Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:51 pm

August 30, 2009: "I Hate Vampires" 
Post Re: August 30, 2009: "I Hate Vampires"
Anybody saw 1992's Innocent Blood? While no masterpiece, it was an enjoyable vampire movie. Funny, original and with good SFX. On the other hand, Van Helsing felt like a bad videogame.

Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:36 pm
I was reasonably civil with 'Twilight' until 9 PM today, when my girlfriend informed me that I was to be dressed and made up as Edward Cullen for Halloween at her college. Sadly enough, with contacts, pale make-up, and some serious gel, this plan is plausible... :o

Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:53 am
Evenflow8112 wrote:
I was reasonably civil with 'Twilight' until 9 PM today, when my girlfriend informed me that I was to be dressed and made up as Edward Cullen for Halloween at her college. Sadly enough, with contacts, pale make-up, and some serious gel, this plan is plausible... :o

But it's also an excuse to mentally and verbally abuse her like Edward does Bella which your woman deserves.

Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:30 am
Cartman86 wrote:
Maybe i'm trying too hard to reconcile my sickening love for Buffy and Angel, but I wonder what it is about those shows that is acceptable to me versus Twilight and True Blood. I came to the conclusion that it's not the horror or the vampires themselves (after all Buffy pretty much drops the Vampire stuff after a couple years). The monsters were never the point in Buffy. It was the writing, the characters, the drama, and the humor. It was a smart as hell show. Twilight obviously has none of that and True Blood while at times attempting to delve into racism, homophobia, and fundamentalism is pretty much pure cheese. Fun cheese at that. So I've come to realize that I don't I really care how if the vampires are demons, or evil, or misunderstood. All that matters is the stuff around that. One can say that about anything though...

I have often seen threads where people state that they hate a type of film. Let it be Comic book, Kids, Romance etc.
I also put forward the same opinion.
No matter what the genre is, As long as it is a well made, well written, well produced and has good acting ni it, the result will always be a great film.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:19 am
Site Admin

Evenflow8112 wrote:

If your girlfriend is desirous of putting you through this sort of mental anguish, it's time to move on. If she's not more respectful of you now, think how things could be in the future...

(Not sure if I should add a smiley.)

Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:22 pm
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:

If your girlfriend is desirous of putting you through this sort of mental anguish, it's time to move on. If she's not more respectful of you now, think how things could be in the future...

(Not sure if I should add a smiley.)

I can just imagine this now:

Me: "Hey baby, James Berardinelli thinks I should break up with you."
Her: "Who's James Bera-"
*Click*

*Duly noted, however.*

Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:37 am
Boy am I glad my girlfriend's not a Twilight freak! She's more of a casual fan in that she likes the books but hated the film.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:41 am
Vexer wrote:
Blah blah blah I have a girlfriend blah blah blah

There. Is. No. God.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:52 am
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

There. Is. No. God.

Say what you will about Evenflow8112 but don't ever accuse the guy of being anything less than brutally forthright when it comes to the many loves of Vexer.

Hmmmm.

The Many Loves of Vexer.

I... I can almost see that title in lights. Starring Marvin Vexopolous as himself, of course.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:20 am
majoraphasia wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

There. Is. No. God.

Say what you will about Evenflow8112 but don't ever accuse the guy of being anything less than brutally forthright when it comes to the many loves of Vexer.

Hmmmm.

The Many Loves of Vexer.

I... I can almost see that title in lights. Starring Marvin Vexopolous as himself, of course.

Hey! What the hell did I say to any of you to deserve bullshit like this!!!! :evil: Just because I have vastly different tastes form you guys dosen't mean i'm incapable of of having a girlfriend, you guys on the other hand seem so intent on being petty and stupid that i'm having a damn hard time believing any of you(especially Evenflow) have EVER had ANY romantic relations whatosever! :evil:

Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:49 am
Vexer wrote:
Hey! What the hell did I say to any of you to deserve bullshit like this!!!! :evil: Just because I have vastly different tastes form you guys dosen't mean i'm incapable of of having a girlfriend, you guys on the other hand seem so intent on being petty and stupid that i'm having a damn hard time believing any of you(especially Evenflow) have EVER had ANY romantic relations whatosever! :evil:

This one's for free, Vexer:

Lighten up, squirt.

