Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:25 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
December 23, 2012: Episode VII 
Assistant Director

Post Re: December 23, 2012: Episode VII
Ken wrote:
One might have also been flabbergasted that anyone would have wanted another Indiana Jones after Temple of Doom.

Touché.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:59 am
Cinematographer

nitrium wrote:
It's irrelevant how much respect you personally have for MovieBob. You should try to counter his ARGUMENTS for why there is more to Sucker Punch than meets the eye, as opposed to simply automatically dismissing everything he says simply because you don't "respect" him. If MovieBob is indeed "right" (in the same way 2+2=4) about his interpretation and the deeper meaning of Sucker Punch there is little doubt that there is a LOT more to Snyder than we might have first thought.

It's actually NOT irrelevant when we're talking about a subject that is based almost purely on subjective thought. If I don't respect MovieBob's taste in films or his opinions on such, then I don't give a flying fuck what he has to say about Sucker Punch. You know this as evidenced by the fact that you the word "right" into parentheses.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:06 pm
Assistant Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
nitrium wrote:
It's irrelevant how much respect you personally have for MovieBob. You should try to counter his ARGUMENTS for why there is more to Sucker Punch than meets the eye, as opposed to simply automatically dismissing everything he says simply because you don't "respect" him. If MovieBob is indeed "right" (in the same way 2+2=4) about his interpretation and the deeper meaning of Sucker Punch there is little doubt that there is a LOT more to Snyder than we might have first thought.

It's actually NOT irrelevant when we're talking about a subject that is based almost purely on subjective thought. If I don't respect MovieBob's taste in films or his opinions on such, then I don't give a flying fuck what he has to say about Sucker Punch. You know this as evidenced by the fact that you the word "right" into parentheses.

I sure did. Doesn't change the fact that he might be interpreting Sucker Punch correctly though (i.e. there is possibly a genuine right answer for Sucker Punch's story if MovieBob's interpretation was somehow verified (e.g. by Snyder himself) and isn't simply Bob's wishful thinking), in which case you are technically wrong about the utter shallowness of Snyder (given that Snyder himself wrote it) - Bob's interpretation (whether you respect him or not) is clearly not shallow. I'm certainly willing to give Snyder the benefit of the doubt on this, although I am no fan of Sucker Punch as such (but for other reasons). For me personally the jury is still out on Synder's skill as film maker - he certainly displays a flair for visuals.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:37 pm
Director

since the Snyder story was false, not entirely sure about the accuracy of this:

Quote:
J.J. Abrams will direct the next "Star Wars" film for Disney, taking stewardship of one of Hollywood's most iconic and lucrative film franchises, an individual with knowledge of the production told TheWrap.

"Argo" director Ben Affleck was also in contention, another individual with knowledge of the talks told TheWrap.

Ever since Disney bought Lucasfilm last year and announced it would make new "Star Wars" films, fans, members of the media and industry executives have speculated about which director would take the job. Abrams' name always came up, but he told Entertainment Weekly in November that he wasn't going to take the job.

He did say "Star Wars" was the first movie that "blew my mind" in terms of special effects.

Lucasfilm Chief Kathleen Kennedy has been courting Abrams, one of the most successful directors and producers in Hollywood -- and a man beloved by fanboys. He runs one of the industry's top production companies, Bad Robot, and created or co-created television franchises like "Lost," "Fringe" and "Alias." He has also directed film spectacles "Mission: Impossible III," "Star Trek" and "Super 8."

The lure of the Jedi was too strong, and it will no doubt complicate his relationship with Paramount, where Bad Robot is a top supplier. Abrams has been feverishly working on "Star Trek Into Darkness," his second Star Trek film since he rebooted the franchise in 2009. "Into Darkness," still in post-production, opens May 18.

Though he has several producing jobs in front of him, Abrams had been uncommitted as a director. He will have to jump right into "Star Wars," which Disney has slated for a 2015 release. "Little Miss Sunshine" screenwriter Michael Arndt is penning the script.

Reached by TheWrap, Lynne Hale, spokeswoman for Lucasfilm, declined to comment immediately. Neither CAA, which represents Abrams, nor Bad Robot immediately responded to requests for comment.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:54 pm
Director

Quote:
Disney is anxiously awaiting a Jedi boost to its bottom line in 2015 when it releases the first of three new "Star Wars" pics that are on the drawing board. But those are not the only big-screen jewels that the Mouse House intends to mine from its $4 billion acquisition of Lucasfilm.

In an interview Tuesday with CNBC, Disney chief Bob Iger confirmed the rampant speculation among "Star Wars" buffs that the Mouse is working on other stand-alone pics tied to the "Star Wars" mythos. Scribes Simon Kinberg and Lawrence Kasdan are working on projects that would not directly intersect with the storylines planned for the seventh, eighth and ninth installments of "Star Wars."

