Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:36 pm

March 29, 2009: "1983" 
Post Re: March 29, 2009: "1983"
Trevor wrote:
I also didn't know that the critical "consensus" had swung towards Phantom Menace, since at the time most people were saying that Attack of the Clones was a slight improvement. There are still stronger negative feelings towards Ep1 than towards any other one, I'm sure that won't be disputed.
Funny thing is, Phantom Menace earned a very favorable review in the local paper here. Years later, Attack of the Clones earned a lower score, but the reviewer remarked over what an improvement was over the Phantom Menace. It leads me to wonder about how much our opinions are truly our own, and how much they're influenced by the sheer immersiveness of opinions in the mass media. If people were forced to evaluate these movies in a vacuum, how would they fare?

Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:36 pm
Being 30 now, I can only look back and see what was released.

I see a few movies that I enjoy: The Outsiders, The Evil Dead, The Right Stuff, and Uncommon Valor.

I do enjoy the Bond movies, but I wouldn't point to them as my favorites among the Bond movies. I haven't seen Star Wars: ROTJ in a long time (7-8 years now). Not sure what I'd think now. As a kid I thought it was great. But I also loved Ewoks and the Battle of Endor.

Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:47 pm
Since most everyone else has already...

4 & 5 (tied), 3, 6, 2, 1

Anyway, I remember watching part of Superman III a few years later on TV with my dad. The only part I saw was the dueling Supermen in the junkyard. That was the only part that stuck with me. I ended up revisiting it MUCH later, when I was a senior in high school (I had FINALLY gotten around to watching Superman I and II, and even though III wasn't considered to be as good, nostalgia won out). I guess the reason why the good-Superman/evil-Superman fight stuck with me was because it was the only entertaining part of the movie; I blocked out everything else I had seen. :?

I can't wait to read the reviews, and I also can't wait to see what you have up for 1984 (my birth year).

Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:36 pm
1983 stands out for me a poor year overall. No love for ROTJ here either.

My favorite ten films in no order were:
Big Chill, The
Right Stuff, The
Educating Rita
King Of Comedy, The
Under Fire
Local Hero
Zelig
Tender Mercies
Monty Python Meaning Of Life
Rumble Fish

I had really hoped James would review Local Hero as it's one of those charming and gentle comedies that gets better with each viewing. Although it sits at a miserable 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Rob

Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:05 pm
Post Star Wars Episode VI -- Double Fantasy
I'm intrigued to read James' sentiment that 'The Return of the Jedi' is the worst of the non-animated Star Wars flicks. That's remarkable to me--I personally found Episode II to be completely unwatchable. I still haven't seen the whole thing.

For my part, I agree with the criticisms of Episode VI. I didn't need the Ewoks, and I didn't need another Death Star.

Still, I liked it.

I don't know how many of you are fans of John Lennon. I am. I remember when the John Lennon/Yoko Ono album Double Fantasy came out. I was excited, and the first time I played it, it was painful. Lennon had just been killed, and the damned thing had alternating Lennon/Ono tracks. This was in the days of vinyl, so you couldn't just 'skip' songs very easily (I did end up recording only the Lennon tracks onto cassette).

My point? Well, the Lennon tracks are among my favorites of his work. He did some great music through the years, but the simple, heartfelt pop on Double Fantasy was really moving to me.

I feel the same way about Episode VI. The scenes with Luke and Darth/Anakin (and the Emperor--geez he blew me away with that lightning) were really good, at least IMO. I thought the pathos, the realization that even a full-fledged Jedi couldn't stand alone against the Emperor, the whole business was great.

If I could have a 45 minute cut of the that film, I think it'd be the best of the bunch. As it is, it's worth a watch. My kids like it, and I enjoy it if I just tune out the Yoko Ono songs.

Worst of the six? I think the high points were better than Episode IV, and were certainly more involving than anything from the Prequels.

Of course, that's just my opinion. It's funny the way different people see things . . .

Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:32 am
To me, Empire was the pinnacle, the first is the second, and then Revenge Of The Sith. I regretted seeing the other films. Attack Of The Clones and Phantom Mence are garbage peppered with only the most basic entertainment values.

I'm so glad to see a review upcoming for Scarface, although I fear have no idea what you will think of it. After the hatred of Carrie and Femme Fatale, I can never be too certain with you and DePalma :lol:

P.S. - Terms of Endearment anf The Big Chill, ignored? Sorry to all BC fans, but I support this.

Local Hero ignored? *cries*

Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:43 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:

Local Hero ignored? *cries*

Maybe we can show james that we are revolting and want a review of Local Hero :-)

one of Burt Lancaster's greatest performances as well

Rob

Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:05 pm
Post Re: Star Wars Episode VI -- Double Fantasy
I agree that episode II was probably the worst of the bunch. Whenever I watch Return of the Jedi, I usually fast forward the Tatooine scenes and the Ewok scenes... the Luke/Vader/Palpatine stuff is classic, and I really enjoyed the space battle. "YES I SAID CLOSER!!!!". What still baffles me is if they just blew up the death star, why did 50+ star destroyers DO NOTHING about it???

But yeah, RotJ > AotC

Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:08 pm
Yeah got to agree with James on this one. Ain't now way ROTJ is worse than Episode 1 and 2. No way. I won't even accept that there is anything subject about that statement. As for Episode 1 vs. 2, it was 67 64 in favor of Episode 2. On IMDB it was 6.8 6.4 in favor of Episode 2. Not exactly blowing it away, but not a wide margin for Episode 1 either. All this to say that, in my opinion, Episode 1 is one of the worst movies I have ever had to watch. I could kill Jar Jar Binks with my bare hands.

Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:10 pm
Site Admin

Robert Holloway wrote:
I had really hoped James would review Local Hero as it's one of those charming and gentle comedies that gets better with each viewing. Although it sits at a miserable 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.

And the reason I'm not reviewing LOCAL HERO is...

Because I have already reviewed it (although it's one of those that hasn't been ported into the database).

Click here.

Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:15 pm
Profile WWW

*clears throat*

:oops:

Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:13 am
I am more interested to understand the venom James has for Terms of Endearment.

Not to say that it is any marvel of cinematic acheivement, but it is a movie where the characters were fleshed out, the story arc was appropriate and the emotional impact had relevance, at least to me I guess since I had a younger brother, a dad who divorced, an overbearing grandmother and a mom who died from cancer.

But aside from my obvious attachement, it really wasnt THAT bad, was it? Am I missing something?

Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:58 pm
MrGuinness wrote:
I am more interested to understand the venom James has for Terms of Endearment.

Not to say that it is any marvel of cinematic acheivement, but it is a movie where the characters were fleshed out, the story arc was appropriate and the emotional impact had relevance, at least to me I guess since I had a younger brother, a dad who divorced, an overbearing grandmother and a mom who died from cancer.

But aside from my obvious attachement, it really wasnt THAT bad, was it? Am I missing something?

I liked it but I can understand why it's hated especially the ending:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Debra Winger has a lump but it's a cyst. No it's cancer but it's benign. No it's malignant but she should fine. No it's terminal she's going to die. She dies surrounded by tears.

Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:03 pm
Post Re: Star Wars Episode VI -- Double Fantasy
Tuco wrote:
I'm intrigued to read James' sentiment that 'The Return of the Jedi' is the worst of the non-animated Star Wars flicks. That's remarkable to me--I personally found Episode II to be completely unwatchable. I still haven't seen the whole thing.

For my part, I agree with the criticisms of Episode VI. I didn't need the Ewoks, and I didn't need another Death Star.

Still, I liked it.

I don't know how many of you are fans of John Lennon. I am. I remember when the John Lennon/Yoko Ono album Double Fantasy came out. I was excited, and the first time I played it, it was painful. Lennon had just been killed, and the damned thing had alternating Lennon/Ono tracks. This was in the days of vinyl, so you couldn't just 'skip' songs very easily (I did end up recording only the Lennon tracks onto cassette).

My point? Well, the Lennon tracks are among my favorites of his work. He did some great music through the years, but the simple, heartfelt pop on Double Fantasy was really moving to me.

I feel the same way about Episode VI. The scenes with Luke and Darth/Anakin (and the Emperor--geez he blew me away with that lightning) were really good, at least IMO. I thought the pathos, the realization that even a full-fledged Jedi couldn't stand alone against the Emperor, the whole business was great.

If I could have a 45 minute cut of the that film, I think it'd be the best of the bunch. As it is, it's worth a watch. My kids like it, and I enjoy it if I just tune out the Yoko Ono songs.

Worst of the six? I think the high points were better than Episode IV, and were certainly more involving than anything from the Prequels.

Of course, that's just my opinion. It's funny the way different people see things . . .

What fascinates me about the Luke/Vader/Palpatine scenes are the potential theological renderings. If you are going to take SW as something of a mythology, then you have to buy into The Force. If you read the Expanded Universe, all threes power is exponentially increased. Why not in ROTJ? Luke was potentially more powerful than the Emperor at that point, but less experianced, and I believe he subconsciously foiled the Emperor through will power.

Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:07 pm
Agree with the above poster that Tender Mercies is one of the best movies of 1983, as it's one of my favorite movies (and performances) of all time. I'd love to see a Video View of it!

The only other noteworthy movie for me is Fanny and Alexander, which isn't my favorite Bergman but was still one of the best movies of that year.

Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:32 pm
There is one underrated film from 1983 that has not been mentioned: Testament starring Jane Alexander. Testament deals with the aftermath of a nuclear bomb and Alexander tries to keep her children alive. We see her trying to maintain hope as civilization comes to an end. This is a sad and powerful film.

Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:12 pm
Site Admin

Brian1974 wrote:
There is one underrated film from 1983 that has not been mentioned: Testament starring Jane Alexander. Testament deals with the aftermath of a nuclear bomb and Alexander tries to keep her children alive. We see her trying to maintain hope as civilization comes to an end. This is a sad and powerful film.

Almost no one saw TESTAMENT in theaters. It had the misfortune of coming out only a couple of weeks after THE DAY AFTER showed on television, and there really wasn't a market for two films about the same bleak subject matter. (TESTAMENT, it should be noted, was infinitely better.)

The film also had an unusual path to home video. It did not have a 1984 VHS release nor was it shown on a pay cable channel. Instead, PBS aired it some time in 1984 (that's when I saw it), uncut and without commercials. It took quite some time after that for it to arrive on VHS; for a long time, it was one of those "lost" films.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:04 pm
Profile WWW
Quote:
Almost no one saw TESTAMENT in theaters. It had the misfortune of coming out only a couple of weeks after THE DAY AFTER showed on television, and there really wasn't a market for two films about the same bleak subject matter. (TESTAMENT, it should be noted, was infinitely better.)

The film also had an unusual path to home video. It did not have a 1984 VHS release nor was it shown on a pay cable channel. Instead, PBS aired it some time in 1984 (that's when I saw it), uncut and without commercials. It took quite some time after that for it to arrive on VHS; for a long time, it was one of those "lost" films.

I first came across the film in the early 90's as a teenager while working in a video store. The box looked interesting so I took the movie home and it remains one of my favorite films.

Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:10 am