February 26, 2011: "Superbowl for Women" 
Site Admin

Post February 26, 2011: "Superbowl for Women"
Click here to read topic.

Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:47 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: February 26, 2011: "Superbowl for Women"
Although I won't be doing any formal during-Oscars commentary, it's likely I'll throw up a few tweets especially if something extraordinary happens. I'll also post a post-Oscars wrap on Monday.

Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:51 pm
Profile WWW
The King's Speech is an interesting choice for cinematography. I don't think it'll win that category unless there's a sweep. True Grit seems to be pegged for that spot, with Inception bouncing around in most people's minds as the number two choice. It's number two because the Academy didn't love the film enough to give it an editing nomination.

I like that you put The King's Speech for sound mixing over Inception or The Social Network because that's probably what I'm going to do. Recently, that spot has gone to the Best Picture winner unless it obviously doesn't deserve it (a la American Beauty and Driving Miss Daisy, an example I've probably used on this forum before). It's also rare for a film to pick up both sound editing and sound mixing, though not impossible because The Bourne Ultimatum did that a few years back.

I don't think Biutiful is going to win the Best Foreign Language Film Oscar. The perceived frontrunner, if you can even call it that, almost never wins. Last year, everyone thought The White Ribbon was going to win. A Prophet was most folk's number two choice. It went to The Secret in Their Eyes, which was the number three choice of most folks. This is strange because apparently no one learned from the Waltz With Bashir/The Class failure when Departures won. In a Better World is being pegged as the winner in most circles if it's not Biutiful; thus, I think Incendies will win.

I also disagree on Costume Design, but I get it.

I'm a little disappointed you're not doing a live commentary and contest this year, but I tended to think that it would be hard to implement with your daddy duties. I'm sure I'll be fine without. :lol: Good luck to you, and to me I suppose haha.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:14 am
I believe our Oscar ballots look nothing alike, James. Surprising, though.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:11 am
Tom Hanks is without a doubt a great actor. He specifically may not have the star power that the golden age actors had, but as far as his acting resume, he's right up there. I feel like the tabloid era changed the dynamics of stardom. Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Will Smith, Leonard DiCaprio etc. are examples of the biggest movie stars of the last 15 years or so. I really wasn't around to know what the golden age actors were like outside of movies or what their presence was like, but the people I mentioned are some of the most famous and recognizable people on Earth. Its not like being a mega movie star nowadays means you aren't as famous as movie stars used to be. Its just that people don't gaze in amazement when they see them at the awards as they may have back in the day because you see them all the time in the news and in magazines. Maybe its just that back in the day, the Oscars were some of the only times you saw the big stars outside of the movies. I don't know, maybe I'm completely off here.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:27 am
Can't agree with the major predictions. Fincher and Social Network were always the front runners and still are. I'd lay 50 bucks on both.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:19 am
I'm glad Berardinelli feels the same way about Melissa Leo. Like him, I picked Hailee Steinfeld for Best Supporting Actress, in part because Leo's self-promotion is incredibly tacky and desperate.

Overall, my predictions line up fairly similar to Berardinelli's, with a couple differences (I picked Roger Deakins and True Grit for Best Cinematography). It was refreshing to read an Oscar reelthoughts without getting an overwhelming sense of disdain. Maybe that's coming in the post-Oscar writeup, but from my perspective, it's best to just have a little fun and not take it very seriously.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:09 am
Those live Oscar threads James hosted were loads of fun and really helped to liven up the boring spots. Even though JB is not involved I'm fairly sure we'll still do a live thread. You fine folks up for it? I'll be home shortly before the ceremony starts and I'll make a live commentary thread by then if someone else doesn't.

Anyone else hoping that Natalie Portman pulls a Bjork and shows up in a swan dress?

MGamesCook wrote:
Can't agree with the major predictions. Fincher and Social Network were always the front runners and still are. I'd lay 50 bucks on both.

That's an astounding statement. Which metric are you using? I'd be glad if you're correct but everything points to a King's Speech win.

In fact, I'd go so far as to contradict James and say The Social Network was never a frontrunner. People merely thought it was a frontrunner because it swept the critics' awards. How many critics have an actual Oscar vote? I'm betting that number is close to zero.

