It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:49 pm

March 23, 2009: "Galactica's Last Voyage" 
Site Admin

Post March 23, 2009: "Galactica's Last Voyage"
Click here to read topic.

Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:50 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: March 23, 2009: "Galactica's Last Voyage"
And don't forget to make room researching* for that new 'Arrested Development' movie ;)

* By researching I mean watching the entire series in two weeks. I've learned it can be done.

Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:43 pm
I think I liked the finale more than you did, but I can't really argue with anything you said regarding its strengths and weaknesses.

I also agree that it may be the weakest of the three finales RDM was involved with (in terms of execution), and yet BSG overall was so much more ambitious than those Star Trek shows that the BSG finale is elevated above those others in my mind, at least for now.

Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:58 pm
I just re-watched the miniseries again and thoroughly enjoyed it. In my opinion the series started out fast paced and well plotted but just went on way too long. They had maybe 3 seasons' worth of material and by the end it had been stretched too thinly and it was getting repetitive. I felt the finale was not as good as the miniseries but was a considerable improvement in quality over the rest of season 4.

Even having said all that, I'd still put the reimagined BSG in the same class as shows like "The Wire" and "The Shield", although the writers of those shows managed to keep the quality more consistent throughout (and in the case of The Shield the final season was as good as the first season)

As for Blakes 7, I saw it on British TV when it first came out and rewatched the whole thing as an adult on satellite TV around 1994. The first two seasons were enjoyable but the last two were, I felt, unwatchable. I could certainly see why Gareth Thomas left!

Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:23 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
And don't forget to make room researching* for that new 'Arrested Development' movie ;)

* By researching I mean watching the entire series in two weeks. I've learned it can be done.

* Really, it can be done in one.

Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:33 pm
Site Admin

rcil2003 wrote:
As for Blakes 7, I saw it on British TV when it first came out and rewatched the whole thing as an adult on satellite TV around 1994. The first two seasons were enjoyable but the last two were, I felt, unwatchable. I could certainly see why Gareth Thomas left!

The first two seasons were the best, and the show took a significant downturn once Thomas left, but there were things I enjoyed about the third season. The fourth season was redeemed only by Paul Darrow, but the writing mostly sucked (except for the rather chilling episode near the end written by Robert Holmes). The final episode, however, was pretty amazing - especially the last five minutes.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:22 am
Profile WWW
Can we post spoilers about the finale here or is this the wrong place?

I didn't really like the last season at all, it just got too weird for me and a lot of things in the finale just made no sense to me. Perhaps someone can talk me into liking it :)

Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:26 am
Though I generally liked the last season, I was not a fan of the finale. The final minutes as well left a bad taste in my mouth, as well how they so blatantly stated the "moral" if you'll call it that.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:08 am
James Berardinelli wrote:
The final episode, however, was pretty amazing - especially the last five minutes.

Maybe a bit off-topic, but there has never been a "last five minutes of a series" that can hold a candle to Six Feet Under. It's worth slogging through a couple of mediocre seasons (and several great ones) to get to that point.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:36 am
Site Admin

Philliard wrote:
Can we post spoilers about the finale here or is this the wrong place?

Spoilers are fine as long as you use the Spoiler Tag.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:33 am
Profile WWW
Mr. Berardinelli,

THANK YOU for your thoughts and views on what has been my favorite television series since its its inception. As I read your latest article, I flashed back on identical emotions I had had during its run. Frustration at how the storylines had, I felt, gotten weaker in the last two "seasons", but ultimate joy at the resulting payoffs.

I was also a big fan of STNG, and, to a lesser degree, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise to follow. It is clearly evident that Ronald Moore is a genius. Though very different in their execution, the ultimate goal of every episode of both STNG and BSG2 was to make you think.

But what set BSG2 apart was that there was much less "black and white" to the characters. They all had their faults. And it is this parallel to humanity that, for me, has had no equal in television.

Great sendoff to a truly great television experience.

John Biggs
Costa Mesa, CA

Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:53 am
I loved the first hour or so of the finale, but I agree that the second half was disappointing (especially the last five minutes). This episode dismantled a lot of the series' subtly by batting the audience over the head with ideas and by providing needless resolution on the religious questions raised over its run. But I've been ranting about this in the other finale thread, so I won't beat that dead horse any further. I think it may have only bothered me!

Ignoring the broader issues I had with the latter half, I really enjoyed some of the characters' epilogues.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The scene with Baltar and Caprica was brilliant, and I feel the Chief's exile was a suitable conclusion to an arch that was difficult to resolve. Poor Tyrol.

