May 01, 2014: "The Daily Twitter Recommendation" 
Site Admin

Post May 01, 2014: "The Daily Twitter Recommendation"
Click here to read topic.

Thu May 01, 2014 6:55 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Post Re: May 01, 2014: "The Daily Twitter Recommendation"
Streaming is definitely not where it needs to be, and it's not just a matter of selection. You're rolling the dice in terms of picture quality, availability of alternate versions, subtitle accuracy, aspect ratio... various technical problems, in addition to such home video treasure troves as commentaries and featurettes. Streaming has so much potential, but it's not living up to it. Not even close.

Anyway, this is a really cool idea, reminiscent of what Ebert used to do with his Netflix recommendations. Glad to see one of his merry men is stepping into the breach.

Thu May 01, 2014 7:08 pm
Auteur

Agreed, streaming has it's uses but for the most part I prefer watching films on DVD.

Thu May 01, 2014 7:11 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

So are you still plan on reviewing Following or 12 Angry men. A lot of us would love to see the return of the Oscar reviews.

Thu May 01, 2014 7:21 pm
Site Admin

Big_Mike wrote:
So are you still plan on reviewing Following or 12 Angry men. A lot of us would love to see the return of the Oscar reviews.

I will be reviewing both. FOLLOWING fairly soon because I intend to make it one of the Twitter picks.

Thu May 01, 2014 9:08 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

JB, I think this is a great idea, especially when it comes to lesser known or foreign films. That being said, I would like to note that I live in Toronto, Canada, and from what I understand, the availability of films on the Canadian version of Netflix differs from what is available through the US version, and so I'm concerned about whether the films you will be recommending on Twitter will actually be made available to me.

Fri May 02, 2014 8:18 am
Site Admin

StatGuy2000 wrote:
JB, I think this is a great idea, especially when it comes to lesser known or foreign films. That being said, I would like to note that I live in Toronto, Canada, and from what I understand, the availability of films on the Canadian version of Netflix differs from what is available through the US version, and so I'm concerned about whether the films you will be recommending on Twitter will actually be made available to me.

After a couple of weeks, let me know if you're seeing significant differences. It depends on whether the rights are owned by different companies in the U.S. and Canada. For example, Netflix might have a deal with Miramax (U.S.) but not Atlantic Alliance (Canada). Hopefully, this will only impact a small number of films. Overseas/European/Asian readers will have similar problems.

Fri May 02, 2014 8:33 am
Profile WWW

Are we allowed to request a film or is this strictly your choice of film.

Fri May 02, 2014 1:09 pm
Director

Just gotta say that this is a hell of a great idea.

Fri May 02, 2014 5:07 pm
Second Unit Director

Please god not JUST twitter.

Sat May 03, 2014 11:26 am
Second Unit Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Just gotta say that this is a hell of a great idea.

Second.

And yes, international versions of Netflix have different availability for streaming. Evidently The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey was available on UK Netflix last year, but it hasn't been yet in US.

Sun May 04, 2014 10:23 am

is this going to be completely random or do you have a general idea of what you want to review. Also can we recommend a film.

Sun May 04, 2014 8:46 pm
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
Streaming is definitely not where it needs to be, and it's not just a matter of selection. You're rolling the dice in terms of picture quality, availability of alternate versions, subtitle accuracy, aspect ratio... various technical problems, in addition to such home video treasure troves as commentaries and featurettes. Streaming has so much potential, but it's not living up to it. Not even close.

Yeah, I tried to watch Orson Wells The Trial recently on streaming and the poor picture quality turned me off so much, primarily because I know that should look better than it did because of who directed it. I think my worst experience with streaming was with Red State, where the audio and visuals were out sync by a minute amount but it become almost painful to watch as a result.
-Jeremy

Sat May 10, 2014 1:58 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

I am not sold that streaming will deliver on the promise possible in the concept. There are problems with availability,selection and soon to be price. Apple with looking out for it's own interest has decided to not support net neutrality like other tech giants but instead moving to get privileged access to bandwidth with Comcast for Apple TV similar to the deal Netflix obtained. That could mean the end of Netflix if everyone can use mobile devices with Apple TV and a problem for Hulu and Youtube when they get the choked off bandwidth in the slow lane. Whether having a Apple-Comcast juggernaut is a good thing for the consumer but it possibly could lead to more piracy than less.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-27161270

The other problem is being outside the US we can't access premiere streaming services but get their underwhelming offshore alternatives. Here is a good example with Amazon Prime

What’s more interesting, however, is what isn’t included. For starters, this program is for Amazon.ca, which has a notoriously narrower selection than the U.S. version of the site, with higher prices when you take the value of the dollar into account (or sometimes, just in a side-by-side comparison).

But the biggest pain has to be the lack of access to Amazon’s other services that comes with Amazon Prime, notably Amazon Instant Video and the Lending Library for the Kindle. According to The Toronto Star, Amazon country manager Steve Oliver has said that there are no plans to offer these services in Canada.

It’s almost insulting that Amazon would even offer this service to Canada with so many of the Prime perks unavailable to Canadians, and for the same $79 a year, no less. Instead of access to the thousands of streaming movies and television shows available through Amazon Instant Video, or a free book to borrow every month from the huge Kindle library, Canadians are offered a service that they basically already get for free.

Sun May 11, 2014 4:11 am

My problem with streaming is lack of subtitles. Part of the reason I don't watch too many movies in the cinema.

Mon May 12, 2014 7:57 am
Second Unit Director

In my house we are almost exclusively streaming.

Vudu with Ultraviolet, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu+ all through the Roku, and now we just added Aereo, and if they win the Supreme Court case, we will happily get rid of our cable boxes.

Yes, there are some limitations, notably availability. Easter eggs and extras are a disappointment, and the occasional buffering sucks, but then again Cable is not immune to shitty reception and the majority of titles for rewatching are available in some form or another.

A large chunk of my dvd collection is not available via Ultraviolet but I have several hundred movies I have converted, and have never had a problem streaming Vudu.

There are lots of things I wish they would add via Roku, but slowly things are improving and it is nice not to have to deal with media.

And this from a guy that misses vinyl immensely!

Mon May 12, 2014 10:29 am
Second Unit Director

JayBob wrote:
My problem with streaming is lack of subtitles. Part of the reason I don't watch too many movies in the cinema.

Netflix has subtitles on just about every title I've seen.

Wed May 14, 2014 11:40 am
Producer

I've heard that the subtitles on Netflix can be hit or miss. I can't vouch personally, as I am an American and thus barely speak my first language, let alone a second.

Wed May 14, 2014 5:10 pm
Auteur

So far, i've had no problems with the subtitles on Netflix, they seem accurate.

Wed May 14, 2014 7:18 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
So far, i've had no problems with the subtitles on Netflix, they seem accurate.

Are you fluent in other languages, Vexer? I'm asking because your above quote seems to imply that you are multilingual, and thus are able to determine whether the subtitles are accurate?

As a disclaimer, I am fluent in Japanese and I can say that for the Japanese films I've seen, the subtitles were accurate (although I have not seen any Japanese films on Netflix).

Thu May 15, 2014 4:01 pm