Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:55 am

January 05, 2010: "Sour Grapes and Fearless Predictions" 
Post Re: January 05, 2010: "Sour Grapes and Fearless Predictions"
Hahaha. My website's daily ad revenue is $2.12.

Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:08 pm
vvega wrote:
so how much is there truth to this http://www.websiteoutlook.com/www.reelviews.net

According to those stats 25% of the Reelviews audience is from India. Quick, James, review Dulha Mil Gaya.

And don't worry about ad revenue. I just spent $50 on Amazon and guess who is gonna get that commission baby. You have, like, $0.50 coming your way!

Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 pm
Site Admin

ChronoSpark wrote:
I think The Hurt Locker is really hindered by the fact that no one really saw it. It only made $12 million. That's far, FAR below something like Crash or No Country For Old Men, two recent and previous Best Pic winners that didn't break the "$100 million threshold". Before Crash, The Last Emperor was the first movie in a long time to win Best Picture without breaking $100 million at the domestic box office, and even that made more money than The Hurt Locker. The Academy is under a lot of pressure this year to please popular tastes. None of this is to say I wouldn't be happy if the movie won. I think it's definitely a deserving film. I just don't know if The Hurt Locker is the Oscar juggernaut some people are predicting.

The lack of exposure is not a big deal; in fact, it may be an asset. The difficulty with respect to low exposure pertains to the nomination, which won't be an issue here. THE HURT LOCKER will receive a limited theatrical re-release following its Oscar nomination, with the usual free admission for all Academy members. The buzz has been so hot about this film that everyone voting will want to see it.

It doesn't matter whether 95% of the country has or hasn't seen it. It matters that 95% of the voting Academy members have seen it, and that's accomplishable.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:06 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

ChronoSpark wrote:
Yeah, it was a huge one. I think my Oscar hatred started in '05 when BBM lost to Crash. Same kind of situation, in my personal opinion. I know James might not agree, but I think since '05 it's become more clear that Crash didn't deserve to win. Then again in '08... That was a freakin' travesty. Back in '98 I wasn't even paying attention to the Oscars. :D

CRASH did not deserve to win. But neither did BBM.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

ed_metal_head wrote:
vvega wrote:
so how much is there truth to this http://www.websiteoutlook.com/www.reelviews.net

According to those stats 25% of the Reelviews audience is from India. Quick, James, review Dulha Mil Gaya.

And don't worry about ad revenue. I just spent $50 on Amazon and guess who is gonna get that commission baby. You have, like, $0.50 coming your way!

The 25% from India is inaccurate. India is #5 on my traffic ranking, behind the U.S., Canada, the U.K., and Australia. Most interesting to me is that I have readers in Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, and Antarctica. I have zero readers in some of the African countries.

The revenue is not accurate, although it's not grossly wrong if one averages everything out across a year. But 2008 revenue was 50% higher than 2009 revenue, and 2010 looks even worse.

As for the value of the site... I don't have a clue. No one has offered to buy it from me. :)

Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:19 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

James Berardinelli wrote:
ChronoSpark wrote:
I think The Hurt Locker is really hindered by the fact that no one really saw it. It only made $12 million. That's far, FAR below something like Crash or No Country For Old Men, two recent and previous Best Pic winners that didn't break the "$100 million threshold". Before Crash, The Last Emperor was the first movie in a long time to win Best Picture without breaking $100 million at the domestic box office, and even that made more money than The Hurt Locker. The Academy is under a lot of pressure this year to please popular tastes. None of this is to say I wouldn't be happy if the movie won. I think it's definitely a deserving film. I just don't know if The Hurt Locker is the Oscar juggernaut some people are predicting.

The lack of exposure is not a big deal; in fact, it may be an asset. The difficulty with respect to low exposure pertains to the nomination, which won't be an issue here. THE HURT LOCKER will receive a limited theatrical re-release following its Oscar nomination, with the usual free admission for all Academy members. The buzz has been so hot about this film that everyone voting will want to see it.

It doesn't matter whether 95% of the country has or hasn't seen it. It matters that 95% of the voting Academy members have seen it, and that's accomplishable.

All of what you say is true, but I think you're underestimating the Academy's attempt to be more in tune with the public. Look at it this way: ratings for the Oscar telecast have been plummeting year after year. The Academy is continuing to look for ways to increase its viewership. I think it's obvious that it's a little desperate, what with the 10-nominees-a-year-too-late thing going on here. It's all a way to try to get more people to watch the telecast. I don't think that means that The Hurt Locker won't get nominated. It most surely will. But when it comes to actually winning, that's a different story. People want to see the movie win that THEY want to win. I think the Academy understands that. If no one's seen the movie, they can't very well root for it to win, can they?

I'm not saying The Hurt Locker won't win, and I would be happy if it did, I think it was one of the best films of 2009. But I think that its momentum isn't as hot strictly outside of critics circles as some people think it is. I admit I could be wrong on this front, and it could be the real winner. But I think a lot of people are counting out Avatar too soon simply because The Hurt Locker is winning the lion's share of critics awards. The movie that wins the most critics awards doesn't always (and more likely doesn't, I believe), win Best Picture come Oscar time.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:34 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

James Berardinelli wrote:
ChronoSpark wrote:
Yeah, it was a huge one. I think my Oscar hatred started in '05 when BBM lost to Crash. Same kind of situation, in my personal opinion. I know James might not agree, but I think since '05 it's become more clear that Crash didn't deserve to win. Then again in '08... That was a freakin' travesty. Back in '98 I wasn't even paying attention to the Oscars. :D

CRASH did not deserve to win. But neither did BBM.

I know you would've liked to see Munich win. We simply disagree there. At least we both agree that the wrong film won that night. :lol:

Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:35 pm
Profile WWW
Well, you were dead on about Avatar besting Titanic. I was skeptical until a few weeks ago. Now, I am making my own prediction. Avatar will make no less than $700 million domestic. It is estimated to drop only 20%ish this weekend from a holiday weekend. That is insane.

There are five more weekends left until Alice swoops in and takes the majority of screens. There is a very good chance it could still be pulling in close to $15-$20m the weekend before Alice.

If I were Fox, I would mount an ad campaign that announces Avatar's final days at IMAX. If everyone knows it will be leaving, it could see a good jump.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:28 pm
timgoens wrote:
Well, you were dead on about Avatar besting Titanic. I was skeptical until a few weeks ago. Now, I am making my own prediction. Avatar will make no less than $700 million domestic. It is estimated to drop only 20%ish this weekend from a holiday weekend. That is insane.

There are five more weekends left until Alice swoops in and takes the majority of screens. There is a very good chance it could still be pulling in close to $15-$20m the weekend before Alice.

If I were Fox, I would mount an ad campaign that announces Avatar's final days at IMAX. If everyone knows it will be leaving, it could see a good jump.

You think a Tim Burton film about a post-story based upon a story not everyone is enamored with will take over all the IMAX3D theaters if Avatar is still making gobs of money?

And I hate that I have to use the words IMAX3D to say what these theaters are. The one by me, the only difference I noticed was the bigger glasses and the dollar more they charged. Other than that, it was the same fucking sized screen as the regular 3D.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:50 pm
MrGuinness wrote:

You think a Tim Burton film about a post-story based upon a story not everyone is enamored with will take over all the IMAX3D theaters if Avatar is still making gobs of money?

And I hate that I have to use the words IMAX3D to say what these theaters are. The one by me, the only difference I noticed was the bigger glasses and the dollar more they charged. Other than that, it was the same fucking sized screen as the regular 3D.

I do when it is contracted to do so. There was a report that Avatar will be holding on to a few more 3D screens than originally thought, but you can kiss those IMAX goodbye.

You must unfortunately live by a LieMax. I have been to the IMAX that is the largest screen in Houston, and a LieMax. There is a VERY noticeable difference. Trust me.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:24 pm
Site Admin

timgoens wrote:
MrGuinness wrote:

I do when it is contracted to do so. There was a report that Avatar will be holding on to a few more 3D screens than originally thought, but you can kiss those IMAX goodbye.

It is indeed a contractual thing. However, there is some wiggle room. Most contracts of this sort stipulate "X number of showings per day for Y days." Thus, it's possible to rig the IMAX schedule so there can be a midnight screening of AVATAR every day, and when the "Y" period expires, it can go back in, if appropriate. See what IMAX theaters did regarding STAR TREK this past summer.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
When they made the announcement about IMAX signing Avatar for three months, I thought that seemed like a really long time.

Ha.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:33 pm
timgoens wrote:
You must unfortunately live by a LieMax. I have been to the IMAX that is the largest screen in Houston, and a LieMax. There is a VERY noticeable difference. Trust me.

LieMAX... I like that, and yes, thats def. what it is. I know James did a column on it before, but this is the first time I experienced it. What a sham.

True IMAX is a sight to behold. Sometimes it almost too much...

Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:25 am
Found it...

http://www.reelviews.net/reelthoughts.p ... tifier=580

Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:27 am
MrGuinness wrote:
timgoens wrote:

LieMAX... I like that, and yes, thats def. what it is. I know James did a column on it before, but this is the first time I experienced it. What a sham.

True IMAX is a sight to behold when what you are watching was filmed with an IMAX camera. I saw The Dark Knight and Avatar on a true 15/70 IMAX screen. The Dark Knight on that giant screen was absolutely awesome because some of it was actually filmed with an IMAX camera. While Avatar was still awesome, I'm not sure I got much more than if I had just seen it at a local digital projection theater. To me, putting films in IMAX through that conversion process is almost a big a lie as those fake IMAX screens. Can you imagine if Avatar was filmed completely with IMAX cameras?

Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:21 pm
Site Admin

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
MrGuinness wrote:
timgoens wrote:

True IMAX is a sight to behold when what you are watching was filmed with an IMAX camera. I saw The Dark Knight and Avatar on a true 15/70 IMAX screen. The Dark Knight on that giant screen was absolutely awesome because some of it was actually filmed with an IMAX camera. While Avatar was still awesome, I'm not sure I got much more than if I had just seen it at a local digital projection theater. To me, putting films in IMAX through that conversion process is almost a big a lie as those fake IMAX screens. Can you imagine if Avatar was filmed completely with IMAX cameras?

It was not "filmed" at all. AVATAR was captured digitally. No loss of resolution in IMAX theaters despite the larger screen size. It's the 35mm prints that undergo a conversion process.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:20 pm
Profile WWW
Thanks for the clarification. The Dark Knight did take up the entire screen whenever the IMAX scenes were displayed, and Avatar did not. Is this simply due to the aspect ratio that Cameron gave Avatar for the IMAX releases? Also, I remember an interview in which Cameron said he wished he could have used 4k film instead of 2k.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:12 pm
Site Admin

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Thanks for the clarification. The Dark Knight did take up the entire screen whenever the IMAX scenes were displayed, and Avatar did not. Is this simply due to the aspect ratio that Cameron gave Avatar for the IMAX releases? Also, I remember an interview in which Cameron said he wished he could have used 4k film instead of 2k.

You nailed it. There was no change in the aspect ratio for IMAX theaters because it would have resulted in a loss of information.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:20 pm
Profile WWW
My fearless prediction for 2011:
James will review the 'Arrested Development' movie, let a one sentence round off about the show (which may be either positive or negative), and immediately cause the entire forum to PM about his thoughts on the series until -

Prediction for 2012:
Yeah, until 2012.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:03 pm
Site Admin

Evenflow8112 wrote:
My fearless prediction for 2011:
James will review the 'Arrested Development' movie, let a one sentence round off about the show (which may be either positive or negative), and immediately cause the entire forum to PM about his thoughts on the series until -

I have the entire series on DVD - was given it as a gift. Haven't watched any episodes, though. I'll probably watch a few before the movie comes out. If I like it, I'll end up watching the whole thing.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:06 pm
Profile WWW