The King's Speech has won pretty much every major guild award. That matters because most of those people are members of the Academy.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:49 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
In fact, I'd go so far as to contradict James and say The Social Network was never a frontrunner. People merely thought it was a frontrunner because it swept the critics' awards. How many critics have an actual Oscar vote? I'm betting that number is close to zero.

White it's true that critics don't vote for the Oscars, prognosticators have to start picking up on trends to ballpark what the Academy might respond to. So yes, The Social Network was a frontrunner before any serious Oscar business (i.e. guild awards) really took place.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:07 pm
Pedro wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

White it's true that critics don't vote for the Oscars, prognosticators have to start picking up on trends to ballpark what the Academy might respond to. So yes, The Social Network was a frontrunner before any serious Oscar business (i.e. guild awards) really took place.

Yeah, but it was more of a theoretical frontrunner based on data that really didn't matter. People assumed the voters would align with the critics. That doesn't happen too often and hasn't happened this year. At least not yet.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:12 pm
I still think it's insane that director Chris Nolan and editor Lee Smith didn't get nominations for "Inception".

Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:23 pm
James Berardinelli wrote:
Although I won't be doing any formal during-Oscars commentary, it's likely I'll throw up a few tweets especially if something extraordinary happens. I'll also post a post-Oscars wrap on Monday.
Interesting word choice.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:50 pm
MGamesCook wrote:

I agree with Ed in this case. I also disagree with JB's statement that 'everybody' agreed six weeks ago that it was favourite to win. Had nobody seen 'The King's speech' or 'Inception' a mere six weeks ago? Don't get me wrong, I do like Fincher (not as much as I used to though) but I just really want to see him fall flat on his face. Him and his atrocious lead actor!

It tickled me that Inception beat other candidates at the BAFTAs for Visual Effects as only one of two nominees that weren't in 3D. Anybody still want to argue the case for 3D?

I really do look up to Deakins but Pfister appeals to me far more.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:39 pm
Silly question, why is Christian Bale "not particularly well liked?" I recall an incident where he blew up on the set for "Terminator Salvation," but I have not read anything where people actively don't like the guy. And I like to keep up with the Hollywood gossip!!! I know he is a method actor, but he doesn't seem to come across as annoying to his co-stars as Danial Day Lewis. Am I just missing something? Did I just not read TMZ or Perez Hilton on the right days?

Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:46 pm
Director

The King's Speech won just as predicted. No problem. I like The King's Speech.

However I would've given the best director Oscar to either Christopher Nolan or David Fincher. Not to take anything away from Tom Hooper, who did a fantastic job. But Inception and The Social Netowrk were better demonstrations of directing talent.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:37 am
What did you guys think of Anne Hathaway and James Franco as hosts?

Hathaway tried her best even though she was a bit overexcited. Franco looked nervous and stiff.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:09 am
ck100 wrote:

Hathaway tried her best even though she was a bit overexcited. Franco looked nervous and stiff.

Franco was stoned out of his mind.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:05 am
Franco was crazy stoned, but it was perfect.

Kirk Douglas was the best part of the night

Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:48 am
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
ck100 wrote:

Franco was stoned out of his mind.

I thought he was just being James Franco. Both hosts tried their best and I like them as actors. However, they didn't seem to add anything as hosts. I think even Steve Martin/Alec Baldwin were better.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:03 pm
Did anybody almost read out a winner before announcing the nominees? Little incident at the BAFTAs.

I notice 'The Social Network' won best original score, inflating Trent Reznor's already over large (and rather empty) head. Ah well I'd like to have seen Nolan win best director (as I think he IS the best director) but I feel equally as satisfied seeing Fincher get hit on the nose with a newspaper for his misbehaviour. Seems odd that Inception would win awards for Cinematography, Sound editing/mixing but not film editing... I guess they had to let 'Network have at least a couple of bits of pie!

Something does bother me about these awards and the BAFTAs... why was 'Alice In Wonderland' in the running? I was sure the movie is far too old to still be eligible for nominations? Surely it would have been nominated last year?

Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:28 pm