Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:27 am

May 10, 2010: "The ReelViews Shift" 
Post Re: May 10, 2010: "The ReelViews Shift"
Congratulations and all the best !

The kids born these day's are so lucky . They have a huge catalogue of great movies they still have to watch in between growing up.

Keep us updated on reelviews.

Tue May 18, 2010 9:57 am
Site Admin

ed_metal_head wrote:
Welcome. Using your time-scale I gather that JB will be able to post regularly in these forums again sometime around 2014, yes? :)

I actually don't expect a massive drop off. JB seems like he's an expert time manager. I already don't have any idea how the man balances a full time career and is also a critic/webmaster. Must slack off epically at work...

Forum postings will most likely decrease, although I will still monitor the "Berardinelli's Writings" section (as is evident from this post).

Yes, the baby eats up time, and there are some sleep deprivation issues, but nothing that makes me believe my initial expectations were unwarranted. Life goes on. He's sleeping next to me as I type this. There have been all sorts of unexpected twists and turns since his birth (some of which will be detailed in an upcoming ReelThoughts post) but my writing has not stopped, nor have I been forced to stop watching movies. In fact, I saw the fourth SHREK movie while my wife was still in the hospital recuperating (with her permission, of course).

Yes, I am an expert time manager but a terrible multi-tasker. :)

Tue May 18, 2010 2:25 pm
Profile WWW
Of course, congrats are in order.

But when my daughter was born in 2004, I took a laptop to the hospital and wrote a piece for einsiders.com on the whole affair. That's crazy, I know, but show us the baby pics man!

I can tell you that limiting yourself to one movie per week (theatrical) is a good idea. You can't give it up altogether. Like Shrek, you'd go completely insane.

Thu May 20, 2010 9:23 pm
Site Admin

DailyFilmFix wrote:
I can tell you that limiting yourself to one movie per week (theatrical) is a good idea. You can't give it up altogether. Like Shrek, you'd go completely insane.

Two, not one. And sometimes three. But I'm not going to Toronto this year.

Fri May 21, 2010 11:42 am
Profile WWW
I'm getting married on June 5th (second time for me, first for her). And I'm debating whether to take in the Karate Kid screening on June 1st. She might kill me, but I might have to make that one.

During Oscar season, I see something like 4 a week, especially when the "for your consideration" discs come in.

But I'm with you about Toronto. Probably skipping it again this year as well. But that's a great fest for journalists. Compare Tribeca that is all over town.

One thing you have to look forward to in the first year, if your baby is well fed and healthy, they tend to sleep through the night. My daughter was great for a few months and then began to develop breathing problems and things got tough. Also, dvds are a must, load up on as many screeners as you can take. Little films need your opinions too....

Fri May 21, 2010 11:58 am
Good luck with everything happening to you in the near future, James. Your review site is my favorite place to go for movie critiques. I check-in nearly every day and even look back at your old reviews. Obviously the amount of films you see/review will drop with your child. But for whatever you do write, I'll be here eager to read away. Thank you for all the years I've visited this site, and I hope to keep reading for years to come. :)

Tue May 25, 2010 5:31 pm
Gaffer

Hello James, long time reader, occasional emailer, new forum member.

I registered just to congratulate you on your impending Fatherhood! I also wanted to express my complete agreement about children and movie theaters. I almost dread going to the movies anymore. I am limited on when I can go, which is usually evenings, and it never fails that there is always a screaming child, a crying baby, "Mom" and "Dad" yelling commands to their children to sit down and shut up, and so I have gone to the movies less and less, and I miss it very much. It would be nice to see consideration of other movie-goers return to the movie theater, but I think matters may only become worse over time, and I have to be honest, a home theater is no match for that silver screen.

Once more, congratulations, James! :D

Thu May 27, 2010 7:22 pm
J.W. Allen wrote:
Hello James, long time reader, occasional emailer, new forum member.

I registered just to congratulate you on your impending Fatherhood! I also wanted to express my complete agreement about children and movie theaters. I almost dread going to the movies anymore. I am limited on when I can go, which is usually evenings, and it never fails that there is always a screaming child, a crying baby, "Mom" and "Dad" yelling commands to their children to sit down and shut up, and so I have gone to the movies less and less, and I miss it very much. It would be nice to see consideration of other movie-goers return to the movie theater, but I think matters may only become worse over time, and I have to be honest, a home theater is no match for that silver screen.

Once more, congratulations, James! :D

Hello and Welcome JW. You should probably congratulate James on his fatherhood rather than his impending fatherhood. A bit late for the "impending" part, no?

Great point about theatre attendance though. I'm guessing you're a fan of Avatar. To me, watching that movie at home is more or less worthless. A theatrical viewing is the only thing that makes sense.

Fri May 28, 2010 1:14 pm
Site Admin

ed_metal_head wrote:

Great point about theatre attendance though. I'm guessing you're a fan of Avatar. To me, watching that movie at home is more or less worthless. A theatrical viewing is the only thing that makes sense.

Depends on the movie. I would agree that a percentage of movies work considerably better on the big screen than the small screen but, when it comes to more sedate, character-driven dramas, one could argue that they work better in a home setting. This is especially true of "slow" movies, where the greatest enhancement can be a very comfortable seat and the ability to hit the pause button to use the rest room. I'm at a point where my body starts protesting if I'm sitting in a theater seat for >2 1/2 hours. When you see 150 or more movies per year, considerations of basic physical comfort become paramount, and my home recliner is rungs above even the best theater seat I have experienced. Plus, there are few unwanted distractions. (I can no longer say "no unwanted distractions," because there are times when the baby decides to cry.)

Fri May 28, 2010 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
Gaffer

ed_metal_head wrote:
Hello and Welcome JW. You should probably congratulate James on his fatherhood rather than his impending fatherhood. A bit late for the "impending" part, no?

Whoops! Somehow I missed that. :lol:
Yes, James, congratulations on your fatherhood. :D

I am an Avatar fan, and I watched it for the first time the other night in DVD format on my 23" 720p HDTV. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I enjoyed it enough that I immediately purchased it on Blu-ray and gave the DVD to a friend. Pop the Blu-ray into the player and it felt like a wholly different movie. I love the movie from start to finish, and I have to say that initially I was set against this movie. As a Star Trek 2009 fan, I slightly resented the VFX wins. Once I saw the movie, I immediately regretted my premature judgment.

What was interesting was that I would not have been able to see Avatar at the theater in 3D anyway. Our movie theater had a huge sign, on opening night, that said "AVATAR! Now Playing in 3D!" and immediately under the sign it said "(Not in 3D)". :lol:

That said, I can only imagine what seeing Avatar on the big screen would have been like.

James Berardinelli wrote:

Depends on the movie. I would agree that a percentage of movies work considerably better on the big screen than the small screen but, when it comes to more sedate, character-driven dramas, one could argue that they work better in a home setting. This is especially true of "slow" movies, where the greatest enhancement can be a very comfortable seat and the ability to hit the pause button to use the rest room. I'm at a point where my body starts protesting if I'm sitting in a theater seat for >2 1/2 hours. When you see 150 or more movies per year, considerations of basic physical comfort become paramount, and my home recliner is rungs above even the best theater seat I have experienced. Plus, there are few unwanted distractions. (I can no longer say "no unwanted distractions," because there are times when the baby decides to cry.)

Agreed. I like watching classic films on the small screen. I have a very nice thick padded office chair in my room that you can just lay back in and relax,
and watch the television, and that's good enough for me. Plus, for me, there's just something intimate and personal about watching a classic film alone, with all the lights out. It just feels right.

Although I must say I wouldn't mind having an HD projector, a blank wall, and 5.1 surround sound. That would be nice, too. :geek:

Fri May 28, 2010 7:16 pm
Congratulations on your impending child! All the best to your family.

Thank you for your top notch writing and insightful reviews.

Mon May 31, 2010 12:44 am
Congrats James!

I wonder if your style will change as you become a parent. Perhaps you'll get softer as a result of this monumental life change, perhaps you'll get harsher and more cynical :twisted:

Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:30 am
Last line of the 12th paragraph says "...ReelThoughts are even easier than video reviews, so those should increase as well. "

I was a bit surprised to read that, because film reviews themselves are "mandatory" in the sense that as a reviewer you might feel obliged to write them for the public so they can read them "in time". Reelthoughts on the other hand are musings which are not "mandatory" you probably write them when you have time and you feel like you want to write something (just guessing :-) ). So with how much things change with the new arrival i would have thought Reelthoughts would be the one that will come less frequently

or maybe some other reasons?

Cheers
Polar Bear

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:37 pm
Second Unit Director

We need another Reelthoughts fix!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:34 pm
Polar Bear wrote:
Last line of the 12th paragraph says "...ReelThoughts are even easier than video reviews, so those should increase as well. "

I was a bit surprised to read that, because film reviews themselves are "mandatory" in the sense that as a reviewer you might feel obliged to write them for the public so they can read them "in time". Reelthoughts on the other hand are musings which are not "mandatory" you probably write them when you have time and you feel like you want to write something (just guessing :-) ). So with how much things change with the new arrival i would have thought Reelthoughts would be the one that will come less frequently

or maybe some other reasons?

Cheers
Polar Bear

:shock: Whoa! A blast from the past. Nice to see you still check the site Polar Bear. How goes it?

Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:29 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:

:shock: Whoa! A blast from the past. Nice to see you still check the site Polar Bear. How goes it?

well it goes pretty hectic, but managing to hang in there. I do check the site quite regularly though have been guilty of not posting much in the forums lately due to any possible reasons - e.g. by the time i end up reading something interesting, most of you guys have already commented pretty much on all areas :-) and its not much worth replying and saying "i agree to"..

cheers
PB

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:40 pm
Polar Bear wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

well it goes pretty hectic, but managing to hang in there. I do check the site quite regularly though have been guilty of not posting much in the forums lately due to any possible reasons - e.g. by the time i end up reading something interesting, most of you guys have already commented pretty much on all areas :-) and its not much worth replying and saying "i agree to"..

cheers
PB

No worries, you're by no means the only one who does the same. Good to hear from you though. Pop in when you find the time.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:45 am
Site Admin

jadedmoviegoer wrote:

On the way. The problem with the first month after having a baby isn't the baby; it's all the people who want to visit. Also, while I'm okay with writing between, say, 8 a.m. and 8 p.m., my productivity drops off after that. So it's a matter of adjusting my schedule, which I have now accomplished. So expect to start seeing more ReelThoughts now as well as video reviews.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:18 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

James Berardinelli wrote:
jadedmoviegoer wrote:

On the way. The problem with the first month after having a baby isn't the baby; it's all the people who want to visit. Also, while I'm okay with writing between, say, 8 a.m. and 8 p.m., my productivity drops off after that. So it's a matter of adjusting my schedule, which I have now accomplished. So expect to start seeing more ReelThoughts now as well as video reviews.

Can we expect baby pictures? THEY'RE JUST AN UPLOAD AWAY!

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:26 pm