Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:07 pm

November 12, 2010: "Michael at Six (Months)" 
Post Re: November 12, 2010: "Michael at Six (Months)"
Thank you James.

Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:28 am
James if you stopped writing film reviews, I'd never read such a thing again. Rotten Tomatoes can bugger off.

My daughter Faith will be six weeks old tomorrow and I've had all of a few days with her, since I live 550 miles away. Having one or two severely unsupportive friends who virtually demonise me for not having moved to Scotland already, combined with feeling relegated to a mere observer when i DO see her (my girlfriend and her mum take charge) leaves me in a most peculiar place, emotionally. Needless to say, I'm envying the fact that you've seen Michael every day of his life so far.

Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:23 am
This plus the Six Million Dollar Man coming out on official DVD must be making you jump for joy at the end of 2010 :)

Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:52 pm
oceansize wrote:
My children are 6 and 8 years old. A preview of an upcoming release :)

1. You will have time for one serious hobby. All else becomes irrelevant and impossible.

Do not despair at this. You will realize how inane many of your past hobbies were and you will wonder why you spent so much time on them. What will also occur, at least for me, is increased focus on what it is you do in your spare time, because you are keenly aware that your time is limited. For instance, my one serious hobby is tennis and I am immeasurably better now as a result of my children. I know my time on the practice court is limited, therefore I approach the practice court with a rigor I never had before.

I will add though, that with only one child you may have time for two hobbies. Just depends on how busy your child is in extracurricular activities.

I'll wrap up with this quote from the original Superman movie, as spoken by Marlon Brando:

You will see my life through your eyes, as your life will be seen through mine. The son becomes the father and the father becomes the son.

:o It's like you extracted from my brain everything I wanted to write -- down to the kids' ages! Amazing.
So, James? Yeap, everything he (she?) just said.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:17 pm
Gaffer

A touching piece, James.

Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:46 am
Site Admin

MrGuinness wrote:
This plus the Six Million Dollar Man coming out on official DVD must be making you jump for joy at the end of 2010 :)

Already have the entire series in my hands. :)

Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:11 pm
Profile WWW
Gaffer

Quote:
It's good that you can put a smile rather than a sad face right after saying that you have a mortgage!

Eh, Uncle Sam was pushing some nice incentives a year ago.... :D

Thanks for the welcome.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:17 pm
Director

Quote:
My catalog of Best Picture Oscar winners, originally planned to conclude late this year, may take until the end of next year to finish. My less ambitious goal is to have it done by Oscar night 2012. That's about one review every two weeks. I think it's feasible.

will there be any more reviews this year?

Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:50 pm
Hopefully James takes his cues on all things fatherhood from Danny McBride: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQunF42gtXI

Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:08 pm
Site Admin

calvero wrote:
Quote:
My catalog of Best Picture Oscar winners, originally planned to conclude late this year, may take until the end of next year to finish. My less ambitious goal is to have it done by Oscar night 2012. That's about one review every two weeks. I think it's feasible.

will there be any more reviews this year?

One or two more, plus TRON.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:13 am
Profile WWW
Director

Ooh, looking forward to the TRON review.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:17 am