It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:29 am

November 24, 2010: "The Great 2010 Turkey Hunt" 
Site Admin

Post November 24, 2010: "The Great 2010 Turkey Hunt"
Click here to read topic.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: November 24, 2010: "The Great 2010 Turkey Hunt"
The funny thing about this is that James had exactly 10 titles that he ranked as *1/2 or less so he could have easily made this a Bottom 10 list, but I guess I don't blame him for not doing that.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:39 pm
You should check Heigl out in Killers as she's genuinely enjoyable and fun to watch there, maybe if I win the competition i'll have you review that film. Anniston apparently likes doing rom-coms regardless of how the script reads, so i've gotten used to seeing her sleepwalk her way through mediocre films like The Break Up, Love Happens and She's Just Not That Into You, that said though I found Bounty Hunter to be a moderately enjoyable timewaster, it certainly wasn't the worst way for me to kill a boring Sunday afternoon. Also i'd say you're wrong about Macgruber, remember that you said comedies are more subjective then any other type of movie(I was surprised that you liked The Hangover so much as i perosnally didn't find it very funny) and I personally thought Macgruber had some decent laughs even though it did occasionally stumble, this review sums up my opinion pretty wellhttp://themovieboy.com/reviews/m/10_macgruber.htm. In regards to SATC2, you REALLY should've heeded my warning on that one! :lol: As for Skyline, i've got plans to watch that one online for free, i'll still defend the Strausse bros for AVP:R as I found it to be alot of fun, but i've got to be conservative with my money nowadays, so i've got no reason to pay to see something i'm not too enthused about.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:45 pm
The Eat Pray Love movie actually gave the guys at The Daily Show some pretty good material.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-august-18-2010/back-in-black---eat--pray--love

And that's probably the most Eat Pray Love i will ever see. Unless some girlfriend in the future has me watch it. I once watched The Notebook and I didn't make it through 20 minutes before I fell asleep on her couch....

Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:45 pm
IAMovieFan wrote:
The Eat Pray Love movie actually gave the guys at The Daily Show some pretty good material.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-august-18-2010/back-in-black---eat--pray--love

And that's probably the most Eat Pray Love i will ever see. Unless some girlfriend in the future has me watch it. I once watched The Notebook and I didn't make it through 20 minutes before I fell asleep on her couch....

Well i'm thankful my lady friend HATES garbage like Eat Pray Love(I wasn't exactly a Notebook fan either) so i'll never to worry about having to suffer through a two-hour self-indulgant crapfest like that one.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:00 pm
Site Admin

Vexer wrote:
i'll still defend the Strausse bros for AVP:R as I found it to be alot of fun, but i've got to be conservative with my money nowadays, so i've got no reason to pay to see something i'm not too enthused about.

The brothers disowned AVP:R. They claimed Fox took the movie away from them and ruined it. They called the theatrical cut an "abomination" and vowed never to work on a Fox film again. Until I saw SKYLINE, I was prepared to believe that Fox had, in fact, ruined a perfectly serviceable movie. Now, I'm not so sure...

Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:08 pm
Profile WWW
Some years the Worst Of can be enjoyable but this year it's just depressing. Those on the list look joyless, painful instead of just plain absurdly terrible. It's almost a shame that movies like Adrenalin: Fear the Rush don't get theatrical releases any longer.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:16 pm
James Berardinelli wrote:
Vexer wrote:
i'll still defend the Strausse bros for AVP:R as I found it to be alot of fun, but i've got to be conservative with my money nowadays, so i've got no reason to pay to see something i'm not too enthused about.

The brothers disowned AVP:R. They claimed Fox took the movie away from them and ruined it. They called the theatrical cut an "abomination" and vowed never to work on a Fox film again. Until I saw SKYLINE, I was prepared to believe that Fox had, in fact, ruined a perfectly serviceable movie. Now, I'm not so sure...

