It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:30 am

April 5, 2009: "Put Me In, Coach" 
Site Admin

Post April 5, 2009: "Put Me In, Coach"
Click here to read topic.

Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: April 5, 2009: "Put Me In, Coach"
This is probably one of my favorite days of the year too. These seven or so months out of the year have more of a rhythm to them because I can put on the Phillies nearly every night. Although I enjoy adrenaline-filled sports like football and college basketball, baseball is easily my favorite because of the tradition, the strategy, the calmness, the over-long season - everything about it.

Enjoy the game tonight, the Phillies should be pretty good this year again (although, like you said, they rarely win the opener). I hope Brett Myers is finally used to being a starter again - they need him in that rotation.

Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:56 pm
I've never been a big sports fan, yet I enjoy sports movies, particularly baseball. Go figure.

I know this may sound weird, but baseball just has this element that I can't quite put my finger on, that makes it seem more cinematic to me.

Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:07 pm
I'm not a fan of baseball. Being from Australia I haven't really had any exposure to it. The only baseball movies that come to mind that I've seen are The Sandlot Kids and Perfect Catch. I thought Perfect Catch was a really entertaining movie btw- it seemed to really delve into the psychology of a die hard fan.

I'm a basketball man myself. The thing about sports is that the stories of the great teams, the great games and the triumphs that encompass them would make really great movies, but to do such a thing is pretty much redundant. You don't need to make a movie based on the sporting life of Michael Jordan because to get all the drama you just need to watch the compilations put together by the NBA.COM people and if you find them, videos of his game.

Personally I think the sport that translates best to film is boxing.

Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:42 am
Go Braves!

Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:17 am
GO RED SOX 2009, my opening day was postponed due to rain :|

Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Baseball, far and away, has been my sport of choice for as long as I can remember. I spent my childhood in the 60s and 70s listening to Vin Scully and my beloved Dodgers, and continue to as an adult in my early 50s (Vinnie having lost little over the years). I now follow the Angels almost as much, now that I live in Orange County, but the Dodgers will always be my favorite.

As a result, baseball has always been my choice for any sports movie -- my favorites being Field of Dreams and Major League (for obviously different reasons). For non-baseball movies, Hoosiers for me has been the best I've seen.

So James, your article about anticipation for this time of year struck a resounding chord. As an umpire for various youth baseball organizations in my area, the anticipation for the first assignment of the season starts building once the new year arrives. Although I don't attend many professional games any more, I do have the best seat in the house whenever I am on the field as an official for any baseball game.

John

Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:55 pm
One thing about baseball. Its very difficult to convince other people of how great it is. If they don't like, they don't like it. I try to explain to them that the more you understand the game (as with anything) the great it becomes. When you start to try to predict the upcoming pitch the game becomes so much more. When you start to appreciate that runs happen more from a series of line drives than from home runs, and understand that the difference is largely the angle of the swing, the game becomes a lot more enjoyable.

When at a game you start looking over to see if any pitcher is warming up. If the guy on first is taking a big lead off. If the pitcher notices. It becomes more enjoyable.

When your team is down 3 runs in the 9th with 2 outs, and your team comes back to win (which has no equivalent in any timed sport), you become a fan.

Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:30 pm
Second Unit Director

For baseball movies, I agree with JB: The Natural remains my favorite. I still get goosebumps when I hear Randy Newman's wonderful score. It was a movie that, above all, captured the mythology of the sport. It also depicted the critical role of failure in baseball, where the best hitters fail 2/3 of the time, and the best pitchers can always have a bad night.

Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:33 pm
I am so excited about tonight, and also very anxious. The Astros are projected to finish 5th in the central this year. I know for a fact that won't happen.

I am Tim Goens and I am rooting for the oldest team in baseball!

Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:09 pm
Another Red Sox fan here. Baseball is to New England what soccer is to Brazil. There's no escaping it. I loved baseball growing up and all my friends did, even the super-nerds. I think that's partially a result of the way the Sox played for 86 years -- unlike the Cubs who were perennial losers, it seemed like the Sox came in second place every year until 2004 -- and also because baseball is easily the nerdiest of sports. How many times have you watched a ballgame and heard the announcer say something like, "That's only the second time in his career David Ortiz has hit a home run against the Yankees during a full moon following a day in which it rained in Regina, Saskatchewan"? These guys come up with stats for stats. On a nerd could possibly keep those numbers in his (or her) head. (If you think my example is hyperbole, baseball-resource.com lists batting average against left-handed pitchers in domes.)

Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:32 am
The O's are 1-0, on their way to somewhere around 100 losses. Opening Day used to be one of my favorite days of the year. As an Orioles fan, watching Peter Angelos run this once great franchise into the ground has made Opening Day a day I nearly dread. The O's stink every year, and are no where close to becoming even decent. It's sad that my enthusiam for the sport is starting to dwindle, but when you have an incompentent owner who doesn't care about putting a quality product on the field, it's tough to remain excited. I watched the game yesterday, and beating the Yankees always feels good. I'll keep watching, hoping, and rooting for the O's, but it just isn't the same these days.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:04 pm
James, fer Chrissakes, I'm no sports fan myself, but still... choosing Hannah Montana over anything? :(

What is ist, have you lost a bet?
Are you cleansing your soul from some hideous crime commited in past lives?
I mean, we know you're commited but, dude..., that's exactly why we wouldn't want to lose you.

Anyway: if it must be, remember to sit in the back. Next to an exit door. And don't forget your pop-cornbrella.

Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:05 am
Site Admin

gueibor wrote:
James, fer Chrissakes, I'm no sports fan myself, but still... choosing Hannah Montana over anything? :(

Considering how bad the game was (at least from my perspective - I'm sure my Braves' friends have a different perspective), it was the right choice. And Hannah Montana was better than at least a dozen other films I have seen thus far. I went it with pretty low expectations and it didn't fall below those (didn't exceed them by much, either).

Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:29 pm
Profile WWW
Quote:
It's like when you choose to marry one girl over another. You may rhapsodize over what might have been, but you stick with the one you chose even when things get unpleasant.

Wow, J.B., trouble in paradise? :) Wouldn't let the wife read this "reel thought" if I were you ;)

Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:14 pm
Rest in peace, Harry. A large part of that nostalgia died today that made me love baseball the most.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:31 pm
Site Admin

El Duderino wrote:
Rest in peace, Harry. A large part of that nostalgia died today that made me love baseball the most.

Truly. Feels like a member of the family died...

Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:41 pm
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
El Duderino wrote:

Truly. Feels like a member of the family died...

That's exactly how I feel. Normally I don't get upset when a "celebrity" dies but I (and many others) have literally grown up with his voice. Most of my summer memories for as long as I can remember are interspersed with Harry calling Phillies games. Even today during the game I kept subconsciously expecting him to pipe back in, say "thank you Wheels", and recite the count. It's going to be strange watching the games the season - almost emptier. It's a shame that there aren't many more legendary announcers left around the league (with the major exception of Vin Scully).

Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:57 pm
I am a movie fan and an NFL fan. However lately the movies have been much kinder to me than my St. Louis Rams...At least Hannah Montana makes her fans happy. I haven't had a happy Monday morning for years.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:50 am