August 17, 2010: "A Void in September" 
Site Admin

Post August 17, 2010: "A Void in September"
Click here to read topic.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:35 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: August 17, 2010: "A Void in September"
James Berardinelli wrote:

Good on you, JB, but I don't just say this because of the importance of family, especially children. I also say it because quite frankly, I think that there is a glut of film festivals to the point where they have little meaning. The only festival that I actually rate in terms of merit is Cannes- TIFF and the rest just provide the more hectic forum for debuting a film.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:45 pm
Love it that you sneak in words about your boy in your ReelThoughts. Let's us know how he's doing and all. Sounds like he's doing great. Good job you two...

Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:50 pm
Second Unit Director

I was thinking about the drop in DVD/Blu-Ray buys from amazon. Instant streaming on netflix is becoming more prevalent. New titles are added each week. I remember a while ago, James, you wrote an article saying you would prefer to pay a monthly fee for online access to a comprehensive library of movies than keep an extensive DVD collection at home. Netflix is slowly making that idea a reality.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:51 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

The 2001 film fest feels like eons ago. I do remember it well as it was my first year at the festival helping prepare a gala my company was holding at the top of the manulife centre the night of 9/11. Most of our guests were supposed to fly in that day and were obviously grounded so we cancelled it. Which was the least important as our company lost 200 friends at AON at the WTC. I had to make phone calls to those who were attending from a co-workers condo with the events unfolding on the tv machine as our office was located on the 44th floor in the TD centre and we evacuated the building. I'll never forget walking out to the street and seeing hundreds of people with their video cameras all pointing up at our building and the surrounding financial centre. It was so eerie.

Film has taken quite a turn since those days. 98-2001 for me were the glory days. Not only because I was involved in the festival personally so I had access to every film and would take friends and family to whatever was playing. I got VIP tickets, by-pass line and 12 comps per show being a sponsor, but the industry as a whole began a downward trend of safe and predictable and massive obstacles placed in front of independent features as a direct result of the events that year. And since then, it shows at the festival.

I stopped attending more then one feature since 2006 and have turned to your site as an indicator of what to look forward to. I'll miss it this year. Maybe it will force me out and attend a few screenings..

Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:49 pm
Producer

This is not surprising but still disappointing news. I've read your TIFF reports every year since I can remember. I've always looked forward to them every year. But you wanting to spend the time with your newborn is obviously totally understandable and commendable. Will still miss it though. :)

Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:36 am
With the birth of my daughter my yearly trip to my favorite rock and gem show has been curtailed from 4 days to 1 maybe 2 . I'm fortunate that my show is only a 2hr drive away so I can do it in a day. But I agree that it is so worth the trade off. :-)

Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:59 am
Site Admin

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Good on you, JB, but I don't just say this because of the importance of family, especially children. I also say it because quite frankly, I think that there is a glut of film festivals to the point where they have little meaning. The only festival that I actually rate in terms of merit is Cannes- TIFF and the rest just provide the more hectic forum for debuting a film.

Having been to quite a number of festivals, I'd say that Toronto is far and away the best in North America - it feels bigger and more global than any of the local ones (including the likes of Sundance, which gets more media attention that it's worth). I haven't been to Cannes, but I understand from those who have attended that it's very much like Toronto, with the exception that Cannes is essentially closed to the public while Toronto is open to it.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:25 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

jadedmoviegoer wrote:
I was thinking about the drop in DVD/Blu-Ray buys from amazon. Instant streaming on netflix is becoming more prevalent. New titles are added each week. I remember a while ago, James, you wrote an article saying you would prefer to pay a monthly fee for online access to a comprehensive library of movies than keep an extensive DVD collection at home. Netflix is slowly making that idea a reality.

The number of Blu-Rays/DVDs I buy has dropped dramatically over the past few years. In the last 12 months, I have purchased perhaps a dozen. Part of that is because I now use the Netflix streaming feature on a regular basis and part is because there aren't that many movies out there that I love enough to want a personal copy of.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:28 am
Profile WWW
Dear James:

I have been faithfully reading virtually everything you've posted on this site (in terms of reviews & commentaries, not stuff on these message boards) ever since I first discovered the place. I am extremely pleased to say that your decision to remain with your wife and son is an excellent one that you will undoubtedly never regret. More power to you, my friend, and best wishes to your family, who will also undoubtedly be the richer for your presence. Any given movie will always be around at a later date to enjoy and/or dissect. Your child's first years (and, in fact, all the rest of them) are once-in-a-lifetime treasures, and should be valued accordingly.

You've done the right thing (as if you didn't already know that) and I, for one, value your writing/reviews/opinions all the more because of it.