It isn't too late to stop taking anything on this forum seriously. Evenflow was clearly joking. I was clearly joking. CLEARLY JOKING. I harbor no personal ill will toward you or anyone else on this forum. If everyone starts playing nice and censoring themselves whenever they feel someone may get offended we'll invariably start burning books. And once we start burning those books we'll have to enforce the illegality of books by building robot dogs to hunt down anyone keeping forbidden tomes in their house. And you know what happens next? We start outsourcing the fire departments to do the dirty work of book burning. But... there will be one firefighter who doesn't want to burn those books. Maybe he'll even surreptitiously read one and think "Hey! This isn't so bad!" Eventually he'll join other people that share his mindset and they'll memorize all sorts of books in order to prepare for a better future, one not informed by endless television and shades of gray.

Hey... that's a pretty good idea! Someone should write a book about what I just typed and call it Celsius 232.7777777777778. Because, Vexer, that's the temperature at which pages burn. Coincidentally, it's the same temperature at which copywrite infringements burn. What a world!

So, in short:

Vampires? Man. Enough already. Someone should start making movies about zombies.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:15 am
Just curious:

How do I 'particularly' have no girlfriend? I mean, I'm not caviar, but I can definitely talk my way up to a well-marinaded tilapia with minimal effort.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:22 am
Vexer wrote:

Ah, the old "you disagree with me, you're fat and can't get a girlfriend" card, but with a twist. Vex, baby, I think majora covered it pretty well that we're all joking. This is a message board where a bunch of film geeks can get together and agree that every movie that was every a classic is a classic; yet here you are, boldly disagreeing with much of what has been said. I'm GLAD that you voice your opinion, man, but you have to realize that your opinions are outside of the mainstream consensus and might be subjected to a little scrutiny or polite ribbing. You need not be so defensive about it, you know? A lot of other people have character quirks that are subjected to the same thing. When Rob was around, he used to sign his posts with his name. We all thought that was cute; I can think of at least four people who imitated him. And who wants to mimic the tragicomic who is majoraphasia? I know I do. That Magnolia post was golden. Just... it's the internet, man.

So bottom line: I have had romantic relationships, and vampires can eat my shorts.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:10 am
majoraphasia wrote:
Vexer wrote:

This one's for free, Vexer:

Lighten up, squirt.

It isn't too late to stop taking anything on this forum seriously. Evenflow was clearly joking. I was clearly joking. CLEARLY JOKING. I harbor no personal ill will toward you or anyone else on this forum. If everyone starts playing nice and censoring themselves whenever they feel someone may get offended we'll invariably start burning books. And once we start burning those books we'll have to enforce the illegality of books by building robot dogs to hunt down anyone keeping forbidden tomes in their house. And you know what happens next? We start outsourcing the fire departments to do the dirty work of book burning. But... there will be one firefighter who doesn't want to burn those books. Maybe he'll even surreptitiously read one and think "Hey! This isn't so bad!" Eventually he'll join other people that share his mindset and they'll memorize all sorts of books in order to prepare for a better future, one not informed by endless television and shades of gray.

Hey... that's a pretty good idea! Someone should write a book about what I just typed and call it Celsius 232.7777777777778. Because, Vexer, that's the temperature at which pages burn. Coincidentally, it's the same temperature at which copywrite infringements burn. What a world!

So, in short:

Vampires? Man. Enough already. Someone should start making movies about zombies.
Umm, IK wouldn't exactly say that was clearly a joke, it sure as hell didn't seem like one to me, and why the hell was it even necessary? Why am I always the target of bad jokes? And honesty I didn't even understand a damn word of the rest of what you typed, you pretty much lost me with that whole book burning thing, which made little sense
:?

Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:41 am
Major was talking about Fahrenheit 451 a book/movie about...what major was talking about. He covered it pretty well.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:29 pm
Vexer wrote:
Umm, IK wouldn't exactly say that was clearly a joke, it sure as hell didn't seem like one to me, and why the hell was it even necessary? Why am I always the target of bad jokes? And honesty I didn't even understand a damn word of the rest of what you typed, you pretty much lost me with that whole book burning thing, which made little sense
:?

Alright. I see the problem now. Rest assured that I mean no offense, toward you, all of the time. Write whatever you want, opine however you want, and don't worry about any extra words I seem to be using. They're just there for ornamentation.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:24 pm
Director

When I get my first girlfriend, I'll make sure she isn't in love with Rob Pattinson's vampire looks and charms.

Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:49 pm
Profile YIM
Let's get back on topic.
Ray Bradbury discussion moved here.

Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:13 pm