Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:37 am

August 06, 2009: "Summer Breeze" 
Post Re: August 06, 2009: "Summer Breeze"
James,

Lots of comments

Summer 2009 is doing Ok at the box office. the only thing that is disrupting the data is last years Dark Knight
2009 is still well ahead of all years and heading for the first 10Bn year
Blu Ray is great if your screen is 50" and more
that said a DVD upscaled is pretty awesome as well
I have a 120" screen and 1080p projector and own zero Blu Rays :-(

I bought over 1000 DVD's and nothing for 18 months!

It's all about those little red envelopes baby
Rob

Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:59 am
I think the studios are getting the message about blu ray prices, because every blu ray I've picked up lately has been less than twenty dollars. Most for less than fifteen. I've been re-buying only a few, ones with really terrible DVD transfers, but I can definitely see a significant difference on my T.V.

Last edited by Kimsey on Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:11 pm
Just want to throw in my 2 pennies...

I have a Netflix account...
I have never use a Redbox, although there is one at the grocery store I shop at...
I do not have a Blu Ray player and will probably never own one (even if it is a PS3) because I will never buy a Blu Ray movie (I feel it is the LaserDisc of today)...
I don't go to the theaters unless it is a movie I have a true desire to watch (seriously, I/we can't just go out on a whim and watch whatever movie is released that weekend...it almost has to be an event we plan)...
The movies I have seen this year in the theaters include Adventureland, Up, The Hangover, and Funny People...
Although there are many other titles I wish to watch (The Hurt Locker, (500) Days of Summer, Moon, Food Inc., Dead Snow, Rudo y Cursi, Away We Go, The Class, etc.) they are not show in the nearby (would have to travel at least 50 miles, in Los Angeles County, which means effing traffic, to get to them)...which brings me to another point that has not much to do with this topic but...damnit...why can't independent films come to our towns on the big screen? I know the answer to that by the way ($), I just feel the need to ask...

What am I trying to say?

I don't know....um, I like to use parenthesis?

Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:38 am
Director

Studios feel those types of films wouldn't interest movie goers. They'll serve us lame crap instead of a film that'll make a group of people think will watching.

Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:35 am
Profile YIM
Jeffy3 wrote:
I really don't think $100M gross qualifies as a blockbuster anymore. A lot of bad movies with poor word of mouth achieve that in a week or so with the higher ticket prices and saturation of the theaters.

I would have to agree with you there.
If a film makes less than 150 million then in some cases it will have lost money.
Also It is worth considering that in the last few years the considered value of a 1 million dollars has reduced. If you mentioned 150 million to anyone 20 years ago people would be think you were talking about budgets for an entire country not just a film.

Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:46 am