Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:35 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
August 28, 2012: "FAQ: Addendum" 
Post Re: August 28, 2012: "FAQ: Addendum"
Interestingly enough, there's quite a few "Republicans against Romney" groups, several of which claim they would rather vote for Obama, because they know Romney is a fake, trying to condemn your own healthcare bill dosen't make you look good.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:35 am
Site Admin

Ken wrote:
Unless I've misunderstood him over the years, JB seems to be economically right-of-center and socially libertarian. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong. Given that, I'd bet that he'd agree with what most of us here seem to think: our government has no business treating non-heterosexuals as second-class citizens.

You haven't misunderstood me. Fiscally, I'm right-of-center. I believe the debt needs to be shrunk by massive across-the-board cuts. Entitlements have to be dealt with in an intelligent way. The defense budget, the other scared cow, also has to be greatly reduced. Why the hell do we have so many overseas bases? We need a military that can defend the country in a time of crises, but we have to stop trying to be the world's police. It's gutting us financially.

There are actually a few things in the Republican platform I could get behind (such as energy self-sufficiency) but I don't believe any of those will actually be pursued.

Socially, I'm liberal. So, yes, I'm in favor of gay marriage. I'm strongly pro-choice until the fetus is viable. After that, I consider abortion to be murder. (We can argue about the age at which a fetus is viable, but it seems to be around 20 weeks.)

Sadly, however, I can see only two ways to escape the current hyper-polarization and special interest uber-power:

(1) A charismatic, truly independent individual becomes president. (Santa Claus will be his Secretary of State.)
(2) A national or world disaster of major proportions that forces everyone to put aside petty interests. It would be a real tragedy if it comes to this, but we might be headed down this road. (Climate change could well provide the engine for something along these lines.)

Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Raf wrote:
So James, what's your opinion on people who say they come to your website just for the forum since they believe that you've lost you're edge in your writing.

Not much I can say, can I? I will admit it's hard to keep an edge when reviewing a constant stream of mediocre movies. If people no longer find the reviews entertaining/interesting/informative, it wouldn't make sense for them to keep reading.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:34 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

oakenshield32 wrote:
The thing that perplexes me is how will Jackson incorporate all that material into the trilogy. Will he intersperse it through the three movies or will one whole film be about the side story. It is hard to say if that is a good decision storywise or not to stretch it out to three films but it sure will be profitable as the essay pointed out with an extra movie bringing at least half a billion dollars to Warner Brothers at a minimum. It must have the bean counters at the studio giddy with delight.

Based on what I understand, the first movie will be largely unchanged from how it was envisioned before the three movie decision. What Jackson has done is primarily split movie #2 into two pieces. The first will focus on Smaug. The second will focus on the Battle of the Five Armies. The additional material will be used to beef up these films.

In theory, I still prefer the original idea: Movie #1 would be an adaptation of THE HOBBIT and Movie #2 would take the additional information and provide a bridge to THE LORD OF THE RINGS.

But we'll see how it all turns out. Maybe I'll love it.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:41 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Vexer wrote:
Interestingly enough, there's quite a few "Republicans against Romney" groups, several of which claim they would rather vote for Obama, because they know Romney is a fake, trying to condemn your own healthcare bill dosen't make you look good.

It's not just the health care flip flop that stinks about Romney. Do you know how a business like Bain Capital works? I suspect most don't. And if most Americans did, Romney would lose this election, and lose in a way that makes McGovern and Mondale's losses look like tight races by comparison.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:25 pm
Since we're talking about "The Hobbit", it has been confirmed part 3 will be released July 2014. Consider the fact part 1 and 2 will be released December 2012 and December 2013. Also consider the fact the three LOTR releases each had a December release.

I'm wondering why have the last film come out during July instead of Decemeber? Is this to attempt to slay the summer ? I've never considered the LOTR films to be summer blockbuster types of films. It just feels weird to me to have all these films come out in December and have the last one come out in July.

http://news.yahoo.com/release-date-thir ... 41018.html

Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:11 am
Site Admin

ck100 wrote:
Since we're talking about "The Hobbit", it has been confirmed part 3 will be released July 2014. Consider the fact part 1 and 2 will be released December 2012 and December 2013. Also consider the fact the three LOTR releases each had a December release.

I'm wondering why have the last film come out during July instead of Decemeber? Is this to attempt to slay the summer ? I've never considered the LOTR films to be summer blockbuster types of films. It just feels weird to me to have all these films come out in December and have the last one come out in July.

http://news.yahoo.com/release-date-thir ... 41018.html

It's because of the split. WB felt that because parts 2 & 3 are essentially one long movie broken into two pieces, they wanted to limit the time in between, and Jackson doesn't need a full year to get the final part ready. It's essentially the same strategy they employed for the final Harry Potter movie. I suspect it probably also has something to do with them wanting a big summer entry in 2014.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:10 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

James Berardinelli wrote:
oakenshield32 wrote:
The thing that perplexes me is how will Jackson incorporate all that material into the trilogy. Will he intersperse it through the three movies or will one whole film be about the side story. It is hard to say if that is a good decision storywise or not to stretch it out to three films but it sure will be profitable as the essay pointed out with an extra movie bringing at least half a billion dollars to Warner Brothers at a minimum. It must have the bean counters at the studio giddy with delight.

