Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:52 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
July 08, 2014: "Fuck off, Shitbag" 
Director

Post Re: July 08, 2014: "Fuck off, Shitbag"
I can think of two particular incidents of rude behavior I witnessed in a theater.

First was when I went to see The Ring in October 2002 (yes over a decade ago). Guy has his cell phone on throughout the whole movie. Luckily he talks in whispers. But the phone keeps going off throughout the whole movie. At one point I fantasize about what Christopher Moltisanti (from the Sopranos) would do to that jerkoff.

Second one also involved a cell phone and was when I went to see The Town on opening weekend. I have my phone with me but set to vibrate as one should in a movie theater. At one point, I feel my phone go off. I step outside and take the call. Not long after, the guy's phone goes off playing Bob Seger's "Old Time Rock And Roll".

But does the guy go outside and take the call? Does he take it and say "I'll call back"? No. He takes the call and goes on for ten minutes.

And while the jerkoff in The Ring was someone in his 20s as I was at the time, the one in The Town was in his 40s. Proof that bad manners is not exclusively the province of the young.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:07 pm
Director

MGamesCook wrote:
FOMO, along with YOLO, definitely dominates current culture, especially with younger people. Now texting in the theater...calvero's right, that's not an age thing. Older people are guilty of that too, unfortunately. But FOMO is definitely an age thing. I agree with calvero that it tends to happen with TV a bit more these days, and I don't think it's factored much into any movie this year so far. The last time it did I would say is perhaps the Hunger Games sequel last year. As Ross has mentioned a few times, every blockbuster this year has had the exact same box office drop in the second week. It may indicate a growing indifference about these movies in general. But the other thing is also very true: the kind of cultural mindset that FOMO creates can blind rational thinking.

Heh, YOLO... or, as I once heard someone so eloquently put it, 'carpe diem for morons.' ;)

Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:43 pm
Auteur

I know nothing about memes and am all the more greatful for it, WTF does YOLO even mean anyways? :?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:43 am
Producer

YOLO stands for You Only Live Once. I have no idea what FOMO stands for though. Never heard of that one.

Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:24 am
Second Unit Director

I hate it when people use their phone to text during a film let alone talk. You've paid $10 to do something you can easily do at home or someplace else? I thought you were here to watch a movie? It doesn't matter if you're 10 rows ahead of me. I can still see the glow of your phone screen.

Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:54 am
Director

ilovemovies wrote:
YOLO stands for You Only Live Once. I have no idea what FOMO stands for though. Never heard of that one.

Fear of Missing Out.

Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:14 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

If you use your cellphone in any of the theaters I go to here in Munich, you will be asked to turn it off, then asked to leave. Promptly.

We also have assigned seating. I can't remember the last time I had an unpleasant theater-going experience here, except for one time I spilled half my beer when my neighbor accidently knocked the bottle out of my hand. I hate alcohol abuse.

I haven't been to a film in the US in years. The one thing I do remember is that it was August, and I needed a winter jacket, it was so cold. Americans and their air conditioning. Insane.

(DISCLAIMER: I am no longer an American for the puropses of this post ;) )

Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:03 pm

The Wittertainment Code Of Conduct should be posted outside every auditorium:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live/films/code_of_conduct.pdf

Screenshot_2014-07-09-20-02-36 by Loconinja, on Flickr

Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:05 pm

The Oatmeal has a plan to cover all this...

Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:33 pm
Gaffer

I've had some bad encounters of this kind as well. As a result, I planned my visits to the cinema more carefully.

I don't know the exact year when Spiderman 3 launched, but I was a huge fan of the movies back then. Obviously I needed to watch the first show on the first day, which was a thursday afternoon. I was like 16 back then, and the movie was rated "minimum age of 12", but somehow some seemingly 10 year olds managed to sneak into the movie. An while I don't want to say anything about the quality of the movie, it had its share of dramatic moments, but those where totally ruined by the kids who were making fun of those scenes. I think that kills any momentum that might have been built till then.

On another occasion, I was watching The Bournce Legacy, and again, a couple of teens thought that cinema was a good place to talk about life and tweet shit. Another guy was asking them to be quite, but their response was somewhat similar to James' topic. So I went out and asked some guy working there to do something about it (huge cinema, so I needed to find the staff, and this guy needed to find someone who could solve the situation), and they just told those kids something like this "be quite or you need to leave this place" which they obviously didn't.

On those occations I don't really want to tell those kids to be quite or shut up, because no matter what you tell them, you'll get a nasty response.

And that is something, that hasn't always been like that. I'm not very old, but I am pretty sure that this kind of behaviour would have led to someone giving them a real beating.

So to avoid these situations, I am picking the times I go to see a movie more carefully.

Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:41 pm
Auteur

There have always been rude people in theaters, that's nothing new.

Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:54 pm
Director

Well a fair amount of rustling is always gonna happen in movies, especially at the beginning. Popcorn helps keep the industry alive.

Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:22 pm

Of course people have always been rude in movie theaters, it's nothing new, but the point is, is that it's been getting worse. Maybe it's where I live, but the amount of bad movie experiences I've had over the past couple of years is alarming. I'm not going to make a list of all of them because I'd be here all night, but for every good experience I have, I have about 3 bad ones. I realize that may seem ridiculous, but it's true. Out of all the films I've seen this summer, I can only think of 4 times where I didn't have any problems. It's people and their sense of entitlement, they act as if the theater is their own living room and they don't give a shit about people and their surroundings. The worst are horror movies, I don't even bother to see many in theaters anymore because almost always you have that one person who keeps shouting, "No! Don't go in there!" or, "He's right behind you!". Even cell phones are annoying too, I don't mind them as much if it's a comedy I'm seeing, but when it's a horror movie (where it's generally dark), they're much more noticeable and distracting and it will undoubtedly kill the creepy atmosphere that the film sets up. Honestly, I'd be lying if I said that I didn't occasionally play that movie theater scene from God Bless America in my head every time someone ruins a film for me. But yea, it could just be where I live, I certainly never had as many bad experiences when I went to the movies as a kid as I do now.

Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:50 am
Auteur

I wouldn't really say it's been getting worse, I think people just notice rudeness a lot more nowadays with everything being posted on the internet.

I despise God Bless America, it has two of the most unlikeable lead characters of all time, that movie theater scene was horribly unfunny and nowadays comes across as being in incredibly poor taste, I most certainly would never think of doing that no matter how annoying someone was.

I think it might be where you live, because i've always had pretty good experiences in theaters, the few times someone takes their cellphone out, they don't talk on it and they put it away in a few minutes.

I actually don't mind people talking out loud during a film that much, especially if it's a comedy, which I find adds to the atmosphere. I remember chatting with someone next to me while I was at a screening for The Purge, we were both guessing trying to predict what would happen next and we had fun, though the theater was also relatively empty and there was no one else near us, so I wouldn't say we were bothering anyone. I've also groaned out loud when I saw character do incredibly stupid things and I heard other people echo my sentiment.

Last edited by Vexer on Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:02 am
Producer

I hated God Bless America as well, but I will confess that the movie theater amused me. Especially when they thank the good patron on the way out. The look on that person's face was what made that scene.

Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:05 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
I hated God Bless America as well, but I will confess that the movie theater amused me. Especially when they thank the good patron on the way out. The look on that person's face was what made that scene.

I saw that movie after the Aurora shooting, so I didn't think it was funny in the least, I just found it in REALLY poor taste. I find it disturbing how that movie expects people to laugh at mass shootings.

Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:09 am
Second Unit Director

nitrium wrote:
This is exactly why I avoid blockbusters theatrically. You rarely find this sort of behaviour while attending adult dramas or foreign language films.

I couldn't agree more.
All of the adult based films that i have attended have left lasting impressions on me.
"The passion of the Christ." Not a film I ever want to watch again but it is the nearest I have ever gotten to live theatre experience in the cinema.
"Les Miserable" People actually clapped at the end end. We don't really do that in Ireland
"Calvary" People were very moved by the ending. there was a kind of ebergy that you just don't get from a home viewing.

I have found that when you got to "Michael bay" film expect arse holes. If they behave badly call them out on it.
Most people around them will appreciate it.

Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:01 pm
Gaffer

This kind of thing happens far too often. Too many people have a lack of respect and refuse to consider that their behavior negatively affects others. I find it extremely irritating to be part of a millennial generation that seems incapable of putting away their phones--and worse, I am increasingly seeing older people on their phones during movies.

Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:02 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

The bad behavior has always been there as I can remember in the 70s with people talking,kicking your seat or making out in the row in front of you instead of using the traditional last row. Then you could smoke in the theater and there were smoking and non smoking sections but people didn't really care and just smoked everywhere and even blew smoke into the back of your head.

The change that occurred to me happened when VCRs and DVD players came about where you watch everything at home and didn't have to be handcuffed to going to a theater all the time. When you can watch movies at home and don't have to follow any kind of etiquette a lot of people will treat the theater as their basement or living room or other private space not the public space that it is. It is interesting to me when I go see live theater that the patrons there usually don't try anything like that as the theater staff really police the place well. Movies are not the only place where stupid behavior happens as you could see the same at music concerts.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-10-most-annoying-concert-behaviors-20130114

I have seen fist fights almost start over iphone backlights but the strangest thing that happened to me was at the movie The Russian Ark where someone want to create their own stills of the Hermitage Museum. So every now and then they would use their camera with full flash on in the middle of the theater. I thought I was in a psychodelic 70s movie with the number of blinding flashes during the movie.

I think it is too bad that it is illegal for theaters to use cell phone jammers in North America as that would stop some of the problems. I read that the French do allow theaters to jam signals except if they are emergency calls. I think they have the right idea there.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3735936.stm

Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:34 pm
Auteur

p604 wrote:
nitrium wrote:
This is exactly why I avoid blockbusters theatrically. You rarely find this sort of behaviour while attending adult dramas or foreign language films.

I couldn't agree more.
All of the adult based films that i have attended have left lasting impressions on me.
"The passion of the Christ." Not a film I ever want to watch again but it is the nearest I have ever gotten to live theatre experience in the cinema.
"Les Miserable" People actually clapped at the end end. We don't really do that in Ireland
"Calvary" People were very moved by the ending. there was a kind of ebergy that you just don't get from a home viewing.

I have found that when you got to "Michael bay" film expect arse holes. If they behave badly call them out on it.
Most people around them will appreciate it.

Not from my experiences, i've seen three Bay films in the theater so far(Dark Of The Moon, Age Of Extinction, and Pain and Gain) and all three i've had great experiences at, the audiences were very well-behaved and only got loud when laughing at the jokes, and I was laughing along with them so I didn't mind one bit.

Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:32 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next