I hadn't even considered the gap that's been left now that BSG has concluded; guess I'll have to redevelop a Friday-night social life!

Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:06 am
Mr. Berardinelli, I'm actually most curious to hear your thoughts on the "twist" ending 150,000 years later.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Did it seem at all odd to you that the exact same clothes and culture, for the most part, were completely replicated? It was one of those ending where I watched it and thought, "Wow, that's cool." But then once I started scrutinizing it, it just didn't make any sense.
Any thoughts?

Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:43 am
Adam wrote:
I loved the first hour or so of the finale, but I agree that the second half was disappointing (especially the last five minutes). This episode dismantled a lot of the series' subtly by batting the audience over the head with ideas and by providing needless resolution on the religious questions raised over its run. But I've been ranting about this in the other finale thread, so I won't beat that dead horse any further. I think it may have only bothered me!

I've read your thoughts in the TV thread. You're exactly right. Bothered me too. Downright preachy.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:38 pm
Site Admin

Max M. wrote:
Mr. Berardinelli, I'm actually most curious to hear your thoughts on the "twist" ending 150,000 years later.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I was okay with the scene in Times Square (at least until they showed the robots). I also didn't mind the idea that Hera was the "Eve" of our current society. It wasn't necessary but it provided a nice hook for those that like that kind of thing. But, as Moore said, without that scene, there never would have been a real sense of why Hera was so important. So I'll buy that.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:20 pm
Profile WWW
'But after spending five years (or thereabouts) with these characters, a little self-indulgence was warranted.'

Spot on James, couldn't agree more. When you look at BSG as a journey, this really was the necessary ending. It would have been more in line with the series to have a shocking twist or heartbreaking finale, but it would have been unfair and cheap.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:52 pm
A fitting send off, I thought.

It's such a superb show, and so intelligently put together that it was always going to be a major challenge ending it. I'm quite sad it's all over, to be honest. When you literally "miss" the characters, I think the show has some magic. I feel exactly like that.

According to Olmos, once we see "The Plan" we'll need to re watch the entire series...I personally can't wait!

Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:04 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Longtime reader, first time poster here...

I really think you summed up the entirety of how I felt about the ending. At least one big part of me. It's true. It's not a perfect ending. Though, what would have been a completely perfect ending? I can't imagine one. And frankly, I feel satisfied the more I think back on it. I think the best point you make, James, is the following,

"What interested me was learning what happened to these characters at the end of their journey and, on that level, the episode delivered."

There were inconsistencies in the series. Ronald D. Moore admits to that. There are inconsistencies in practically every single series. There are questions left unanswered. And I don't really mind. I wanted to know what happened to these characters that I had grown to know, and feel for. And that's what satisfies me. I don't know if I would have been as satisfied with a nihilistic ending where everyone dies, as some would like to have happened (http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/What+frak+that+Behind+Battlestar+Galactica+ultimate+episode/1423182/story.html). I agree with Ronald D. Moore, who said,

"I was literally never tempted to go that way. I always felt that however brutal the show was, and how bleak it felt in moments, it was never nihilistic. It was never about saying that people are irredeemable. It was about trying to be honest about people, saying, 'Look at us. We are capable of all these things. Really good people do horrible things and horrible people do good things.'" (http://www.nj.com/entertainment/tv/index.ssf/2009/03/battlestar_galactica_ronald_d.html)

That's the way I felt throughout the series. That despite everything, despite the darkness, and despite the hurt and the pain, and yes, at times the nihilism of the whole thing, there was hope. And I wanted so badly for everyone to find a home (Earth?). I cannot, then, say I hated the ending. I felt that, in a strange way, it was fitting. I think, no matter what the ending was, I would feel some form of dissatisfaction. I loved the show. It's over. I can't help that. But I'm glad that the people I spent the last 5 years with finally found the home they were looking for.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:05 pm
Profile WWW
Gaffer

Paraphrasing a comment I read somewhere else on the interweb, at least it didn't end with Adama, Roslin, Starbuck and Apollo in a restaurant perusing menus, with Col Tigh struggling to parallel park outside, followed by a jump cut to black, 60 seconds of silence, and a song by Journey. ;)

Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:57 pm
Indeed. In comparison, the BSG Finale was everything one could want from a TV show that has had so much feeling, goodwill and time invested in it.

Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:21 pm