Cheers,
Geoff

Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:26 pm
I am not 100% sure how the Amazon links work, but I usually make it a point to link from your site when making purchases (which are for more that just movies and usually total >$500/month). What I do not know is how it works if I put items in the cart over several days and check out the next week.

Regarding reduced purchases of DVDs and BDs, it is not only the availability of Netflix streaming (which lags and has not the greates quality A/V quality), but I assume that a lot of people like me already bought many library titles and realized they are not watching them more than once. Not to mention that many of them do not neccessarily deserve BD quality upgrade, while DVDs seem like old technology and not worth owning.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:04 pm
dk61 wrote:
I am not 100% sure how the Amazon links work, but I usually make it a point to link from your site when making purchases (which are for more that just movies and usually total >$500/month). What I do not know is how it works if I put items in the cart over several days and check out the next week.

It doesn't work like that. The only way it that could work is if you left the site and your computer on for all those days.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:01 pm
I, for one, will really miss the Toronto coverage, but I can understand your need to be with your family as much as possible. Just know that there are those of us who do read the stuff ;) I've even gone back on occasion to re-read old coverage . . . I'll have to pick a year and do that this year for the hell of it, to fill the time while we wait for the doldrums of September to merge into the meaty awards season ;)

Off topic a bit, I did want to thank you, James, for your coverage of foreign films on occasion :) I live in an area where getting those films can be difficult to impossible in theaters, but I've been able to find a lot of good ones using Netflix and occasionally bittorrent . . . I really enjoyed finally getting to see "A Prophet" after your review, as well as the "Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" films and "Harry Brown." Being in such an isolated location, far from any indie film theaters, it's nice to get to see what I should put on my radar. So thanks!

Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:35 am
Site Admin

Patrick wrote:
dk61 wrote:

It doesn't work like that. The only way it that could work is if you left the site and your computer on for all those days.

Patrick is correct. You have to click to the site using any of the links from ReelViews, then add to the cart and purchase before clicking away to another site.

Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:01 pm
Profile WWW
Yeah, I'm doing okay financially, so I certainly could buy stuff from Amazon if I wanted to. According to my Amazon history page, I haven't purchased anything from them yet this year. And since January of 2008, I've made a bunch of purchases in the month of December for Christmas presents, but otherwise I have two purchases outside of December 08 and 09.

I have pretty much every movie and TV show I want so I really don't see the need to buy from Amazon much anymore. In 2005, I made 14 orders. In 2009, I made 2.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:44 pm
James Berardinelli wrote:
jadedmoviegoer wrote:

The number of Blu-Rays/DVDs I buy has dropped dramatically over the past few years. In the last 12 months, I have purchased perhaps a dozen. Part of that is because I now use the Netflix streaming feature on a regular basis and part is because there aren't that many movies out there that I love enough to want a personal copy of.

I'm with you 100%
I used to buy 3-5 DVD's a week and quickly reached 1000
I have 6 Blu Rays and no DVD's since Blu came out

I also became increasingly pissed at studios getting me to buy a film and then reissuing....

Netflix simply killed the urge to buy
Streaming is where we are at in this househol

Rob

Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:26 am
Cinematographer

I'm only a mild fan of the movies and will certainly never attend a major movie festival. I have gone to some local oldies festivals for a day (westerns, film noir, etc.). But I will feel the void. I've been reading Reelviews since sometime in the '90's and enjoy reading the festival coverage as much as everything else. Sorry you'll miss out on this year, but glad to still be getting your interesting views on whatever you have the time to share. You gain more than you lose by being an attentive father.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:27 pm
I'm sorry to hear about your significant decline in advertising revenue. It's a shame that you don't earn more money from all of the countless hours that you put into writing reviews and maintaining this site. You write far better reviews than all of the professional critics out there that write for major American newspapers, and yet while you don't make hardly any income for your writing, the other critics are at least guarenteed a sizeable source of income from their newspaper employer, despite the fact their writing is inferior to yours. The unfairness of it really gets under my skin.

I hope that you will once again start making enough revenue from the Amazon ads to justify keeping them up because whenever I buy anything from Amazon, I also ensure that I use the link on your site to gain access to Amazon, and then I make certain that I purchase the items in my cart before I leave Amazon and go on to a different website.

Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:32 pm
CasualDad wrote:
I'm only a mild fan of the movies and will certainly never attend a major movie festival.

I used to live in Belgium and regularly attended the Brussels International Film festival. But best of all was the science fiction and horror festival.

We'd get into costume, get painted up and howl at the movies.

Such fun!
Rob

Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:17 am