I never knew that until now, but it gives me all the more reason to not pay a single cent ot watch Skyline.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:35 pm
Vexer wrote:
Well i'm thankful my lady friend HATES garbage like Eat Pray Love(I wasn't exactly a Notebook fan either) so i'll never to worry about having to suffer through a two-hour self-indulgant crapfest like that one.

I watched Moulin Rouge, Dirty Dancing and Grease 2 with her too. Mostly because I felt I might have been a bit rude about falling asleep during the Notebook. In exchange she sat through Army of Darkness, Shaun of the Dead and the Space Mutiny episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000. She only liked Army of Darkness. I sort of enjoyed Grease 2, although probably not in the way she wanted me to enjoy it.

OTOH, a girlfriend I had about two years after that made me watch Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters 2 and Pulp Fiction with her. I had seen all three movies before that, but she wanted to watch them with me. She's a good movie buddy these days. Her boyfriend wouldn't see The Dark Knight with her at the midnight showing, so she called me up and the two of us went to see it.

There's a girl I'm going after right now and I'm not sure what kind of movies she likes, but if it's important to her, I will see "self-indulgant crapfest". Just like she'll watch Army of Darkness with me.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:57 pm
Shall we take an early guess at what James' Seven Most-Liked Movies of 2010 would be?

Possible choices for the list:

Love and Other Drugs
The Social Network
Buried
Flipped
Toy Story 3
How to Train Your Dragon
Green Zone
Cyrus
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
Kick-Ass
Inception

I think at least for a 2010 Top 10 list we'd pretty much know what he'd pick since these are the likely choices (though he'd have to leave one out since there are 11). Each of these 2010 films have been the highest-rated so far with 3.5 stars each. The toughest part is figuring out how he'd rank them.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:10 pm
oafolay wrote:
The funny thing about this is that James had exactly 10 titles that he ranked as *1/2 or less so he could have easily made this a Bottom 10 list, but I guess I don't blame him for not doing that.

I'm guessing that list would be as follows:

Charlie St. Cloud
Devil
Leap Year
Life as We Know It
Eat Pray Love
The Bounty Hunter
The Last Airbender
MacGruber
Sex and the City 2
Skyline

Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:58 pm
A depressing list that offers no joy in awfulness.

The best truly bad films come up the other side and somehow become guilty pleasures. I have defended Plan 9 because Ed Wood made it with a good heart but was just hysterically over ambitious and incompetent.

Most of these are cynical endeavors from studios trying to grab our dollars. sad for me that i have seen so many of them.

Rob

Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:27 pm
ck100 wrote:
oafolay wrote:

Charlie St. Cloud
Devil
Leap Year
Life as We Know It
Eat Pray Love
The Bounty Hunter
The Last Airbender
MacGruber
Sex and the City 2
Skyline

Leap Year got 2 stars, so that one wouldn't be on there.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:56 pm
While I'm not surprised to see Skyline take the #1 spot, and it's just as atrocious as James says it is, I still maintain that it's one of the funniest movies I've seen this past decade, solely due to how bad it is.

As much as I hate watching bad movies, there are some that I can't help but enjoy solely due to sheer badness. The Room is one, and I'd put Skyline right along side it.

The Last Airbender, however, made me sick when watching it...

Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:11 am
Vexer wrote:
ck100 wrote:
oafolay wrote:

Charlie St. Cloud
Devil
Leap Year
Life as We Know It
Eat Pray Love
The Bounty Hunter
The Last Airbender
MacGruber
Sex and the City 2
Skyline

Leap Year got 2 stars, so that one wouldn't be on there.

Oops! Sorry about that. Thought there were 10 1.5 star films but I was wrong.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:05 am
MTRodaba2468 wrote:
While I'm not surprised to see Skyline take the #1 spot, and it's just as atrocious as James says it is, I still maintain that it's one of the funniest movies I've seen this past decade, solely due to how bad it is.

