Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:50 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
November 21, 2010: "e-life" 
Author Message
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3111
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post November 21, 2010: "e-life"
Click here to read topic.


Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:11 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:58 pm
Posts: 75
Post Re: November 21, 2010: "e-life"
One quibble. Y2K wasn't primarily a "crying wolf" scenario. Sure, there were some wildly-exaggerated claims of what could go wrong. But there also was a lot of (primarily business) software which would have malfunctioned in various ways. Here's an article which, on a quick skim, seemed to cover this topic well. (http://www.riskythinking.com/articles/article14.php)


Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:01 am
Profile
Gaffer

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:17 am
Posts: 36
Post Re: November 21, 2010: "e-life"
I honestly don't know if I could grow up with some of the toys that are around these days. One of the reasons school was enjoyable is I could get away from the family for six hours :D Now with cell phones that probably couldn't happen.

_________________
--If I have to hear "Ya Mo B There" one more time, I'm going to ya mo burn this place to the ground.--


Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:38 pm
Profile
Post Re: November 21, 2010: "e-life"
Wow, I thought that I was the only one who did the audio cassette bootleg thing. It dates us, does it not?

I'm sure that some of old recordings still exist in my father's attic. The first one I ever did was SCROOGED which, as a bonus, also had the trailer for the barely released Corman-produced horror cheapie, TWICE DEAD before it. I still remember a sharp, loud laugh from someone in the audience aimed at that trailer which may still be archived somewhere 23 years after the fact. I wonder where that guy is now.

Subsequent titles included BILL & TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE, INDIANA JONES & THE LAST CRUSADE, NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 5, UHF (no, really) and a partial of STAR TREK V. That last one has a pretty good story behind it.

Look, while I acknowledge that STAR TREK V is a woefully misbegotten movie which is revealing and crudely made (with a storyline that I wouldn't put past M. Night Shyamalan), I've always enjoyed it. It's cheesy in a warm and endearing way as opposed to the NEXT GENERATION movies which have always been coldly boring to me.

Anyway, having already seen it first run and loved it, I went to a second run theater to watch it one more time with my Trekker mother who hated it but, hey, it's still the new STAR TREK movie.

So, we went to see William Shatner's masterpiece in a nearly empty, dingy, tiny theater. In fact, the only other people in evidence were two women who looked like a mother and daughter who seemed like the type of people who would be passionate STAR TREK fans in a pre-convention/geek culture/merchandise kind of way. They also looked like they stayed in a lot and perhaps watched a whole lot of daytime television together if you catch my drift.

Anyway, having missed my chance before, I opted to bring my tape recorder along much to my mother's chagrin. She was always convinced that I was going to be royally busted for this and, as it turns out, this was the time that she was vindicated.

Shortly after my first tape flip (I anticipated two breaks), a manager who looked like a young, distant relative of Vernon Dursley busted in on me, pointed a finger and said, "Do you realize that what you're doing is punishable by a $10,000 fine or imprisonment!?"

He took my tape recorder and left me to watch the rest of the film in total humiliation. In hindishgt, the post-tape-flip "bathroom break" that the younger of the two women took seemed a little bit suspicious.

Afterwards, the manager gave me back my recorder and seemed almost embarrassed that he'd busted me for an audio cassette. He told me that he realized that I was only doing it for my personal use, but that I should probably just go out and buy the soundtrack.

In the future, I learned to be a bit more careful. I'd either take two recorders or a quick "bathroom break" to flip the cassette.

--

I grew out of this within the year and later turned my attention to more important endeavors like sneaking in recorders to music concerts, a practice that I continue to this day. The recordings vary in quality, but I've long since decided that I must like the sport of it.

Unfortunately, I slipped two nights ago at the Joanna Newsom show (no, really) and dropped the recorder while applauding. Sloppy.

I use a digital recorder now, but I got a priceless response the last time I used a cassette recorder for Mike Patton's Peeping Tom show. Right after I flipped the tape, some guy in front of me noticed and said, "What is that? A tape recorder!? What are you? FIFTY!?"

No, sir. Not yet.


Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:17 am
Post Re: November 21, 2010: "e-life"
haynesm wrote:
One quibble. Y2K wasn't primarily a "crying wolf" scenario. Sure, there were some wildly-exaggerated claims of what could go wrong. But there also was a lot of (primarily business) software which would have malfunctioned in various ways. Here's an article which, on a quick skim, seemed to cover this topic well. (http://www.riskythinking.com/articles/article14.php)


It really was.

I never managed to take a cassette recorder to a movie theatre. Maybe in the UK they were just stricter about things like that but ever since my first memorable movie theatre trip (Home Alone!) people have been banned from taking so much as their own bottle of water past the ticket check. I did however apply the same theory to movies and television at home. As my dad worked for Sony, we owned whatever they were churning out at the time and so my earliest memory of recording from television was onto Betamax. I'll always prefer the format to VHS but sadly my younger sister saw to it that the machine was never the same again, after attempting to insert a tape with one already loaded...

I wasn't able to purchase further tapes and my parents attempted to discourage the practice by convincing me to watch what was recorded and then tape over it. This felt like it was defeating the object and so I went to the next source of recordable media in the house; cassette tapes! As a musically inclined youngster, I didn't mind only having audio to enjoy so I went about recording Real Ghostbusters, TMHT, Inspector Gadget Knightmare, and numerous other shows whos names escape me.

Just one question - what is stopping us going to the moon now if we could in 1969?


Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:24 pm
Post Re: November 21, 2010: "e-life"
Let me just say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izQB2-Kmiic

;)

And to Tom Kessler, I bet UHF looked a hell of a lot better in audio :)


Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:47 pm
Post Re: November 21, 2010: "e-life"
James,

I'm not sure where you're heading.

Are you working towards being another Ebert with these posts? If so write about stuff you really care about with passion. Write from a very clear viewpoint and don't be afraid to piss a few people off.

Are you looking to use them to comment about cinema - if so do that with real insight.

I'm just not sure where you're heading.

Rob


Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:15 am
Post Re: November 21, 2010: "e-life"
Robert Holloway wrote:
James,

I'm not sure where you're heading.

Are you working towards being another Ebert with these posts? If so write about stuff you really care about with passion. Write from a very clear viewpoint and don't be afraid to piss a few people off.

Are you looking to use them to comment about cinema - if so do that with real insight.

I'm just not sure where you're heading.

Rob


http://www.reelviews.net/reelthoughts.php?identifier=451

James 'Imma Baby Daddy' Berardinelli wrote:
What Is ReelThoughts?

This is the newest feature offered by this website, and it has a couple of purposes. First of all, it will allow me to have a more open and immediate dialogue with readers. It will also permit me to address any issues that pop to mind without having to sit down and write a lengthy, formal commentary. Secondly, it will fill the "void" of new content left by the completion of the Top 100.

[...]
Although most of my musings will deal with film, I'll occasionally venture into current events, politics, and/or sports. Whatever I need to get off my chest. (Originally, I was going to call this the "ReelViews Soapbox.") I will also address provocative topics that are raised in e-mails from readers. My goal is not to offer scoops about up-coming productions.


Think what you want of Reelthoughts but James has been doing more or less exactly what he said he would (minus the email response thing) since JANUARY 2004. Ebert has been doing his blog since April 2008. If anything, Ebert is doing an Berardinelli (there's another forum member doing a Berardinelli too. Ha! Damn, I hope I don't get banned for that...) and not the other way around. It's hardly fair to gripe about the direction of James' blog after almost seven years.

I like Reelthoughts. To my knowledge James is the first critic to blog like this. I believe he's also the first (the only?) critic that has a message board (others allow comments which is much different). Perhaps some of the recent entries have seemed familiar and are new takes on old topics. That's not unexpected after such a long period of time. I'd like something new and wonderful every time too but let's not forget that when it comes to online criticism James is very much a pioneer.


Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:46 pm
Post Re: November 21, 2010: "e-life"
ed_metal_head wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
James,

I'm not sure where you're heading.

Are you working towards being another Ebert with these posts? If so write about stuff you really care about with passion. Write from a very clear viewpoint and don't be afraid to piss a few people off.

