April 16, 2014: "Through the Eyes of a Child" 
Site Admin

Post April 16, 2014: "Through the Eyes of a Child"
Click here to read topic.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:24 am
Profile WWW
Director

Post Re: April 16, 2014: "Through the Eyes of a Child"
I literally went Alison Brie's "aww" when I saw the pic. Too cute.

Yeah, if The Lego Movie didn't do it, maybe he's a bit young for theater. That movie is just relentless with only a little downtime near the end.

His possible second movie this year might be Disney's Big Hero 6, if they eventually put any trailer out.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:23 am
Assistant Director

THE LEGO MOVIE is a great "first movie" choice; with its emphasis on thinking outside the box, it arguably works better when watching it with family. Kids and adults can process it at the same time but on different levels.

Also, everyone knows my skin-crawling irritation with people posting public pictures of their babies/toddlers online, but only when they do it incessantly. Since this is the first pic we've seen of JB's son in almost four years (and a good one to boot), I'm cool with it here. 8-)

Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:47 am
Cinematographer

The most enjoyable movie experiences I've ever had were those I shared with my Dad as a young boy, and those I've recently spent with my children. I agree that going to the theater is not, in general, a communal experience for me. However, with the addition of a child-parent bond it does become one.

My dad was not a regular movie goer, and I'm pretty sure the only reason we ever went to the theater was so he could spend time alone with me away from the rest of the family. I don't remember my first theater experience, but I remember each of the times my father took me one-on-one.

Last year, I did the same with my son as we went to see The Avengers without mother and sister. It certainly wasn't the greatest movie I've ever seen, but it was the best time I've ever had at the movies as my son and I shared delight with the many humorous moments in the film and in the grand scale of the action. Recently did the same with my daughter (wife and son were out of town on a field trip) and The Lego Movie - another magical experience.

Its good to know that you were able to spend time enjoying your family at the theater without having to work. It will be interesting to see your reports of how Michael's interest in movies develop and which type(s) he will be drawn to.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:42 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

I remember my first movie, I was five at the time and my mother took me to see The Iron Giant. My mother is like you where she can't stand people who don't take their screaming children outside and instead, just let them keep screaming until they stop. My mom told me that day that the moment I start acting up, she'd take me out of the theater and we'd go straight home (thankfully, that didn't happen). My mom tells me that it was one of the best movie going experiences she's ever had. I loved the movie and I remember I started to cry a little towards the end (not loudly though) when we thought the iron giant died, but then when we saw at the end that he was okay, my expression changed and I started crying tears of joy. I was a hot mess, but I remember my mom was smiling and laughing a little at my reaction. She calmed me down afterwards, but she remembers that day so well. I remember it too, being in such a large theater and staring at the giant screen in front of me in awe. It was so different than watching VHS tapes on our tiny TV. But yea, I'll always remember it.

I feel like The Lego Movie works better for adults, but I'm an adult, so what do I know? Anyways, this was a sweet reelthought and brought back memories of my first theater experience. I can't remember what my second movie was either, oh well. Oh and one last thing, your son is adorable haha.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:51 pm
Auteur

My first movie as a kid was Homeward Bound 2-my mother took me and my sister to see it, I remember enjoying the experience.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:40 pm
Second Unit Director

The first experience I had in a movie theater was Monsters, Inc. at age 6. I don't think I'll ever forget that day. It was magical.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:27 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

I loved this ReelThoughts and especially loved the final sentences.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:33 pm

Snow White was the first film for me.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:18 pm
Second Unit Director

The first movie I was at was Jurassic Park. I was in my moms belly, and she said I kicked the living crap out of her because it was so loud.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:27 pm
Director

The first movie experience I remember is Babe: Pig in the City. I recall laughing so hard at Esme swinging around the ballroom in clown suit that I almost had an accident.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:34 pm
Gaffer

I've often thought about what it'll be like when I take my son to his first movie someday. For now I can only imagine. Thanks for sharing this moment with us, James.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:47 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

When I was very young, my mom took me to the movies pretty regularly. I'm not sure if it was the first one she ever took me to see, but I do know that we saw Mary Poppins in the theater during its initial run. I was 2 at the time.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:51 pm
Director

I can't remember the first film I ever saw in the theater. First film I ever remember seeing was De Palma's Carrie, when I was six. Fun times.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:42 pm
Producer

The first movie I remember watching was Ghostbusters. That was on an airplane ride to Paris. First movie I saw in movie theaters was actually the sequel. And later that year I saw with a friend and my parents Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. I was 6 when I saw Ghostbusters in the summer of 1989 and 7 when I saw Star Trek V in November.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:47 am
Second Unit Director

I can't remember going to see any film as my parents never took any of us to one. I only got to go to movies when I got into what would be junior high. The first couple I can remember is Midway with Charleston Heston shown in Sensurround technology and Sindbad and The Eye of the Tiger. The Sensurround system had these huge rock concert speakers in the back of theater and hidden behind the screen that caused your seats to vibrate. It had the effect of damaging some theaters plaster and tiles but increased the demand for subwoofers in the 70s. Technical quote:

Quote:
The original Sensurround design used for "Earthquake" employed a pseudorandom noise generator, designed by D. Broadus "Don" Keele, Jr., to create the low-frequency rumble, with the waveform matching that of the 1971 Sylmar earthquake

The film that sealed the deal as far as movies being magic was seeing a little hyped and unknown movie on a hot afternoon during summer break called Star Wars in the smallest dumpiest theater in our city which says something about what the studio thought they had on their hands.

It is interesting to read the movie magic kids have but I have witnessed movie disasters with kids. At Jurassic Park I saw one little girl across the aisle from me bolt upright in her chair,scream at the top of her voice and bolt straight out of the theater. My friend and his wife found a little kid shaking and cowering outside a theater door in a multiplex as his parents had brought him to an 18A horror movie which was too much for him. Some parents are better at the movie magic thing than others.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:23 pm
Director

"The Fox and the Hound" was the first movie I ever saw in a movie theater. My mom and my aunt took me as well as my 2 cousins. I think either "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark" or "Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back" (during its rerelease prior to "Jedi" coming out, I'm assuming) was the first live-action movie I saw in theaters. Even back then I had a feeling that this was an experience I'd enjoy over the years. 8-)

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:13 pm
Second Unit Director

I just have to applaud your statement that parents should remove their children as soon as they become too rambunctious. Maybe it's snooty of me, but my favorite theaters in the past few years ban children entirely. So much more enjoyable.

And yes, that pic was too cute. I loved that your son remembered that, too, even if he was restless with time left.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:50 pm

Quote:
The film that sealed the deal as far as movies being magic was seeing a little hyped and unknown movie on a hot afternoon during summer break called Star Wars

Hey .... i've seen that cult classic a few times. ;) I wasn't alive during the original release of Star Wars, but I do have memories of seeing Return of the Jedi in the theater although all I can recall is R2D2 and C3PO wandering the desert of Tatooine at the beginning but little beyond that. Perhaps I fell asleep! I was 4-years-old at that time. Considering what i was like as a child growing up, i am amazed my father attempted such a feat. I recall Star Trek IV much more vividly (i was 8 by then) and remember being quite fascinated by the whales! Funny what we take away from such experiences, isn't it?

I don't have any children, but I did take my niece, 10 at the time, to see Brave during its run. With her being a redhead and a lover of the princess genre, I was hoping it would be a slam dunk. I confess that I had a hidden agenda.... i despise the Disney Princess obsession and wanted to expose her to a different kind of princess - one that kicked ass and wasn't going to wait around for her Prince Charming to take care of business in life. But.... nope, she didn't like it. The bear scene in particular was too intense. FAIL.

Quote:
I just have to applaud your statement that parents should remove their children as soon as they become too rambunctious. Maybe it's snooty of me, but my favorite theaters in the past few years ban children entirely.

Ha! Yea you're not alone on that. It's amazing what parents would allow children to do. I was watching the latest Muppet movie (granted, this is a legitimate kids movie, but still...) and there two children that were actually given FREE ROAM of the entire theatre. Amazing.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:33 am
Producer

I don't usually have bad theater experiences. I'm usually lucky enough to avoid them. But my worst by far was when I went to go see Antwone Fisher, a mother brought her infant in, and the baby was crying through much of the movie. Annoyed the hell out of me. What was she thinking even taking the baby into a movie like Antwone Fisher anyway. A movie about a troubled young man in the marines who was physically and sexually abused as a kid? Not exactly a kid friendly movie there, I would think.

Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:43 am