Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:01 pm

August 9, 2010: "Twas the Night Before" 
Gaffer

Post Re: August 9, 2010: "Twas the Night Before"
In May 2002 I drove to my local theater which was only a few miles away just to inquiry if Spider-Man was playing at midnight on that Thursday. It hadn't - but they would have had some great business in the college town I lived in. I can't remember my first midnight movie -maybe it wasn't until Live Free or Die Hard which played on a Tuesday night to a crowd about half full and all - including me - who were too young to have seen Die Hard in theaters in 1988. It was odd walking home at 3 AM on a Wednesday in Washington, DC - the city streets where empty and quiet during the summer night.

Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:14 pm
I remember going to see a midnight showing on [before?] opening day of Star Trek IV in Boston in Nov of 1986. It remains the most amazing group movie viewing experience I have ever had ... From the thunderous cheering of the sold-out crowd during the opening credits to the seemingly perfectly timed and perfectly suitable audible reactions to the script and acting ... it was beyond electric, it was spiritual [and I was not a trekkie then, in the interim or now ... I was a fan who enjoyed watching the original series in my youth ... I was 21 at the time].

Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:55 pm
Site Admin

enigma3535 wrote:
I remember going to see a midnight showing on [before?] opening day of Star Trek IV in Boston in Nov of 1986. It remains the most amazing group movie viewing experience I have ever had ... From the thunderous cheering of the sold-out crowd during the opening credits to the seemingly perfectly timed and perfectly suitable audible reactions to the script and acting ... it was beyond electric, it was spiritual [and I was not a trekkie then, in the interim or now ... I was a fan who enjoyed watching the original series in my youth ... I was 21 at the time].

If there was a midnight-night-before screening of STAR TREK IV, it was very limited in terms of locales. There wasn't anything around locally here (which includes the Philly metro area) until early afternoon (the film opened the day before Thanksgiving). I have written extensively about my experience of that opening which, to this day, remains the best time I have ever had in a theater leading up to the start of a film. I'm a couple of years younger than you - I was 19 at the time.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:04 am
Profile WWW