Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:49 pm

April 5, 2013: "Epitaph for a Titan" 
Cinematographer

Post Re: April 5, 2013: "Epitaph for a Titan"
KWRoss wrote:
James Berardinelli wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Rex Reed on the other hand is the the perfect showcase in how NOT to write movie reviews, after his insult towards Melissa McCarthy, I had to read his other reviews to see if he was like that all the time, IMO he is the absolute worst film critic working today, he's so bad he makes Armond White look like Ebert.

Ugh - Rex Reed. Borderline incoherent at times, which is an unpardonable sin in film reviewing. He's also not a very nice person. I've run into him a few times at film festivals.

I only recently discovered him because of the Identity Thief review, but after reading some of his ridiculously offensive moments in the Oldboy and Spirited Away reviews, I was left wondering how in the world he wasn't canned for some of these episodes. Kind of like the former Rutgers basketball coach.

Reed actually made a cameo appearance in the same episode of The Critic that Siskel and Ebert lent their voices to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_fAVEz-Y34. Fun fact of the day.

In all honesty, I cannot understand why Reed continues to review movies. He seems to hate his job. He takes no joy in cinema, and his reviews are often a) incomprehensible and b) inaccurate. (For example, in his review of The Hunger Games, he gave away the film's ending.) He has also has this bad habit of giving away important plot points in his reviews. Granted, a smidgen of cynicism is a part of the job, but Reed takes it to a whole new level. Unless a film is a safe, conventional picture, he hates it.

Now, when it comes down to it, who is the worst critic: Reed or Armond White? In all honesty, I would much rather read White's reviews.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:32 pm
Site Admin

Sean wrote:
In all honesty, I cannot understand why Reed continues to review movies. He seems to hate his job. He takes no joy in cinema, and his reviews are often a) incomprehensible and b) inaccurate. (For example, in his review of The Hunger Games, he gave away the film's ending.) He has also has this bad habit of giving away important plot points in his reviews. Granted, a smidgen of cynicism is a part of the job, but Reed takes it to a whole new level. Unless a film is a safe, conventional picture, he hates it.

Now, when it comes down to it, who is the worst critic: Reed or Armond White? In all honesty, I would much rather read White's reviews.

Didn't Reed take over one of the shows that Siskel & Ebert left. I know Lyons/Medved replaced them on "Sneak Previews" but I seem to recall Reed & Dixie Whatley (sp?) taking over at some point on some show. I think it may have been the first commercial S&E (when they left Tribune to sign with Disney), but I can't be sure.

Anyway, Reed was at one point a respected critic but things have gone downhill for him in the last 15-20 years.

Both White and Reed often engage in personal attacks in their "reviews" but, having met them both, I can say that White is a more affable man in person than Reed, who is an arrogant snob. White's actually quite meek, which is surprising for someone who writes with such a strident voice.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:28 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

I get the feeling that Reed is as he writes. He has terrible taste and limited comprehension, and his personality seems legitimately unpleasant, but at least his criticism honestly reflects those shortcomings. White's just full of shit, even if he is a nice guy.

If there's any Hippocratic Oath for film critics, it should be "First be honest".

Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:34 pm
Auteur

Ken wrote:
I get the feeling that Reed is as he writes. He has terrible taste and limited comprehension, and his personality seems legitimately unpleasant, but at least his criticism honestly reflects those shortcomings. White's just full of shit, even if he is a nice guy.

If there's any Hippocratic Oath for film critics, it should be "First be honest".

I get the feeling i'd like White better if I actually understood what he was saying in his reviews, at least he dosen't resort to personal insults like Reed does, which basically makes him sound like a grown-up version of Perez Hilton.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:03 pm
Cinematographer

Didn't Reed take over one of the shows that Siskel & Ebert left. I know Lyons/Medved replaced them on "Sneak Previews" but I seem to recall Reed & Dixie Whatley (sp?) taking over at some point on some show. I think it may have been the first commercial S&E (when they left Tribune to sign with Disney), but I can't be sure.

I recall that show, and yes it was with Dixie. Don't recall if it was a direct successor to S&E or an unrelated knock-off. Could probably look it up at Wikipedia or something, but I'd have to care enough first.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:09 pm
Director

Reed did that show with Bill Harris before that as well.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:08 pm
Cinematographer

Sean wrote:

Anyway, Reed was at one point a respected critic but things have gone downhill for him in the last 15-20 years.

Both White and Reed often engage in personal attacks in their "reviews" but, having met them both, I can say that White is a more affable man in person than Reed, who is an arrogant snob. White's actually quite meek, which is surprising for someone who writes with such a strident voice.

Reed's bad reputation precedes him, while White simply seems like a lost cause who enjoys doing what he does. For all I know, White could very well be honest in his reviews; he might actually be communicating what he thinks. Either way, I can hardly relate to either of them.

Still, I wonder how someone can continue a job that they seem to hate so much. At least White seems to take pleasure in writing his "reviews". Reed just seems like he hates everything about the form in general.

As someone with a great deal of appreciation for film, I can understand being irritated with the Hollywood system and the diminishing quality of movies these past ten or so years, but I still cannot understand how some can possess this much cynicism. It's toxic.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:02 pm
Producer

I figure this fits in this thread as well as anywhere. Rex Reed "reviews" V/H/S 2 after watching for a mere 20 minutes, and the AV Club responds in the most appropriate manner possible.

Note: if you don't like articles that insinuate almost once per sentence that a certain individual has lodged his cranium into a certain anatomically unlikely orifice on his own body, this is not the article for you.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:41 pm
Auteur

Ken wrote:
I figure this fits in this thread as well as anywhere. Rex Reed "reviews" V/H/S 2 after watching for a mere 20 minutes, and the AV Club responds in the most appropriate manner possible.

Note: if you don't like articles that insinuate almost once per sentence that a certain individual has lodged his cranium into a certain anatomically unlikely orifice on his own body, this is not the article for you.

More proof that Reed is one of the worst critics in existence, how the hell can you review a film when you were too damn lazy to even finish it?

Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:44 pm
Cinematographer

Ebert did that once, too. Then again, Ebert was actually a good critic, so...

Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:47 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:

When did Ebert do that? I know Siskel walked out of Black Sheep. But I can't recall what film Ebert walked out of.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:04 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Sean wrote:

When did Ebert do that? I know Siskel walked out of Black Sheep. But I can't recall what film Ebert walked out of.

It was that movie Ebert reviewed the first 8 minutes of like 5 or 6 years ago. I forgot what it was called though.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:09 pm
Cinematographer

patrick wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Sean wrote:

It was that movie Ebert reviewed the first 8 minutes of like 5 or 6 years ago. I forgot what it was called though.

Tru Loved:

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/tru-loved-2008

He did get around to seeing and writing about the full movie, but that original "first eight minutes" review sparked a good deal of discussion

http://www.rogerebert.com/rogers-journa ... -me-second

I'm not entirely sure if this is an issue of ethical responsibility, but it is an issue of personal and professional integrity. Ebert's justification for his review was that he made sure he stated explicitly that he only saw and reviewed the first eight minutes. He did write later of how he regretted submitting the review in the first place. Reed can make the same justification for his review of V/H/S 2, but he has never had the professional integrity of Ebert, nor has he ever really shown any concern for how he is viewed by the public.

Regardless of previously-established reputation, I feel like, if a professional film critic, someone who is fortunate enough to view films for a living, wants to maintain any kind of integrity, it's probably not the best practice to condemn an entire film without actually seeing it in its entirety.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:22 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Rex Reed was one of the critics who took over the first edition of At The Movies when Ebert and Siskel had a dispute with their distributors and founded Siskel & Ebert & the Movies. The latter had various titles after Siskel died and there were various critics, and eventually became At the Movies with Ebert and Roeper, the Reed series been long dead and buried with a stake in its heart.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:21 pm
Director

Quote:
but, having met them both, I can say that White is a more affable man in person than Reed, who is an arrogant snob. White's actually quite meek, which is surprising for someone who writes with such a strident voice.

doesn't sound that meek here...

Quote:
The 79th annual New York Film Critics Circle Awards turned awkward on Monday night when CityArts editor Armond White started to heckle director Steve McQueen.

McQueen had just accepted his prize for “12 Years a Slave,” presented by Harry Belafonte, when the interruption broke out.

As soon as McQueen took the stage, White started shouting from his table at the back of the room. “You’re an embarrassing doorman and garbage man,” White boomed. “F—you. Kiss my ass.”

McQueen either didn’t hear the comments or pretended not to. He thanked the critics group for honoring him with an award previously given to John Ford and Woody Allen, at which point White hissed “pulease.”

This isn’t the first time White, a controversial critic who often hates the movies everybody else loves and panned “12 Years a Slave,” has thrown a public fit at the annual gala meant to celebrate film.

In 2011, White hosted the ceremony and took verbal jabs at the winning performances from Annette Bening and Michelle Williams. In 2012, he jeered at Robert DeNiro and Viola Davis as they were speaking on-stage.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/12-years-s ... 27860.html

Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:29 pm
Producer

I'm sure he didn't do it sincerely and that he only did it to make an academic point. Like everything he does.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:53 pm