Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:12 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
July 08, 2014: "Fuck off, Shitbag" 
Auteur

Post Re: July 08, 2014: "Fuck off, Shitbag"
Ryan Underdahl wrote:
This kind of thing happens far too often. Too many people have a lack of respect and refuse to consider that their behavior negatively affects others. I find it extremely irritating to be part of a millennial generation that seems incapable of putting away their phones--and worse, I am increasingly seeing older people on their phones during movies.

I really hate the annoying "millenial" stereotype, it is NOT just young people that use their cellphones in the theater, as others have mentioned on here, there are PLENTY of adults that do the very same thing. In fact almost every time i've seen someone whip out a cellphone at a screening, it was not a teenager or a young adult, but someone middle-age.

Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:34 pm
Gaffer

Well well..
I'm pretty sure you can attribute one's individual "annoyance level" to his / her own attitude towards talking or cell phone flashing or whatever type of annoyance one might be confronted with in a movie theatre. If you are more prone to talking or checking your fb status or stuff like that in cinema, you probably don't find it as irritating if others do it. But I think this is exactly the point James is talking about. It is simply disrespectful selfish to assume that other people don't mind as well.

And that was my point. Yes, there were always rude people. But I think the level of disrespect and selfishness among people has never been that great.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:43 am
Gaffer

Ha. pretty funny James. I have had many such experiences. Seems like whenever I go, i always get the douchebag in front or behind me.

I like the pre movie message they run at Alamo draft house. Its perfect. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3eeC2lJZs

My recent worst was a guy that i saw at the snack bar with the giant popcorn ask for a water cup so he could put butter chemical sludge in it. Then he sits in front of me of course. Eats the whole thing before the previews are up and goes to get a refill. Comes back with another bag and cup of sludge. Movie has started. He is holding this popcorn way up so he can pour the sludge by the glow of the screen. Then his wife whips out a container of Kraft Parmesan Cheese and here he is wacking this thing on the bottom repeatedly and loudly i gues because it was stuck. Holy cow.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:09 am
Gaffer

Vexer wrote:
Ryan Underdahl wrote:
This kind of thing happens far too often. Too many people have a lack of respect and refuse to consider that their behavior negatively affects others. I find it extremely irritating to be part of a millennial generation that seems incapable of putting away their phones--and worse, I am increasingly seeing older people on their phones during movies.

I really hate the annoying "millenial" stereotype, it is NOT just young people that use their cellphones in the theater, as others have mentioned on here, there are PLENTY of adults that do the very same thing. In fact almost every time i've seen someone whip out a cellphone at a screening, it was not a teenager or a young adult, but someone middle-age.

No, the milennials are annoying as fuck.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:10 am
Director

jaminator wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Ryan Underdahl wrote:

In some ways they are. So are the Baby Boomers with their endless nostalgia.

However, I chose not to generalize and judge a whole generation.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:13 pm
Auteur

jaminator wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Ryan Underdahl wrote:

Not from my experiences, the adults who blame the millenials for EVERYTHING that THEY themselves started are WAY more annoying as fuck.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:53 pm
Auteur

Cinematographer wrote:
Well well..
I'm pretty sure you can attribute one's individual "annoyance level" to his / her own attitude towards talking or cell phone flashing or whatever type of annoyance one might be confronted with in a movie theatre. If you are more prone to talking or checking your fb status or stuff like that in cinema, you probably don't find it as irritating if others do it. But I think this is exactly the point James is talking about. It is simply disrespectful selfish to assume that other people don't mind as well.

And that was my point. Yes, there were always rude people. But I think the level of disrespect and selfishness among people has never been that great.

Oh I think it has been as great or greater in the past, considering that violent crime has actually gone down since the 70s and onwards.

I never talk on my cellphone or use it for anything in the theater, and i'm still not horribly offended by people taking out their cellphones as long as A- they don't have them out for long or B- they're not talking on them.

Here's Cinemark's message against texting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgU2ue37hgY

Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:59 pm
Gaffer

Vexer wrote:
Not from my experiences, the adults who blame the millenials for EVERYTHING that THEY themselves started are WAY more annoying as fuck.

