Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:27 am

March 03, 2009: "Watching and Waiting" 
Post Re: March 03, 2009: "Watching and Waiting"
But who predicted that 300 would do so well before it was released? No-one.

Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:06 am
A few things.

First, don't say graphic novel. To borrow from wikipedia, "Writer Alan Moore believes, "It's a marketing term ... that I never had any sympathy with. The term 'comic' does just as well for me. ... The problem is that 'graphic novel' just came to mean 'expensive comic book' and so what you'd get is people like DC Comics or Marvel comics — because 'graphic novels' were getting some attention, they'd stick six issues of whatever worthless piece of crap they happened to be publishing lately under a glossy cover and call it The She-Hulk Graphic Novel"

Second, this year has been extraordinary when it comes to movie sales thus far. Yet, the caliber of movies has been pretty poor (I, and others, have really been focusing on late 2008 releases, since we haven't too many good 2009 releases yet). I'm guessing that this is because going to a movie is a less expensive entertainment option. So, Watchmen might get some of that too. People who just want to see a movie will go and see Watchmen. It has no real competition this weekend.

Lastly, every bookstore you go into, is marketing Watchmen. I'm guessing its selling. Which means there are a lot of 'new' people who will go and see this too. Its location on Time's list of top books of the last 100 years (or whatever its timespan was), should help to gather in some of the Faulkner breathing folks. However, I was figuring that anything over a 60 million opening would be a success. But really, this movie will become quite profitable in merchandise sales, and DVD/BluRay sales.

Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:17 am
thered47 wrote:
I just read the graphic novel this weekend (first comic book I ever read by the way) and liked it a lot more than I would have guessed. Not being a comic book fan, are most comic books this intelligent and creative? I always thought they were more action hero orientated, smash em ups, then something that was this well thought out.

There is a fair amount of variety in graphic novels these days , and it's fair to say that you need never read an action/superhero comic any more to be a comic book reader.

I'll recommend such books as the very sober "Safe Area Gorazde: The War in Eastern Bosnia 1992-1995" by Joe Sacco and the fun "Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood" by Marjane Satrapi as examples of comics that deal in more serious or autobiographical themes (respectively). For more actionish stuff, "V for Vendetta" by Alan Moore is a good Orwellian fantasy, and I'll pitch in my personal favourite - the spy thriller "Queen and Country" by Greg Rucka.

Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:42 am
SFB wrote:
A few things.

First, don't say graphic novel.

If there is anything that is a graphic novel, this is it. Yes, it is used to describe a collection of 6-10 comics in book form, (personally I refer to them as trades). But those words, "graphic novel" describe Watchmen perfectly. It was a limited run of a comic book. Only 12 issues. It can be read and absorbed in an afternoon or two.

I do agree that Sandman is superior. By a long shot. But that is a series that spans 75 issues over 6 years and 10 trades. That is a long running series. When I think of Sandman I don't think of just one thing, I think of Death, and I think of the key to hell, and Orpheus, and the odd appearance of the Justice League. Same thing with Preacher, though it is not near the level of awesome that is Sandman.

Watchmen is no less or no more than what is contained in that graphic novel. That is a lot, don't get me wrong...

Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:45 pm
I imagine sales of the graphic novel (comic book, or whatever you want to call the source material) will jump sizably because of the movie. There is enough good stuff in the movie to make people say, "I wonder how the source material read?" I just don't think there is enough good stuff in the movie to make non-comic readers tell their friends they have to see this film.

I also think a big problem Watchmen (the movie) has is that it is nowhere close to as good as The Dark Knight.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:19 am
domicius wrote:
thered47 wrote:
I just read the graphic novel this weekend (first comic book I ever read by the way) and liked it a lot more than I would have guessed. Not being a comic book fan, are most comic books this intelligent and creative? I always thought they were more action hero orientated, smash em ups, then something that was this well thought out.

There is a fair amount of variety in graphic novels these days , and it's fair to say that you need never read an action/superhero comic any more to be a comic book reader.

I'll recommend such books as the very sober "Safe Area Gorazde: The War in Eastern Bosnia 1992-1995" by Joe Sacco and the fun "Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood" by Marjane Satrapi as examples of comics that deal in more serious or autobiographical themes (respectively). For more actionish stuff, "V for Vendetta" by Alan Moore is a good Orwellian fantasy, and I'll pitch in my personal favourite - the spy thriller "Queen and Country" by Greg Rucka.

This should probably go in the Lists forum, but here are some graphic novels (yes, they are graphic novels, no matter what Mr. Moore says) I can highly recommend--

The Sandman, Neil Gaiman
The Preacher, Garth Ennis
Transmetropolitan, Warren Ellis
The Boys, Garth Ennis
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Alan Moore
Maus, Art Spiegleman
Pride of Baghdad, Brian K. Vaughan
Fables, Bill Willingham
Sin City, Frank Miller
V for Vendetta, Alan Moore
The Exterminators, Simon Oliver
Orbiter, Warren Ellis
The Books of Magic, John Ney Rieber
American Splendor, Harvey Pekar
A History of Violence, John Wagner
The Losers, Andy Diggle
Lucifer, Mike Carey
The Fountain, Darren Aronofsky
Planetary, Warren Ellis
The Chronicles of Wormwood, Garth Ennis

These are all excellent, depending on taste, of course, and I recommend them all. I could go on, but I think that's enough to keep anyone occupied for a while.

I like to think of graphic novels as watching a book, or reading a movie. The artwork, in most cases, is fantastic, and the writing, at least in the above titles, is great,

The Watchmen was a great place to start, and I hope you find that it has opened a whole new world of artistic enjoyment to you.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:26 pm
Hmmm... Does a list of GNs belong in the List forum, even though they're not movies? Probably not, although many of the above have been adapted into film...

Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:29 pm
MunichMan wrote:
This should probably go in the Lists forum

No worries, it's absolutely fine here. Lists can be a part of posts anywhere.
The lists forum is for threads that are devoted entirely to lists.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:51 pm
Watchmen's Friday number is $25.1 million, less than 300's Friday number of $28.1 million. In addition, Watchmen's number is inflated by the Thursday midnight showings, which made $4.6 million. I felt in order for Watchmen to finish higher than 300 it would have to open higher than 300. This number does not bode well for Watchmen's chances to break 300 million domestic. It might not break 200 million.

Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:14 pm
SRCputt wrote:
Watchmen's Friday number is $25.1 million, less than 300's Friday number of $28.1 million. In addition, Watchmen's number is inflated by the Thursday midnight showings, which made $4.6 million. I felt in order for Watchmen to finish higher than 300 it would have to open higher than 300. This number does not bode well for Watchmen's chances to break 300 million domestic. It might not break 200 million.

Further discussion of this week's box office grosses can be found here.

Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:15 pm