Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:52 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
February 13, 2013: "2013 Oscars - Tossups" 
Author Message
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3155
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post February 13, 2013: "2013 Oscars - Tossups"
Click here to read topic.


Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:03 pm
Profile WWW
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1726
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: February 13, 2013: "2013 Oscars - Tossups"
Your picks are pretty close to mine. About the only place we differ is that I'm not leaning toward Tarantino.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:22 pm
Profile
Gaffer
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 12:06 am
Posts: 40
Post Re: February 13, 2013: "2013 Oscars - Tossups"
I'm hoping you give us your own personal picks for every category as well, or rather the major categories only.


Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:35 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Posts: 1296
Post Re: February 13, 2013: "2013 Oscars - Tossups"
Re: Animated Feature. "Frankenweenie" still getting seemingly zero buzz seems like an even bigger reinforcement of the Academy's general indifference with Tim Burton, despite it being one of his most inspired films in years (next to "Sweeney Todd"... which itself got Best Picture and Best Director snubs :evil: ). Apparently they'd rather give it to a lesser Pixar film almost by default. :roll:


Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:57 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3646
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: February 13, 2013: "2013 Oscars - Tossups"
H.I. McDonough wrote:
Re: Animated Feature. "Frankenweenie" still getting seemingly zero buzz seems like an even bigger reinforcement of the Academy's general indifference with Tim Burton, despite it being one of his most inspired films in years (next to "Sweeney Todd"... which itself got Best Picture and Best Director snubs :evil: ). Apparently they'd rather give it to a lesser Pixar film almost by default. :roll:

Well the fact that it got released around the same time as ParaNorman certainly didn't help.


Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:08 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:35 am
Posts: 423
Post Re: February 13, 2013: "2013 Oscars - Tossups"
Vexer wrote:
H.I. McDonough wrote:
Re: Animated Feature. "Frankenweenie" still getting seemingly zero buzz seems like an even bigger reinforcement of the Academy's general indifference with Tim Burton, despite it being one of his most inspired films in years (next to "Sweeney Todd"... which itself got Best Picture and Best Director snubs :evil: ). Apparently they'd rather give it to a lesser Pixar film almost by default. :roll:

Well the fact that it got released around the same time as ParaNorman certainly didn't help.


Which I honestly think is a much superior film.


Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:29 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 1064
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: February 13, 2013: "2013 Oscars - Tossups"
Awkward Beard Man wrote:
Vexer wrote:
H.I. McDonough wrote:
Re: Animated Feature. "Frankenweenie" still getting seemingly zero buzz seems like an even bigger reinforcement of the Academy's general indifference with Tim Burton, despite it being one of his most inspired films in years (next to "Sweeney Todd"... which itself got Best Picture and Best Director snubs :evil: ). Apparently they'd rather give it to a lesser Pixar film almost by default. :roll:

Well the fact that it got released around the same time as ParaNorman certainly didn't help.


Which I honestly think is a much superior film.


As a lifelong gamer, I think you guys are all wrong! Wreck-it-Ralph!!!! 8-)

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:35 am
Profile
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3155
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: February 13, 2013: "2013 Oscars - Tossups"
KWRoss wrote:

As a lifelong gamer, I think you guys are all wrong! Wreck-it-Ralph!!!! 8-)


Could be - WRECK-IT is close enough behind BRAVE that it could win. Both movies are Disney, though, so the studio probably doesn't care. The Pixar division does, however.


Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:08 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 4:33 pm
Posts: 584
Post Re: February 13, 2013: "2013 Oscars - Tossups"
Vexer wrote:
H.I. McDonough wrote:
Re: Animated Feature. "Frankenweenie" still getting seemingly zero buzz seems like an even bigger reinforcement of the Academy's general indifference with Tim Burton, despite it being one of his most inspired films in years (next to "Sweeney Todd"... which itself got Best Picture and Best Director snubs :evil: ). Apparently they'd rather give it to a lesser Pixar film almost by default. :roll:

Well the fact that it got released around the same time as ParaNorman certainly didn't help.


ParaNorman was a late-summer release. Frankenweenie was released in October. Close enough.

I think that ParaNorman, Pirates!, and Frankenweenie have very little chance of winning, further proving that the Academy is loaded with clueless shills. Everyone on Gold Derby seems to think that Wreck-It Ralph will win: http://www.goldderby.com/awardshows/exp ... ature.html, which is fine by me.

I personally thought that The Secret World of Arrietty was the best animated film of the year.

Is it me, or do this year's Oscars look very predictable and uninteresting? Maybe it's the Affleck snub or the fact that ZDT has been blacklisted, but what started off as great excitement on my part has fizzled out into indifference. It's kind of like what James once said about the anticipation for a blockbuster being much better than the film itself 95% of the time.


Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:10 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 2101
Post Re: February 13, 2013: "2013 Oscars - Tossups"
The Secret World of Arrietty wasn't eligible for a nomination because it was released in Japan in 2010. It fell victim to rule three part three:
Quote:
A picture first theatrically exhibited outside the U.S. prior to the Los Angeles County qualifying run shall be eligible for submission provided the prior exhibition takes place in a commercial motion picture theater after January 1, 2011. After the start of its initial theatrical engagement, a picture may be exhibited on television and other nontheatrical media, provided those exhibitions occur outside the U.S. No film that is shown inside the U.S. in any nontheatrical medium prior to its Los Angeles County qualifying run shall be eligible for Academy Awards.


Because it took so long to release Arrietty in this country, it was never eligible for any Academy Awards except for Best Foreign Language Film.

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:40 pm
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2208
Post Re: February 13, 2013: "2013 Oscars - Tossups"
I just finished watching Wreck it Ralph and I gotta say, if Brave wins best animated feature I'll be pissed. Brave flat out sucked. But Wreck it Ralph was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed it immensely. So much better than Brave and The Pirates! Band of Misfits put together!

Still need to see Frankenweenie and ParaNorman though. And they both look pretty good too.


Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:19 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 1064
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: February 13, 2013: "2013 Oscars - Tossups"
James Berardinelli wrote:
KWRoss wrote:

As a lifelong gamer, I think you guys are all wrong! Wreck-it-Ralph!!!! 8-)


Could be - WRECK-IT is close enough behind BRAVE that it could win. Both movies are Disney, though, so the studio probably doesn't care. The Pixar division does, however.


I just noticed today you made the switch. Good for you. But now we're only three categories apart: Makeup, Original Screenplay, and Music (score)

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:56 am
Profile
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3155
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: February 13, 2013: "2013 Oscars - Tossups"
KWRoss wrote:
James Berardinelli wrote:
KWRoss wrote:

As a lifelong gamer, I think you guys are all wrong! Wreck-it-Ralph!!!! 8-)


Could be - WRECK-IT is close enough behind BRAVE that it could win. Both movies are Disney, though, so the studio probably doesn't care. The Pixar division does, however.


I just noticed today you made the switch. Good for you. But now we're only three categories apart: Makeup, Original Screenplay, and Music (score)


I'm very shaky on Supporting Actor and Adapted Screenplay. Both of those could go in another direction. But I was locked in as of noon last Sunday so even if I think I might be wrong now, I'm committed to what I chose last weekend.

I got the animated change in before the deadline, however.


Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:23 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr