Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:55 am

October 11, 2011: "The Anti-Social Network" 
Post Re: October 11, 2011: "The Anti-Social Network"
ilovemovies wrote:
Almost ANYTHING can over take a person's life. Movies can over take a person's life. Obviously, facebook is no different.

Exactly. After the initial setup, you can have a decent experience on facebook by spending about 5 minutes a day on the site. I go with a hit and run every night or two. If there's something interesting I comment. If not, I leave.

I do dislike it for the privacy reasons cited but I like the experience overall. How else can you get into contact with people you forgot had even existed? Many moons ago I also had a 386 computer (with a TURBO button!!). That thing came with 3 games on a 1.44MB diskette. In my wildest dreams I would never have thought that I'd be in contact with persons from around the globe on a daily basis. That's cool.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:53 pm
Looking at "ReelViews through the years" was a real trip down memory lane. I remember every one of those iterations. I was actually really upset when you ditched the frames (most websites used frames very poorly, but I thought the ones on ReelViews were quite functional). I also miss the old dark backgrounds on the main page, because that's a style I associated strongly with ReelViews.

I also remember the "out of 10" scale, and the arcane bit of trivia that Schindler's List was the only perfect 10.

I like Facebook a lot. All my Facebook friends are people I know personally, so I never feel like I'm interacting with strangers on the Internet in that case. And I very rarely have had unpleasant experiences with my Facebook friends.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:14 am
'Online bullying' is a nonsense term and something of no consequence. Are there actually people in the world who's skin is thin enough to let what people TYPE get to them? Maybe these people never had to skip PE class for fear of being drowned by their classmates.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:42 am
Dragonbeard wrote:
'Online bullying' is a nonsense term and something of no consequence. Are there actually people in the world who's skin is thin enough to let what people TYPE get to them? Maybe these people never had to skip PE class for fear of being drowned by their classmates.

You might think it's ridiculous, but there's NOTHING funny about it, some kids really take that sort of thing seriously and have killed themselves over it, I think it's VERY insensitive and just plain rude ot judge people for that :evil:

Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:04 pm
Vexer wrote:
Dragonbeard wrote:

You might think it's ridiculous, but there's NOTHING funny about it, some kids really take that sort of thing seriously and have killed themselves over it, I think it's VERY insensitive and just plain rude ot judge people for that :evil:

I don't think it's funny, I just don't see it like that. As I said, maybe kids today don't HAVE to skip classes to escape the real life bullies. Maybe they don't have to keep their belongings to a minimum to prevent theft and maybe they don't have to work out the quick ways out of the grounds to ensure safe passage towards home; all things I had to do on a regular basis.

Sorry to sound insensitive, honestly.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:00 am
It... it almost sounds like you’re arguing that anyone being bullied online isn’t also being bullied at school.

I don’t know how you could come to this conclusion.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:11 am
AJR wrote:
It... it almost sounds like you’re arguing that anyone being bullied online isn’t also being bullied at school.

I don’t know how you could come to this conclusion.

I haven't

Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:09 pm