As much as I hate watching bad movies, there are some that I can't help but enjoy solely due to sheer badness. The Room is one, and I'd put Skyline right along side it.

The Last Airbender, however, made me sick when watching it...

Hi there

Nice to "meet" you

I'm dying to see Skyline in the hope that it's awfulness transcends bad

Rob

Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:28 am
I'm actually somewhat surprised with Berardinelli placing Skyline below Sex and the City 2. Now, I haven't seen either film, but Skyline, as incompetently made as it inevitably is, looks to me to be purely B-movie genre fare. On the other hand, Sex and the City 2 has been called out from pretty much all circles as a film with a rotten message and an embarrassingly retrograde representation of women. Perhaps it has something to do with preconceived expectations. If I only had two options, God forbid, and I had to choose between something technically awful and morally/philosophically awful, I'd go with the former every time.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:43 am
Blonde Almond wrote:
I'm actually somewhat surprised with Berardinelli placing Skyline below Sex and the City 2. Now, I haven't seen either film, but Skyline, as incompetently made as it inevitably is, looks to me to be purely B-movie genre fare. On the other hand, Sex and the City 2 has been called out from pretty much all circles as a film with a rotten message and an embarrassingly retrograde representation of women. Perhaps it has something to do with preconceived expectations. If I only had two options, God forbid, and I had to choose between something technically awful and morally/philosophically awful, I'd go with the former every time.

I've seen SATC2 and it's as excrable as you suggest
Yikes
Skyline must be awesome :-)
Rob

Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:03 am
Producer

Vexer wrote:
You should check Heigl out in Killers as she's genuinely enjoyable and fun to watch there, maybe if I win the competition i'll have you review that film. Anniston apparently likes doing rom-coms regardless of how the script reads, so i've gotten used to seeing her sleepwalk her way through mediocre films like The Break Up, Love Happens and She's Just Not That Into You, that said though I found Bounty Hunter to be a moderately enjoyable timewaster, it certainly wasn't the worst way for me to kill a boring Sunday afternoon. Also i'd say you're wrong about Macgruber, remember that you said comedies are more subjective then any other type of movie(I was surprised that you liked The Hangover so much as i perosnally didn't find it very funny) and I personally thought Macgruber had some decent laughs even though it did occasionally stumble, this review sums up my opinion pretty wellhttp://themovieboy.com/reviews/m/10_macgruber.htm. In regards to SATC2, you REALLY should've heeded my warning on that one! :lol: As for Skyline, i've got plans to watch that one online for free, i'll still defend the Strausse bros for AVP:R as I found it to be alot of fun, but i've got to be conservative with my money nowadays, so i've got no reason to pay to see something i'm not too enthused about.

Killers was OKAY for the first half but the second half is TERRIBLE. Especially the lame ass twist at the end. How the story wraps up is beyond pathetic IMO.

I didn't care for MacGruber but I don't think it's as bad as James says either. I found it to be rather mediocre. It has some funny moments but not nearly enough to be able to recommend.

And I know I'm the only person who thinks but I actually found Skyline to be a fun movie. I was actually taken a back by how bad people thought Skyline was. It really feels like I saw a completely different movie than everyone else.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:35 am
ilovemovies wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Killers was OKAY for the first half but the second half is TERRIBLE. Especially the lame ass twist at the end. How the story wraps up is beyond pathetic IMO.

I didn't care for MacGruber but I don't think it's as bad as James says either. I found it to be rather mediocre. It has some funny moments but not nearly enough to be able to recommend.

And I know I'm the only person who thinks but I actually found Skyline to be a fun movie. I was actually taken a back by how bad people thought Skyline was. It really feels like I saw a completely different movie than everyone else.

Eh, I wasn't that bothered by the twist, yeah it was prety lazy but overall i've seen WAAAYYYY worse twist endings(Hide And Seek comes to mind)

Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:20 pm