Based on what I understand, the first movie will be largely unchanged from how it was envisioned before the three movie decision. What Jackson has done is primarily split movie #2 into two pieces. The first will focus on Smaug. The second will focus on the Battle of the Five Armies. The additional material will be used to beef up these films.

In theory, I still prefer the original idea: Movie #1 would be an adaptation of THE HOBBIT and Movie #2 would take the additional information and provide a bridge to THE LORD OF THE RINGS.

But we'll see how it all turns out. Maybe I'll love it.

Does splitting it into 3 movies bother you based on what the content demands, or the precedent it sets. I mean, how long is it before we get 9 parts to the film version of Mary Had a Little lamb with the remake coming out a year after the previous installment?

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:36 pm
Profile WWW
Gaffer

moviemkr7 wrote:
Hey if it becomes a bestseller, Hollywood may option it and he can give us the inside scoop of Hollywood!

For me, the most interesting part of that situation would be reading Mr. Berardinelli's review of the film adaptation of his book. I don't know if there are any rules about critics reviewing adaptations of their own work, but I can imagine that it would be difficult to provide an objective opinion under those circumstances.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:53 pm
Assistant Director

Thom20 wrote:

For me, the most interesting part of that situation would be reading Mr. Berardinelli's review of the film adaptation of his book. I don't know if there are any rules about critics reviewing adaptations of their own work, but I can imagine that it would be difficult to provide an objective opinion under those circumstances.

"Unfilmable. ImageImageImageImage" - James Berardinelli

Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:54 pm
Assistant Director

Raf wrote:
So James, what's your opinion on people who say they come to your website just for the forum since they believe that you've lost you're edge in your writing.

Not much I can say, can I? I will admit it's hard to keep an edge when reviewing a constant stream of mediocre movies. If people no longer find the reviews entertaining/interesting/informative, it wouldn't make sense for them to keep reading.

The solution is to stay home and review classic movies. Or royally bad ones like "Ben and Arthur." :P

Or convince studio heads to only produce GOOD movies lol

Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:50 am
Profile WWW
I don't know if James has ever answered this question, but I'll ask anyways:

James

Have you ever cried (or gotten emotional) when watching a film? If so, what film(s) drove you to tears (or close to them)?

Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:36 am
Site Admin

ck100 wrote:

James

Have you ever cried (or gotten emotional) when watching a film? If so, what film(s) drove you to tears (or close to them)?

FREDDY GOT FINGERED.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:44 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

ck100 wrote:

James

FREDDY GOT FINGERED.

Ahem...

CITY LIGHTS.
THE RETURN OF THE KING.
SOPHIE'S CHOICE.

There were probably others, but they escape me at the moment.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:48 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Not Precious or The War Zone?

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:23 pm
Profile WWW
Director

moviemkr7 wrote:

Precious did it for me. So did Million Dollar Baby.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:37 am
Assistant Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

OH COME ON! "Million Dollar Baby" was one of the most shamelessly manipulative movies the Oscars ever paid attention to. It tried way too hard to be "gritty" and "Groundbreaking," but every scene rang false. "Finding Neverland" or "Hotel Rwanda" (which wasn't even nominated) were much better.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:48 am
Profile WWW
moviemkr7 wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

OH COME ON! "Million Dollar Baby" was one of the most shamelessly manipulative movies the Oscars ever paid attention to. It tried way too hard to be "gritty" and "Groundbreaking," but every scene rang false. "Finding Neverland" or "Hotel Rwanda" (which wasn't even nominated) were much better.

Agreed, that film did almost nothing for me, I think Swnak's oscar win for that film was a fluke. I wasn't a huge fan of Precious either, that film also felt like it was trying way too hard for it's own good.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:51 am
Assistant Director

Million Dollar Baby, for all of its faults, is a really well-written movie. The drama feels organic, the acting is very good and it actually pulls off the amazing feat of being three movies for the price of one: the first half, the second half, the combination of the two that make the movie something completely different than either half. It's truly more than the sum of its parts! Shamelessly manipulative? Fuck that noise, as the kids say. Start a thread on 'movies that are shamelessly manipulative' and see what the people of this forum have to contribute. Terms of Endearment might fall into that category. Hell, I Saw The Devil is shamelessly manipulative and I loved that movie! It wouldn't have worked if it hadn't tried and successfully shamelessly manipulated me.

There is only room for one Mighty Mike on this forum and that Mighty Mike is Vexer.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:52 am
Mark III wrote:
Million Dollar Baby, for all of its faults, is a really well-written movie. The drama feels organic, the acting is very good and it actually pulls off the amazing feat of being three movies for the price of one: the first half, the second half, the combination of the two that make the movie something completely different than either half. It's truly more than the sum of its parts! Shamelessly manipulative? Fuck that noise, as the kids say. Start a thread on 'movies that are shamelessly manipulative' and see what the people of this forum have to contribute. Terms of Endearment might fall into that category. Hell, I Saw The Devil is shamelessly manipulative and I loved that movie! It wouldn't have worked if it hadn't tried and successfully shamelessly manipulated me.

There is only room for one Mighty Mike on this forum and that Mighty Mike is Vexer.

I wouldn't call it shamelessly manipulative, I just didn't find it very involving is all.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:03 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next