It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:54 am

July 07, 2009: "The Halftime Top 10" 
Site Admin

Post July 07, 2009: "The Halftime Top 10"
Click here to read topic.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:15 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: July 07, 2009: "The Halftime Top 10"
Whooo! Adventureland FTW. I am very surprised by The Uninvited being on this list. I didn't like it all. I guessed Public Enemies to be on the list instead. I got 8/10 right in terms of what's on the list, but I got the order wrong almost completely.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:20 pm
Blace wrote:
Whooo! Adventureland FTW. I am very surprised by The Uninvited being on this list. I didn't like it all. I guessed Public Enemies to be on the list instead. I got 8/10 right in terms of what's on the list, but I got the order wrong almost completely.

That's about how well I did. I at least guessed all of the ***1/2 entries in the correct order so that feels pretty good! Too bad that doesn't count for anything (damn you, Evenflow).

Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:29 pm
Adventureland was actually my #2 film for the first six months; "Away We Go" was my #1 film.

Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:19 am
hmmm...more surprised star trek made the list than anything else. but its my fault i guess, james being a huge fan and all.

Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:43 am
I would have to have The Hangover on my list...

Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:09 pm
Now that they've expanded their Best Picture roster to 10 possible nominees for this year's Oscars, hopefully Adventureland will have a shot! Might be a long shot though! At least it deserves consideration for Best Original Screenplay.

Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:57 pm
oafolay wrote:
Now that they've expanded their Best Picture roster to 10 possible nominees for this year's Oscars, hopefully Adventureland will have a shot! Might be a long shot though! At least it deserves consideration for Best Original Screenplay.

Right now there's no awards buzz for it. Something would have to happen--the studio would have to put out FYC ads for it of course. But even that is not likely to happen with how little buzz there is for it so far. Maybe if it is more successful on DVD people will take note. I hope that happens, and I agree that it deserves consideration for Best Original Screenplay if nothing else.

Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:06 pm
I would honestly have to put The Hangover in any first half top 10.

Comedies never get the appreciation they deserve. Nobody ever respects pure comedies in the artistic sense.

Oh, and Drag Me to Hell as well. Comedies and Horror: The red headed step children of awards consideration.

Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:13 pm
Deberg_1990 wrote:
I would honestly have to put The Hangover in any first half top 10.

Comedies never get the appreciation they deserve. Nobody ever respects pure comedies in the artistic sense.

Oh, and Drag Me to Hell as well. Comedies and Horror: The red headed step children of awards consideration.

Action films are often in this category as well.

Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:18 pm
Glad to see Adventureland at the top of your list, even though I was expecting it to be, it is still nice to see the best and most under-appreciated film of the year (so far) get some recognition. 2009 has definitely felt like a very slow year for good films so far. Although I think that we were all spoiled by 2008, which was a great year for movies in general, but especially for summer movies. This is just another year where we're just going to have to wait for November and December before anything halfway decent comes out.

As for people asking for The Hangover in the Top 10 or in their Top 10, I agree with James, it's not Top 10 material. In a slow year for movies, anything that is even relatively good will get overblown, which is what I think is happening with The Hangover. People are calling it the funniest movie ever and such, but it all really is just overpraise for a good movie in a year that's been populated by crap.

Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:35 pm
Site Admin

BANKA wrote:
Glad to see Adventureland at the top of your list, even though I was expecting it to be, it is still nice to see the best and most under-appreciated film of the year (so far) get some recognition. 2009 has definitely felt like a very slow year for good films so far. Although I think that we were all spoiled by 2008, which was a great year for movies in general, but especially for summer movies. This is just another year where we're just going to have to wait for November and December before anything halfway decent comes out.

As for people asking for The Hangover in the Top 10 or in their Top 10, I agree with James, it's not Top 10 material. In a slow year for movies, anything that is even relatively good will get overblown, which is what I think is happening with The Hangover. People are calling it the funniest movie ever and such, but it all really is just overpraise for a good movie in a year that's been populated by crap.

In terms of stuff I saw this week, BRUNO is funnier than THE HANGOVER, but I'm not sure it's a better movie. And (500) DAYS OF SUMMER would have placed high on the list if it had come out a couple of weeks earlier.

Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:19 am
Profile WWW
Quote:
1. Adventureland: The best, most honest romantic comedy in years. It's hard to find anyone who has seen this and hasn't been surprised and impressed by it. Unfortunately, due in large part to a dreadful marketing campaign that made this look like something it's not, box office receipts were weak. Hopefully, the film will find its audience once it reaches the video stores late in the summer.

I think another reason why this didn't too hot at the box-office was because the weekend that it opened, everyone else was too busy gorging themselves on the Fast and Furious flick, which opened the same weekend. I personally can't wait for this to get to DVD so that I can immediately snap up a copy; I too hope that this film will be able to reach a wider audience once that happens but I won't be holding my breath.

Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:19 pm
James Berardinelli wrote:
BANKA wrote:

In terms of stuff I saw this week, BRUNO is funnier than THE HANGOVER, but I'm not sure it's a better movie. And (500) DAYS OF SUMMER would have placed high on the list if it had come out a couple of weeks earlier.

Yay! Glad to hear it, I was guessing/hoping that you would like it.

Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:11 pm
James Berardinelli wrote:
BANKA wrote:

When I saw the trailer for (500) Days of Summer I had a feeling that it might have a chance of being the Juno or Little Miss Sunshine of this summer, glad to hear you liked it. Besides any movie that prominently features The Smith's is damn good in my book.

Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:44 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Good top 10 overall, though it's disappointing that James didn't get a chance to review Lymelife which is my pick for best movie of the year so far.

Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:24 pm
Gaffer

I went to (500) Days of Summer this afternoon and loved it. That one knocks The Uninvited off the Top 10. I've seen Star Trek, Up, and The Hurt Locker. I plan on seeing Moon this week as well. The Brothers Bloom is probably out of theaters. I have no interest in going to My Sister's Keeper if that's still playing. Adventureland and The Class looked good from the trailers and reviews - but I didn't have a chance to them. Sin Nombre however completely flew under my radar. I read James Berardinelli and Roger Ebert weekly but even their rave reviews didn't bring my attention to this film. I felt the same surprise when Frozen River was nominated for several Oscars in January. Even though I only go to 25 or 30 films a year, I am still a movie follower - taking in all the hype and the buzz. I didn't say, "oh, I wanted to go to Frozen River," but "What the heck is Frozen River?"

Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:48 pm
Gaffer

Here's how much the Top 11 have made at the box office so far. Literally hits and misses.

Title---Total Gross --- Current Theater Count
(500) Days of Summer --- $3,009,526 --- 85
The Uninvited --- $28,596,818 --- 0
Star Trek --- $254,020,378 --- 307
Up --- $283,690,231 --- 1070
The Brothers Bloom --- $3,479,844 --- 49
My Sister's Keeper --- $45,082,015 --- 1258
The Class --- $3,766,810 --- 0
Sin Nombre --- $2,536,665 --- 0
Moon --- $3,370,366 --- 201
The Hurt Locker --- $4,015,070 --- 238
Adventureland --- $16,044,025 --- 0