It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:54 am

March 09, 2009: "1982" 
Site Admin

Post March 09, 2009: "1982"
Click here to read topic.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:55 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: March 09, 2009: "1982"
Good recap of '82. Wish you had more love for E.T. as a 14 year old. But you were a Trekkie...so you'll get a pass.

Can't wait till you reach '85. Back to the Future (one of my all time favs) must have been a part of your summer viewing!

Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:04 pm
Nice reviews coming up for '82, I really want to know what you have to say for Tootsie

Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:33 pm
Porky's crap? Oh, that hurts. Of course, I haven't watched it since its heyday - I'm almost afraid if I did it would spoil the good memories of it. I suppose it might turn out to be crap. But it was fun crap just the same.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:37 pm
E.T. underwhelmed you? Wow man, you're killing me. First Clash of the Titans, now E.T. Things I grew up with, man. Things I grew up with...

It's alright...like you said, nostalgia is a powerful thing.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:59 pm
Even though I figured your opinion of Porky's was bad, I'm still kinda disappointed that we won't be seeing a review, if only because I'm a Bob Clark fan (you can't deny his versatility, when you consider that his three most popular flicks were a Christmas family comedy, a horror flick (also set around Christmas), and a teen-sex comedy......although he did also direct the Baby Geniuses flicks, so I'll admit that not everything he did was gold).

Last edited by MTRodaba2468 on Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:25 pm
The Last American Virgin still holds my top spot for the worst ending ever. Like many people I saw it for the first time on HBO, and I still remember swearing at the television screen as the credits were rolling.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:24 am
Very interesting that JB thinks that E.T. is overrated! I didn't even see E.T. because the idea of cuddly extraterrestial nice-guys without tentacles or fangs didn't sit well with my 10 year old self at the time. I still haven't watched E.T. properly to this day.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:16 am
Site Admin

Bondurant wrote:
Can't wait till you reach '85. Back to the Future (one of my all time favs) must have been a part of your summer viewing!

Yep. It will be one of the films I review for '85.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:04 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

edhorch wrote:
The Last American Virgin still holds my top spot for the worst ending ever. Like many people I saw it for the first time on HBO, and I still remember swearing at the television screen as the credits were rolling.

That's because the ending defies conventions. There are a lot of things I don't like about the movie (in particular, the acting, which is pretty uniformly awful), but (without getting specific) I appreciated the fact that the director had the guts to end the film the way it would likely play out in real life. More to come in the review...

Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:09 am
Profile WWW
Unke wrote:
Very interesting that JB thinks that E.T. is overrated!

Well, he did review it, so that takes the sting out of it for me :ugeek:

I was flaber-gasted to see you pick 'Sophie's Choice' as best film of 82', in the 'wow, that's not Blade Runner' kind of way. Still, great film, and some of those scenes in the mid-section of the film are painful.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:57 am
Personally, I can't wait to see what he'll do for 1983 since that was when I was born. This is sooooooo cool that he's doing this 80's retrospective!!!!

Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:46 pm
I haven't seen Star Trek II in many years. I remember loving it. But I was young then. I wonder if it will hold up now. Probably will.

I'm jealous of you. You seem to have a few movies that you saw a many many times in the theater, or otherwise. I don't have any like that. Its not that I've never been overjoyed about a movie. I either haven't had the money to do it, the friends who wanted to, or probably the desire. I rarely watch movies more than once. At home, my DVDs are mainly good movies that are fun to turn on and watch. One's that don't require an attentive viewer. For example, the Gladiator, Black Hawk Dawn, Thin Red Line, Top Gun's of the world (not just military films).

I've seen a few movies two times at a theater. They include (of those I remember doing so), in order: Hackers, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, 300, and The Dark Knight. Maybe its a good thing. I'm now 30, so I doubt I'll ever do it. But hey, maybe one of these days I'll see a movie 3 times in the theater. I should have done it for the Lord of the Rings movies.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:57 pm
You consider 'The Thin Red Line' a fun movie? I have been going about movies all wrong :) Why didn't you guys tell me!

Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:28 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Unke wrote:
Very interesting that JB thinks that E.T. is overrated!

I was flaber-gasted to see you pick 'Sophie's Choice' as best film of 82', in the 'wow, that's not Blade Runner' kind of way.

That's probably the funniest thing I've heard all day (no sarcasm intended). I've only seen Blade Runner: The Final Cut, and even though it's the definitive cut, it didn't do much for me. Still, I bought the big Blu-ray metal piece of suitcase and intend to have myself a marathon one of these days. On a side-note, Sophie's Choice is probably in my top 100.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:14 pm
Wow where has the time gone?.....27 years ago....I think Fast Times At Ridgemont High is the greatest teen movie ever made and is still laugh out loud as funny now as it was then....and like I have told people for years the casting people on that movie did the greatest job in the history of movies...They cast alot of people that would become future stars and several that went on to become Oscar-Nominated and future Oscar Winners..by my count..

Sean Penn 2 time-winner
Nic Cage once
Forest Whitaker once

Also going on to stardom were Anthony Edwards..Jennifer Jason Leigh...Judge Reinhold..Phoebe Cates

As for The Last American Virgin the ending still haunts 27 years later....like a gut -shot the first time you see it and it never gets any easier...Depending on my mood when I see it even today I either get angry or tear up...I know it's coming and it still affects me...A major studio in this day and age would never release a movie with an ending like that in a 1000 years!!...

Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:42 pm
James Berardinelli wrote:
edhorch wrote:

That's because the ending defies conventions. There are a lot of things I don't like about the movie (in particular, the acting, which is pretty uniformly awful), but (without getting specific) I appreciated the fact that the director had the guts to end the film the way it would likely play out in real life. More to come in the review...

I agree. The end was the best part and a shocker.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:09 am
Gaffer

Well, in 1982 I was 10 and the mind of a 10 year old works differently from that of a 14 year old.

I saw ET and was overwhelmed. It is one of the movies that got me into watching movies in general.

But when I saw it again several years later, it didn't like it as much as I thought I would.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:02 pm
> I nodded off while sitting in my neighbor's easy chair
> with the dog at my feet and awoke to find Harry Hamlin
> fighting Medusa

James, just wanted you to know my wife and I pee'd our pants reading this line. Been there! LOL

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:27 pm
James Berardinelli wrote:
edhorch wrote:

Agreed. The movie (which I like, despite it being quite flawed) is memorable almost solely due to it's ending.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:00 pm