:
I remember that ST IV got by far the best mainstream reviews of any of the ST movies. Even Siskel and Ebert, who had been divided about the first three movies, were highly enthusiastic about ST IV, especially its sense of humor. It's interesting today, because ST IV has not aged well, IMO. Its story and humor seem lame today. Of course, no one could foresee the depths that ST V would bring (but that will be in the next installment, I assume).


STTMP: Siskel thumbs down; Ebert thumbs up
ST2: Both thumbs up
ST3: Both thumbs up
ST4: Both thumbs up
ST5: Both thumbs down
ST6: Both thumbs up

I'm 100% sure about 1-4, since I had the reviews audio recorded. Pretty sure about 5&6 but not 100% - I did not have them recorded (but I think they may be available on-line).

Ebert always admitted to being a "Star Trek fan" (meaning he had watched episodes on TV, not that he was a "Trekkie"). Siskel admitted never to having seen a TV episode.


Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:50 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: April 27, 2009: "Confessions of a Lapsed Trekkie (Part 2)"
James Berardinelli wrote:
slksc wrote:
I remember that ST IV got by far the best mainstream reviews of any of the ST movies. Even Siskel and Ebert, who had been divided about the first three movies, were highly enthusiastic about ST IV, especially its sense of humor. It's interesting today, because ST IV has not aged well, IMO. Its story and humor seem lame today. Of course, no one could foresee the depths that ST V would bring (but that will be in the next installment, I assume).


STTMP: Siskel thumbs down; Ebert thumbs up
ST2: Both thumbs up
ST3: Both thumbs up
ST4: Both thumbs up
ST5: Both thumbs down
ST6: Both thumbs up

I'm 100% sure about 1-4, since I had the reviews audio recorded. Pretty sure about 5&6 but not 100% - I did not have them recorded (but I think they may be available on-line).

Ebert always admitted to being a "Star Trek fan" (meaning he had watched episodes on TV, not that he was a "Trekkie"). Siskel admitted never to having seen a TV episode.


The online archive include reviews starting with IV, and you're correct about V and VI.


Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:09 pm
Post Re: April 27, 2009: "Confessions of a Lapsed Trekkie (Part 2)"
slksc wrote:
I remember that ST IV got by far the best mainstream reviews of any of the ST movies. Even Siskel and Ebert, who had been divided about the first three movies, were highly enthusiastic about ST IV, especially its sense of humor. It's interesting today, because ST IV has not aged well, IMO. Its story and humor seem lame today. Of course, no one could foresee the depths that ST V would bring (but that will be in the next installment, I assume).

I disagree. I'm not a big Star Trek fan in general. I'm a Johnny-Come-Lately according to James' classification.
But I love Star Trek IV. It's one of the few movies I can watch over and over again and enjoy. I think it's hilarious, and it's situatedness in the 80's makes the time travel plot work that much better even now. It's dated, but in the best ways. As the crew travels back to the 1980's, so do we. The film never ceases to make me laugh out loud: "Well, a double dumb-ass on you!"


Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:18 pm
Post Re: April 27, 2009: "Confessions of a Lapsed Trekkie (Part 2)"
Trevor wrote:
slksc wrote:
I remember that ST IV got by far the best mainstream reviews of any of the ST movies. Even Siskel and Ebert, who had been divided about the first three movies, were highly enthusiastic about ST IV, especially its sense of humor. It's interesting today, because ST IV has not aged well, IMO. Its story and humor seem lame today. Of course, no one could foresee the depths that ST V would bring (but that will be in the next installment, I assume).

I disagree. I'm not a big Star Trek fan in general. I'm a Johnny-Come-Lately according to James' classification.
But I love Star Trek IV. It's one of the few movies I can watch over and over again and enjoy. I think it's hilarious, and it's situatedness in the 80's makes the time travel plot work that much better even now. It's dated, but in the best ways. As the crew travels back to the 1980's, so do we. The film never ceases to make me laugh out loud: "Well, a double dumb-ass on you!"


Yeah, I liked Star Trek IV and hell, I like Star Trek III. There not as good as Star Trek II but how do you top that?


Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:27 pm
Post Re: April 27, 2009: "Confessions of a Lapsed Trekkie (Part 2)"
James Berardinelli wrote:
ck100 wrote:
For those who saw "Star Trek III" in theaters:

What was the crowd reaction when Spock appeared on screen at the end? How did people react to the Enterprise being destroyed?


I used to have it on audiotape, so I remember the reaction quite well. :)

No reaction to Nimoy's first appearance, although I would have expected applause. I guess it was a more sedate audience. Kind of a stunned silence when the ENTERPRISE was destroyed.

One thing I remember clearly from the tape: After David is killed, Kirk stumbles back and ends up on the floor. The little girl a couple of rows behind me shouted, "He missed his chair!" I listened to the soundtrack of that movie so many times on tape that when I watch the film I keep expecting to hear that line.


I think I remember reading something on how Shatner missing the chair was some accidental improvisation. Nimoy liked the genuine reaction and decided to leave it in the movie.


Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:27 am
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr