Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:56 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
December 23, 2012: Episode VII 
Auteur

Post Re: December 23, 2012: Episode VII
Ken wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Will people realize that most of the SW fandumb are those who defend Lucas like he's a god who can't do anything wrong
For purposes of differentiation, I refer to these people as "unicorns".

Ragnarok73 wrote:
If the new films turn out to be good ones, is it fair to call them "cash grabs" anymore than it would be fair to call, say, the LoTR films cash grabs?
Perhaps more fair than any of us can know.

I would definitely call the Hobbit films cash grabs.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:32 am
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Will people realize that most of the SW fandumb are those who defend Lucas like he's a god who can't do anything wrong
For purposes of differentiation, I refer to these people as "unicorns".

Why not? They prefer to live in fantasy than in reality, like their namesakes.

Ken wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
If the new films turn out to be good ones, is it fair to call them "cash grabs" anymore than it would be fair to call, say, the LoTR films cash grabs?
Perhaps more fair than any of us can know.

If they provide quality entertainment, I'll gladly give them my money because they've actually done something to earn it, as crazy as that sounds.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:47 am
Producer

At the risk of making a circular argument, the fact that these things make money would seem to indicate that they did something to earn it, as opposed to nothing. Though many moviegoers are loathe to admit it, they vote what they want with their wallets and the financiers are all ears.

By any reasonable definition, cranking out a half-dozen movies in as many years in order to make good on a $4B investment is a cash grab, irrespective of quality. I don't expect that they'll be much good, but I'll give them a fair shot, just like I gave the previous three. No frothing at the mouth for either side of the argument required.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:13 am
Producer

Michael Giacchino has stated his position on the score for the new Star Wars.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:18 am
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
At the risk of making a circular argument, the fact that these things make money would seem to indicate that they did something to earn it, as opposed to nothing. Though many moviegoers are loathe to admit it, they vote what they want with their wallets and the financiers are all ears.

I understand- you're referring to the concept that many fans would rather have a crappy film in their beloved franchise than no film at all. That is a good example of the "fandumb" you made mention of earlier. I am not one of those fans, however. I do not plan to give some film my money simply because of what franchise it happens to belong to. I plan to give the film my money if it turns out to be a good one, at least for me.

Ken wrote:
By any reasonable definition, cranking out a half-dozen movies in as many years in order to make good on a $4B investment is a cash grab, irrespective of quality. I don't expect that they'll be much good, but I'll give them a fair shot, just like I gave the previous three. No frothing at the mouth for either side of the argument required.

If at least half of those films turn out to be mediocre at best, I will totally agree that it's a cash grab. For me, quality determines whether that label fits. I don't plan on going to see any of them in a theater (and thus give them money) unless the buzz on them from critics is good.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:25 am
Second Unit Director

Quote:
I'm just glad I won't have to hear people whining incessantly about how "Lucas" ruined the franchise anymore.

That will rely on the assumption that Disney will do worse or even more objectionably give fans something too different than what they are use to or expect.Making us look back fondly but illogically to the Lucas era. I think Lucas bungled the film series by not following a Disney model or at least a James Bond schedule. Great merchandiser but proved to be a rather poor producer and director since the 00's started and that will stick. One sad note is Disney closed down LucasArts software studio cancelling all their new games. Too bad as they did good work.

Quote:
I would definitely call the Hobbit films cash grabs.

One could call all movies cash grabs as that is the reason investors and financiers put money in the hands of producers and directors. It would be interesting to come up a description in what constitutes a cash grab and what doesn't. Some examples is pointlessly rebooting a film like Amazing Spiderman for no other reason that Sony legally has to,splitting the last chapter of a series into two movies like Twilight or creating a franchise trilogy where a single movie would have sufficed like the triple charged Hobbit fans can attest. Another is the Original Series Star Trek movies where Paramount skimped on everything like budget,B list actors and directors knowing and hoping the fans would come no matter the quality.Amazing that any of the movies worked. Last is the grand old Hollywood tradition of milking a series dry for every penny. It is going to be a challenge for Disney to make movies that have fans wanting more rather than evoking the law of diminishing returns but Marvel has proven it can work if done right in the last few years.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:02 pm
Director

Quote:
J.J. Abrams is beaming up Dan Mindel to a galaxy far, far away, as the "Star Trek" cinematographer revealed Thursday that he's been hired to shoot "Star Wars: Episode VII" -- on 35mm film, even -- for Disney and LucasFilm.

Kodak's Lorette Bayle asked Mindel about his involvement in the hush-hush project during an event at the ASC Club House that was attended by a writer for BobaFettFanClub.com, which first reported the news.

Mindel will shoot on 35mm film, and more specifically (since "Star Wars" fans are sticklers for details), on Kodak film stock 5219. The two most recent "Star Wars" prequels were shot on digital, which was still a fledgling technology when George Lucas chose to use it.

The cinematographer did not say whether Abrams intends to include his trademark lens flares in "Star Wars: Episode VII."

Mindel first worked with Abrams on "Mission: Impossible III" before reteaming with the director for "Star Trek" and this year's sequel "Star Trek Into Darkness." Disney has trusted him with its tentpole properties before, as Mindel also served as director of photography on "John Carter," which looked great despite losing millions of dollars for the studio.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column-po ... ilm-112771

Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:39 pm
Producer

While they're giving out details, what brand of tripod and dolly track will they be using? I need to know.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:58 pm
Director

Quote:
Mindel will shoot on 35mm film, and more specifically (since "Star Wars" fans are sticklers for details), on Kodak film stock 5219. The two most recent "Star Wars" prequels were shot on digital, which was still a fledgling technology when George Lucas chose to use it.

The cinematographer did not say whether Abrams intends to include his trademark lens flares in "Star Wars: Episode VII."

Let's hope not. Abrams can still put his own personal stamp on the film without resorting to gimmicks. But it's still gotta look and feel like the first 6 movies.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:16 pm
Producer

Teaser clip from the live-action Star Wars TV show that briefly in production before the Disney sale.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:52 pm
Producer

Well, that got taken down about five minutes after I posted it, but here's the original teaser trailer from The Empire Strikes Back (shown in theaters in 1979) along with some interesting shenanigans from Anthony Daniels.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:47 am
Second Unit Director

Post J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan rewriting Episode VII script
What do you think of this news?

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/10/24/star-wars-episode-vii-j-j-abrams-and-lawrence-kasdan-now-rewriting-screenplay-breaking/

Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:44 pm
Auteur

Post Re: J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan rewriting Episode VII script

What's so unusual about a script being re-written? That's extremely common with films, it's pretty rare for a script NOT to have at least one re-write.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:43 pm
Site Admin

This concerns me. Kasdan in particular. The guy used to be great but he has written two films this century: DREAMCATCHER was awful and DARLING COMPANION was unwatchable. Maybe he can turn back the clock but I'm wary.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:29 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Assuming they're using Lucas' basic storyline for Episodes VII-IX (which his biographer has said on record he considers the best of all 4 trilogies -- yes, there's apparently an Episode X-XII arc as well :shock: ), I don't think it's that big of a deal. I've grown accustomed to the largely functional dialogue of the prequels. In SW movies, the characters are in total service of the story, not vice versa. But I'm sure there will be more colorful characters in this trilogy, as opposed to just the stoic Jedi and guarded politicians that almost entirely made up the prequels.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:35 pm
Auteur

James Berardinelli wrote:

This concerns me. Kasdan in particular. The guy used to be great but he has written two films this century: DREAMCATCHER was awful and DARLING COMPANION was unwatchable. Maybe he can turn back the clock but I'm wary.

I'm not too worried as personally I really dug Dreamcatcher, haven't seen Darling Companion though, but it looks more forgettable then outright bad.

Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:15 am
Second Unit Director

Abrams agrees with the 4 rules to making Star Wars Great Again Youtube video. Does that suppose it became something else along the way?

http://blogs.canoe.ca/projectionist/movies/j-j-abrams-says-hes-okay-with-4-rules-to-make-star-wars-great-again/

Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:33 pm
Producer

Most Star Wars fans, when asked for their opinion, will give you a very superficial understanding of what makes Star Wars great.

J.J. Abrams, when asked to make a Star Trek movie, will give you a movie with a very superficial understanding of what makes Star Trek great.

So, meh.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:41 pm
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
Most Star Wars fans, when asked for their opinion, will give you a very superficial understanding of what makes Star Wars great.

J.J. Abrams, when asked to make a Star Trek movie, will give you a movie with a very superficial understanding of what makes Star Trek great.

So, meh.

That is very true but there is subtle difference in Abrams statements that is curious. With Star Trek he said he hated the show and he trashed the canon and made a movie that He would want to watch. Now with Star Wars it is all about keeping it true and sticking to what made it great in the first place. Not I didn't get Star Wars and I am going to trash the canon and make my own kind of movie. Funny level of reverence from a man who destroyed the planet Vulcan to poke fans in the eye.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:43 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Episode VII to open December 18, 2015
What do you think of this release date? I think all the previous films opened in May.

http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-epis ... -2015.html

With pre-production in full-swing, a confirmed release date of December 18, 2015, has been set for Lucasfilm's highly anticipated Star Wars: Episode VII.

"We're very excited to share the official 2015 release date for Star Wars: Episode VII, where it will not only anchor the popular holiday filmgoing season but also ensure our extraordinary filmmaking team has the time needed to deliver a sensational picture," said Alan Horn, chairman of The Walt Disney Studios.

Star Wars: Episode VII will be directed by J.J. Abrams (Super 8, Mission: Impossible III, Star Trek) and is being scripted by Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan (Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi). Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Bryan Burk are producing, with Tommy Harper (Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, Jack Ryan, Star Trek Into Darkness) and Jason McGatlin (Tintin, War of the Worlds) serving as executive producers. John Williams is returning to score Star Wars: Episode VII.

Shooting is scheduled to begin spring 2014 at Pinewood Studios.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:09 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next