I dont blame them for everything. Just their assy attitudes and love for Lindsey Lohan..... ;)

Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:53 pm
Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:
So are the Baby Boomers with their endless nostalgia.

Hey, leave nostalgia alone (though I'm a Gen X'er, not a Baby Boomer)! It's because of it I have a continued appreciation of "The Goonies," "Meatballs," Voltron, Robotech, Nerf Fencing, Hostess Choco Bliss, etc. :P Just because it's current doesn't mean you HAVE to like it. :ugeek:

Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:22 pm
Director

Nostalgia isn't a good way to judge a movie. But I don't think it's necessarily a baby boomer issue at this point. Admittedly, millennials are a bit annoying, especially when they're nostalgic about things that happened long before they were born :? .

Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:16 am
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
Nostalgia isn't a good way to judge a movie. But I don't think it's necessarily a baby boomer issue at this point. Admittedly, millennials are a bit annoying, especially when they're nostalgic about things that happened long before they were born :? .

I really don't see what's so wrong with that, i'm nostalgic for 80s music simply because IMO it's a lot better then much of the crap that passes for music today, I also love a lot of 80s movies.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:20 am
Director

Vexer wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:

I really don't see what's so wrong with that, i'm nostalgic for 80s music simply because IMO it's a lot better then much of the crap that passes for music today, I also love a lot of 80s movies.

Well, maybe it's not just nostalgia, maybe it really is good.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:07 am
Director

Vexer wrote:
Ryan Underdahl wrote:

I'll stand up for the millennials too. Most of the rude people I've encountered in the theater have been 40 and up. I'll leave it at that, because you really don't want to get me started about the yuppies and boomers.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:44 am
Second Unit Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Ryan Underdahl wrote:

I'll stand up for the millennials too. Most of the rude people I've encountered in the theater have been 40 and up. I'll leave it at that, because you really don't want to get me started about the yuppies and boomers.

I always find it interesting the hidden cultural bias and finger pointing script that goes across generational lines that never changes whether it is the Great Depression/Baby Boomers,Baby Boomers/Gen X or Baby Boomer & X/Millennials in 60s,70s,80s,90s and 00s. The book Blindspot:Hidden Biases of Good People shows how our brains are hardwired to use biases and assumptions to filter what we see and refuse to see properly. No wonder the same things get tossed back and forth each decade.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13131582-blindspot

Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:37 pm
Producer

In my best Jack Nicholson voice: Why can't we all just get along!

Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:26 pm
Director

ilovemovies wrote:
In my best Jack Nicholson voice: Why can't we all just get along!

Why can't the boomers just retire so we can get some good jobs? ;)

Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:46 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:

I agree with this.
Today's music is terrible and ti's all Simon Cowel's fault.
What is he going to do 20 years when there are no new songs to cover

Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:21 am
Director

p604 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I agree with this.
Today's music is terrible and ti's all Simon Cowel's fault.
What is he going to do 20 years when there are no new songs to cover

Of course, the music from the '60s and '70s was even better, but that's another can of worms. :ugeek: But, yeah, forget about finding great music on Top 40 radio anymore; since the early '90s, you've really had to dig for it.

Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:50 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:

As someone who grew up in the 80s, allow me to say that it is easy to look at the period through rose-colored glasses. Yes, there was a lot of excellent music in the 1980s. But it's easy to forget that there was an incredible amount of shitty music that hit the charts as well. Look hard enough and you'll find it.

Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:18 pm
Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Vexer wrote:

As someone who grew up in the 80s, allow me to say that it is easy to look at the period through rose-colored glasses. Yes, there was a lot of excellent music in the 1980s. But it's easy to forget that there was an incredible amount of shitty music that hit the charts as well. Look hard enough and you'll find it.

Personally, I'd say even most of the bad stuff from the '80s is at least 'guilty pleasure-worthy' (e.g. Patrick Swayze's "She's Like the Wind," The Waitresses' "I Know What Boys Like," Outfield's "Your Love," etc.), whereas shit like "Barbie Girl," "Oops! I Did It Again," "Gangnam Style," etc., just make me want to jab my eardrums out with a knitting needle. :?

Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:49 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next