Are you looking to use them to comment about cinema - if so do that with real insight.

I'm just not sure where you're heading.

Rob


http://www.reelviews.net/reelthoughts.php?identifier=451

James 'Imma Baby Daddy' Berardinelli wrote:
What Is ReelThoughts?

This is the newest feature offered by this website, and it has a couple of purposes. First of all, it will allow me to have a more open and immediate dialogue with readers. It will also permit me to address any issues that pop to mind without having to sit down and write a lengthy, formal commentary. Secondly, it will fill the "void" of new content left by the completion of the Top 100.

[...]
Although most of my musings will deal with film, I'll occasionally venture into current events, politics, and/or sports. Whatever I need to get off my chest. (Originally, I was going to call this the "ReelViews Soapbox.") I will also address provocative topics that are raised in e-mails from readers. My goal is not to offer scoops about up-coming productions.


Think what you want of Reelthoughts but James has been doing more or less exactly what he said he would (minus the email response thing) since JANUARY 2004. Ebert has been doing his blog since April 2008. If anything, Ebert is doing an Berardinelli (there's another forum member doing a Berardinelli too. Ha! Damn, I hope I don't get banned for that...) and not the other way around. It's hardly fair to gripe about the direction of James' blog after almost seven years.

I like Reelthoughts. To my knowledge James is the first critic to blog like this. I believe he's also the first (the only?) critic that has a message board (others allow comments which is much different). Perhaps some of the recent entries have seemed familiar and are new takes on old topics. That's not unexpected after such a long period of time. I'd like something new and wonderful every time too but let's not forget that when it comes to online criticism James is very much a pioneer.



No question that James was a pioneer in writing a blog on his site. At least i did not see anything like that in 2004.

It's not familiarity that was my question.

What's this other forum member doing a Berardinelli thing, you lost me there?

Rob


Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:04 pm
Post Re: November 21, 2010: "e-life"
I made an audio recording of a movie when I was a kid--Beavis and Butthead Do America, if anyone cares--not because I had no access to the video, just not my own copy. And, relatively recently, I ripped the audio from the first two seasons of Aqua Teen Hunger Force so my girlfriend can listen to them on her iPod in the car.

It's an interesting exercise in altering the experience of movies and TV. Especially for ATHF, which is primarily dialogue-driven and survives the change very well.


Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:46 pm
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3111
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: November 21, 2010: "e-life"
Robert Holloway wrote:

What's this other forum member doing a Berardinelli thing, you lost me there?

Rob


Think of a colloquial meaning for the term "doing." The "other forum member" he was referring to is my wife. :)


Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:24 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: November 21, 2010: "e-life"
James Berardinelli wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

What's this other forum member doing a Berardinelli thing, you lost me there?

Rob


Think of a colloquial meaning for the term "doing." The "other forum member" he was referring to is my wife. :)



Ah hah, i get it - those confounding colloquialisms ;-)


Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:50 pm
Cinematographer

Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:19 pm
Posts: 599
Post Re: November 21, 2010: "e-life"
Man I'm old. I typed my reports in college on an electric typewriter. Did backflips when my dad gave me a TI 99/4A (?) to write basic programs and control some relay circuits. When I got to the real world of work the computer we used for engineering work was a VAX mainframe. Mysteriously, a little square object showed up on a table in the hallway that no one knew how to use. Turned out it was a Macintosh with some word processor on it and I started using it to avoid all the white-out corrected communications transcribed by our secretary. Got my tie stuck in a blue print copy machine's roller. After working 80 hrs. one week, I drowned my pager in a pitcher of beer when they tried to contact me one late Friday night shortly before Christmas. Lobbied the business for, and adopted 3d modeling softwares and electronic circuit modeling as quickly as they came available. Don't miss the drafting table one bit. Hard to believe that Lotus 1-2-3 and Excel would be business transforming. Using functions in Excel was cool 15 years ago and still is.

