Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:41 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
February 07, 2012: "Don't Worry, Be Happy" 
Author Message
Post Re: February 07, 2012: "Don't Worry, Be Happy"
Dragonbeard wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Dragonbeard wrote:
You're entirely right; self-righteous indignation (such as that displayed in reaction to Lucas) is just so entertaining, let them go at it :)

Douchebag responses like yours only add to the fun. Whoops, I guess the term in the UK would be "right twat" or "wanker".


Actually the term is a 'scallywag' or 'ragamuffin'. It's also what the Guv' calls me when he catches me with my hand in his sky rocket trying to hitch his kettle.

Anyway, keep yer Alans on ;)

Sounds like "poof" would be a more appropriate term.


Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:50 pm
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3151
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: February 07, 2012: "Don't Worry, Be Happy"
oakenshield32 wrote:
The whole thing about the awards is that your making an assumption that they reward the right people at the right time for the best project.Just ask Martin Scorsese,John Wayne or Al Pacino.There was a director I believe who's art movie lost to a raunchy comedy about a old guys hockey league team and ranted that awards shows were popularity contests.Duh.They are industry awards the same kind that go builders,venders,architects,advertisers and cars.I am sure there are people who are up in arms over who is Car of the Year.Check out who gets nominated for awards like Cannes,Genies or Cesars and you can see they are not much better at times.There is a lot of politics in those decisions and I believe the average voting age for the Academy is something like 70 years old which probably says a lot of why certain things get nominated in the first place or ignored.

That leads people to say I don't understand how that guy didn't get nominated.The example used was Micheal Fassbender who is not English but born in Germany and grew up in Ireland.Interesting mistake like calling Kenneth Branagh and Richard Burton English or Napoleon French.


Two points:

(1) You obviously missed the following sentence: "Once again, it must be remembered that the nominees, like the winners, achieve their status for three reasons: quality, marketing, and politics."
(2) There is a reason, however inaccurate, that I called Fassbender "English." Yes, it's a cheat, but a few people figured out why I cheated.


Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:41 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: February 07, 2012: "Don't Worry, Be Happy"
Napoleon was French...

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Sounds like "poof" would be a more appropriate term.


Touché, it honestly didn't sound quite as homoerotic when I was typing it!


Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:55 pm
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3151
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: February 07, 2012: "Don't Worry, Be Happy"
James Berardinelli wrote:
haynesm wrote:
I counted 22, but suspect I missed several...


I think it's 26, unless I missed several (or miscounted)... :)

I'll post a full list here in a few days.


Thought for sure someone else would have done the heavy lifting by now. The final count, I think, is 27 (or 28, if THE ARTIST wins this year). They are:

In the Heat of the Night
American Beauty
Calvalcade
Sunrise
Titanic
Gone with the Wind
Hamlet
(The) Sting
Crash
Rocky
The Apartment
The Lost Weekend
Unforgiven
The Greatest Show on Earth
Going My Way
(The) Departed
Ordinary People
Annie Hall
An American in Paris
It Happened One Night
Chicago
The French Connection
A Man for All Seasons
The English Patient
The Sound of Music
The Best Years of Our Lives
You Can't Take it with You
The Artist?


Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
Gaffer

Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:40 pm
Posts: 20
Location: Long Island, NY
Post Re: February 07, 2012: "Don't Worry, Be Happy"
James Berardinelli wrote:
James Berardinelli wrote:
haynesm wrote:
I counted 22, but suspect I missed several...


I think it's 26, unless I missed several (or miscounted)... :)

I'll post a full list here in a few days.


Thought for sure someone else would have done the heavy lifting by now. The final count, I think, is 27 (or 28, if THE ARTIST wins this year). They are:

In the Heat of the Night
American Beauty
Calvalcade
Sunrise
Titanic
Gone with the Wind
Hamlet
(The) Sting
Crash
Rocky
The Apartment
The Lost Weekend
Unforgiven
The Greatest Show on Earth
Going My Way
(The) Departed
Ordinary People
Annie Hall
An American in Paris
It Happened One Night
Chicago
The French Connection
A Man for All Seasons
The English Patient
The Sound of Music
The Best Years of Our Lives
You Can't Take it with You
The Artist?


After reading your ReelThoughts entry and realizing some of your phrasings were awkwardly worded it dawned on me why. I had just compiled a list and then got to the forum and saw you beat me to it. I came to this ReelThought a day late. I missed American Beauty and Hamlet initially. Sunrise is not technically an Academy Best Picture winner. And you typed "man of all seasons" instead of "man for all seasons."

And did you intentionally include three non-best picture winning movie titles?
Same Time, Next Year
A Night to Remember
Glory

anyway, nice little easter eggs.

_________________
You can read another review of this film in addition to other writings on film at http://movielistmania.blogspot.com


Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:33 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:52 pm
Posts: 274
Location: North Carolina
Post Re: February 07, 2012: "Don't Worry, Be Happy"
OK, I admit it: I totally missed this. I just thought JB was high on flu medicine when he wrote this piece.


Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:52 am
Profile
Gaffer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:22 pm
Posts: 13
Post Re: February 07, 2012: "Don't Worry, Be Happy"
Ohh, how did I miss this? Brilliant!


Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:21 pm
Profile
Gaffer

Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:42 pm
Posts: 40
Post Re: February 07, 2012: "Don't Worry, Be Happy"
James Berardinelli wrote:
haynesm wrote:
I counted 22, but suspect I missed several...


I think it's 26, unless I missed several (or miscounted)... :)

I'll post a full list here in a few days.


I thought you guys were talking about the more than two dozen choices for #1 film of 2012. Now I know better.


Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:12 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:11 pm
Posts: 417
Post Re: February 07, 2012: "Don't Worry, Be Happy"
Quote:
Napoleon was French...


No he was an ethnic Italian who was born in Corsica till it was annexed by the French from Genoa.He could not speak French when he was sent to military school in France by his father and always spoke it afterwards with an accent.There is still to this day violent Coriscan nationalists much like the Basques who want to see the French gone.

Quote:
(1) You obviously missed the following sentence: "Once again, it must be remembered that the nominees, like the winners, achieve their status for three reasons: quality, marketing, and politics."


No I didn't miss that point but your over thinking the idea and giving the Academy voters more credit than they deserve as they rarely watch any of the films they nominate so a popularity contest like a high school student council is simply more apt and to the point.If the Artist wins surely it won't be because it is a marketing juggernaut or it has the right kind of politics as there is none in it.If it wins it is because it is an audience pleaser and plays to the bias of an Academy since is it about their hometown and their industry.The same goes for Crash which surely didn't have quality or marketing going for it over Brokeback Mountain as could be attested to the stunned silence in the auditorium and delayed muted applause when it was read out.Oh I forgot it was about life in L.A. our hometown what a coincidence.

Quote:
(2) There is a reason, however inaccurate, that I called Fassbender "English." Yes, it's a cheat, but a few people figured out why I cheated.


Is this going to be like the Greedo shot first thing?


Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:54 pm
Profile
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3151
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: February 07, 2012: "Don't Worry, Be Happy"
oakenshield32 wrote:
If the Artist wins surely it won't be because it is a marketing juggernaut or it has the right kind of politics as there is none in it.


"Politics" does not refer to politics in the outside world. It refers to internal Academy politics.


Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:29 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: February 07, 2012: "Don't Worry, Be Happy"
oakenshield32 wrote:
No he was an ethnic Italian who was born in Corsica till it was annexed by the French from Genoa.He could not speak French when he was sent to military school in France by his father and always spoke it afterwards with an accent.There is still to this day violent Coriscan nationalists much like the Basques who want to see the French gone.


Well it was annexed the very same year he was born... either way, I could say that I'm 'ethnically' Scottish, despite being born and raised in England to mixed Scottish/Scandinavian parentage. This doesn't stop my passport saying that I'm actually British ;)


Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:36 pm
Second Unit Director

Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:11 pm
Posts: 417
Post Re: February 07, 2012: "Don't Worry, Be Happy"
Quote:
Well it was annexed the very same year he was born... either way, I could say that I'm 'ethnically' Scottish, despite being born and raised in England to mixed Scottish/Scandinavian parentage. This doesn't stop my passport saying that I'm actually British


That is a pretty modern statement which is not true everywhere in the world even now.An example is Koreans who live in Japan who even if naturalized (who most are not) are not considered Japanese or real citizens which creates a hidden apartheid there.Napoleon grew up in Ancien Regime of the Bourbons where being French had more to do with strident racial nationalism and feudal privilege which counts aristocratic rank,family name and racial ancestry.Which may explain why at military academy he was mocked by noble French students for his foreign name(Napoleone di Buonaparte),his thick foreign accent,dark olive skin and chip on his shoulder Corsican patriotism.Please rent the excellent silent movie by Abel Gance which covers this period very vividly in the first part of the film.If the Bourbons had survived Napoleon would have remained an obscure foreign soldier never going above Captain who would have resigned to join and lead Corsican rebels instead.Except the Revolution came along with modern ideas like citizenship,equality,fraternity,universal human rights and meritocracy which saved Napoleon's career arc as a French icon who is not French.

Quote:
"Politics" does not refer to politics in the outside world. It refers to internal Academy politics


Knowing people who are painters,writers and actors I can say they sure are independent minded,over confident and hate politics as well people acting like politicians trying to play them.So could you come up with some examples of people or movie who have won or lost because of "office"politics instead of just the individual bias and preferences of each voter.The voters are not always informed or swayed by the buzz on the street instead of the calculating office politicians.The only Academy political conspiracy I can think of is robbing Rin Tin Tin of his Best Actor Oscar which says a lot of about the voters to my view.It also robbed us of the spectacle of Uggie the Dog beating George Clooney for Best Actor.It would have been funny to see him accept his award by rolling over and playing dead while George points to the stage and pretends to laugh at losing to a Jack Russell into the camera zoomed in on him.


Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:51 pm
Profile
Post Re: February 07, 2012: "Don't Worry, Be Happy"
oakenshield32 wrote:
Except the Revolution came along with modern ideas like citizenship,equality,fraternity,universal human rights and meritocracy which saved Napoleon's career arc as a French icon who is not French.


You forgot 'genocide' amongst other things ;)

And okay, I stand corrected. Shows my limited knowledge of the guy!


Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:01 am
Post Re: February 07, 2012: "Don't Worry, Be Happy"
I'm sure this is at least somewhat evident for those who've been here for some time, but the Oscars are, for better or worse, important to me. There's something kind of neat about them. However, I don't find importance in their prestige or politics.

Predicting the Oscars and Oscar nominations. That's what matters. I went 74/104 in the twenty-one non-short categories this year and look forward to the Beat Berardinelli contest. I'm not perfect, but... look.

There's an internal logic in folks like me that develops over time. It's the logic that separates George Clooney from Michael Fassbender from John Boyega. Everyone with a pulse knew George Clooney would get a nomination for his work in The Descendants. All you had to do was watch the fucking trailer. I put him in my nominations and didn't get burned because it made sense.

John Boyega is the opposite. Everyone with a pulse knew that Attack the Block wasn't going to get goddamn thing. There are a few reasons for that. Some might point to its early and limited theatrical release. A Better Life came out around the same time and made around the same amount of money, though, so I'm not sure I buy that argument exclusively. But what about his age, which hovers around 18 or so? That's a bigger handicap for sure, but young actors who play young characters that either act older or try to act older don't do so poorly here. (Ask Franco and Eisenberg.) Its biggest handicap might be its genre, but sci-fis, comedies, and sci-fi comedies have all performed at one point or another in various categories. (Low-budget British sci-fi comedies, on the other hand... that might two strikes, missed call, third strike you're out. :lol: ) The truth is, it's a combination of all of these things that lead normal folks and voters alike to think of it as a movie that's not fit for the Academy. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some voters that dug Attack the Block but didn't vote for it because it never stood a chance. Well, that's the mentality that keeps an independent from being President and me continuing to predict the Oscars. I didn't put him in my nominations and didn't get burned because it made sense.

Michael Fassbender on the other hand... that's complicated. James said two things I want to address, but the only one I'll get to now is this, "If someone had asked me to choose the best performance of 2011, I wouldn't have hesitated before saying 'Michael Fassbender.' Not nominated. But it's not a shock." He's right. It's not a shock. It's not a shock, but it stings a little. Just a tiny bit. It stings more because I love Shame and his performance, but the primary sting comes from the fact that a nomination for an auteurish sex-soaked NC-17 film was really, really possible. Anyone who claims that Michael Fassbender never had a chance is just plain wrong. He got nominated for a Globe, didn't he? [Some say the Globes kiss ass a little too much, but really, what are the Oscars if not a four-hour sequence of the most indulgent masturbation ever? And I know Michael bumped up his exposure some, but what do the HFPA owe this guy? That spot could have gone to Demian Bichir or Gary Oldman or even Ryan Gosling (Drive). I guess Drive's not an HFPA movie... but Shame is?] I'll get to what hurt Fassbender eventually, but the chance was there. If there's the littlest precursor attention for anyone there's a chance. There was also a chance of him failing and in prognostication you have to weigh the pros and cons. Sometimes it's hard to go against your man. Sometimes you just don't know. I put him in my nominations because it made sense, but got burned. Sometimes you get burned.

I learn something new every year about the process of nominating and who ends up winning. This year, two things in particular hit home. The first and most important thing is that the Academy likes films that make them feel good. This is what led to excess, important nominations for War Horse, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, A Better Life, and Bridesmaids. Likewise, this is what led to snubs for Shame in all categories, J. Edgar in all categories, Drive in most categories, and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo in picture and director. And that's really what hurt Fassbender the most. The NC-17 is one thing, but voters coming out of Shame feeling dirty and crappy is another. I also learned that a SAG snub can be pretty damning. No Fassbender (or Oldman), no Woodley, no Brooks. The Academy doesn't have to agree with them completely, of course, as Oldman and von Sydow wiggled their way in over DiCaprio and Hammer. But man it's hard to recover. Recovering requires a lot of external things going your way. (Like a snub for the prior film's lead actress maybe. Mara vs. Swinton is a tough call, but I have my theories. Some other time.)

Everything I said above should give you an idea of my thought process behind the Oscars and why I ultimately agree with James that getting upset over Oscar nominations is both stupid and a waste of time. chugs1124 said, "I shrug it off at this point whent when films I love get snubbed, but that doesn't mean debating the deserving from the undeserving isn't fun." Uh, that's not fun. I love Attack the Block, but you'll never hear me clamoring for its applause in an Academy context, not even for visual effects. The phrase "I think _________ deserves an Oscar nomination" should be limited to films that can possibly attain such a lofty goal. chugs1124 also said, "If it's all subjective, and allows them to 'vent,' let them get as angry and/or passionate as they want. Who cares? That's the fun of it." Again, not fun, and I care. There's nothing more stupid than dedicating negative energy to something that doesn't deserve it. The Oscars barely deserve positive energy, let alone negative. It'd be one thing if the problem can be fixed. This is why things like Presidential elections get people riled up. That's your future! However, the Academy will never, ever, ever, ever nominate something like Attack the Block unless all the stars, planets, moons, comets, and galaxies align in its favor. Complaining about Michael Fassbender makes a little more sense, but at the end of the day, what can you really do? He lost his bid. It happens. I'm sure he'll be fine knowing that his consolation prize is having made art that will challenge and enamor viewers in equal measure for years and years to come.

The second and last thing James said that I want to bring up is this: "I prognosticate but do so with as detached an eye as I can manage. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I don't take it personally." If I didn't feel like writing a billion words, I would have just had the quote and said, "^This." Although I've recently had the idea of turning the Oscars into a computer program, predicting this shit isn't an exact science. There's lots of room for error and disappointment. That's just how it goes. It should only matter when there are lives on the line, which... fuck, I'll be okay knowing that Attack the Block missed its bids for the major categories and never really stood a chance. My life goes on as does yours. Now, second to lives is personal gain and it's in my best interest to be better than everyone at this shit so that James can write a review or buy me a Blu-ray in my honor!


Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:30 am
Post Re: February 07, 2012: "Don't Worry, Be Happy"
I agree, GWTDT left me feeling grubby and unpleasant... for various reasons.

It hasn't been nominated for Best Picture because it's an appalling picture. As I said in the relevant thread, the only decent thing was the direction... and I mean that. It was well directed. Other than that it was a total waste of time.

Your point about movies that make the Academy feel good is interesting and seems to make sense but it still doesn't explain how 'No Country For Old Men' won best picture. Was it the only nominee or something? It was a great film... just, didn't seem like an Oscar winner!


Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:23 pm
Post Re: February 07, 2012: "Don't Worry, Be Happy"
Dragonbeard wrote:
I agree, GWTDT left me feeling grubby and unpleasant... for various reasons.

It hasn't been nominated for Best Picture because it's an appalling picture. As I said in the relevant thread, the only decent thing was the direction... and I mean that. It was well directed. Other than that it was a total waste of time.

Your point about movies that make the Academy feel good is interesting and seems to make sense but it still doesn't explain how 'No Country For Old Men' won best picture. Was it the only nominee or something? It was a great film... just, didn't seem like an Oscar winner!

