February 25, 2013: "Oscars 2013 - The Hangover" 
Site Admin

Post February 25, 2013: "Oscars 2013 - The Hangover"
Click here to read topic.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:02 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Post Re: February 25, 2013: "Oscars 2013 - The Hangover"
I'm glad you agree with me about McFarlane. I'm a big Family Guy fan, so I enjoy his brand of humor. I've already heard some complaints about how offensive a host he was, but really, he beat everyone to the punch with that "bad reviews from the future" bit. The line about Django Unchained and Rhianna/Chris Brown was my favorite of the night.

Never gave the Bond tribute any thought at all during the telecast, but you're right. If the actors playing him don't show up, what's the point?

As for Michelle Obama? Hey, I didn't mind it when the Madden NFL video games included Barack Obama (the team that wins the Super Bowl is shown taking a trip to the White House and giving him a jersey), so I don't mind it here, either.

Last edited by KWRoss on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:57 pm
Second Unit Director

I think there was an attempt made to get all the Bond actors together, but some of them turned it down. The Oscar producers made it clear before the show the Bond actors weren't coming together. I doubt Connery and Moore would have flown from overseas to the U.S. and back just for being on stage for a few minutes. But the whole Bond tribute was disappointing and deserved better considering the franchise's impact and long-lasting legacy. At least Shirley Bassey sounded good especially considering she's 76 years old.

I thought MacFarlane did fine. He was no Billy Crystal or Bob Hope, but he certainly was no James Franco.

I think the whole world pretty much noticed Anne Hathaway's nipples. Hell, even from a distance you could see those things poke through.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:01 pm
Second Unit Director

Sorry, I have to disagree about Seth MacFarlane. His "joke" about Rhianna's date night was completely tasteless. I just don't get what's so funny about a woman getting beat up. I also failed to see the humor in John Wilkes Booth's assassination of Lincoln. Other than that, his performance was mostly lame, including the Flying Nun, the over-long Star Trek sketch, the gay men's choir, the anti-Semetic jokes from Ted, and on and on...

Looking forward to Tina and Amy.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:24 pm
Director

slksc wrote:
Sorry, I have to disagree about Seth MacFarlane. His "joke" about Rhianna's date night was completely tasteless. I just don't get what's so funny about a woman getting beat up. I also failed to see the humor in John Wilkes Booth's assassination of Lincoln. Other than that, his performance was mostly lame, including the Flying Nun, the over-long Star Trek sketch, the gay men's choir, the anti-Semetic jokes from Ted, and on and on...

Shut up, Meg. 8-)

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:28 pm
Director

slksc wrote:

Yeah, if you want soft, cutesy, down-the-middle jokes, stick with Tina and Amy... or Ellen DeGeneres. :roll:

Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:14 pm
Producer

Seth McFarlane is as soft, cutesy, and down the middle as they come. The difference is that he pretends otherwise.

A five minute joke about boobs seems audacious on the surface, but it's not disrupting anybody's understanding of right or wrong or otherwise challenging normality. It's very, very much down the middle: if we agree that boobs is a funny word, then surely it will be even funnier after it's been repeated over and over and over again. Maybe with a large choir--a gay choir, because gay is also funny!

Seth McFarlane is Ellen DeGeneres pretending to be Louis CK.

Actually, there's a thought: Louis CK hosting the Oscars.

If the housewives with rocks in their purses got their leather studded crotchless panties in a bunch over Seth McFarlane, I'm pretty sure they would all spontaneously burst into flames within five seconds of Louis CK giving an opening monologue.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:32 pm
Director

Ken wrote:
A five minute joke about boobs seems audacious on the surface, but it's not disrupting anybody's understanding of right or wrong or otherwise challenging normality. It's very, very much down the middle: if we agree that boobs is a funny word, then surely it will be even funnier after it's been repeated over and over and over again. Maybe with a large choir--a gay choir, because gay is also funny!

Um, no, the real joke there was its self-awareness of how tacky it was, no? :?

I'll readily admit that MacFarlane is a relative lightweight compared to most comedians these days... but I'll take someone who doesn't deliberately try to be accessible to ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE than one who does. :P

Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:03 am
Auteur

Am I the only person on here who dosen't think Louis CK is all that funny?

Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:10 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

I hope so.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:18 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:

You're the only person here to think a lot of things, big guy.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:04 am
Gaffer

I thought MacFarlane did a decent job - he seemed nervous, but the material was consistent with his brand even if it was a bit safe. But skipping over the discussion about whether or not the jokes were tasteless, I'm curious to know if viewers were entertained. Is it the job of the host to keep the viewers entertained, and how? Looking back at Billy Crystal, Johnny Carson and Bob Hope - would they be as entertaining today and / or considered to be "good" hosts?

Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:31 am

Gedmud wrote:
Vexer wrote:

You're the only person here to think a lot of things, big guy.

LMAO. Hey James I was wondering, you never did get around to posting your favorite acting performances from last year. Were you gonna do it like you used to do back in the 90's were you'd compare who won versus whom you think should have won and who should have been nominated that wasn't? Just curious!

Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:13 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Yeah I noticed that after the top 10 list was finished, oafolay. I'm always curious about James' acting opinions. From his reviews, Daniel Day-Lewis and Anne Hathaway winning he probably agreed with. I doubt he had issues with Hugh Jackman (so glad he was nominated, IMO he's been criminally underrated), Bradley Cooper, Denzel Washington, Joaquin Phoenix (btw how amazing was the Lead Actor field! That Day-Lewis was such a favorite says a lot about his performance), Jennifer Lawrence, Jessica Chastain, Tommy Lee Jones, Robert de Niro, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Christoph Waltz (though I think he praised di Caprio more), Amy Adams, Helen Hunt, and Sally Field getting nominated. Off the top of my head those acting performances he highlighted in his reviews.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:45 pm
Second Unit Director

I had some interesting reactions to seeing these Oscars.

First is Anne Hathaway is becoming the new Gwyneth Paltrow and not in a good way. Her performance on the award stage this season has really polarized some people into Hathahaters especially when she stole the mike from the producer of Les Miz at the Golden Globes when they won for Best Musical and Comedy. “I haven’t forgotten to thank anyone because I haven’t started yet,” Les Miz producer Eric Fellner said after, throwing his star under the bus.

Second is that I really really wanted Quvenzhane Wallis to go punch Seth McFarlane right in the groin and shout "I'm the man" and flex her biceps. His terrible jokes wasn't the deal breaker but his constant smirking and laughing at his own jokes was a little like the smug jerk you can't shake at the office party and want to punch in the face. Johnny Carson also told bad jokes but his style was polished and cool not dorky and obnoxious.

Third is why does the Oscars have to become the Tony Awards with all the big production numbers. Ditch the musical numbers. Ditch the opening monologue and just have a few preliminary comments then just simply present the awards like they do at Cannes. They should only allow speeches for the big 6 awards for acting and directing with the rest of the winners staying in their seats and to be given their Oscars after the show is over.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:46 am
Producer

oakenshield32 wrote:
They should only allow speeches for the big 6 awards for acting and directing with the rest of the winners staying in their seats and to be given their Oscars after the show is over.

I disagree with this, mainly because it would validate the criminal underappreciation of what those other people have done for their movies, and it would validate the criminal overapprecation of the actors.

If anything, revise and enforce the rules governing the speeches so that they're short, to the point, and with a minimum of thanks.

And, for the love of god, if it's a group award, don't let one guy hog the whole thing and cut the next guy off as soon as he opens his mouth. Either have one person speak on the behalf of all or constrain each of them to a few remarks.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:55 am
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
And, for the love of god, if it's a group award, don't let one guy hog the whole thing and cut the next guy off as soon as he opens his mouth. Either have one person speak on the behalf of all or constrain each of them to a few remarks.

I felt really bad for the guy whose microphone got killed, especially given that they let Hathaway's thank list run on and on. (I don't think she got more time, but it sure felt like it.) I think each group nominee needs to decide beforehand whether one guy will speak for them or they'll each take a few seconds. As for thank lists, I have fewer issues with say, the art director thanking the members of the art department who helped her/him directly than say, an actor thanking every family member and previous director they can think of.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:12 pm
Second Unit Director

Quote:
I disagree with this, mainly because it would validate the criminal underappreciation of what those other people have done for their movies, and it would validate the criminal overapprecation of the actors.

Isn't is just an honor to be nominated? I am not convinced that making a rambling speech about people we don't know or care about is a good use of tv time. Heck there is even a separate ceremony for the Academy Science and Tech division. Though there may have been a slightly political overtone of why one of the Best Visual winners were cutoff.Here is the quote.

Prior to the ceremony, an estimated 400 visual effects artists staged a protest on Hollywood Boulevard. The artists were protesting what they perceived to be the mistreatment of their industry by the studio system. The event that sparked the protest occurred when Rhythm & Hues visual effects studio, whose work would win the Oscar for Life of Pi, filed for bankruptcy in the weeks before the Oscars. The visual effects industry was also upset when the winners for Best Visual Effects were drowned out by the Jaws theme music and had their microphones shut off during their acceptance speech right as they began speaking about the controversy.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:44 pm
Director

I read a breakdown of the telecast. Presenters actually were responsible for inflating the length of the telecast more than the winners speeches. Do we really need banter between Paul Rudd, The Avengers etc? It really adds up.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:18 pm

Ken wrote:
Actually, there's a thought: Louis CK hosting the Oscars.

Holy shit. That thought baffles me. You mentioned that...then first thought I had practically made me hard, then immediately before that happened, I thought...there is no way he would do it. No way. They'd have to neuter him. Literally. He would not allow himself to be censored...and I'm not talking bad words getting bleeped, but the stuff he would want to talk about. Not happening, though I truly wish it would.

Vexer wrote:

I would say that you're not his target audience Sexey Vexey, but I don't think Mr. CK has a target in mind. He speaks what he sees and lives. I don't think I've laughed harder in the last couple of years than when he talked about changing his girls' diapers. It's fucking hilarious if you've lived it...maybe not so much if you haven't. Just one example of hundreds that apply to me.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:07 am