Now I'm stuck in the middle. No way I'll ever go back to the typewriter or even handwritten notes anymore. But I don't like the 24 hour connectivity either. My work email doesn't get forwarded to home and I turn off my cell phone when I get home. Don't want a smart phone, but need satellite TV. Still don't have a Blu-Ray, iPod, iPad, Kindle, GPS, Blue Tooth, or giant TV of any sort. Need to get a GPS as my memory starts to deteriorate with age. Love online meetings for work - sure makes doing business across the expanse much easier and more efficient.

Please excuse the self indulgent ramble.


Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:07 am
Profile
Post Re: November 21, 2010: "e-life"
"Now, it's all about downloadable tunes at $1 a pop."

And now buying music is deprecated too. Spotify means I have a music library I would never have dreamed possible 5 years ago and all for a small fee each month. I don't own it but I also don't care. I can't believe the amount of money people spend on itunes presumably because they have a need to possess something.

"There are, as yet, no flying cars or vehicles that drive themselves."

Kinda... a flying car is available from Terrafugia and recently a group of people got a car to drive itself from Milan to Shanghai http://viac.vislab.it/ not to mention the road train proposals in Europe... :)

May favourite though had to be doing my computer degree in the 80's where we spent 4 semester units agonising over what the IT industry would do to support the billions of people that we put out of work by complete computerisation and automation of the world. Got that one right...


Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:18 am
Post Re: November 21, 2010: "e-life"
pasmith wrote:
"Now, it's all about downloadable tunes at $1 a pop."

And now buying music is deprecated too. Spotify means I have a music library I would never have dreamed possible 5 years ago and all for a small fee each month. I don't own it but I also don't care. I can't believe the amount of money people spend on itunes presumably because they have a need to possess something.

"There are, as yet, no flying cars or vehicles that drive themselves."

Kinda... a flying car is available from Terrafugia and recently a group of people got a car to drive itself from Milan to Shanghai http://viac.vislab.it/ not to mention the road train proposals in Europe... :)

May favourite though had to be doing my computer degree in the 80's where we spent 4 semester units agonising over what the IT industry would do to support the billions of people that we put out of work by complete computerisation and automation of the world. Got that one right...


Welcome

How do i get Spotify in the US?

Rob


Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:23 am
Post Re: November 21, 2010: "e-life"
Looks like another reason for a proxy IP
Rob


Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:26 am
Post Re: November 21, 2010: "e-life"
On topic I have to laugh at James' computer:

Quote:
the processor ran at 4 MHz (although there was a "turbo" mode that boosted the speed).


:lol: That's pathetic. My 386 would have blown that out of the water. It hit 33Mhz on turbo. That's like 8 times faster than yours, bud.


Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:44 pm
Post Re: November 21, 2010: "e-life"
Ken wrote:
I made an audio recording of a movie when I was a kid--Beavis and Butthead Do America, if anyone cares--not because I had no access to the video, just not my own copy. And, relatively recently, I ripped the audio from the first two seasons of Aqua Teen Hunger Force so my girlfriend can listen to them on her iPod in the car.

It's an interesting exercise in altering the experience of movies and TV. Especially for ATHF, which is primarily dialogue-driven and survives the change very well.


I feel there is a word here that I don't wish to use... but it happens most often because people just want something they can watch at their leisure, not because they actually want to damage the man.

James, your wife uses the forum? I'm guessing she'd use a cleverly disguised name so as not to give herself away. My guess is ed_metal_head or something innocuous ;)


Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:02 pm
Post Re: November 21, 2010: "e-life"
Dragonbeard wrote:
James, your wife uses the forum? I'm guessing she'd use a cleverly disguised name so as not to give herself away. My guess is ed_metal_head or something innocuous ;)


Nah, in the early days she was quite active here but alas, her posting is now something akin to a unicorn or Bigfoot.


Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:06 pm
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3111
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: November 21, 2010: "e-life"
Patrick wrote:
Dragonbeard wrote:
James, your wife uses the forum? I'm guessing she'd use a cleverly disguised name so as not to give herself away. My guess is ed_metal_head or something innocuous ;)


Nah, in the early days she was quite active here but alas, her posting is now something akin to a unicorn or Bigfoot.


Any comment I might make at this point would just get me in trouble.


Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr