It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:50 pm

February 14, 2009: "Welcome to the Forums" 
Site Admin

Post February 14, 2009: "Welcome to the Forums"
Click here to read topic.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:52 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: February 14, 2009: "Welcome to the Forums"
From a hit count perspective (kidding on the 'hits' metric) I think it was a wise move to add the forums. Almost everything on the web his some sort of discussion element, YouTube, news articles, Facebook, online retailers, and so on. The community is a large attraction in itself and typically brings in more viewers and readers. I'm sure Reelviews fans are some of the best on the web.

I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:19 pm
LordofthePing wrote:
From a hit count perspective (kidding on the 'hits' metric) I think it was a wise move to add the forums. Almost everything on the web his some sort of discussion element, YouTube, news articles, Facebook, online retailers, and so on. The community is a large attraction in itself and typically brings in more viewers and readers. I'm sure Reelviews fans are some of the best on the web.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:22 pm
LordofthePing wrote:

Good point.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:48 pm
Getting users involved and having the forum aspect essentially creates constant product, a steady lure to the site even when you can't write as often as you'd like. I think this will prove to be a great idea, long term, James.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:37 pm
I am a long-time Reelviews reader and have been waiting/hoping for the addition of some form of interactive component for some time. Good move James.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:42 pm
It also gives us reelviews addicts an opportunity to post our opinions without having to constantly email James ... I, for one, have probably emailed him way too many times, and am grateful that he has responded a great deal more often than I likely would have in his shoes ;)

Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:44 pm
Agreed. I've thought of emailing him more times than I can remember, but only followed through on it a couple times (on topics such as HDTV and the Toronto International Film Festival) since I figured he'd be busy and whatnot. Of course, he was nice enough to respond.

I wonder though, will he be active at all in the forums as well (not just with posting topics)? :)

Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:09 pm
Just dropping in to say Hi to everyone who's got in early to these new forums. I've been reading regularly since about 2001, and it's been interesting to see the site - and computers / the web in general - evolve during that time. I have to say, I wasn't aware that "sites without some form of interaction were withering," but I've long since stopped being surprised by things I discover online, and it seems a plausible enough statement.

Hopefully this will prove to be a good new addition to ReelViews.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:14 pm
Hey,
I've been visiting Reelviews for almost ten years now and it's great to see that James decided on a forum----finally!

Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:01 pm
marcusR wrote:
Agreed. I've thought of emailing him more times than I can remember, but only followed through on it a couple times (on topics such as HDTV and the Toronto International Film Festival) since I figured he'd be busy and whatnot. Of course, he was nice enough to respond.

I wonder though, will he be active at all in the forums as well (not just with posting topics)? :)

He's posted fairly regularly in some of the longer threads ... and if you had a question post for him, I'd be pretty sure he'd answer it :) It's easier to make a quick scan of a forum and a few posts than to go through a ton of email, in my experience.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:04 pm
Site Admin

jksander wrote:
He's posted fairly regularly in some of the longer threads ... and if you had a question post for him, I'd be pretty sure he'd answer it :) It's easier to make a quick scan of a forum and a few posts than to go through a ton of email, in my experience.

Yes, it is.

And, much as I'd love to say I answer all e-mail, I don't. There are times when I'm too tired or too overwhelmed and I don't respond to everything. I READ everything but there are times when people believe that the lack of a response equates to their being ignored.

I am hoping that a side benefit of adding the forums will be less e-mail. :)

Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:56 pm
Profile WWW
Hi James. Thanks for providing this chat forum. I'll look forward to sharing my own thoughts to some of your film reviews, and seeing what your other readers have to say. Best of luck!

Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:17 pm
I, for one, am also very excited to finally have a way to talk with you and other members of this site. I've been reading for four years and have loved all of it.You have something interesting to say about everything.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:26 pm
I've been reading your reviews since 1994, James. Glad to see a forum here, and hope to be a part of the discussion every so often.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:24 am
Hi James,
Good idea to start thse forums. But just one question though. What was wrong in putting the forums at the bottom of the corresponding review or ReelThought? Or maybe you could make paste a link which would lead us to the forums of that particular review. I mean, it would be much easier to navigate, wouldn't it?
And also, when I log in, why don't you send us directly to the forums? Then, maybe on top of every page you could write: You are signed in as username. Instead, you've made a separate page for that.
But, otherwise, the forums are just great. This is a great place to interact with each other and with you.
This site just keeps getting better and better!
Arun
PS: What's with that new ad on top of your homepage??

Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:06 am
Hi everyone,

I've been following reelviews for about three years now, finding ReelViews to be even more unique and interesting than the actuall reviews (which I also enjoy, of course). My only "contribution" to the site so far was some feedback on the launch of version 2.0, but this forum is likely to change that - good move to put it up, James!

Edit: come to think about it, it's more like six years - time goes by so quickly...
And my username (meaning "Dark Troll" in English) is not to suggest I'm going to make "troll"-postings or something. It just popped up out of the RuneQuest book of creatures back in 1996, when I was searching for a yahoo or eBay username that wasn't already taken... ;-)

Last edited by Dunkeltroll on Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:59 pm
James, this is an amazing idea, and I really like what I see so far on these forums...

I formerly posted at Rotten Tomatoes, but people are pretty rude and obnoxious there, so I am here now...

Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:24 pm
etifupleez wrote:
James, this is an amazing idea, and I really like what I see so far on these forums...

I formerly posted at Rotten Tomatoes, but people are pretty rude and obnoxious there, so I am here now...

Was thinking of signing up there too, but won't bother now. Thanks for the heads-up, :).

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:21 pm
Hi James, I just wanted to say that I have been very impressed with the sites newest changes. I have been an almost everyday visitor since idk around 2003-2004, since then your nickname has been the "review guy" to me and my friends. I value and respect your opinion and almost always agree with you (except when you got rid of the A-z archieves, what was that about?). You might find it interesting that I am 19, so not all teenagers are money producing robots for hollywood (just most haha) I think the forums will be a great idea, and I basically just wanted to introduce myself say keep up the great work on the website

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:48 pm