It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:23 am

April 22, 2009: "Confessions of a Lapsed Trekkie (Part 1)" 
Site Admin

Post April 22, 2009: "Confessions of a Lapsed Trekkie (Part 1)"
Click here to read topic.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:14 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: April 22, 2009: "Confessions of a Lapsed Trekkie (Part One)"
Great article - it's a shame that Trekkies have been the butts of fan-obsession jokes over the years (even today - see Fanboys).

Have you ever seen the documentary Trekkies? It's amusing but it's also an unflattering portrait of the fans (who for the most part seem like good people).

Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:30 pm
great article. loved it.

just one random thing James and its got nothing to do with the article: i suggest you use the "article continues after video" text that some news websites use.
over there i find it annoying, but after reading your article i actually see their worth. i only read till the first video and thought that was it.
i don't know, maybe its just idiotic on my part.(i just woke up, not crisp)

also, dinner - 5:30 ? i may be showing my ignorance of american culture, but 5:30? or was/is that an characteristic thing of your family?

Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:41 pm
aameen wrote:
great article. loved it.

just one random thing James and its got nothing to do with the article: i suggest you use the "article continues after video" text that some news websites use.
over there i find it annoying, but after reading your article i actually see their worth. i only read till the first video and thought that was it.
i don't know, maybe its just idiotic on my part.(i just woke up, not crisp)

also, dinner - 5:30 ? i may be showing my ignorance of american culture, but 5:30? or was/is that an characteristic thing of your family?

Yeah, it's pretty much an American thing

Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:17 pm
aameen wrote:

Where are you from, and what time for dinner? That's interesting.

Great article. I am thoroughly looking forward to this series. Since I was born in 1987, I came in late, but I came in fast. I'm gonna call myself "The Next Generation." Although I wasn't watching TNG at age 5-8, I was watching my mom's taped episodes of the original series, and I've loved it ever since.

Side effect: I have an unhealthy knowledge of early 80s TV commercials...

Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:46 am
Jaimie wrote:
aameen wrote:

Where are you from, and what time for dinner? That's interesting.

Great article. I am thoroughly looking forward to this series. Since I was born in 1987, I came in late, but I came in fast. I'm gonna call myself "The Next Generation." Although I wasn't watching TNG at age 5-8, I was watching my mom's taped episodes of the original series, and I've loved it ever since.

Side effect: I have an unhealthy knowledge of early 80s TV commercials...

umm...well, india. the northern regions. and usually, dinner over here is from 8 to 12. some do it as early as 7, but they're, but they're also the one's who count their grapes(very rare).
my family,boring day - around 9. if its an eventful day, 10:30.

PS-i get this hint you were being sarcastic with "that's interesting". still answered the question though, in what i feel is unnecessary detail.

i need caffeine.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:53 am
Seems your early ST experience is somewhat similar to mine, except I didn't make any audio recordings. I'm sure I would have, but it never occurred to me. :D The article was a great read and I can't wait for Part2 to find out when/in what way you became a "lapsed Trekkie" to see if it's also similar. :)

By your definition, I'm "Old Guard." First episode I truly remember seeing was "Doomsday Machine" in the mid-70's when I was around 6-7 (I don't remember exactly). I was sitting on my brothers lap (he's 10 years older) and I recall being very scared and hiding my face at times, lol.

Have you ever heard/seen of the "Nitpickers Guide" Star Trek books? They're really funny.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:59 am
It seems I am New Guard. Sweet. :D

Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:01 am
I guess I fall between Old Guard and New Guard, because I never saw any of the films in the cinema (until Star Trek VI).

I'm also very curious about the next ReelThoughts entry. My "faith" in Star Trek lapsed when I accompanied a friend to a meeting of Star Trek fans. I was never a diehard Trekkie - I think it is (was) a very good TV series, which I used to enjoy very much, but that's about it. The people I met at the meeting had some serious issues, though. When I dared to suggest, that maybe they were taking Star Trek a wee bit too seriously, because, hey, it's just a TV show after all, they got very agitated and started ranting about "Roddenberry's vision" as if there was a coherent underlying philosophy about how to live your life. (This philosophy apparently requires dressing up as an alien in midweek in order to go to a Chinese restaurant and criticise the latest home-made model of a Ferengi starcruiser for its lack of authenticity in the details.) From then on, I didn't want to be associated with the Trekkie-phenomenon any more.

Just noticed that this might be read as an attack on all Trekkies/Trekkers. I was only referring to the people I encounterd at this meeting, who where demonstrating what can only be described as religious fervour. I didn't mean any offence and I respect everybody who is passionate about his or her hobby.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:23 am
Great confession - it transported me to a time before my time...

TNG came out when I was 11 (that makes me "Next Generation")... but I didn't pay much attention to Star Trek until I was in second year uni. In Oz this wasn't until 1994 as we were at least 3 years behind the original US airdates.

Even though many of my uni mates were trekkers from earlier, it somehow took a chance channel flipping one night and a strange "symbiont" and Dr Crusher to intrigue me. From that first episode of "The Host" (TNG Season 4), I was hooked. That semester, I made it to a few "Trek club" events on campus, met people who'd learnt Klingon and claimed knowledge about some strange shapeshifter called "Odo" and read the club mag "Hailing Frequencies".

I eventually got to see reruns of TOS but it was only in recent years before I finally got to see almost all the series of TOS and TNG back-to-back. Since then the sense of anticipation never fails to build every time a new movie comes out (ok, maybe not so much with Nemesis :-) ).

Bring on ST XI! (and I look forward to your review, James)

George (yiorgara)

Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:08 am
I can still remember the night when "Best of Both Worlds" premiered on TV during TNG's run. I can still remember my mom being shocked when Commander Riker ordered Mr. Word to fire on the Borg ship after Locutus showed himself. I can also remember coming home from school the day after the final episode aired on TV and watched it again. The only movies I've seen on the big screen for Trek are Star Trek V, VI, Generations, and First Contact. Never really followed any of the other Trek shows after TNG.

Any of you ever been to the "Star Trek: Experience" museum at the Las Vegas Hilton? I was fortunate enough to go there a few years ago before its recent demise. I got to go on the behind-the-scenes tour of the rides and get to see actual props from the shows and movies in the museum area. One of the crown jewels for me was getting to sit in the captain's chair on a replica set of the Enterprise bridge from TNG. I must admit I felt giddy as could be sitting in a replica chair that Patrick Stewart sat in for seven years. I almost wanted to give an order for warp speed! lol.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:00 pm
Unke wrote:
Just noticed that this might be read as an attack on all Trekkies/Trekkers. I was only referring to the people I encounterd at this meeting, who where demonstrating what can only be described as religious fervour. I didn't mean any offence and I respect everybody who is passionate about his or her hobby.

I think Futurama was pretty spot-on when it predicted that Trek would indeed become a religion one day.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:27 pm
aameen wrote:
PS-i get this hint you were being sarcastic with "that's interesting". still answered the question though, in what i feel is unnecessary detail.

No, I was genuinely interested. I like culture and history.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:44 pm
John DiFool wrote:
I think Futurama was pretty spot-on when it predicted that Trek would indeed become a religion one day.

Star Trekism: The science-fiction religion that won't take all your money!

The Next Generation fan here. I got into the scene when TNG was winding down and DS9 was just getting started. Trek peaked for me with the Dominion War arc, but Voyager was repetitive and the first two seasons of Enterprise were either awful or boring or both. The final two seasons were a huge improvement, and I would have loved to have seen what the writers could have done with more episodes.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:31 pm
I would be a member of the New Guard. I was definitely a fan throughout the 1980's.

I grew up in Canada with one channel on a black and white TV (this experience is NOT typical of all Canadians :? ). My childhood science fiction was Space 1999. It was on Saturday nights around dinner time. Let's just say that it never achieved the cache of Star Trek...

Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:55 am
John DiFool wrote:

Star Trekism: The science-fiction religion that won't take all your money!
[/quote]
well, that and the works of tolkein.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:15 am
Second Unit Director

I guess I'm the old man around here. I was 15 when the original series came out, but I would hardly describe myself as a Keeper of the Flame because I never thought of Star Trek as anything more than a TV show.

It's important to put into perspective the state of the art for serious SF fans in the US in the summer of 1966, a decade before Star Wars. The times were bleak. Twilight Zone was a distant memory, and its successor, The Outer Limits, had recently been cancelled. Lost in Space and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea were hopeless. The hype that summer was generated by ABC for their new SF series, Time Tunnel, and my friends and I had high hopes for that. NBC chose not to publicize Star Trek at all. I remember reading only one story before the Fall premiere, a fluffy interview with the "star" of the show, Grace Lee Whitney, with a photo in her mini-skirt uniform. We all agreed that the show looked awful; even the name "Star Trek," sounded stupid. But the show's premiere in September 1966 (it was the otherwise average episode, The Man Trap) was an epiphany. Within five minutes, we knew we were seeing the first serious SF ever broadcast on American TV, and I will always be thankful for that.

I will always associate that first season with the Apollo space program. In mid-season, one night after a ST episode (don't remember which one), we watched in horror the reports of the fire that claimed three astronauts' lives on board the Apollo I capsule. The space program lost its innocence that night, especially after we learned that the fire was not a random accident but the result of accumulated incompetence. I've often wondered whether that event affected, among many other things, the public's appetite for serious SF on TV.

Unlike many other fans, I was not surprised or disappointed by the show's cancellation after Season 3. By that time, the quality of the scripts, and the show's budget, had deteriorated badly. But we were saddened by the cancellation anyway, and no one that I knew had any expectation that we would ever see those characters again.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:52 am
My father was a huge fan of TOS, and I remember watching it with him on BBC2 in the early 70s. This was in the days before video, and Star Trek was always on at the same time as Coronation Street (the UK's biggest soap) on ITV. There was sometimes a little argument with my mother about whether to watch Star Trek or Coronation Street, but my father and I always won.

Fast forward to 1979, and I remember the excitement of going to see Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I think my father was as excited as I was. By this time, I was also a Star Wars fan, but Star Trek was still the "real thing", as far as I was concerned. I remember thinking that the movie was long, but I do not recall being disappointed at the time. I think my father and I, like lots of other fans, were just relieved that Star Trek was still alive.

I cannot remember exactly, but the UK terrestrial broadcast of Encounter At Farpoint was a year or two after the US air date. I could not wait for that and hired it on VHS from our local video rental store as soon as it was available, which was still a long time after the US transmission.

We all know Picard and co. so well now, but I remember being incredibly nervous as the episode started. What if Roddenberry had screwed it up? What if the new characters did not measure up to my affection for Kirk, Spock and Bones? Thankfully, I was blown away. Data, who was clearly intended to be TNG's Spock, had my favourite line. In response to Riker's indignant "Do you consider yourself superior to us?", Data's reply sums up his character throughout the rest of the show: "I am superior, sir, in many ways. But I would gladly give it up to be human."

Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:25 am
Wow, I had always heard of that Shatner/SNL clip, but this is the first time I've seen it. There's nothing wrong with light hearted humour towards your audience, but that was pretty mean spirited.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:35 pm
My grandmother was so disappointed when Star Trek ended (the original TV show) that she named my uncle Kirk after you know who in July 1969 ...

Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:32 pm