"We are in fact working on a few stand-alone films," Iger told CNBC's Julia Boorstin. "Larry Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are both working on films derived from great 'Star Wars' characters that are not part of the overall sag. So we plan to make 'Star Wars' 7, 8 and 9 over roughly a six-year period of time starting in 2015. But there are going to be a few other films released in that period of time too."

Iger noted that Kasdan, who has a long history with Lucasfilm as the screenwriter of "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi," is consulting with J.J. Abrams, who last month was formally attached as helmer of "Star Wars 7."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118065708/

Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:54 pm
Site Admin

calvero wrote:
Quote:
Disney is anxiously awaiting a Jedi boost to its bottom line in 2015 when it releases the first of three new "Star Wars" pics that are on the drawing board. But those are not the only big-screen jewels that the Mouse House intends to mine from its $4 billion acquisition of Lucasfilm.

In an interview Tuesday with CNBC, Disney chief Bob Iger confirmed the rampant speculation among "Star Wars" buffs that the Mouse is working on other stand-alone pics tied to the "Star Wars" mythos. Scribes Simon Kinberg and Lawrence Kasdan are working on projects that would not directly intersect with the storylines planned for the seventh, eighth and ninth installments of "Star Wars."

"We are in fact working on a few stand-alone films," Iger told CNBC's Julia Boorstin. "Larry Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are both working on films derived from great 'Star Wars' characters that are not part of the overall sag. So we plan to make 'Star Wars' 7, 8 and 9 over roughly a six-year period of time starting in 2015. But there are going to be a few other films released in that period of time too."

Iger noted that Kasdan, who has a long history with Lucasfilm as the screenwriter of "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi," is consulting with J.J. Abrams, who last month was formally attached as helmer of "Star Wars 7."

I smell oversaturation coming. I'm not a believer that the market can handle too much STAR WARS. At some point, people will get tired of it, and there' s not nearly as much pent-up demand post-prequels. Personally, I'm glad they'll be making the final trilogy, mainly because I'm interested to see where things go. I'm not at all interested in side movies and stand-alone stories set in the SW universe. (Although I might become a little more interested if the film was something along the lines of a sophisticated political drama - say, for example, a chronology of Darth Vader's reign of terror between Episodes 3 and 4.)

As for the Kasdan excitement, I'm wary. I know he provided some great contributions to EMPIRE but it has never been clear how important his input was. (Different sources tell different stories.) Plus, that was *30* years ago when Kasdan was at (or near) his creative peak. He hasn't done much of note in about 20 years and some of his most recent efforts have been downright dismal.

One of the things that keeps many movie franchises hot is the relative scarcity of product. The more STAR WARS we see, the less "special" it will be and the less likely people will be to go out of their way to see the movies. Disney's stated approach may not kill the goose that lays the golden eggs but make her less important by devaluing the gold.

Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:23 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

James Berardinelli wrote:
calvero wrote:
Quote:

I smell oversaturation coming. I'm not a believer that the market can handle too much STAR WARS. At some point, people will get tired of it, and there' s not nearly as much pent-up demand post-prequels. Personally, I'm glad they'll be making the final trilogy, mainly because I'm interested to see where things go. I'm not at all interested in side movies and stand-alone stories set in the SW universe. (Although I might become a little more interested if the film was something along the lines of a sophisticated political drama - say, for example, a chronology of Darth Vader's reign of terror between Episodes 3 and 4.)

As for the Kasdan excitement, I'm wary. I know he provided some great contributions to EMPIRE but it has never been clear how important his input was. (Different sources tell different stories.) Plus, that was *30* years ago when Kasdan was at (or near) his creative peak. He hasn't done much of note in about 20 years and some of his most recent efforts have been downright dismal.

One of the things that keeps many movie franchises hot is the relative scarcity of product. The more STAR WARS we see, the less "special" it will be and the less likely people will be to go out of their way to see the movies. Disney's stated approach may not kill the goose that lays the golden eggs but make her less important by devaluing the gold.

"sophisticated political drama"? Yoiu mean like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvJD9fHS8Hk?

Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:31 pm
Assistant Director

There can be such a thing as too much STAR WARS. We've seen it happen numerous times with superhero franchises. The longer you go, the more likely you are to have a colossal misstep, something truly laughable like BATMAN AND ROBIN or SPIDERMAN 3. (And no, I don't consider any of the three prequels in that category.)

Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:42 am
Director

KWRoss wrote:
There can be such a thing as too much STAR WARS. We've seen it happen numerous times with superhero franchises. The longer you go, the more likely you are to have a colossal misstep, something truly laughable like BATMAN AND ROBIN or SPIDERMAN 3. (And no, I don't consider any of the three prequels in that category.)

... which is why I feel they should just stick with the Skywalkers/Jedi/Sith narratives for the movies and deal with these other side stories in that long-proposed live action TV series Lucas was planning.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:34 am
Producer

http://www.avclub.com/articles/today-in ... ne:default

Potentially good news, but if Williams is willing to do the movie and they use Giacchino instead, I will find Abrams and personally drop him into the Pit of Carkoon*.

*I went through a lot of variations of this sentence that were considerably more gruesome before I settled on one that was unlikely to cause trouble with the authorities.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:12 pm
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/today-in-star-wars-rumors-john-williams-seems-pret,92667/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=standard-post:headline:default

Potentially good news, but if Williams is willing to do the movie and they use Giacchino instead, I will find Abrams and personally drop him into the Pit of Carkoon*.

*I went through a lot of variations of this sentence that were considerably more gruesome before I settled on one that was unlikely to cause trouble with the authorities.

If Williams is alive and willing to score the movie, he absolutely should be the guy to do it.

That said, Giacchino is a pretty outstanding composer in his own right, which the article fails to point out (and even takes a pot shot at him). He'd likely do an excellent job. His Super 8 score, like most of that movie, is a solid homage to the Spielberg/Williams classics, and his Star Trek score pays fine tribute to Goldsmith's work. That doesn't even take his wonderful, more original scores for Pixar movies into consideration.

My point is that Giacchino is great, and this article sucks for not giving him credit and taking shots at him, despite making a point so obvious that no one would argue with it in the first place.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:20 pm
Second Unit Director

As hard as it is to wish against John Williams..ever..I'm hoping he doesn't decide to work on this trilogy. I think the new trilogy needs to be something vastly different, with a different score. If it ends up being a big attempt at recreating what already exists it will just piss me off. Mind you, I've been a pissy whiny baby about it for months now anyway, I don't expect much to change.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:41 pm
Director

Well, I for one want the people who make these next movies to be look and feel as close to the first 6 installments as possible. So if Williams is willing to participate, then he definitely should.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:19 am
Producer

Gedmud wrote:
As hard as it is to wish against John Williams..ever..I'm hoping he doesn't decide to work on this trilogy. I think the new trilogy needs to be something vastly different, with a different score. If it ends up being a big attempt at recreating what already exists it will just piss me off. Mind you, I've been a pissy whiny baby about it for months now anyway, I don't expect much to change.

John Williams might just be the difference between a Star Wars movie and a movie with the Star Wars name attached to it.

That goes for the movies that already exist, too.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:23 am
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
a movie with the Star Wars name attached to it.

I fully expect this to be reality, with or without Williams. Obviously he will make an enormous difference, but in the end it will just be another JJ Abrams movie with a Star Wars title.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:12 pm
Site Admin

Gedmud wrote:
Ken wrote:

I fully expect this to be reality, with or without Williams. Obviously he will make an enormous difference, but in the end it will just be another JJ Abrams movie with a Star Wars title.

In my view, JJ is a bad choice. I'll write a ReelThought discussing my reasoning in the near future.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:35 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

Gedmud wrote:
Ken wrote:

In my view, JJ is a bad choice. I'll write a ReelThought discussing my reasoning in the near future.

I don't think he's a bad choice, but he's definitely a safe choice.

I think the franchise needs to be bold and pick an up-and-comer with something to prove. Examples would be like when Chris Nolan was picked to direct Batman Begins, when James Cameron picked to direct Aliens and when Kenneth Branagh was picked to direct Thor. Regardless of what you think of these guys and their films, they were at least inspired choices.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:33 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

calvero wrote:
Quote:

I agree that oversaturation is possible. Even Star Trek burned out about back in the early 2000's with Nemesis bombing at the box office and with Enterprise getting cancelled.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:35 pm
Auteur

Gedmud wrote:
Ken wrote:

All things considered I think he's a pretty good choice, not my first pick, but i'm sure he'll do well with the material.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:36 pm
Director

Ken wrote:
Gedmud wrote:
John Williams might just be the difference between a Star Wars movie and a movie with the Star Wars name attached to it.

That goes for the movies that already exist, too.

I'm assuming you're referring to the prequels... which I honestly thought, in spite of being much more hi-tech, still felt very true to the SW universe we came to know in the originals. :ugeek: But I'm sure Abrams realizes that, unlike with "Star Trek" (which he was rebooting rather than continuing), he has an obligation to not deviate too far from the first 6 movies in terms of style and tone.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:35 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next