2007's an interesting year because it was almost like the organization was backed into a corner by film critics and forced at gunpoint to select the actual best film instead of something that will go well with their hot chocolate. No Country For Old Men went up against There Will Be Blood, Atonement, Juno, and Michael Clayton. I would wager there was a bit that ol' "should have gotten it for that other film" going on, since Fargo lost to The English Patient. Then again, although both films produce a response of, "Well, fuck," No Country ends with the slightest sense of serenity. TWBB ends with crazy embalmed in more crazy. I think No Country For Old Men might have sat a little nicer in voters's minds. It's hard to say, though.

I don't want to insinuate that the Academy dislikes challenging films or artsy films, because they selected The Hurt Locker over Avatar and The Tree of Life over... well, lots of films. But it's not like they selected A Serious Man, or will select The Tree of Life.

On GWTDT: I don't think it's appalling, and of course we're free to disagree on that until the end of time. There are lots of reasons why it wasn't nominated for Best Picture but its appalling nature isn't really one of them. Unless you're the human embodiment of the multi-human Academy, it's best to not take one's personal opinions into account in an Oscar context because that leads to MGamesCook-like quotes. Here are some examples:

"If your perspective is truly detached, all the more reason why you should see the ultimate failing of The Artist. I expected a Juno-ish cutsy movie, but instead it's more like I'm Not There; completely niche, obscure, and alienating to the mainstream."

"I think Spielberg will ultimately have a good chance at the top prizes this year."

"Which is going to get snubbed? Hugo or The Artist? There's not a snowball's chance in hell that both will be nominated."

On the article "Silent Film 'The Artist' Outrages Moviegoers Who Didn't Know It Was Silent": "Somebody throw me a fuckin bone here. This movie doesn't have a prayer."


Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:50 pm
Post Re: February 07, 2012: "Don't Worry, Be Happy"
James Berardinelli wrote:
James Berardinelli wrote:
haynesm wrote:
I counted 22, but suspect I missed several...


I think it's 26, unless I missed several (or miscounted)... :)

I'll post a full list here in a few days.


Thought for sure someone else would have done the heavy lifting by now. The final count, I think, is 27 (or 28, if THE ARTIST wins this year). They are:

In the Heat of the Night
American Beauty
Calvalcade
Sunrise
Titanic
Gone with the Wind
Hamlet
(The) Sting
Crash
Rocky
The Apartment
The Lost Weekend
Unforgiven
The Greatest Show on Earth
Going My Way
(The) Departed
Ordinary People
Annie Hall
An American in Paris
It Happened One Night
Chicago
The French Connection
A Man for All Seasons
The English Patient
The Sound of Music
The Best Years of Our Lives
You Can't Take it with You
The Artist?


I'm sorry, forgive me for sounding stupid, but this has been driving me nuts. I've looked over the topic and read the Reelthought and I still don't know what this is a list of. Can someone help me out?


Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:19 am
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3151
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: February 07, 2012: "Don't Worry, Be Happy"
KRoss wrote:
I'm sorry, forgive me for sounding stupid, but this has been driving me nuts. I've looked over the topic and read the Reelthought and I still don't know what this is a list of. Can someone help me out?


Look at it like a Wordfind puzzle. Read the ReelThought and see how many Best Picture titles you can find.


Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:06 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: February 07, 2012: "Don't Worry, Be Happy"
James Berardinelli wrote:
KRoss wrote:
I'm sorry, forgive me for sounding stupid, but this has been driving me nuts. I've looked over the topic and read the Reelthought and I still don't know what this is a list of. Can someone help me out?


Look at it like a Wordfind puzzle. Read the ReelThought and see how many Best Picture titles you can find.


Always funny how you don't find something that you aren't looking for ;)

So the BAFTAs were on the other night. Results here - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/b ... ist-289694

Will be interesting to see how it all compares to Oscar results!


Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:10 pm
Second Unit Director

Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:11 pm
Posts: 417
Post Re: February 07, 2012: "Don't Worry, Be Happy"
Andrew O'Hehir at Salon.com has written an article about the LA Times investigation on the demographics(old white guys) of the Academy which seems to explain why things happen the way they do with nominations and winners.

http://www.salon.com/2012/02/21/the_oscars_old_white_male_problem/


Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:58 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr