It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:52 am

July 18, 2012: "Christmas in Blockbusterland" 
Site Admin

Post July 18, 2012: "Christmas in Blockbusterland"
Click here to read topic.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:51 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: July 18, 2012: "Christmas in Blockbusterland"
Anticipation...ain't that the truth! Man, I bought a ticket to see The Waterboy just because it had a Phantom Menace preview in front of it.

I remembr quite a lot of anticipation for The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring; the studio did a great job of using the internet to gin up excitement for months and months leading up to the release. Not near Phantom Menace anticipation, but pretty close in certain circles.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:00 pm
I remember that the night that The Phantom Menace premiered, my local news station did a special on Star Wars, memorably including an in-universe explanation of how lightsabers work. How often does the local news do a special on anything?

Conversely, I also remember George Lucas doing a couple interviews in which he cautioned viewers not to get too hyped for the movie. I think he was starting to worry for the mental health of people who are willing to camp out on a sidewalk for weeks while in full Twi'ilek garb, but maybe he was also foreseeing the inevitable backlash.

I myself can't remember ever getting so hyped for a movie that I couldn't contain my excitement. I've definitely looked forward to movies that looked good, but it was always a tempered sort of anticipation. I think a lot of it has to do with the degree to which people get caught up in the event surrounding the movie, rather than the movie itself.

These days, cooking up an "event" is par for the course for marketing any movie. Cooking up a movie that is decent in itself sadly seems to be a much taller order.

Last edited by Ken on Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:14 pm
James Berardinelli wrote:

I don't know that I agree with you about people having fond memories about the buildup to TPM. In fact, in cases such as my own, it makes the buildup all the more sour as a memory since it culminated in such a disappointment. I still remember being angry as I left the theater following the end of the film and thinking, "I waited in line for tickets for THIS?!". TPM had the singular effect on me of completely destroying my ability to anticipate the release of anything (films, games, other products) without the tempering idea that it was going to be a disappointment. In this sense, I find that to actually be a benefit.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:15 pm
I'm doing a countdown for Expendables 2 and I couldn't care less about The Hobbit.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:26 pm
Second Unit Director

That was an interesting article about the difference between what we want to see on screen and what we actually get.I was thinking of the different kind of let downs there are when you go to the movies.The first is where everyone(critics and viewers) are raving about a movie saying it is the best movie since the invention of photography and when you see it you go meh.The one for me was Pan's Labyrinth which was just okay but nothing more.The second is hugely hyped sequels that fail to deliver which is the majority of the time.You sit and hope that the story will continue in a new,exciting and thrilling way and you start realizing after a few minutes your getting a weaker repetition of the original movie.The few exceptions that come to mind that exceeded the original was Empire Strikes Back,Aliens,Terminator 2,Wrath of Khan,Road Warrior and LoTR.The last let down is where a movie starts out going in a real interesting direction and then the story takes a turn into boring and derivative losing your complete attention. Prometheus and Avatar both started out strong but dull or bizarre second halves makes you feel that same deflation.

There are times though that movies exceed your expectations.The movies that wowed me back into my seat when I saw them on the big screen was Blade Runner,Excalibur,Gladiator and 300.The trailers could not have even hinted at how great those experiences would be.Sometimes Christmas does come more than once a year and you get your Red Ryder BB gun.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:36 pm
oakenshield32 wrote:
The first is where everyone(critics and viewers) are raving about a movie saying it is the best movie since the invention of photography and when you see it you go meh.The one for me was Pan's Labyrinth which was just okay but nothing more

I like you.....a lot. I'd like you even more if you put spaces between your sentences

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Cinematographer

Interesting article! In regarding whether the TDKR will beat The Avengers in the box office, may be pretty close for the weekend. The Cinema I went to see it was totally full and seemed booked out for days in advanced but in my view it has not chance in the long run, no only because the TDKR is not in 3D (as JB cleverly points out) but also because is very much male oriented, The Avengers was more accepted among ladies and definitely more suitable for kids. I personally had more fun with The Avengers throughout the whole movie rather that only the ending with the TDKR 8-)
Cheers

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:33 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

unwindfilms wrote:
Interesting article! In regarding whether the TDKR will beat The Avengers in the box office, may be pretty close for the weekend. The Cinema I went to see it was totally full and seemed booked out for days in advanced but in my view it has not chance in the long run, no only because the TDKR is not in 3D (as JB cleverly points out) but also because is very much male oriented, The Avengers was more accepted among ladies and definitely more suitable for kids. I personally had more fun with The Avengers throughout the whole movie rather that only the ending with the TDKR 8-)
Cheers

THE AVENGERS is a more fun movie. TDKR felt more substantial. I liked both but feel TDKR will stand up better on multiple viewings.

It is supposedly 95% sold out in IMAX for the first weekend and many of the only "open slots" are at 3 a.m. showings on Saturday and Sunday mornings. That's pretty incredible.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:38 am
Profile WWW
$100mil because of 3D. Does ANYONE care besides the studio's?

Which movie sold the most tickets? That's all anyone who cares about these types of numbers should care about.

Will Batman sell more tickets than Avengers? The Dark Knight didn't...

What are the top movies by number of tickets sold exclusively?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/ad ... r=1&p=.htm

Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:43 am
Cinematographer

James Berardinelli wrote:
unwindfilms wrote:
Cheers

THE AVENGERS is a more fun movie. TDKR felt more substantial. I liked both but feel TDKR will stand up better on multiple viewings.

It is supposedly 95% sold out in IMAX for the first weekend and many of the only "open slots" are at 3 a.m. showings on Saturday and Sunday mornings. That's pretty incredible.

Oh For me it will be the other way around. I will buy both blu rays thou, The Avengers in 3D of course and will probably watch more than one both. Very likely The Avengers a few times more as my daughters are a huge fan too, has more Super heroes and as we both agree it is more fun, finally the 3D was good (considering it was a conversion) . For the TDKR, if it were not for catwoman ;-),then I would not bother to watch the first 2/3 of the film as this post 9/11 related type of movies are not much entertainment for me these days (They were last decade thou). However, The main reason of buying the TDKR blu ray will be having the Batman's trilogy which hopefully I will schedule to see it in 3 nights in a row (one each) some time in the future 8-)

Cheers

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:17 pm
Profile WWW
I have to say, I was really rather hyped about TPM since it arrived just toward the end of the wave that was my second big SW 'thing'. My friend and I had planned to go and see it (we shared a rather geeky love of SW) but never got the chance, mostly because it was GCSE time at school. I ended up not seeing it until I bought the VHS on it's release day (remember those?)

LOTR wasn't really as much of a deal for me, as I was unfamiliar with the story (my knowledge of Tolkien was a graphic novel of the Hobbit). Seeing it for the first time pretty much sealed the deal on my openly being a 'total geek', something I'd kept quiet at school for obvious reasons.

The anticipation I had for the remaining two movies wasn't matched until Avengers. After the massive let down that was Order Of The Phoenix, even the HP movies didn't really interest me THAT much!

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:22 pm